askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 12:53:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
http://online.wsj.com...

Time to discuss this.

Asians let me know if what she is saying is even kind of legit.
Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Me -haha you apparently don't know my history
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Me - i was being completely sarcastic
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 12:57:54 PM
Some mother got pissed and wrote this:

Me -Phil left the site in my charge. I have a recorded phone conversation to prove it.
kohai -If you're the owner, then do something useful like ip block him and get us away from juggle and on a dofferent host!
Kohai - Maybe not, but that doesn't matter! You shoukd still listen to your community and quit being a tyrrant!
Kohai - then u misrepresented yourself by impersonating the owner—a violation of the tos
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 1:27:56 PM
I so identify with this. I was a straight A student. If I got 96% I didn't get a "congratulations", I got "What happened to the other 4 per cent?"

If I got 80% and argued that it was still the highest mark in the class, my mom would say "In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man in king."

I went through a rebellious stage in the 10th grade and got my first ever bad mark--a D+. My parents swore at me for the first time and threatened to put me up for adoption. And now they treat me like a retarded person, where if I get a B now it's like "Wow, good for you!" with their eyes glazed over.

I can't say I enjoyed that parenting style... lol
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 1:36:25 PM
I can see it, my aunt adopted a boy from china when he was 4ish. The little guy was always trying to help you do something or put something away and never screaming or trying to get attention, It was a weird thing to see a kid that young do.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 3:49:31 PM
Wtf, is my family Chinese in disguise because this is what they enforced... LOL.

Well, these were the rules for my cousins. At age 13, I had my own apartment. :P
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 3:51:18 PM
At 1/22/2011 12:53:53 PM, askbob wrote:

Time to discuss this.

Asians let me know if what she is saying is even kind of legit.

You've been following me on ODN, haven't you, lol.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
mongeese
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 4:31:48 PM
At 1/22/2011 12:57:54 PM, askbob wrote:
Some mother got pissed and wrote this:

I was actually fairly convinced that that article was written as a joke, given how lazy the mother appears to be, refusing to put lots of time into her children's goals and dreams. Honestly, what kind of "requirements" were those? Was she trying to cast herself in a negative light?
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 6:42:05 PM
At 1/22/2011 1:13:08 PM, innomen wrote:
This is why in 50 years we will be their slaves
They already have slaves, clearly.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
annhasle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 6:46:53 PM
At 1/22/2011 6:42:05 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 1/22/2011 1:13:08 PM, innomen wrote:
This is why in 50 years we will be their slaves
They already have slaves, clearly.

+1 LOL points for Ragnar. xD
I'm not back. This idiot just upset me which made me stop lurking.
Korashk
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 7:02:52 PM
From experience I know this is effective, but anecdotally it makes your children hate you later on in life.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
SuperRobotWars
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2011 7:53:01 PM
The U.S.A., China, Canada, South/Central America, Tonga, Australia, Japan, Africa, and certain Middle Eastern Lands shall become one country . . .
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 7:43:24 AM
I don't really identify with this too much. I'm a good student, smart, but have never had the over-bearing parenting towards me. I've never once been forced to study, yet I've never failed an exam. I think this is in part thanks to my ability to absorb information and retain it as well as being at least mildly interested in most academic things.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
uppitynumber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 11:09:10 AM
whoa whoa whoa there, fella. That's some egregious stereotyping :P
I'm 16yo korean-chinese-american (half american, half chinese, and half korean), and my mom is nothing like that.
Although admittedly I will concede that Asian mothers do in general expect their child to get all A's and to learn how to play the piano (and they don't constrict them to pianos and violins only either), they don't suffocate them to death for it.
And no, they don't verbally abuse their children either, wth did that come from?
As regards playdate and sleepover, the notions aren't simply ingrained in the Asian culture--you wouldn't say that American parents make their children not succeed in life, would you? jk ;)
Just because one manic-driven obssessive parent does it, does not mean that everyone does. I know plent of other chinese moms who are as lenient as western moms, if not more..

Now, you want a talk about overdriven, you should take a look at the korean kids.
http://www.asiaone.com...
Cram school is an inextricable part of the daily life of korean students. They go to school in the morning, then right after the bell rings, they go straight to cram school, and then come back home at around midnight.
rarugged
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 1:26:15 PM
Albeit the mother was being rather extreme to garner attention, her words do hold a grain of truth.

Children will thank their parents one day, mark my words. Doesn't matter when; it'll happen.
If Jesus came back tomorrow, a cross would be the last thing he would want to see.
MikeLoviN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 6:34:35 PM
At 1/23/2011 1:26:15 PM, rarugged wrote:
Albeit the mother was being rather extreme to garner attention, her words do hold a grain of truth.

Children will thank their parents one day, mark my words. Doesn't matter when; it'll happen.

This.

My parents were strict as all hell (although not nearly to the degree described in the article - which sounds pretty exaggerated to me). I hated it then, but looking around at all of the people I grew up beside, there's no doubt in my mind that I turned out better than 95% of them.

It was as if they were having a competition with all of their equally foreign friends called "who can raise the most successful children". To your face, there was always something you did wrong or could have done better, then behind your back they'd be telling all their friends about how well their kids were doing in school.

When I was a kid, I got grounded for anything and everything. For more serious things like swearing or hitting my sister, I got a belt to the a-ss. I wasn't allowed out of the house past 9pm until I was in highschool, when the curfew was moved to 10. When my sister was 8, my mom told her to her face that she was fat and then signed her up for gymnastics. Grades were no exception either. Anything less than an A- resulted in extra work and/or getting grounded. Although, when we eventually got used to succeeding in school, they switched over to a monetary reward system ($50 at the end of the term for an overall average above 85% and $100 for an average above 90%)... just some examples.

As things stand, my parents are set to have pumped out 2 engineers and a doctor (barring some catastrophic failure on my or my sister's part). It may sound cliché, but I have absolutely no regrets about having 'missed out' on certain frivolous things when I was younger because I know that a lot of the kids I envied for their relative freedom are now either pumping my gas or building my house.
askbob
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2011 7:07:28 PM
At 1/23/2011 11:09:10 AM, uppitynumber wrote:
I'm 16yo korean-chinese-american (half american, half chinese, and half korean), and my mom is nothing like that.
Although admittedly I will concede that Asian mothers do in general expect their child to get all A's and to learn how to play the piano (and they don't constrict them to pianos and violins only either), they don't suffocate them to death for it.
And no, they don't verbally abuse their children either, wth did that come from?
As regards playdate and sleepover, the notions aren't simply ingrained in the Asian culture--you wouldn't say that American parents make their children not succeed in life, would you? jk ;)
Just because one manic-driven obssessive parent does it, does not mean that everyone does. I know plent of other chinese moms who are as lenient as western moms, if not more..

Now, you want a talk about overdriven, you should take a look at the korean kids.
http://www.asiaone.com...
Cram school is an inextricable part of the daily life of korean students. They go to school in the morning, then right after the bell rings, they go straight to cram school, and then come back home at around midnight.

Lol dude I wasn't the person who wrote the article. A chinese-american mother who is a professor from harvard wrote it about herself.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 3:55:11 PM
http://www.washingtontimes.com...
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 3:59:52 PM
This is why Chinese mothers are superior.

http://blog.russellherder.com...
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 4:06:42 PM
The anti-social rules are just plain stupid. No TV or video games and such sounds like brilliant.
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 4:12:12 PM

How are you half American, half Chinese and half Korean?
President of DDO
Sangers
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2011 4:13:24 PM
At 1/26/2011 4:12:12 PM, theLwerd wrote:

How are you half American, half Chinese and half Korean?

lol :D