Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2011 6:34:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Won first set 6-3
Lost second set 6-1
Lost third set 6-4

Really frustrated right now. Kinda wanna take my anger out on someone/something but I'm not a violent person so I guess I'm gonna have to eat it.

I smoked this same kid the first time I played him this season too. 6-1, 6-0.

I've played this kid every single year in high school and this is the first time he beat me. He did a little dance and celebration after he won too and that made me even more pissed.

During the second set, it started to drizzle/rain. My best shot which I hit the majority of the time is a forehand with a ton of topspin, similar to Nadal's. Obviously not nearly as good as Nadal's, but you get my point. And the ball wasn't really spinning as much once the rain started. So my best shot was useless for the second and third sets.

And my dad gave me a hard time once I got home because the kid I lost to is his co-worker's son. The last thing I wanted to hear was my dad giving me sh1t.

That was my second loss of the season. My first loss was to a freshman tennis prodigy from Russia, and he swept me 6-0, 6-0. I only got to deuce once against him but I wasn't even mad because this kid was the best tennis player I've ever played against or seen by far. This loss today pissed me off though, because the kid I lost to sucks.

J. Kenyon and mongeose twins, do you get really upset when you lose tennis matches you know you should have won? I dunno why, but I've never been this upset before about a tennis match. Kinda have that depressed-type feeling.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2011 6:38:32 PM
No offense, but it's a fuck1ng tennis match. What does that prove? That he can use a racket better than you?

Try losing an MMA/grappling/Muay thai match.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2011 6:40:03 PM
At 5/23/2011 6:38:32 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
No offense, but it's a fuck1ng tennis match. What does that prove? That he can use a racket better than you?

Tennis > MMA/grappling/Muay thai match.
kfc
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2011 6:40:08 PM
Just goes that you may need to get more rounded. If your main weapon is neutralized by the rain, you may need to develop a backup that will work better against the rain (or incase you come against an opponent that is really good against the top spin).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2011 6:40:44 PM
At 5/23/2011 6:38:07 PM, Koopin wrote:
Its alright to cry

I rarely show my emotions and don't even remember the last time I cried. I was probably in middle or elementary school.

The principle is the same. I lost a close match to someone I should have beat. I don't really care that you don't find tennis cool enough.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2011 6:40:44 PM
At 5/23/2011 6:40:03 PM, Koopin wrote:

Tennis > MMA/grappling/Muay thai match.

Yeah Bieber, get with the times.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2011 6:43:51 PM
At 5/23/2011 6:40:44 PM, Nags wrote:
At 5/23/2011 6:38:07 PM, Koopin wrote:
Its alright to cry

I rarely show my emotions and don't even remember the last time I cried. I was probably in middle or elementary school.

The principle is the same. I lost a close match to someone I should have beat. I don't really care that you don't find tennis cool enough.

It sucks, and I'm just saying it helps if you put it in perspective.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2011 6:44:03 PM
At 5/23/2011 6:40:08 PM, OreEle wrote:
Just goes that you may need to get more rounded. If your main weapon is neutralized by the rain, you may need to develop a backup that will work better against the rain (or incase you come against an opponent that is really good against the top spin).

Yeah, I suppose. I would have beat him without the rain easily because he could barely get my forehand over the net. And nobody else I faced has actually been able to defend my forehand other than that Russian prodigy. The rain sucks, and I'm not going to be able to work on a shot good enough to match my forehand.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2011 6:46:06 PM

I don't get what you're saying. In perspective of what? Because I didn't get knocked out or choked out like I would in a martial art, the frustration isn't the same? I'm not seeing it.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2011 6:49:35 PM
At 5/23/2011 6:44:03 PM, Nags wrote:
At 5/23/2011 6:40:08 PM, OreEle wrote:

Yeah, I suppose. I would have beat him without the rain easily because he could barely get my forehand over the net. And nobody else I faced has actually been able to defend my forehand other than that Russian prodigy. The rain sucks, and I'm not going to be able to work on a shot good enough to match my forehand.

I use to do ping pong, and I was pretty good, but that was only because everyone else only ever did top spin hits, and it became easy to defend, and since I didn't put any spin on my shots, they were not good against me (basically, found a niche). Either way, I was basically a big fish in a small pond, I eventually moved around and started playing with some friends that actually knew more than a top spin shot, and I started getting cremed, just had to adjust. I now know how to read the spin off of the paddle movement, and for the most part, can return almost any shot.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2011 6:51:01 PM
At 5/23/2011 6:46:06 PM, Nags wrote:

I don't get what you're saying. In perspective of what? Because I didn't get knocked out or choked out like I would in a martial art, the frustration isn't the same? I'm not seeing it.

Well, at least you're not covered in bruises -- but it extends beyond martial arts. I tend to view it in terms of whether I've got "soul owned." Tennis is a very isolated skill, and there's bound to be something you can beat that kid in.

I actually would argue that losing in martial arts is worse though, all else being equal.
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2011 6:52:39 PM
At 5/23/2011 6:34:09 PM, Nags wrote:
J. Kenyon and mongeose twins, do you get really upset when you lose tennis matches you know you should have won? I dunno why, but I've never been this upset before about a tennis match. Kinda have that depressed-type feeling.

I don't like to say I "should have won." I think it shows a lack of respect for the other player. If you should have won, you would have won, no? He outplayed you. Maybe you could have or should have played better, but that's a different story.

But hell yes I get p!ssed when I lose matches I expected to win. I was a racquet smasher back in the day...I think I've busted at least 3 or 4. I kind of grew out of it, but I still get mad. I don't really have any advice, I couldn't tell you that anything specific helped me. I'm still hyper competitive, but I just reached a point where I can accept that I'm not Roger Federer. No matter how hard I try, I'm still going to lose matches. Everyone has off days.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2011 7:01:54 PM
At 5/23/2011 6:52:39 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
I don't like to say I "should have won." I think it shows a lack of respect for the other player. If you should have won, you would have won, no? He outplayed you. Maybe you could have or should have played better, but that's a different story.

Yeah, that's what I more or less meant. I know I'm better than him but I just fell apart today.

But hell yes I get p!ssed when I lose matches I expected to win. I was a racquet smasher back in the day...I think I've busted at least 3 or 4. I kind of grew out of it, but I still get mad. I don't really have any advice, I couldn't tell you that anything specific helped me. I'm still hyper competitive, but I just reached a point where I can accept that I'm not Roger Federer. No matter how hard I try, I'm still going to lose matches. Everyone has off days.

Haha, I never smash racquets. An asian kid I played this year swore every single time he lost a point and if it was after a long volley he'd yell it pretty loud. After I won the first set he smashed his racquet and stormed off the court yelling stuff in Japanese. He hopped in his beat up Honda and just left the court. Funniest thing I've ever seen.

I usually just say f*ck under my breath when I lose a point or something. I don't get too emotional at all but I'm still extremely competitive. I felt like smashing my racquet today but I refrained.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2011 7:05:27 PM
At 5/23/2011 6:57:23 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
Why wasn't the match called due to rain?

It was drizzling, more of a light rain. And we already had to re-schedule this match twice because of rain, we couldn't do it again.

If your forehand wasn't penetrating, did you try other tactics?

In the second set when it started raining I kept using my forehand but it didn't work. In the third set, I used my one-handed backhand as much as I could and came to the net more often but it just wasn't working.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2011 7:08:05 PM
At 5/23/2011 7:05:27 PM, Nags wrote:
At 5/23/2011 6:57:23 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
Why wasn't the match called due to rain?

It was drizzling, more of a light rain. And we already had to re-schedule this match twice because of rain, we couldn't do it again.

This spring is the most rain Massachusetts has gotten in its history. Been raining for seven weeks straight.
Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2011 7:09:29 PM
I am so terrible at tennis you wouldn't believe it. A strong game for me is serving into the box more than two-thirds of the time.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2011 7:13:39 PM
At 5/23/2011 7:09:29 PM, Grape wrote:
I am so terrible at tennis you wouldn't believe it. A strong game for me is serving into the box more than two-thirds of the time.

That's not THAT bad. If you can hit the ball in the general direction that you are aiming, you at least have the potential to get better with practice.
Grape
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2011 8:34:16 PM
At 5/23/2011 7:13:36 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
The key is to have a billion rationalizations as to what it even means to lose in said sport.

My sport is pretty simple. To lose in cross country is to not run as fast as whoever wins.
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/23/2011 9:01:15 PM
Yeah tennis is infuriating to lose, because you're continuously trying to make precise shots that can be easy at times and poor at others. I get pissed when I lose and it's hard to hide it. I'm an amateur n00b though, probably not as good as you guys.

It happens:
http://i201.photobucket.com...
kfc
ccstate4peat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2011 12:19:42 AM
At 5/23/2011 8:34:16 PM, Grape wrote:
The key is to have a billion rationalizations as to what it even means to lose in said sport.

My sport is pretty simple. To lose in cross country is to not run as fast as whoever wins.

You've never lost to someone you should've beat because of strategy errors?
theitalianstallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/24/2011 5:10:51 PM
At 5/23/2011 6:34:09 PM, Nags wrote:
Won first set 6-3
Lost second set 6-1
Lost third set 6-4

Really frustrated right now. Kinda wanna take my anger out on someone/something but I'm not a violent person so I guess I'm gonna have to eat it.

I smoked this same kid the first time I played him this season too. 6-1, 6-0.

I've played this kid every single year in high school and this is the first time he beat me. He did a little dance and celebration after he won too and that made me even more pissed.

During the second set, it started to drizzle/rain. My best shot which I hit the majority of the time is a forehand with a ton of topspin, similar to Nadal's. Obviously not nearly as good as Nadal's, but you get my point. And the ball wasn't really spinning as much once the rain started. So my best shot was useless for the second and third sets.

And my dad gave me a hard time once I got home because the kid I lost to is his co-worker's son. The last thing I wanted to hear was my dad giving me sh1t.

That was my second loss of the season. My first loss was to a freshman tennis prodigy from Russia, and he swept me 6-0, 6-0. I only got to deuce once against him but I wasn't even mad because this kid was the best tennis player I've ever played against or seen by far. This loss today pissed me off though, because the kid I lost to sucks.

I know exactly how you feel. I played tennis for the first time this year and although I'm not very good right now, I know what guys I should be able to beat as soon as I start warming up with them.

I'm terribly inconsistent, but I still get very frustrated with myself when I don't beat people I think I should.

The best thing to do is to just get over it. B!tching and moaning about it isn't going to solve anything. And I'm not speaking from just 1 year of tennis, but also 4 years of cross country and track; same thing applies across the board.
When Reach fell, I came.
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2011 4:57:20 PM

If you can accept losing, you can't win.
Vince Lombardi

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.
Vince Lombardi
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2011 5:05:26 PM
At 5/27/2011 4:57:20 PM, Greyparrot wrote:

Vince Lombardi

Vince Lombardi

Is it just me, or do those two statements seem at odds with each other?
Greyparrot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/27/2011 6:39:22 PM
At 5/27/2011 5:05:26 PM, OreEle wrote:

Vince Lombardi

Vince Lombardi

losing =/= loser

OREGON!
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2011 10:54:14 AM
At 5/27/2011 6:39:22 PM, Greyparrot wrote:
At 5/27/2011 5:05:26 PM, OreEle wrote:

Vince Lombardi

Vince Lombardi

losing =/= loser

OREGON!

Green Bay!

Vince Lombardi is kind of a big thing around here. Man I can't wait for the Packers' Superbowl this year... we always go in pairs.
kfc
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/28/2011 11:08:51 AM
At 5/23/2011 6:40:44 PM, Nags wrote:

The last time I cried was in primary school when I broke my arm running into a cupboard playing indoor tennis. Never really played tennis since.