Jump to topic:

Would this society work?

Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 10:20:34 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I think this was attributed to G B Shaw. He said that the police should only be paid when all cases are closed, or when they ensure that there is no crime. As soon as a crime is committed, pay is docked until it is resolved. Similarly doctors should be paid only when there are no diseases. You get the drift. You can put in any occupation....

How would corruption be possible in such a society? Would such a society even work?
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 11:11:11 AM
At 2/11/2011 10:20:34 AM, Indophile wrote:
I think this was attributed to G B Shaw. He said that the police should only be paid when all cases are closed, or when they ensure that there is no crime. As soon as a crime is committed, pay is docked until it is resolved. Similarly doctors should be paid only when there are no diseases. You get the drift. You can put in any occupation....

How would corruption be possible in such a society? Would such a society even work?

No one would get paid.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
tigg13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 11:47:32 AM

Wouldn't the police want to arrest and book the first suspect who came along whether they were guilty or not? It seems to me that either there would be a lot of injustice in a system like that or you would have a lot of police officers working for free.

Now what might work would be a pro-active stance towards problems within the community. If the police were paid to prevent crime from happening (or doctors paid to keep people from getting sick) we would see the benefits of a safer community with well paid public servants.
Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 12:27:34 PM
At 2/11/2011 11:47:32 AM, tigg13 wrote:

Wouldn't the police want to arrest and book the first suspect who came along whether they were guilty or not? It seems to me that either there would be a lot of injustice in a system like that or you would have a lot of police officers working for free.

Exactly. Not only would they arrest any ond everyone who even has a chance to commit a crime, but they would arrest the people paying them and take their money. That has been the way of things for eternity.

Now what might work would be a pro-active stance towards problems within the community. If the police were paid to prevent crime from happening (or doctors paid to keep people from getting sick) we would see the benefits of a safer community with well paid public servants.

This would lead to even worse tyrrany than the first scenario. The diseases of xenophobia and conservatism would spiral out of control.
no comment
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 12:31:44 PM

That would be awful. The police would be death squads and there would only be unregulated backstreet doctors.
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 1:07:09 PM

How would corruption be possible in such a society? Would such a society even work?:

What a horrible idea that promotes corruption and the creation of crime. It doesn't take a genius to figure out why this would be.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 1:08:22 PM
Well, looks like everyone else agrees that the OP's suggestion has to be one of the most asinine plans I've ever heard.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 1:13:48 PM
At 2/11/2011 1:08:22 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
Well, looks like everyone else agrees that the OP's suggestion has to be one of the most asinine plans I've ever heard.

Ha ha.

Even I thought so. That's why I was wondering why G B Shaw would say such a thing :)
And it will be true.
Cerebral_Narcissist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2011 1:41:25 PM
At 2/11/2011 1:13:48 PM, Indophile wrote:
At 2/11/2011 1:08:22 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

Ha ha.

Even I thought so. That's why I was wondering why G B Shaw would say such a thing :)

Probably just trying to be funny!
I am voting for Innomen because of his intelligence, common sense, humility and the fact that Juggle appears to listen to him. Any other Presidential style would have a large sub-section of the site up in arms. If I was President I would destroy the site though elitism, others would let it run riot. Innomen represents a middle way that works, neither draconian nor anarchic and that is the only way things can work. Plus he does it all without ego trips.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2011 3:06:12 PM
At 3/2/2011 1:41:45 PM, Safia.Abdalla wrote:
No society will ever work because they will all have their flaws. Corruption is inevitable.

Society is just one big joint family. Are you saying families won't ever work? :)
And it will be true.
Safia.Abdalla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2011 4:52:47 PM
At 3/2/2011 3:06:12 PM, Indophile wrote:
No society will ever work because they will all have their flaws. Corruption is inevitable.

Society is just one big joint family. Are you saying families won't ever work? :)

Families are different because there is immediate genetic relation which at least causes some sanity in families.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2011 5:03:58 PM
At 3/2/2011 4:52:47 PM, Safia.Abdalla wrote:

Families are different because there is immediate genetic relation which at least causes some sanity in families.

Families are sane? lmao. Since when?
Safia.Abdalla
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/2/2011 5:09:37 PM
At 3/2/2011 5:03:58 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 3/2/2011 4:52:47 PM, Safia.Abdalla wrote:

Families are sane? lmao. Since when?
Recall I said "at least some". ;)
kelly224
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 8:20:31 AM

stop oppressing people. there are many circumstances in which someone turns to crime, and I'm not justifying anyone.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/3/2011 10:34:16 AM
At 3/3/2011 8:20:31 AM, kelly224 wrote:

stop oppressing people. there are many circumstances in which someone turns to crime, and I'm not justifying anyone.

That's just like saying, "Everybody, be good." We all know that doesn't work. How do you make people stop oppressing other people?
And it will be true.
PervRat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 3:57:29 PM
The only certain way to achieve peace between men is to kill every person. Dead people are the only sort to have any certainty of being non-violent.
Indophile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/8/2011 4:02:25 PM
At 3/8/2011 3:57:29 PM, PervRat wrote:
The only certain way to achieve peace between men is to kill every person. Dead people are the only sort to have any certainty of being non-violent.

Not even there. There are accounts of people who have been resurrected and will return one day to wage war upon the evil forces! :)
And it will be true.