Total Posts:59|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Legal age of consent, what should it be?

Chloe8
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2016 8:18:16 PM
Posted: 1 week ago
When in your opinion should a person be allowed to consent to sexual relations?

It's interesting how this varies in Europe;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

And North America;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

In my opinion my country (The UK) is one of the countries to adopt the correct legal age of consent, 16 years of age. The age of consent in all parts of Mexico is clearly too low, 13 and 14 year olds should not be allowed to consent to sexual activity. I also consider the age of consent in many US states to be too high. Clearly 17 year olds should be allowed to legally consent to sex.

What's your opinion? What age do you think should be the legal age of consent?
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
kevin24018
Posts: 1,862
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2016 8:58:19 PM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/28/2016 8:18:16 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
When in your opinion should a person be allowed to consent to sexual relations?

It's interesting how this varies in Europe;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

And North America;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

In my opinion my country (The UK) is one of the countries to adopt the correct legal age of consent, 16 years of age. The age of consent in all parts of Mexico is clearly too low, 13 and 14 year olds should not be allowed to consent to sexual activity. I also consider the age of consent in many US states to be too high. Clearly 17 year olds should be allowed to legally consent to sex.

What's your opinion? What age do you think should be the legal age of consent?

because of the legal implications 18, if a minor gets pregnant and has a child, the parents are still responsible for the minor and it gets really ugly. Unless they lower the age of an "adult" that is. Some states you can't drive at 16 or can't driver at night and other restrictions, since there are many age related restrictions far more benign than sex, the age of consent should be used appropriately. TBH it really doesn't matter because it's extremely rare that anyone is ever prosecuted. I've seen many pregnant 13 and 14 year olds many many times, heard from Docs I use to work with that they delivered babies of 12 year olds. So like many laws they are pretty useless at preventing much of anything, but rather are in place when and if someone or the government chooses to punish someone. By lowering the age it gives permission to do it, not that you'll stop it anyway but you legitimize it making it ok. Having it at 18 and widely known you may give some something to think about, also it's a way out for those feeling pressured. Basically there's no harm setting it at 18 and no benefit for 16 and probably more harmful setting it at 16 or younger.
Chloe8
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2016 10:16:47 PM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/28/2016 8:58:19 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 11/28/2016 8:18:16 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
When in your opinion should a person be allowed to consent to sexual relations?

It's interesting how this varies in Europe;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

And North America;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

In my opinion my country (The UK) is one of the countries to adopt the correct legal age of consent, 16 years of age. The age of consent in all parts of Mexico is clearly too low, 13 and 14 year olds should not be allowed to consent to sexual activity. I also consider the age of consent in many US states to be too high. Clearly 17 year olds should be allowed to legally consent to sex.

What's your opinion? What age do you think should be the legal age of consent?

because of the legal implications 18, if a minor gets pregnant and has a child, the parents are still responsible for the minor and it gets really ugly. Unless they lower the age of an "adult" that is. Some states you can't drive at 16 or can't driver at night and other restrictions, since there are many age related restrictions far more benign than sex, the age of consent should be used appropriately. TBH it really doesn't matter because it's extremely rare that anyone is ever prosecuted. I've seen many pregnant 13 and 14 year olds many many times, heard from Docs I use to work with that they delivered babies of 12 year olds. So like many laws they are pretty useless at preventing much of anything, but rather are in place when and if someone or the government chooses to punish someone. By lowering the age it gives permission to do it, not that you'll stop it anyway but you legitimize it making it ok. Having it at 18 and widely known you may give some something to think about, also it's a way out for those feeling pressured. Basically there's no harm setting it at 18 and no benefit for 16 and probably more harmful setting it at 16 or younger.

I see your point there. One way round is to allow people to consent to sexual relations at 16 but have 18 as the legal age for becoming a parent. I think it's a bit silly for it to be illegal for 17 year olds to have sex, yes it will obviously still happen but why make it illegal when most people can see there is no harm in it? Maybe say 16 and 17 year olds can't have sex with people over 19 or something to guard against exploitation and abuse?

In the UK you can get a driving license at 17 and purchase alcohol at 18.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
kevin24018
Posts: 1,862
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 12:30:14 AM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/28/2016 10:16:47 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
At 11/28/2016 8:58:19 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 11/28/2016 8:18:16 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
When in your opinion should a person be allowed to consent to sexual relations?

It's interesting how this varies in Europe;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

And North America;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

In my opinion my country (The UK) is one of the countries to adopt the correct legal age of consent, 16 years of age. The age of consent in all parts of Mexico is clearly too low, 13 and 14 year olds should not be allowed to consent to sexual activity. I also consider the age of consent in many US states to be too high. Clearly 17 year olds should be allowed to legally consent to sex.

What's your opinion? What age do you think should be the legal age of consent?

because of the legal implications 18, if a minor gets pregnant and has a child, the parents are still responsible for the minor and it gets really ugly. Unless they lower the age of an "adult" that is. Some states you can't drive at 16 or can't driver at night and other restrictions, since there are many age related restrictions far more benign than sex, the age of consent should be used appropriately. TBH it really doesn't matter because it's extremely rare that anyone is ever prosecuted. I've seen many pregnant 13 and 14 year olds many many times, heard from Docs I use to work with that they delivered babies of 12 year olds. So like many laws they are pretty useless at preventing much of anything, but rather are in place when and if someone or the government chooses to punish someone. By lowering the age it gives permission to do it, not that you'll stop it anyway but you legitimize it making it ok. Having it at 18 and widely known you may give some something to think about, also it's a way out for those feeling pressured. Basically there's no harm setting it at 18 and no benefit for 16 and probably more harmful setting it at 16 or younger.

I see your point there. One way round is to allow people to consent to sexual relations at 16 but have 18 as the legal age for becoming a parent. I think it's a bit silly for it to be illegal for 17 year olds to have sex, yes it will obviously still happen but why make it illegal when most people can see there is no harm in it? Maybe say 16 and 17 year olds can't have sex with people over 19 or something to guard against exploitation and abuse?

In the UK you can get a driving license at 17 and purchase alcohol at 18.

it is silly, 18 is the age of majority, were you are legally an "adult" you can enter into contracts etc, the problem is the inconsistency, we have tons of laws that are rarely enforced or even beneficial. Here unwed mothers are a huge financial burden on our society, and it's generational, not uncommon in some areas grandmothers are 32 years old, then there's the incurable stds....
Vox_Veritas
Posts: 7,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 12:31:28 AM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/28/2016 8:18:16 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
When in your opinion should a person be allowed to consent to sexual relations?

It's interesting how this varies in Europe;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

And North America;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

In my opinion my country (The UK) is one of the countries to adopt the correct legal age of consent, 16 years of age. The age of consent in all parts of Mexico is clearly too low, 13 and 14 year olds should not be allowed to consent to sexual activity. I also consider the age of consent in many US states to be too high. Clearly 17 year olds should be allowed to legally consent to sex.

What's your opinion? What age do you think should be the legal age of consent?

Age of Consent should be replaced by psychological evaluations to determine individual maturity level. Some adults are too immature to have responsible sex, whereas some minors are mature enough to not bleep up their lives (or the life of someone else). The evaluations would be funded by the government and reasonably easy for a normal adult to pass, and passing would result in a "Sexual License". Any person age 13 or older would be eligible to apply for a Sexual License, though most 13 year olds would fail such a test. Any two individuals who possess Sexual Licenses would be able to engage in consensual sexual intercourse. A Sexual License could be revoked for sexual crimes or domestic abuse against one's partner.
Call me Vox, the Resident Contrarian of debate.org.

The DDO Blog:
https://debatedotorg.wordpress.com...

#drinkthecoffeenotthekoolaid
kevin24018
Posts: 1,862
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 2:34:33 AM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/29/2016 12:31:28 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 11/28/2016 8:18:16 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
When in your opinion should a person be allowed to consent to sexual relations?

It's interesting how this varies in Europe;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

And North America;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

In my opinion my country (The UK) is one of the countries to adopt the correct legal age of consent, 16 years of age. The age of consent in all parts of Mexico is clearly too low, 13 and 14 year olds should not be allowed to consent to sexual activity. I also consider the age of consent in many US states to be too high. Clearly 17 year olds should be allowed to legally consent to sex.

What's your opinion? What age do you think should be the legal age of consent?

Age of Consent should be replaced by psychological evaluations to determine individual maturity level. Some adults are too immature to have responsible sex, whereas some minors are mature enough to not bleep up their lives (or the life of someone else). The evaluations would be funded by the government and reasonably easy for a normal adult to pass, and passing would result in a "Sexual License". Any person age 13 or older would be eligible to apply for a Sexual License, though most 13 year olds would fail such a test. Any two individuals who possess Sexual Licenses would be able to engage in consensual sexual intercourse. A Sexual License could be revoked for sexual crimes or domestic abuse against one's partner.

lol, in theory that is a great idea, I would add proof of financial ability to support a child without government benefits should an "accident" happen.
Archaholic
Posts: 255
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 4:18:41 AM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/29/2016 12:31:28 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 11/28/2016 8:18:16 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
When in your opinion should a person be allowed to consent to sexual relations?

It's interesting how this varies in Europe;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

And North America;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

In my opinion my country (The UK) is one of the countries to adopt the correct legal age of consent, 16 years of age. The age of consent in all parts of Mexico is clearly too low, 13 and 14 year olds should not be allowed to consent to sexual activity. I also consider the age of consent in many US states to be too high. Clearly 17 year olds should be allowed to legally consent to sex.

What's your opinion? What age do you think should be the legal age of consent?

Age of Consent should be replaced by psychological evaluations to determine individual maturity level. Some adults are too immature to have responsible sex, whereas some minors are mature enough to not bleep up their lives (or the life of someone else). The evaluations would be funded by the government and reasonably easy for a normal adult to pass, and passing would result in a "Sexual License". Any person age 13 or older would be eligible to apply for a Sexual License, though most 13 year olds would fail such a test. Any two individuals who possess Sexual Licenses would be able to engage in consensual sexual intercourse. A Sexual License could be revoked for sexual crimes or domestic abuse against one's partner.

a license that allows you to have sex. Uhmm... so, if I want to have sex with an underage I just need to ask her the sexual license? Interesting.

Unfortunately, dude, I don't think it can happen. I don't see parents letting their kids to apply for a "sexual license". Also, the age of consent is more a legal figure than a permission to have sex. We all know kids start having sex even at the age of 12 years old, I don't see it is a big issue as long as it is done between kids of the same age. However, the age of consent aims to the sexual intercourse between an adult and a teen, say a man of 32 and a teen of 15.

To me, 16 is ok. But it is possible to push it down a little more, say, 15, that would be ideal. 14 is also good, but we are almost in the boundary of puberty and adolescence. So 15 is the right age, I saw some brides at this age.

BR
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 8:36:55 PM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/29/2016 1:44:42 AM, ford_prefect wrote:
18 months

Coincidentally, I am in need of a babysitter, how much for your services?
kevin24018
Posts: 1,862
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 8:44:43 PM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/28/2016 8:18:16 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
When in your opinion should a person be allowed to consent to sexual relations?

It's interesting how this varies in Europe;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

And North America;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

In my opinion my country (The UK) is one of the countries to adopt the correct legal age of consent, 16 years of age. The age of consent in all parts of Mexico is clearly too low, 13 and 14 year olds should not be allowed to consent to sexual activity. I also consider the age of consent in many US states to be too high. Clearly 17 year olds should be allowed to legally consent to sex.

What's your opinion? What age do you think should be the legal age of consent?

I guess you never specified and I never asked what type of sex you are talking about? Is there or should there be different ages for just oral? What about just mutual masturbation?
keithprosser
Posts: 2,014
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 9:46:25 PM
Posted: 1 week ago
I'd agree that 16 seems about right. Courts tend to be quite sensible about this sort of thing and I doubt if a lad of 15 or 16 would be prosecuted for consensual sex with a 14 year old girl, which I am sure happens just as much now as it ever did.

It's not my field, but I think 16 is also a bit older than many predatory paedophiles target which offers a margin of protection from exploitation.

I think any higher than 16 and it would be broken too often to be credible and any lower would start to provide inadquate protection for vulnerable teenagers.

Context also matters. Are we talking about teenagers having it away in a bus shelter or very young girls forcibly getting married off to elderly men? The latter is a problem in some parts of the world where the age of consent is low.
Quadrunner
Posts: 1,119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 10:55:01 PM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/28/2016 8:18:16 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
When in your opinion should a person be allowed to consent to sexual relations?

It's interesting how this varies in Europe;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

And North America;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

In my opinion my country (The UK) is one of the countries to adopt the correct legal age of consent, 16 years of age. The age of consent in all parts of Mexico is clearly too low, 13 and 14 year olds should not be allowed to consent to sexual activity. I also consider the age of consent in many US states to be too high. Clearly 17 year olds should be allowed to legally consent to sex.

What's your opinion? What age do you think should be the legal age of consent?

Well I never thought of it as a matter of being allowed to consent. It doesn't make sense to register a 12 (can't believe this happens) year old as a sex offender because they had sex, or automatically punish them in a rehabilitation program. Its the line that is drawn for legally being able to consent because you can only consent with understanding of what you are consenting to, hence statutory rape. I think in legaleese its really more about who has responsibility for your actions at a certain age though here in America, your parents holding that roll till you turn 18. I don't think the number is as important as the justice within process designated to go underway with charges.

If a 17 year old seduces a 19 year old without knowledge of anyone's age in America and the parents get pissed...What happens?

What is the difference between someone who has sex with a 17.99 year old and an 18 year old?

How long does a violation stay on your record, and how is this determined?

I would imagine this is not an easy job with the usual lack of witnesses if people don't abide by the truth. I personally like the age of 18 because I think it doesn't hurt to minimize college age sex drives interacting with teenage levels of self control.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Quadrunner
Posts: 1,119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2016 11:01:39 PM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/29/2016 2:34:33 AM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 11/29/2016 12:31:28 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 11/28/2016 8:18:16 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
When in your opinion should a person be allowed to consent to sexual relations?

It's interesting how this varies in Europe;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

And North America;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

In my opinion my country (The UK) is one of the countries to adopt the correct legal age of consent, 16 years of age. The age of consent in all parts of Mexico is clearly too low, 13 and 14 year olds should not be allowed to consent to sexual activity. I also consider the age of consent in many US states to be too high. Clearly 17 year olds should be allowed to legally consent to sex.

What's your opinion? What age do you think should be the legal age of consent?

Age of Consent should be replaced by psychological evaluations to determine individual maturity level. Some adults are too immature to have responsible sex, whereas some minors are mature enough to not bleep up their lives (or the life of someone else). The evaluations would be funded by the government and reasonably easy for a normal adult to pass, and passing would result in a "Sexual License". Any person age 13 or older would be eligible to apply for a Sexual License, though most 13 year olds would fail such a test. Any two individuals who possess Sexual Licenses would be able to engage in consensual sexual intercourse. A Sexual License could be revoked for sexual crimes or domestic abuse against one's partner.

lol, in theory that is a great idea, I would add proof of financial ability to support a child without government benefits should an "accident" happen.

Imagine the reduction in unemployment. What we need is a woman president.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
kevin24018
Posts: 1,862
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 1:41:48 AM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/29/2016 11:01:39 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 11/29/2016 2:34:33 AM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 11/29/2016 12:31:28 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 11/28/2016 8:18:16 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
When in your opinion should a person be allowed to consent to sexual relations?

It's interesting how this varies in Europe;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

And North America;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

In my opinion my country (The UK) is one of the countries to adopt the correct legal age of consent, 16 years of age. The age of consent in all parts of Mexico is clearly too low, 13 and 14 year olds should not be allowed to consent to sexual activity. I also consider the age of consent in many US states to be too high. Clearly 17 year olds should be allowed to legally consent to sex.

What's your opinion? What age do you think should be the legal age of consent?

Age of Consent should be replaced by psychological evaluations to determine individual maturity level. Some adults are too immature to have responsible sex, whereas some minors are mature enough to not bleep up their lives (or the life of someone else). The evaluations would be funded by the government and reasonably easy for a normal adult to pass, and passing would result in a "Sexual License". Any person age 13 or older would be eligible to apply for a Sexual License, though most 13 year olds would fail such a test. Any two individuals who possess Sexual Licenses would be able to engage in consensual sexual intercourse. A Sexual License could be revoked for sexual crimes or domestic abuse against one's partner.

lol, in theory that is a great idea, I would add proof of financial ability to support a child without government benefits should an "accident" happen.

Imagine the reduction in unemployment. What we need is a woman president.

but not just any woman ;)
Quadrunner
Posts: 1,119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 1:51:22 AM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/30/2016 1:41:48 AM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 11/29/2016 11:01:39 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 11/29/2016 2:34:33 AM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 11/29/2016 12:31:28 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 11/28/2016 8:18:16 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
When in your opinion should a person be allowed to consent to sexual relations?

It's interesting how this varies in Europe;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

And North America;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

In my opinion my country (The UK) is one of the countries to adopt the correct legal age of consent, 16 years of age. The age of consent in all parts of Mexico is clearly too low, 13 and 14 year olds should not be allowed to consent to sexual activity. I also consider the age of consent in many US states to be too high. Clearly 17 year olds should be allowed to legally consent to sex.

What's your opinion? What age do you think should be the legal age of consent?

Age of Consent should be replaced by psychological evaluations to determine individual maturity level. Some adults are too immature to have responsible sex, whereas some minors are mature enough to not bleep up their lives (or the life of someone else). The evaluations would be funded by the government and reasonably easy for a normal adult to pass, and passing would result in a "Sexual License". Any person age 13 or older would be eligible to apply for a Sexual License, though most 13 year olds would fail such a test. Any two individuals who possess Sexual Licenses would be able to engage in consensual sexual intercourse. A Sexual License could be revoked for sexual crimes or domestic abuse against one's partner.

lol, in theory that is a great idea, I would add proof of financial ability to support a child without government benefits should an "accident" happen.

Imagine the reduction in unemployment. What we need is a woman president.

but not just any woman ;)

http://s2.quickmeme.com...
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
YYW
Posts: 36,289
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 2:23:03 AM
Posted: 1 week ago
Disclaimer: It is morally wrong, in my view, for people over the age of 18 to have sex with people more than two years younger than them, unless the person younger than them is over 18. That is my view. My view, however, is only that: my view. The law generally is consistent with my view, but I think the law in many cases causes many more problems than it solves. This is especially the case in a context such as ours in the united states where we have lifelong sex offender registries, incredibly stupid rape laws, delusional feminists who want to pervert rape laws even more, and a cacophony of similarly stupid social and societal challenges related to these issues. My legal view, however, should not be interpreted to represent my moral view, because it does not represent my moral view.

The age of consent is a really complicated issue, because on the one hand our concern for children's wellbeing has to be balanced against the practical realities of the fact that kids even as young as 12 or 13 do have sex and they shouldn't be punished for it but are regularly subject to that fate because of what can only be described as stupid and draconian laws that criminalize normal adolescent behavior.

My thinking is this: I think Romeo laws are the way to go. I think the age of consent should be 16 across the board, with a three year age differential such that no one sixteen or older would be prosecuted for having sex with someone three years their junior. Additionally, I think that there should be a two year age difference for fifteen year olds, one for fourteen, and zero for thirteen. I also think a four year age differential should apply to all people seventeen years olds and up.

So, basically, high schoolers aren't going to risk prison sentences and sex offender registries for fooling around with each other. That is a practical solution. The additional implication is that someone who is 18 would be able to have sex with someone who is 14 but not 13; someone who is 19 would be able to have sex with someone who is 15, but not 14; someone who is 20 would be able to have sex with someone who is 16, but not 15. After 16, I think the limit's off because the very real reality is that by that time, people are able to fully comprehend and understand what they're doing and what it means and why they're doing it.

I think that the way society stigmatizes sex is equally stupid and that the state and federal laws which conflict with what I said above translate into more harm than good. Obviously, people have sex but that's not something that, once a person has reached an age of "agency" (i.e. NOT majority), but reached a sufficient level of understanding that they are intellectually capable of understanding the meaning of their actions, they should be able to act without risk in that respect.

Now, I don't like the idea of 16 year olds having sex with 30 year olds, and I think it's disgusting. However, what I think is disgusting doesn't matter. What matters is where there is actual harm involved that society has an interest in preventing. Actual predatory behavior, like disgusting old men trying to have sex with 16 year old girls, is something that doesn't need to be combatted, though, with age of consent laws. It's something that needs to be combatted with education that keeps that lot out of situations in which they could fall victim to such circumstances. However, where it was once a very common practice in this country to marry girls off as soon as they reached puberty, Victorian moral norms related to "sexual purity" have no place.

There is precisely no public health reason to have an age of consent law higher than 16. There are a LOT of public health reasons to keep it cut off at 16, namely related to the social realities of what it means to be a high school student. Beyond that, boys are totally unfairly treated by those laws because of the antiquated myth that girls cannot rape boys, and the even more idiotic myth that boys cannot be sexually exploited in a more general sense. We as a culture immediately blame the boy, even if he's younger, and assume the girl's innocent even if she literally drugged him and had sex with him against his will. It's stupid and it's wrong.

The societal stupidity related to same sex sexual conduct is even worse. Consider your typical 14 year old high school student who is gay. If he has a boyfriend of the same age and they have sex, one of both of them could be prosecuted in many states. If the boyfriend is older, then the law defaults in almost every case to blaming the older of the two. This is egregious and wrong, especially where one of them could wind up on a sex offender registry for doing what teenagers do when they hit puberty.

My view, I think, is the most pragmatic one that exists. My view, however, in terms of what the law should be, is NOT the law of the land in the United States although it is in many other parts of the world. Hopefully the US will be less stupid in the future, but I doubt it.
Tsar of DDO
Vaarka
Posts: 7,611
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 1:08:10 PM
Posted: 1 week ago
At 11/28/2016 8:18:16 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
When in your opinion should a person be allowed to consent to sexual relations?

It's interesting how this varies in Europe;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

And North America;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

In my opinion my country (The UK) is one of the countries to adopt the correct legal age of consent, 16 years of age. The age of consent in all parts of Mexico is clearly too low, 13 and 14 year olds should not be allowed to consent to sexual activity. I also consider the age of consent in many US states to be too high. Clearly 17 year olds should be allowed to legally consent to sex.

What's your opinion? What age do you think should be the legal age of consent?

Now, 16 sounds fine I guess, but at the same time, you aren't considered an "adult" in most countries until you're 18. Sure, most teens are probably matured enough by 16 or 17, but if you aren't an "adult" until you're 18, then that would mean that the chances of stuff like pregnancy before being an adult would probably fall into a problem for the parents, since you're technically still a minor under their care. Once you're an adult, however, all that responsibility can fall on you, and while your parents can choose to step in, it's ultimately your decision and your responsibility.

So I'm fine with 18, especially since I don't really care enough anyway.
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Chloe8
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 10:29:09 PM
Posted: 6 days ago
At 11/29/2016 12:30:14 AM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 11/28/2016 10:16:47 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
At 11/28/2016 8:58:19 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 11/28/2016 8:18:16 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
When in your opinion should a person be allowed to consent to sexual relations?

It's interesting how this varies in Europe;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

And North America;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

In my opinion my country (The UK) is one of the countries to adopt the correct legal age of consent, 16 years of age. The age of consent in all parts of Mexico is clearly too low, 13 and 14 year olds should not be allowed to consent to sexual activity. I also consider the age of consent in many US states to be too high. Clearly 17 year olds should be allowed to legally consent to sex.

What's your opinion? What age do you think should be the legal age of consent?

because of the legal implications 18, if a minor gets pregnant and has a child, the parents are still responsible for the minor and it gets really ugly. Unless they lower the age of an "adult" that is. Some states you can't drive at 16 or can't driver at night and other restrictions, since there are many age related restrictions far more benign than sex, the age of consent should be used appropriately. TBH it really doesn't matter because it's extremely rare that anyone is ever prosecuted. I've seen many pregnant 13 and 14 year olds many many times, heard from Docs I use to work with that they delivered babies of 12 year olds. So like many laws they are pretty useless at preventing much of anything, but rather are in place when and if someone or the government chooses to punish someone. By lowering the age it gives permission to do it, not that you'll stop it anyway but you legitimize it making it ok. Having it at 18 and widely known you may give some something to think about, also it's a way out for those feeling pressured. Basically there's no harm setting it at 18 and no benefit for 16 and probably more harmful setting it at 16 or younger.

I see your point there. One way round is to allow people to consent to sexual relations at 16 but have 18 as the legal age for becoming a parent. I think it's a bit silly for it to be illegal for 17 year olds to have sex, yes it will obviously still happen but why make it illegal when most people can see there is no harm in it? Maybe say 16 and 17 year olds can't have sex with people over 19 or something to guard against exploitation and abuse?

In the UK you can get a driving license at 17 and purchase alcohol at 18.

it is silly, 18 is the age of majority, were you are legally an "adult" you can enter into contracts etc, the problem is the inconsistency, we have tons of laws that are rarely enforced or even beneficial. Here unwed mothers are a huge financial burden on our society, and it's generational, not uncommon in some areas grandmothers are 32 years old, then there's the incurable stds....

In my opinion it's better to discuss these sorts of issues and ensure people engage in safe sexual relations as opposed to stigmatizing sex for 16 and 17 year olds leading to people feeling they have to stay silent and hide the "crime" they are committing which may lead to problems like STI's and young women having children without the financial means to support them or a suitable family environment in place to optimize the quality of upbringing they can offer their children.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
Chloe8
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 10:43:05 PM
Posted: 6 days ago
At 11/29/2016 12:31:28 AM, Vox_Veritas wrote:
At 11/28/2016 8:18:16 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
When in your opinion should a person be allowed to consent to sexual relations?

It's interesting how this varies in Europe;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

And North America;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

In my opinion my country (The UK) is one of the countries to adopt the correct legal age of consent, 16 years of age. The age of consent in all parts of Mexico is clearly too low, 13 and 14 year olds should not be allowed to consent to sexual activity. I also consider the age of consent in many US states to be too high. Clearly 17 year olds should be allowed to legally consent to sex.

What's your opinion? What age do you think should be the legal age of consent?

Age of Consent should be replaced by psychological evaluations to determine individual maturity level. Some adults are too immature to have responsible sex, whereas some minors are mature enough to not bleep up their lives (or the life of someone else). The evaluations would be funded by the government and reasonably easy for a normal adult to pass, and passing would result in a "Sexual License". Any person age 13 or older would be eligible to apply for a Sexual License, though most 13 year olds would fail such a test. Any two individuals who possess Sexual Licenses would be able to engage in consensual sexual intercourse. A Sexual License could be revoked for sexual crimes or domestic abuse against one's partner.

Don't you think that when 13 year olds see that their friends are legally engaging in sexual activity they will be more inclined to follow their example even if they are one of the majority of 13 year olds not yet eligible for a sexual license?

Would it not be a bit of a stigma if you were a 17 year old not yet mature enough to hold a sexual license?

I can imagine it would be something that would cause a lot of people a lot of unnecessary grief and not achieve a great deal other than encouraging 13 and 14 year olds to have sexual relations while discouraging people who may find getting into relationships tricky from even attempting to do so because they can't pass a test. In my opinion it's an unnecessary social stigma imposed on the people in society who already struggle to fit in.

In my opinion these tests would be a waste of taxpayers money. I don't really think it's a good use of government revenue to test the readiness of children for sexual relations. I don't even have confidence such a test would accurately reflect someone's readiness for sexual relations.

It's also worth considering how awkward many people would find applying for a sexual license and undergoing the evaluation. People would likely often just ignore the rules and not bother obtaining the license. It's also likely people who fail the test would ignore the result.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
Chloe8
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 10:45:19 PM
Posted: 6 days ago
At 11/29/2016 8:35:25 PM, Wylted wrote:
13 seems about right.

Is that a genuine opinion or just a troll post? If you are being sincere please elaborate on why you think 13 should be the legal age of consent.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
Chloe8
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 10:47:00 PM
Posted: 6 days ago
At 11/29/2016 8:44:43 PM, kevin24018 wrote:
At 11/28/2016 8:18:16 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
When in your opinion should a person be allowed to consent to sexual relations?

It's interesting how this varies in Europe;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

And North America;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

In my opinion my country (The UK) is one of the countries to adopt the correct legal age of consent, 16 years of age. The age of consent in all parts of Mexico is clearly too low, 13 and 14 year olds should not be allowed to consent to sexual activity. I also consider the age of consent in many US states to be too high. Clearly 17 year olds should be allowed to legally consent to sex.

What's your opinion? What age do you think should be the legal age of consent?

I guess you never specified and I never asked what type of sex you are talking about? Is there or should there be different ages for just oral? What about just mutual masturbation?

In my opinion the age of consent for all types of sexual relations should be 16.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
Chloe8
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 11:01:37 PM
Posted: 6 days ago
At 11/29/2016 10:55:01 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 11/28/2016 8:18:16 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
When in your opinion should a person be allowed to consent to sexual relations?

It's interesting how this varies in Europe;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

And North America;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

In my opinion my country (The UK) is one of the countries to adopt the correct legal age of consent, 16 years of age. The age of consent in all parts of Mexico is clearly too low, 13 and 14 year olds should not be allowed to consent to sexual activity. I also consider the age of consent in many US states to be too high. Clearly 17 year olds should be allowed to legally consent to sex.

What's your opinion? What age do you think should be the legal age of consent?

Well I never thought of it as a matter of being allowed to consent. It doesn't make sense to register a 12 (can't believe this happens) year old as a sex offender because they had sex, or automatically punish them in a rehabilitation program. Its the line that is drawn for legally being able to consent because you can only consent with understanding of what you are consenting to, hence statutory rape. I think in legaleese its really more about who has responsibility for your actions at a certain age though here in America, your parents holding that roll till you turn 18. I don't think the number is as important as the justice within process designated to go underway with charges.

I agree it's not a good idea to punish 12 year olds merely for having sex. It's important to consider though that the nature of the sexual intercourse may not have been consensual or may have happened with a person who was in even less of a position to consent to what was happening.

If a 17 year old seduces a 19 year old without knowledge of anyone's age in America and the parents get pissed...What happens?

This in my opinion is why 18 is too high an age. There should not be a problem in this case as long as both people consented to what happened.

What is the difference between someone who has sex with a 17.99 year old and an 18 year old?

In my opinion absolutely nothing but obviously in some parts of the world it's a difference of legal sexual relations and illegal sexual relations.

How long does a violation stay on your record, and how is this determined?

It obviously depends on the circumstances, whether it is a relationship between two people narrowly either side of the age of consent or a relationship between someone under the age of consent and someone 30 years older.

I would imagine this is not an easy job with the usual lack of witnesses if people don't abide by the truth. I personally like the age of 18 because I think it doesn't hurt to minimize college age sex drives interacting with teenage levels of self control.

In my opinion it's better to educate people about this topic and encourage safe healthy sexual relationships between 16 and 17 year olds than stigmatizing and criminalizing sex and potentially leading to ignorant people engaging in rash or reckless behaviour that may lead to problems such as unintended pregnancies and STI's.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
Chloe8
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 11:28:48 PM
Posted: 6 days ago
At 11/30/2016 2:23:03 AM, YYW wrote:
Disclaimer: It is morally wrong, in my view, for people over the age of 18 to have sex with people more than two years younger than them, unless the person younger than them is over 18. That is my view. My view, however, is only that: my view. The law generally is consistent with my view, but I think the law in many cases causes many more problems than it solves. This is especially the case in a context such as ours in the united states where we have lifelong sex offender registries, incredibly stupid rape laws, delusional feminists who want to pervert rape laws even more, and a cacophony of similarly stupid social and societal challenges related to these issues. My legal view, however, should not be interpreted to represent my moral view, because it does not represent my moral view.

Fair enough.

The age of consent is a really complicated issue, because on the one hand our concern for children's wellbeing has to be balanced against the practical realities of the fact that kids even as young as 12 or 13 do have sex and they shouldn't be punished for it but are regularly subject to that fate because of what can only be described as stupid and draconian laws that criminalize normal adolescent behavior.

Providing the sex was consensual and with someone of a similar age, maturity and capacity to consent then I would agree it's wrong to punish children for having sex.

My thinking is this: I think Romeo laws are the way to go. I think the age of consent should be 16 across the board, with a three year age differential such that no one sixteen or older would be prosecuted for having sex with someone three years their junior. Additionally, I think that there should be a two year age difference for fifteen year olds, one for fourteen, and zero for thirteen. I also think a four year age differential should apply to all people seventeen years olds and up.

I agree. Clear snd practical guidelines like this would make it clear where the legal system stood when it came to dealing with people under the legal age of consent having sex.

So, basically, high schoolers aren't going to risk prison sentences and sex offender registries for fooling around with each other. That is a practical solution. The additional implication is that someone who is 18 would be able to have sex with someone who is 14

In my opinion an 18 year old should be prosecuted for having sex with a 14 year old. That's too big a gap in my opinion and such a relationship/ hookup should certainly be illegal.

but not 13; someone who is 19 would be able to have sex with someone who is 15,

I would not allow that either but probably wouldn't want to prosecute unless the 15 year old in question was immature and/or vulnerable.

but not 14; someone who is 20 would be able to have sex with someone who is 16, but not 15. After 16, I think the limit's off because the very real reality is that by that time, people are able to fully comprehend and understand what they're doing and what it means and why they're doing it.

Agree, I think if a 16 year old wants to have sexual relations with another person that should be there choice to make.

I think that the way society stigmatizes sex is equally stupid and that the state and federal laws which conflict with what I said above translate into more harm than good. Obviously, people have sex but that's not something that, once a person has reached an age of "agency" (i.e. NOT majority), but reached a sufficient level of understanding that they are intellectually capable of understanding the meaning of their actions, they should be able to act without risk in that respect.

I agree society stigmatizes sex, particularly the religious right.

Now, I don't like the idea of 16 year olds having sex with 30 year olds, and I think it's disgusting. However, what I think is disgusting doesn't matter. What matters is where there is actual harm involved that society has an interest in preventing.

Agree. We should not let our own views on what we find disgusting to be a reason to restrict the rights of consenting adults to engage in sexual activity with other consenting adults. It's important for society to recognize everyone is different and treat their sexual and romantic preferences with courtesy and respect. What goes on in someone else's bedroom is none of our business as long as we know both individuals are old enough and mature enough to consent to sexual relations.

Actual predatory behavior, like disgusting old men trying to have sex with 16 year old girls, is something that doesn't need to be combatted, though, with age of consent laws. It's something that needs to be combatted with education that keeps that lot out of situations in which they could fall victim to such circumstances. However, where it was once a very common practice in this country to marry girls off as soon as they reached puberty, Victorian moral norms related to "sexual purity" have no place.

Yes it's important to educate potential victims of predatory sexual behaviour and stop it happening before vulnerable people suffer abuse.

There is precisely no public health reason to have an age of consent law higher than 16. There are a LOT of public health reasons to keep it cut off at 16, namely related to the social realities of what it means to be a high school student. Beyond that, boys are totally unfairly treated by those laws because of the antiquated myth that girls cannot rape boys, and the even more idiotic myth that boys cannot be sexually exploited in a more general sense. We as a culture immediately blame the boy, even if he's younger, and assume the girl's innocent even if she literally drugged him and had sex with him against his will. It's stupid and it's wrong.

Yes I agree it's unfair boys are automatically blamed merely because it's statistically more likely they are at fault and it's wrong to claim women can't rape men because although rare it can happen.

The societal stupidity related to same sex sexual conduct is even worse. Consider your typical 14 year old high school student who is gay. If he has a boyfriend of the same age and they have sex, one of both of them could be prosecuted in many states. If the boyfriend is older, then the law defaults in almost every case to blaming the older of the two. This is egregious and wrong, especially where one of them could wind up on a sex offender registry for doing what teenagers do when they hit puberty.

It depends on the age difference and the relative maturity of both individuals. In some situations a prosecution might be neccessary but in the vast majority of cases the relationship is a consensual one between two individuals of similar age, maturity and capacity to consent and no prosecution would be neccessary.

My view, I think, is the most pragmatic one that exists. My view, however, in terms of what the law should be, is NOT the law of the land in the United States although it is in many other parts of the world. Hopefully the US will be less stupid in the future, but I doubt it.

If Trump dies in the next couple of years and Pence becomes president America may even get more stupid but hopefully that won't happen.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
Chloe8
Posts: 2,614
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 11:30:43 PM
Posted: 6 days ago
At 11/30/2016 1:08:10 PM, Vaarka wrote:
At 11/28/2016 8:18:16 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
When in your opinion should a person be allowed to consent to sexual relations?

It's interesting how this varies in Europe;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

And North America;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

In my opinion my country (The UK) is one of the countries to adopt the correct legal age of consent, 16 years of age. The age of consent in all parts of Mexico is clearly too low, 13 and 14 year olds should not be allowed to consent to sexual activity. I also consider the age of consent in many US states to be too high. Clearly 17 year olds should be allowed to legally consent to sex.

What's your opinion? What age do you think should be the legal age of consent?

Now, 16 sounds fine I guess, but at the same time, you aren't considered an "adult" in most countries until you're 18. Sure, most teens are probably matured enough by 16 or 17, but if you aren't an "adult" until you're 18, then that would mean that the chances of stuff like pregnancy before being an adult would probably fall into a problem for the parents, since you're technically still a minor under their care. Once you're an adult, however, all that responsibility can fall on you, and while your parents can choose to step in, it's ultimately your decision and your responsibility.

So I'm fine with 18, especially since I don't really care enough anyway.

An easy solution to that potential problem is to make the age of consent for sex 16 while keeping the age someone can become a parent 18.
"I don't need experience.to knock you out. I'm a man. that's all I need to beat you and any woman."

Fatihah, in his delusion that he could knock out any woman while bragging about being able to knock me out. An example of 7th century Islamic thinking inspired by his hero the paedophile Muhammad.
kevin24018
Posts: 1,862
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 11:35:03 PM
Posted: 6 days ago
At 11/30/2016 11:01:37 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
At 11/29/2016 10:55:01 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 11/28/2016 8:18:16 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
When in your opinion should a person be allowed to consent to sexual relations?

It's interesting how this varies in Europe;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

And North America;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

In my opinion my country (The UK) is one of the countries to adopt the correct legal age of consent, 16 years of age. The age of consent in all parts of Mexico is clearly too low, 13 and 14 year olds should not be allowed to consent to sexual activity. I also consider the age of consent in many US states to be too high. Clearly 17 year olds should be allowed to legally consent to sex.

What's your opinion? What age do you think should be the legal age of consent?

Well I never thought of it as a matter of being allowed to consent. It doesn't make sense to register a 12 (can't believe this happens) year old as a sex offender because they had sex, or automatically punish them in a rehabilitation program. Its the line that is drawn for legally being able to consent because you can only consent with understanding of what you are consenting to, hence statutory rape. I think in legaleese its really more about who has responsibility for your actions at a certain age though here in America, your parents holding that roll till you turn 18. I don't think the number is as important as the justice within process designated to go underway with charges.

I agree it's not a good idea to punish 12 year olds merely for having sex. It's important to consider though that the nature of the sexual intercourse may not have been consensual or may have happened with a person who was in even less of a position to consent to what was happening.

If a 17 year old seduces a 19 year old without knowledge of anyone's age in America and the parents get pissed...What happens?

This in my opinion is why 18 is too high an age. There should not be a problem in this case as long as both people consented to what happened.

What is the difference between someone who has sex with a 17.99 year old and an 18 year old?

In my opinion absolutely nothing but obviously in some parts of the world it's a difference of legal sexual relations and illegal sexual relations.

How long does a violation stay on your record, and how is this determined?

It obviously depends on the circumstances, whether it is a relationship between two people narrowly either side of the age of consent or a relationship between someone under the age of consent and someone 30 years older.

I would imagine this is not an easy job with the usual lack of witnesses if people don't abide by the truth. I personally like the age of 18 because I think it doesn't hurt to minimize college age sex drives interacting with teenage levels of self control.

In my opinion it's better to educate people about this topic and encourage safe healthy sexual relationships between 16 and 17 year olds than stigmatizing and criminalizing sex and potentially leading to ignorant people engaging in rash or reckless behaviour that may lead to problems such as unintended pregnancies and STI's.

there are far more problems then I think you are taking into account, like unintended pregnancy. Shouldn't a romantic or some sort of commitment exist first before a sexual one, because on it's face this could look like promoting indiscriminate sex. Are 16 year old mature enough to be in relationships? Well that depends, some commit suicide over broken ones, some will harm others even kill over relationships, some will get pregnant just to trap the other. Would they make better choices at 18? perhaps, but at least they should probably be out of high school by then and treated as adults. Kids that age don't think of the future and how the choices they make can affect their future. See there are so many things you can't undo and as an adult you may make better or different choices. I'm sure everyone would agree some of our choices, had we known then what we know now.......
Quadrunner
Posts: 1,119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2016 11:49:33 PM
Posted: 6 days ago
At 11/30/2016 11:01:37 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
At 11/29/2016 10:55:01 PM, Quadrunner wrote:
At 11/28/2016 8:18:16 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
When in your opinion should a person be allowed to consent to sexual relations?

It's interesting how this varies in Europe;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

And North America;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

In my opinion my country (The UK) is one of the countries to adopt the correct legal age of consent, 16 years of age. The age of consent in all parts of Mexico is clearly too low, 13 and 14 year olds should not be allowed to consent to sexual activity. I also consider the age of consent in many US states to be too high. Clearly 17 year olds should be allowed to legally consent to sex.

What's your opinion? What age do you think should be the legal age of consent?

Well I never thought of it as a matter of being allowed to consent. It doesn't make sense to register a 12 (can't believe this happens) year old as a sex offender because they had sex, or automatically punish them in a rehabilitation program. Its the line that is drawn for legally being able to consent because you can only consent with understanding of what you are consenting to, hence statutory rape. I think in legaleese its really more about who has responsibility for your actions at a certain age though here in America, your parents holding that roll till you turn 18. I don't think the number is as important as the justice within process designated to go underway with charges.

I agree it's not a good idea to punish 12 year olds merely for having sex. It's important to consider though that the nature of the sexual intercourse may not have been consensual or may have happened with a person who was in even less of a position to consent to what was happening.

If a 17 year old seduces a 19 year old without knowledge of anyone's age in America and the parents get pissed...What happens?

This in my opinion is why 18 is too high an age. There should not be a problem in this case as long as both people consented to what happened.

What is the difference between someone who has sex with a 17.99 year old and an 18 year old?

In my opinion absolutely nothing but obviously in some parts of the world it's a difference of legal sexual relations and illegal sexual relations.

How long does a violation stay on your record, and how is this determined?

It obviously depends on the circumstances, whether it is a relationship between two people narrowly either side of the age of consent or a relationship between someone under the age of consent and someone 30 years older.

I would imagine this is not an easy job with the usual lack of witnesses if people don't abide by the truth. I personally like the age of 18 because I think it doesn't hurt to minimize college age sex drives interacting with teenage levels of self control.

In my opinion it's better to educate people about this topic and encourage safe healthy sexual relationships between 16 and 17 year olds than stigmatizing and criminalizing sex and potentially leading to ignorant people engaging in rash or reckless behaviour that may lead to problems such as unintended pregnancies and STI's.

There is a large shift we could make in our justice and law enforcement system that is overly harsh, and unforgiving on many minor aspects of life the government has intervened in. I agree that stigmatizing sex as it seems to be for many people coming of age is probably doing more harm then good. Sex ed is as I've learned still taught as abstinence abstinence abstinence or your life will end in a lot of places. I feel the need to teach the effects of sex on a family should a teen become pregnant, but a more encompassing approach to the realities of high school may go a long ways in many parts of this country.

The 18 year old line is admittedly ridiculous. 17 years is old enough to consent, maybe not old enough to make good decisions, but they know what they are doing at that age. The thing is though, when they have sex, they are still dependents on their parents, and in all likelihood the parents will pay for the consequences. There is a moral dilemma in that regard going lower. You could say the parents are responsible for bringing their kids up though, and deserve no bias by the state. It seems that if we require parental permission for medical complications, and we think babies are medical conditions....Perhaps other adults ougt not cause medical complications with people still growing up or hold the person growing up and thus their unsuspecting parents accountable.

Here is an example of a complication with the age of consent in this regard

"One major modern development in consent law has been the attempt to remove an implicit gender bias in which courts imagine that boys are always active aggressors while girls are passive victims. Male (statutory) rape has become more accepted as a real problem because of high-profile cases like Mary Kay Letourneau's, but the law lags behind: In some states (such as California), a teenage boy who impregnates an adult woman while being statutorily raped is required to pay child support."

What if it was the other way around, and the parents are now being asked to sign consent for abortion for their daughter, or being forced to aid her child? Should age of consent take this into consideration?
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Vaarka
Posts: 7,611
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 12:46:38 AM
Posted: 6 days ago
At 11/30/2016 11:30:43 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
At 11/30/2016 1:08:10 PM, Vaarka wrote:
At 11/28/2016 8:18:16 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
When in your opinion should a person be allowed to consent to sexual relations?

It's interesting how this varies in Europe;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

And North America;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

In my opinion my country (The UK) is one of the countries to adopt the correct legal age of consent, 16 years of age. The age of consent in all parts of Mexico is clearly too low, 13 and 14 year olds should not be allowed to consent to sexual activity. I also consider the age of consent in many US states to be too high. Clearly 17 year olds should be allowed to legally consent to sex.

What's your opinion? What age do you think should be the legal age of consent?

Now, 16 sounds fine I guess, but at the same time, you aren't considered an "adult" in most countries until you're 18. Sure, most teens are probably matured enough by 16 or 17, but if you aren't an "adult" until you're 18, then that would mean that the chances of stuff like pregnancy before being an adult would probably fall into a problem for the parents, since you're technically still a minor under their care. Once you're an adult, however, all that responsibility can fall on you, and while your parents can choose to step in, it's ultimately your decision and your responsibility.

So I'm fine with 18, especially since I don't really care enough anyway.

An easy solution to that potential problem is to make the age of consent for sex 16 while keeping the age someone can become a parent 18.

So does that mean that if someone who is 16 becomes pregnant, she can't keep the baby?
You're probably thinking right now "haha I'm a genius". Well you're not -Valkrin

inferno: "I don't know, are you attracted to women?"
ButterCatX: "No, Vaarka is mine!"

All hail scum Vaarka, wielder of the bastard sword, smiter of nations, destroyer of spiders -VOT

"Vaarka, I've been thinking about this for a long time now," (pulls out small box made of macaroni) "W-will you be my noodle buddy?" -Kirigaya
Quadrunner
Posts: 1,119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 3:32:45 AM
Posted: 6 days ago
At 12/1/2016 12:46:38 AM, Vaarka wrote:
At 11/30/2016 11:30:43 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
At 11/30/2016 1:08:10 PM, Vaarka wrote:
At 11/28/2016 8:18:16 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
When in your opinion should a person be allowed to consent to sexual relations?

It's interesting how this varies in Europe;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

And North America;

https://en.m.wikipedia.org...

In my opinion my country (The UK) is one of the countries to adopt the correct legal age of consent, 16 years of age. The age of consent in all parts of Mexico is clearly too low, 13 and 14 year olds should not be allowed to consent to sexual activity. I also consider the age of consent in many US states to be too high. Clearly 17 year olds should be allowed to legally consent to sex.

What's your opinion? What age do you think should be the legal age of consent?

Now, 16 sounds fine I guess, but at the same time, you aren't considered an "adult" in most countries until you're 18. Sure, most teens are probably matured enough by 16 or 17, but if you aren't an "adult" until you're 18, then that would mean that the chances of stuff like pregnancy before being an adult would probably fall into a problem for the parents, since you're technically still a minor under their care. Once you're an adult, however, all that responsibility can fall on you, and while your parents can choose to step in, it's ultimately your decision and your responsibility.

So I'm fine with 18, especially since I don't really care enough anyway.

An easy solution to that potential problem is to make the age of consent for sex 16 while keeping the age someone can become a parent 18.

So does that mean that if someone who is 16 becomes pregnant, she can't keep the baby?

That'd be awful injustice. She's gotta hold it dummy.
Wisdom is found where the wise seek it.
Wylted
Posts: 21,167
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/1/2016 3:18:32 PM
Posted: 6 days ago
At 11/30/2016 10:45:19 PM, Chloe8 wrote:
At 11/29/2016 8:35:25 PM, Wylted wrote:
13 seems about right.

Is that a genuine opinion or just a troll post? If you are being sincere please elaborate on why you think 13 should be the legal age of consent.

Girls seem to be awxual creatures at t ha t why would it be older?.