Jump to topic:

2012 Draft - Luck

Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 9:07:44 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
So, at the end of this upcoming season, there will probably be 4 or 5 teams who are close to the number 32 spot. They'll have absolutely no chance of making the playoffs. It's likely that at least 2 or 3 of these teams will be quarterback hungry, and hoping to pick up Andrew Luck in the draft, who is promising to be a stellar QB. Wouldn't it be worth throwing the last game or two to get him? What happens if a play-off berth is on the line and a team throws the last game to get luck, and ends up changing the playoff scheme? Green Bay was the 6th seed and they won it all, so something like this, if it happened last year, would have have profound consequences. It calls into question the entire legitimacy of the Superbowl.

Even more interestingly, but perhaps not as importantly, is the possibility that two qb-hungry bottom-of-the-barrel teams meet up in the last game, with the understanding that the loser will get the number one draft pick (and by extension, Andrew Luck). How would this game proceed? It would almost make more sense to make them compete to win for the number 32 spot, but of course there is no way to arrange something like this.

Would it be naive of me to suggest that some coaches are planning seriously to get Luck on their roster? Draft picks are not guaranteed of course, but if Luck just keeps getting better this season, then this question might become even more pertinent. I know I was happy as a clam in high tide when the Packers went 6-10 during Rogers' first season so we could get some good picks...
kfc
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/19/2011 6:49:47 PM
At 5/19/2011 9:07:44 AM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
So, at the end of this upcoming season, there will probably be 4 or 5 teams who are close to the number 32 spot. They'll have absolutely no chance of making the playoffs. It's likely that at least 2 or 3 of these teams will be quarterback hungry, and hoping to pick up Andrew Luck in the draft, who is promising to be a stellar QB. Wouldn't it be worth throwing the last game or two to get him? What happens if a play-off berth is on the line and a team throws the last game to get luck, and ends up changing the playoff scheme? Green Bay was the 6th seed and they won it all, so something like this, if it happened last year, would have have profound consequences. It calls into question the entire legitimacy of the Superbowl.

If you had a chance at a playoff berth, you would not get Luck, I highly doubt that even if you got a lottery pick by giving up the playoff berth at the last minute that Luck would fall that far. Why does it call into question the legitimacy of the Superbowl. Green Bay was a legitimate title contender. They are 6th seat because their division is one of the toughest in the NFL. Vikings, Bears, and Lions are all decent teams.

Even more interestingly, but perhaps not as importantly, is the possibility that two qb-hungry bottom-of-the-barrel teams meet up in the last game, with the understanding that the loser will get the number one draft pick (and by extension, Andrew Luck). How would this game proceed? It would almost make more sense to make them compete to win for the number 32 spot, but of course there is no way to arrange something like this.

If that happens than iono.

Would it be naive of me to suggest that some coaches are planning seriously to get Luck on their roster? Draft picks are not guaranteed of course, but if Luck just keeps getting better this season, then this question might become even more pertinent. I know I was happy as a clam in high tide when the Packers went 6-10 during Rogers' first season so we could get some good picks...

I dont think coaches can afford purposely throwing a season to get Luck at least not in this day and age when coaches get replaced so often.

Luck is not like a guaranteed success. He is just a really high prospect, if he gets drafted to a sh1t team his entire career could be ruined. Like Alex Smith who going into the draft had all the makings of a great QB but years of different coaches, offensive coordinators, insufficient weapons destroyed his career. You can throw a season but just because you get luck, doesnt mean your gonna turn everything around.
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2011 3:44:59 PM
At 5/19/2011 6:49:47 PM, Loserboi wrote:
At 5/19/2011 9:07:44 AM, Rob1_Billion wrote:

If you had a chance at a playoff berth, you would not get Luck, I highly doubt that even if you got a lottery pick by giving up the playoff berth at the last minute that Luck would fall that far. Why does it call into question the legitimacy of the Superbowl. Green Bay was a legitimate title contender. They are 6th seat because their division is one of the toughest in the NFL. Vikings, Bears, and Lions are all decent teams.

I didn't make myself totally clear. I meant to point out that if a sh*tty team played a wildcard contender, that they could throw it and offset the playoffs. Like, if the Bears were doing terrible last year, they could have thrown that last game against the Packers and seriously screwed over the Giants. I would have never heard the end of that from Danielle!

If that happens than iono.

I dont think coaches can afford purposely throwing a season to get Luck at least not in this day and age when coaches get replaced so often.

If I was an owner, I would just tell the damned coach to throw it in order to get luck (if that was how it was gonna play out). Draft picks mean everything; that's your team. I just saw an article on espn.com that analyzed draft picks over the last few years, and the Saints did the best and the Pack was third. That's a pretty impressive correlation. The article pretty much looked at what picks they took, and then did a hind-sight analysis of where those picks actually would have been if we knew ahead of time how they were gonna do. So it would seem that those who get the best picks seem to win the Superbowl... Around here, we have great faith in the Pack's ability to draft.

Luck is not like a guaranteed success. He is just a really high prospect, if he gets drafted to a sh1t team his entire career could be ruined. Like Alex Smith who going into the draft had all the makings of a great QB but years of different coaches, offensive coordinators, insufficient weapons destroyed his career. You can throw a season but just because you get luck, doesnt mean your gonna turn everything around.

Most sports guys tell me not to put too much stock in draft hype... I understand that there's no guarantee but a final game in a lost season is worthless. I guess the real challenge is setting up the season so that you don't get sh*t teams playing playoff contenders at the end.
kfc
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2011 4:58:10 PM
If I were Luck, and the team wanting to get me was throwing games to get me, I'd stay at Stanford for another year (senior year), just to piss them off. I'd also be so bold as to say that I would not play for any team that intentionally throws games, so if they want me to sit on their bench, so be it.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2011 5:52:36 PM
At 5/23/2011 4:58:10 PM, OreEle wrote:
If I were Luck, and the team wanting to get me was throwing games to get me, I'd stay at Stanford for another year (senior year), just to piss them off. I'd also be so bold as to say that I would not play for any team that intentionally throws games, so if they want me to sit on their bench, so be it.

It seems you overestimate the influence of Luck's discretion in the matter. His arm is useless if he thinks he is gonna call shots in the way you describe, and staying in college is a pretty rough choice for him to make for many reasons. Teams are looking for players that want to play as much as they are looking at players that can play. Staying in school to graduate is one thing considering his age, but I would say that card has been played already.
kfc
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2011 6:16:42 PM
At 5/23/2011 5:52:36 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
At 5/23/2011 4:58:10 PM, OreEle wrote:

It seems you overestimate the influence of Luck's discretion in the matter. His arm is useless if he thinks he is gonna call shots in the way you describe, and staying in college is a pretty rough choice for him to make for many reasons. Teams are looking for players that want to play as much as they are looking at players that can play. Staying in school to graduate is one thing considering his age, but I would say that card has been played already.

Eli, man.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"