Jump to topic:

NFL Draft 2011

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 1:37:21 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
There are two seasons: football season and waiting for football season... 6 months and 14 days til kick-off! Anyway I'm not sure if there's another thread on this yet, but who do you predict will go early in the April 28th draft? Who would you like to see your favorite team get? Any predictions about some of the big names (like Cam Newton)?
President of DDO
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 1:57:27 AM
Andrew Luck, first pick first round
: At 4/15/2011 5:29:37 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
: Pascal's wager is for poosies.
:
: I mean that sincerly, because it's basically an argument from poooosie.
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 2:05:57 AM
At 2/22/2011 1:57:27 AM, m93samman wrote:

Im pretty sure andrew Luck is not in the draft this year
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 2:10:21 AM
At 2/22/2011 1:37:21 AM, Danielle wrote:
There are two seasons: football season and waiting for football season... 6 months and 14 days til kick-off! Anyway I'm not sure if there's another thread on this yet, but who do you predict will go early in the April 28th draft? Who would you like to see your favorite team get? Any predictions about some of the big names (like Cam Newton)?

I think Cam Newton will just be a pick out of desperation. There is no high prospect quarterback this year.

Cam Newton could be the 1st overall pick if Carolina is desperate enough. I am betting they aren't and will pick Nick Fairly since he is supposed to be the best player in this year's draft.

I hope SF gets Patrick Peterson our secondary desperately needs playmakers
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 2:12:53 AM
At 2/22/2011 2:05:57 AM, Loserboi wrote:

Oh yea I forgot, he's finishing his education.

Cam Newton goes early, methinks
:
:
: I'm pretty sure that's like a fallacy.. Argument ad Pussium or something like that.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 2:55:07 AM
Nick Fairley (DT) and Da'Quan Bowers (DE) should be the first two off the board. Bowers and Fairley each really only have one great season at the collegiate level, but they really were tremendous in the last year. They are easily the top two players in this draft. Defensive tackle is a bigger need for the Panthers, so I see Fairley as the more likely choice. The Broncos will be pleased to "settle" with whoever falls to them at the two spot.

I can see the Bills taking Cam Newton at the three spot, he's really been skyrocketing on the big board the past few weeks. The perhaps smarter and definitely safer choice would be Von Miller (OLB). Cam Newton really is starting to look legit though - like a faster version of Ben Roethlisberger. He has all the tools and intangibles to succeed as an NFL quarterback. I don't really buy the comparisons to JaMarcus Russell and Vince Young - besides the fact that each of them are black. They're all very different quarterbacks.

The Bengals are most likely losing TO and Chad Johnson, so they definitely need a new WR or two. AJ Green, a WR out of Georgia, is probably the safest WR pick in the draft since Calvin Johnson. Even though I don't like the idea of drafting WRs this early in the draft, I think Green is a special player and deserves to come off the board as the fourth pick in the draft.

At the fifth pick in the draft, the Cardinals have a bunch of needs -- offensive line, tight end, OLB, cornerback, etc. Their biggest need by far, however, is quarterback. Cam Newton and Blaine Gabbert are the obvious choices. However, Ken Whisenhunt, the head coach of the Cardinals, is on the hot seat. Head coaches on the hot seat don't bring in rookie quarterbacks. The Cards will most likely bring in a veteran QB like Donovan McNabb or Marc Bulger to come in and compete with John Skelton for the starting job. If Von Miller slips from the Bills, I think Miller is a no-brainer for the Cardinals. Patrick Peterson, a cornerback from LSU, is another very likely selection for the Cardinals with the fifth pick.

The team I support - the New England Patriots - are coming off a tough loss to the Jets, but a pretty good year overall. With a rag-tag bunch of skill players on offense and the youngest defense in the NFL, the Patriots are coming off what most considered a rebuilding year. 14-3 in a rebuilding year isn't that bad!

In Vegas, the Patriots are currently the favorites to win the Super Bowl with 5-1 odds, the Packers are close behind with 6-1 odds. The Patriots have three picks in the first 33 selections and six picks in the first 100 selections, so they will be adding even more young talent for the upcoming season. The Patriots have two glaring needs that must be addressed - a pass rushing outside linebacker and a solid defensive end that can preferably play down in both the 3-4 and 4-3.

With the 17th pick in the draft (which they acquired from Oakland for Richard Seymour), I anticipate a selection of a d-end. Earlier, I was hoping JJ Watt (DE) from Wisconsin would be available here, but his draft stock has skyrocketed recently, so he likely won't be available here. Cameron Jordan, a d-end from Cal who played in the 3-4, will most likely be available here. He's a great fit as a 5-technique d-end, he's versatile since he will be able to play in both 3-4 and 4-3, and he has some pass-rushing ability to go along with his strongest attribute of stopping the run.

The Patriots also have the 28th and 33th (which they acquired from the Panthers last year for the Pats' third round pick) picks in the draft. Belichick loves to trade down for more picks, so I doubt that he'll keep both of these picks. With one of these picks, I hope that the Patriots will continue to shore up their need at pass-rush. Justin Houston, an OLB from Georgia, is a great pass-rusher and will do wonders to improve the Pats' pass rush. I wouldn't be surprised if the Pats go in a number of different ways with this late pick though -- RB, WR, o-line; hopefully though, the Pats take a player like Justin Houston.

My Predictions:
1. Panthers - Nick Fairley (DT) - Auburn
2. Broncos - Da'Quan Bowers (DE) - Clemson
3. Bills - Cam Newton (QB) - Auburn
4. Bengals - AJ Green (WR) - Georgia
5. Cardinals - Von Miller (OLB) - Texas A&M
17. Patriots - Cameron Jordan (DE) - California
28. Patriots - Justin Houston (OLB) - Georgia
33. Patriots - [trade]

Let's just hope there's no lockout. That would make me very sad. :(

And Jesus Christ, I feel like I should be compensated for writing this article. This must have taken an hour or so to write.
m93samman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 2:58:16 AM
At 2/22/2011 2:55:07 AM, Nags wrote:
a lot
:
:
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 3:06:43 AM
At 2/22/2011 2:58:16 AM, m93samman wrote:
At 2/22/2011 2:55:07 AM, Nags wrote:
a lot

Pshh, eff you. I took a lot of time to write that. At least I know Danielle will read it, she writes long passages and loves the NFL just as I do. I'm sure she'll appreciate it.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 10:57:23 AM
At 2/22/2011 3:06:43 AM, Nags wrote:
Pshh, eff you. I took a lot of time to write that. At least I know Danielle will read it, she writes long passages and loves the NFL just as I do. I'm sure she'll appreciate it.

Actually I did! It was really insightful and I had no idea that there are already predictions about next year's Superbowl. However I don't think you could really predict these kinds of things. Mid-season everyone thought the Pats and Falcons would be going; before the season people said it'd be the Cowboys. You don't really know what to expect. However the Patriots are always going to be a contender so long as they've got Brady. And btw - their fall to the Jets at the end of the season was just too satisfying ;)

Now back to the draft...

I see what you're saying but tend to think the Panthers should pick AJ Green. They need a WR desperately - especially if they plan on featuring Clausen more (and they should; their pass game last season was terrible). If it's not him it'll be Fairley, and either choice is good. Denver meanwhile will go with Fairley or Marcell Dareus if they're set on a DT. If they're not then they'll just go with one of the best players for trading opportunities.

I agree that the Bills could pick Cam Newton. That guy's a behemoth - 6'6, 245. I concur that he's similar to Big Ben - I even predict future rape charges lol he seems like that kinda guy. Plus Fitzpatrick is not gonna be their staple QB, so either they go with Cam this year, or wait until next year. I definitely think they'll take Cam though. He can bring new energy to revitalize the organization, OR he'll turn into a huge whiney brat if they can't win.

As for the Bengals, if Carolina takes Green, Cincy could also go with Julio Jones and he's pretty awesome too. Now blah blah blah onto my Giants. I definitely want them to get an O-Lineman. Tyron Smith would be my first choice; if he's not available then Nate Solder. As for my Jets, I'd like to see them get a defensive tackle. Unfortunately Marcell Dareus will be long gone by then, so maybe the next best one (I have no idea who that might be...). I'd also be okay with them getting Cameron Heyward, the DE from Ohio State.

One thing I'd like to mention though is that nobody seems to think Mark Ingram will go early. I understand that not a lot of teams are looking for RBs right now; however, I think he's being really underrated. Miami will snatch him right up with their 15 spot if he's not already taken. However, here's my upset special -- If I were Arizona, I would pick Ingram with my number 5 spot. Yep I said it. I know nobody's predicting that and they probably they won't, but maybe they should. They ranked dead last in the NFL with rushing last season, and I don't see future potential in that area. I think Ingram would be a steal for them, personally.
President of DDO
Caramel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 11:58:07 AM
At 2/22/2011 10:57:23 AM, Danielle wrote:
However I don't think you could really predict these kinds of things. Mid-season everyone thought the Pats and Falcons would be going; before the season people said it'd be the Cowboys.

Yeah I was hearing Cowboys and Bengals before the season. They combined for like 1 and a half wins. Why is it that their superstar receiving corps were so ineffective? Austin/Williams and Owens/Ochocinco should have been unstoppable.
no comment
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 3:06:54 PM
At 2/22/2011 10:57:23 AM, Danielle wrote:
However I don't think you could really predict these kinds of things.

Right, it's hard to do - I was just pointing it out.

And btw - their fall to the Jets at the end of the season was just too satisfying ;)

It was so frustrating. :( The Patriots looked unstoppable in the beginning of that game.

I see what you're saying but tend to think the Panthers should pick AJ Green. They need a WR desperately - especially if they plan on featuring Clausen more (and they should; their pass game last season was terrible).

I think AJ Green will be a superstar QB, but I'm not sure if he's a good fit with the Panthers. Steve Smith has been a perennial pro-bowler but Claussen couldn't get him the ball last season either. The Panthers already have a decent defense, and they can help strengthen that with Fairley or Bowers.

Now blah blah blah onto my Giants. I definitely want them to get an O-Lineman. Tyron Smith would be my first choice; if he's not available then Nate Solder.

I agree with this as well. The Lions or Chargers each have pretty good chances of taking one or both of these OTs, so you better hope that at least one of them are available here -- in all likelihood, at least one of these guys will be available at the Giants' 19 spot. ...Btw, that Eagles comeback and DeSean Jackson's punt return was very satisfying as well.

As for my Jets, I'd like to see them get a defensive tackle. Unfortunately Marcell Dareus will be long gone by then, so maybe the next best one (I have no idea who that might be...). I'd also be okay with them getting Cameron Heyward, the DE from Ohio State.

I see the Jets taking a nose-tackle from Baylor here - Phil Taylor. They should take a defensive lineman here, but I wouldn't be too surprised if they take a WR or safety.

One thing I'd like to mention though is that nobody seems to think Mark Ingram will go early. I understand that not a lot of teams are looking for RBs right now; however, I think he's being really underrated. Miami will snatch him right up with their 15 spot if he's not already taken. However, here's my upset special -- If I were Arizona, I would pick Ingram with my number 5 spot. Yep I said it. I know nobody's predicting that and they probably they won't, but maybe they should. They ranked dead last in the NFL with rushing last season, and I don't see future potential in that area. I think Ingram would be a steal for them, personally.

Ingram doesn't seem like he can be a premier or elite running back - he doesn't have the speed nor the ability on pass plays to be a three-down back. I see Ingram falling down to the 15 spot to the Dolphins. He'll be a good NFL back though -- kinda like Shonn Greene of the Jets.
Awed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2011 11:08:04 PM
I actually think that the Bills could pass on Newton for Dareus or Miller. If so, San Francisco would probably pick up Newton, maybe even Gabbert.

1. Nick Fairley
2. Da'Quan Bowers
3. Marcell Dareus
4. AJ Green
5. Von Miller
Cyrus75
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2011 12:09:48 PM

your definitly right Luck is going to play one more year and probably win all the big awards(last year 3 herbies).
zGodMode
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/27/2011 10:47:18 PM
At 2/26/2011 12:09:48 PM, Cyrus75 wrote:

your definitly right Luck is going to play one more year and probably win all the big awards(last year 3 herbies).

Luck will suffer from the condition of being on the Heisman finalist list and being one of the top Pro prospects, but deciding to go back for one last year.

-Mark Ingram getting injured at the start of the season
-Tim Tebow's concussion
-Sam Bradford re-injuring his shoulder
-Mike Hart's constant hamstring/ankle injuries in 2007

That's just from the past 4 years.