Jump to topic:

Rory McIlroy Could Win More Majors Than Tiger

HisFlyness
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2011 6:33:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Rory McIlroy just won his first of MANY Major tournaments, the US Open, over the weekend. He could very well win more Majors than Tiger. Not only is his swing much more naturally than Tiger's Herculean stroke, but he also has the benefit of seeing Tiger go through the exact same process from his early 20's. Seeing Tiger's downfall, he could take steps to avoid the same end (not that Tiger's finished, but he's clearly past his prime).

Plus, I think Tiger's game is way more mental. Rory goes with the flow more, which is pretty clutch for the way golf is played.
"Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost." - Tolkein...or Babe Ruth. One of those guys.
Rob1_Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/21/2011 10:43:32 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I don't know sh*t about golf, nor do I want to, but I find some illogic in some of your assertions. First, seeing Tiger's downfall isn't going to help him. Big stars have been falling from grace for a long time, and just because it happened to a golfer doesn't mean he's going to have an advantage. What happens here is that the fortune and fame feels great, for a while, and then wears off. At that point, they have a problem, because you can't get any more of it and their tolerance, if you will, is jacked up so high that 'down' is basically the only direction they have left to go. Also, being a star jacks up one's pride. Without being balanced by humility, this pride can become a dangerous emotion.

Stars are at least smart enough to know that they need professional assistance to keep their PR clean, but even with this help, the reasons I just outlined still bring them down. Could you "keep it in your pants" if there were legions of the most exotically beautiful women perpetually available to you? Most stars spend lots of time away from home (they aren't exactly family people), and that feeling of superiority (pride) doesn't help matters. It doesn't matter how many stars he sees fall, because for every one that falls there are 100 that don't.

As far as him winning more championships than Tiger, well, there's something to be said for longevity. He doesn't have it, yet, so let's not assume he's going to get it. And Tiger isn't done just yet, even though he's going through some rough times. I also find it hard to believe that Tiger's stroke leaves much to be desired, with what he's accomplished already. But again, I know very little of golf.
kfc