Jump to topic:

Runners!

Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2011 1:45:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Awesome video... he lays out the case for barefoot running and basically asserts that injuries due to running are completely the responsibility of modern footwear. I wanted to test the concept today, however I ended up going to a paved trail and I wasn't going to mess with that. They have bare-foot shoes, oxymoronic as it sounds, however I'm hesitant to spend the money on them... I usually run on trails in the woods, and I'm thinking about testing it out barefoot, although there is certainly a risk involved that I'm nervous about. Little stones and the like could be hazardous to my feet, and I would be giving up the soft skin on my soles for some pretty rough calluses... What do you guys think?
kfc
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2011 5:26:38 AM
At 6/5/2011 1:45:51 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:

Awesome video... he lays out the case for barefoot running and basically asserts that injuries due to running are completely the responsibility of modern footwear. I wanted to test the concept today, however I ended up going to a paved trail and I wasn't going to mess with that. They have bare-foot shoes, oxymoronic as it sounds, however I'm hesitant to spend the money on them... I usually run on trails in the woods, and I'm thinking about testing it out barefoot, although there is certainly a risk involved that I'm nervous about. Little stones and the like could be hazardous to my feet, and I would be giving up the soft skin on my soles for some pretty rough calluses... What do you guys think?

I have been running without shoes in forests for a few years, and enjoy it throughly. About a month ago my father invested in a pair of barefoot shoes. However, my father has since suffered a stress fracture whilst running. My uncle, a doctor, believes this to have been caused by the reduced protection of the feet.
I would recommend trying it without the shoes before hand, and not to worry about the ground. Most discomfort can be avoided with a quick eye and foot, and if you really cared about comfort you wouldn't be a cross-country runner!
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/6/2011 11:19:25 AM
Just what I wanted to hear Thaddeus. Just what I wanted to hear. I didn't want to go trying to shop for those damned shoes anyway... Gonna give it a try in the next day or two and I'll let you know how I do.
kfc
theitalianstallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 2:09:24 PM
Barefoot running is great! I don't do it very often, but I love it when I do.

Quick eyes are the key to not cutting or breaking anything.
When Reach fell, I came.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2011 10:32:17 PM
Sounds like a good idea. I would probably do it but I live somewhat in the city.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2011 2:50:45 PM
Still waiting for my chance to try it... it's been ninety plus degrees with high humidity in Green Bay for the last few days and this is my favorite weather to run in (my joints just feel lovely when I'm scorching in the heat, while colder temps tend to make me ache). Being a full-time father makes t complicated!
kfc
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2011 2:59:35 PM
I knew someone who grew up on Kwajalein island in the south pacific, and was always barefoot, he said he could put a cigarette out with his barefoot.

I think if you conditioned your feet they could put up with a lot. I have no idea if it's better for your feet or not, but it seems cool, and I've seen the barefoot shoes, they look kind of funky too.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2011 3:44:34 PM
At 6/8/2011 2:59:35 PM, innomen wrote:
I knew someone who grew up on Kwajalein island in the south pacific, and was always barefoot, he said he could put a cigarette out with his barefoot.

I think if you conditioned your feet they could put up with a lot. I have no idea if it's better for your feet or not, but it seems cool, and I've seen the barefoot shoes, they look kind of funky too.

I used to go around bare foot allot when I was younger. The soles of my feet were really tough! They're still quite tough now even though I almost always where shoes out side.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2011 5:57:10 PM
The idea of running barefoot sounds terrible to me. I'm sure innomen is right in that you can condition your feet to withstand a lot more than you think, kinda like how guitar players need to develop callouses in order to not bleed every time they play. Still though I would not only be super uncomfortable with sasquatch looking feet, but I would be SO paranoid about hurting myself. I wouldn't be able to concentrate on the run. It takes enough effort for me to jog alone let alone worry about side stepping things that could really hurt me :| The shoes sound interesting though. I've seen them and they're funny looking, but probably really cool.
President of DDO
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2011 5:59:00 PM
At 6/8/2011 5:57:10 PM, Danielle wrote:
The idea of running barefoot sounds terrible to me. I'm sure innomen is right in that you can condition your feet to withstand a lot more than you think, kinda like how guitar players need to develop callouses in order to not bleed every time they play. Still though I would not only be super uncomfortable with sasquatch looking feet, but I would be SO paranoid about hurting myself. I wouldn't be able to concentrate on the run. It takes enough effort for me to jog alone let alone worry about side stepping things that could really hurt me :| The shoes sound interesting though. I've seen them and they're funny looking, but probably really cool.

Yeah but your a girl ;D
J.Kenyon
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2011 6:05:43 PM
My cousin runs barefoot about 12 miles every day, sometimes on unpaved dirt paths, but usually just through the forest. He's pretty ripped.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2011 6:08:03 PM
my younger brother has feet made of wood. you're more agile barefoot without a doubt. when i used be younger and livelier i used always go barefoot playing soccer with the lads. and dance around them. that was on grass though. couldn't see myself enjoying pulling a load of thorns out of my feet.
signature
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2011 6:10:01 PM
At 6/8/2011 6:05:43 PM, J.Kenyon wrote:
My cousin runs barefoot about 12 miles every day, sometimes on unpaved dirt paths, but usually just through the forest. He's pretty ripped.

Dayum :O I just tried jogging on the cement/grass around my pool and it was awful.
President of DDO
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2011 6:12:16 PM
i've turned into one lazy bastard since i reached legal drinking age. i'mma have to take up something fitness wise i'd say. i suppose running to start. or thai boxing if i can find a club near anywhere i'd be. i'd love to be a thai boxer.
signature
Steelerman6794
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2011 7:38:14 PM
I have flat feet and require custom orthodics to ensure there's arch support on my feet. I love running, and I wish I could try going barefoot, but I don't see any way to do it without having permanent fallen arches :|
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2011 2:37:15 PM
At 6/8/2011 5:57:10 PM, Danielle wrote:
I would...be super uncomfortable with sasquatch looking feet.

Yeah I've thought of that. Like a hobbit. A sacrifice I may have to make, even though my GF likes my soft soles.
kfc
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2011 2:37:49 PM

Wait... so most of the time he runs bare-foot on pavement?
kfc
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2011 2:43:33 PM
At 6/8/2011 6:12:16 PM, badger wrote:
i've turned into one lazy bastard since i reached legal drinking age. i'mma have to take up something fitness wise i'd say. i suppose running to start. or thai boxing if i can find a club near anywhere i'd be. i'd love to be a thai boxer.

Muay thai is really fun. Just make sure you go to a legit place because a lot of martial arts studios are complete rip offs or just health centers trying to cash in on the MMA fad.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2011 5:02:55 PM
At 6/9/2011 2:38:42 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:
i'd love to be a thai boxer.

Have you ever tried dance-fighting?

i've never tried anything formal. this is ireland. we've got nothing here but stupid karate. and thai boxing a few places but unfortunately nowhere near where i'm currently stationed. i'll be a master eventually though! that dance fighting sounds cool. knees, elbows and headbutts would be kinda my style.. wouldn't be altogether so acrobatic though.. which is why i figured thai boxing would be the one for me in the first place.
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2011 5:05:33 PM
At 6/9/2011 2:43:33 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

Muay thai is really fun. Just make sure you go to a legit place because a lot of martial arts studios are complete rip offs or just health centers trying to cash in on the MMA fad.

looks awesome too!
signature
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2011 5:08:04 PM
At 6/9/2011 2:37:49 PM, Rob1_Billion wrote:

Doesn't hurt as much as you'd think, provided you aren't a snorlax.
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2011 5:11:28 PM
At 6/9/2011 5:05:33 PM, badger wrote:
At 6/9/2011 2:43:33 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

looks awesome too!

that now i reckon i'd be acrobatic enough for. i'mma have to try a few of those kicks.
signature
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2011 5:13:27 PM
At 6/9/2011 5:08:04 PM, Thaddeus wrote:

Snorlax was barefoot, and after defeating him, rather than fainting, he lumbered back into the mountains...BAREFOOT!
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2011 5:16:31 PM
At 6/9/2011 5:13:27 PM, OreEle wrote:

Snorlax was barefoot, and after defeating him, rather than fainting, he lumbered back into the mountains...BAREFOOT!

maybe it had nothing to do with the being barefoot and just to do with him having a heart attack if he ran? that was the only sense i could make of it.
signature
badger
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2011 5:17:17 PM
At 6/9/2011 5:16:31 PM, badger wrote:

maybe it had nothing to do with the being barefoot and just to do with him having a heart attack if he ran? that was the only sense i could make of it.

or maybe he'd suffer emotional trauma?
signature
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/9/2011 5:19:37 PM

My point exactly. Now remember kids, don't play the flute near sleeping fat chicks.