Jump to topic:

Monogamy

Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 1:44:17 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Is is natural, is it desirable, is it realistic?
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 1:54:05 AM
It's artificial.

I desire it at this time. You might not and that's your right. But don't go claiming it's unrealistic to get there, just come out and say you want polyamory, living with the consequences.

Realistic for whom to expect of whom? All I can realistically expect in the near future based on data so far is celibacy.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 1:56:55 AM
At 1/22/2011 1:54:05 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Realistic for whom to expect of whom? All I can realistically expect in the near future based on data so far is celibacy.

One day you will be suprised.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 2:29:36 AM

Wow, listen to Tony Robbins tapes or something. You need a pick me up.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 2:29:57 AM
At 1/22/2011 1:56:55 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

One day you will be suprised.

I do hope you're right. ^_^
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 2:30:30 AM
At 1/22/2011 2:29:36 AM, bluesteel wrote:

Wow, listen to Tony Robbins tapes or something. You need a pick me up.

I thought the near future qualifier was a pick me up.
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 2:36:00 AM
Your subconscious mind is like a sponge soaking up suggestions. If you suggest to it that you're not good with women, then it will help you manifest that suggestion.

A beautiful woman won't just fall into your lap one day. You gotta make it happen.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into - Jonathan Swift (paraphrase)
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 2:46:00 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org...
bluesteel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 3:12:15 AM
At 1/22/2011 2:46:00 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

um, not what I had in mind. More like this --->
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 7:42:55 AM
At 1/22/2011 1:44:17 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:
Is is natural, is it desirable, is it realistic?:

The paradox is that people are naturally drawn to both monogamy and polyandry.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 8:56:12 AM
At 1/22/2011 8:15:47 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
It's natural. Its desirability is inconsistent. Asking whether it's "realistic" doesn't make a lot of sense.:

People want their significant others to be monogamous and they want to be polyandrous.

You can't have your cake and eat it too!!!
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 8:59:06 AM
At 1/22/2011 8:56:12 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
It's natural. Its desirability is inconsistent. Asking whether it's "realistic" doesn't make a lot of sense.:

People want their significant others to be monogamous and they want to be polyandrous.

People usually want their significant others to be monogamous, and they sometimes want to be polyandrous.

You can't have your cake and eat it too!!!

Wanting to be polyandrous while your significant other remains monogamous isn't a contradiction (which is what that statement is used to point out)--it's just something that's stupid to go into a relationship expecting, and something which, consequently, is often a deal-breaker.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 9:04:30 AM
People usually want their significant others to be monogamous, and they sometimes want to be polyandrous.:

Same difference.

Wanting to be polyandrous while your significant other remains monogamous isn't a contradiction (which is what that statement is used to point out)--it's just something that's stupid to go into a relationship expecting, and something which, consequently, is often a deal-breaker.:

I'm just pointing out people's motivations. Often when people are in relationships, they begin to desire freedom, when they're single, they often want companionship beyond intercourse. A bit of a paradox.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 9:08:21 AM
At 1/22/2011 9:04:30 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
People usually want their significant others to be monogamous, and they sometimes want to be polyandrous.:

Same difference.

No it isn't. I added the qualifiers because your way of saying it sounded like an erroneous generalization.

Wanting to be polyandrous while your significant other remains monogamous isn't a contradiction (which is what that statement is used to point out)--it's just something that's stupid to go into a relationship expecting, and something which, consequently, is often a deal-breaker.:

I'm just pointing out people's motivations. Often when people are in relationships, they begin to desire freedom, when they're single, they often want companionship beyond intercourse. A bit of a paradox.

I wouldn't say it's a paradox. I'd chalk it up to the human tendency to be curious about our opportunity costs.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 9:25:46 AM
At 1/22/2011 9:08:21 AM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 1/22/2011 9:04:30 AM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

Same difference.

No it isn't. I added the qualifiers because your way of saying it sounded like an erroneous generalization.:

I know it was a generalization. I was simply explaining the rationale of those that do view it this way.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 11:36:09 AM
It's natural. Its desirability is inconsistent. Asking whether it's "realistic" doesn't make a lot of sense.

Realistic as in generally obtainable.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 11:43:34 AM
Monogamy...

Natural? Possibly. There has been countless studies for and against the notion.

Desirable? If you are prone to jealousy and possessiveness, then I would say that it would be desirable for you. Personally, I would rather enter in on a relationship which is open unless my potential partner has expressed a disliking for the idea.

Realistic? That depends on the person, don't you think?
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 11:48:29 AM
At 1/22/2011 3:12:15 AM, bluesteel wrote:

I don't think anyone should take pick up advice from men who call themselves mystery or matador.

Ragnar just needs to find his mojo, thats all.
Cody_Franklin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 11:49:51 AM
At 1/22/2011 11:48:29 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

I don't think anyone should take pick up advice from men who call themselves mystery or matador.

Ragnar just needs to find his mojo, thats all.

Maybe we should get his consent to pin him down, then get his consent to force a lot of testosterone into his system.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 12:05:38 PM
At 1/22/2011 11:48:29 AM, Cerebral_Narcissist wrote:

I don't think anyone should take pick up advice from men who call themselves mystery or matador.:

Concurred.

Ragnar just needs to find his mojo, thats all.:

Picking up girls is the easy part... Getting rid of them is a different matter.