Jump to topic:

Albert Pujols

SuzzaneO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2011 6:24:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
If you were the Saint Louis Cardinals, would you sign albert to a ten year deal or let him leave? At his age, is he really worth the money for 10 years?
ccstate4peat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2011 7:05:52 PM
At 4/25/2011 6:24:27 PM, SuzzaneO wrote:
If you were the Saint Louis Cardinals, would you sign albert to a ten year deal or let him leave? At his age, is he really worth the money for 10 years?

Can you tell me when he hasn't made an All-Star Game, been in a post season trophy race, been in the running for the batting title, or home run title? No. You can't. He is worth every cent he's asking for.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2011 7:41:48 PM
At 4/25/2011 7:05:52 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:

Can you tell me when he hasn't made an All-Star Game, been in a post season trophy race, been in the running for the batting title, or home run title? No. You can't. He is worth every cent he's asking for.

Will he be worth it in 10 years? That is the question. This is a long term investment. Is he a long term asset for the team?

Remember, baseball has guaranteed payment. Meaning that he could go strikeout every time he walks up to the plate for the next 1,620 games, and they still have to pay him. They can't say "dude, you are sucking, we're ending this." without paying every cent that they already offered.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
ccstate4peat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/25/2011 8:13:46 PM
At 4/25/2011 7:41:48 PM, OreEle wrote:

Will he be worth it in 10 years? That is the question. This is a long term investment. Is he a long term asset for the team?

Remember, baseball has guaranteed payment. Meaning that he could go strikeout every time he walks up to the plate for the next 1,620 games, and they still have to pay him. They can't say "dude, you are sucking, we're ending this." without paying every cent that they already offered.

Barring serious injury he's going to be solid for the next 10 years.
KnowItAll
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 1:52:23 PM
He's the best player in baseball and has been underpaid the entire time he's been in the league. He'll play at a high level up until the last few years of the deal. The Cardinals would have to be crazy to let the guy walk.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 2:36:26 PM
At 4/25/2011 8:13:46 PM, ccstate4peat wrote:
At 4/25/2011 7:41:48 PM, OreEle wrote:

Barring serious injury he's going to be solid for the next 10 years.

Apart from his Rookie year.

Last year, was his lowest BA (.312, still damn good, but it has been dropping over the years, compared to his career average of .330) and most SO (76, increasing over the years). And this year, he is off to a not so hot start. I really only see another 3 or 4 great years for him, and then another 2 good years after that. And even then, it really depends on the rest of the line up (the guys in front of him have to get on base for him to get RBIs, and the guys behind him have to be good so that opponents cannot simply pitch around him).

They should have only offered a contract of 5 to 7 years.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2011 2:47:05 PM
If you were the Saint Louis Cardinals, would you sign albert to a ten year deal or let him leave? At his age, is he really worth the money for 10 years?:

Hell no. I wouldn't sign a first year draft player for a 10 year contract. There are too many variables and what-if's. I wouldn't even sign Pujols for 3 years.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2011 6:37:24 AM

He's going to the Cubbies!!! (I wish)