Jump to topic:

Are you ready for some football ?

inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 4:39:10 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
There is no need to spew out a bunch of rhetoric here today. Football is almost here ! You know what time it is now everyone. Get your barbecue ready and
your corn on the cob too. Bring some beer and some lemonade for those who do
not do alcohol. Like me. And lets watch some football ! College or NFL.
It does not matter to me.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 4:58:52 PM
F*cking Packers are going to tear it up again this year. Who can compete with us? The Pats and Eagles might have a chance but the Pack is coming back even stronger than they were last year. Rodgers was working without his favorite target and still took the whole thing, and our running game should be much more pronounced. DYNASTY.
Rob
freedomsquared
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 5:06:55 PM
At 8/1/2011 4:58:52 PM, Lasagna wrote:
F*cking Packers are going to tear it up again this year. Who can compete with us? The Pats and Eagles might have a chance but the Pack is coming back even stronger than they were last year. Rodgers was working without his favorite target and still took the whole thing, and our running game should be much more pronounced. DYNASTY.

Yes!! GO PACK GO! GO PACK GO!
But it's Norway, sort of the Canada of Europe."
-innomen

http://www.debate.org...
-humorous debate with brian_eggleston

-tournament debate, need votes
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 5:26:46 PM
The Packs may get it, they may not. But the league is calling for the New York Jets to win it all. Be careful guys. They just might do it.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 5:31:24 PM
Packers won't even make it to the playoffs.

I'm betting on the Lions or the Bills to go all the way.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 5:41:57 PM
At 8/1/2011 5:31:24 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Lions and Bills. I think that is stretching it a little bit there dont ya think Ore ?
How about The Falcons or Patriots. I heard they are gonna do some damage this year. We shall see.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 7:54:42 PM
The top teams in the NFC are:

1) Packers
2) Eagles
3) Saints
4) Falcons

It's unlikely... HIGHLY unlikely that one of these teams isn't going to be in the SuperBowl. If I'm wrong, then bring this thread out in 6 months and put me in my place :)

It's possible the Bucs will do what the Pack did with their up-and-coming youngsters, but let's face it - the Pack has the stars, and they don't. Miami is a possible sleeper, but that's a long shot and I don't see anyone else in the NFC that has a snowball's chance in hell.

I don't follow the AFC close enough to comment on it but the Pats, Jets, and Steelers are likely the teams with the best chance.
Rob
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/1/2011 7:56:57 PM
At 8/1/2011 5:31:24 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

The lions will do better, but a superbowl run is not in their future. Next year, if they continue to stay on the rise and that QB stays healthy and productive, then maybe. The Bills don't have much at all going for them.
Rob
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 2:12:03 AM
At 8/1/2011 7:58:24 PM, Lasagna wrote:
Ore Ele your in OR it says... Seahawks fan? Or are you waiting for the 49ers to come around one of these decades?

Bills, they have brighter uniforms.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 8:51:52 AM
At 8/1/2011 7:54:42 PM, Lasagna wrote:

1) Packers
2) Eagles
3) Saints
4) Falcons

It's unlikely... HIGHLY unlikely that one of these teams isn't going to be in the SuperBowl. If I'm wrong, then bring this thread out in 6 months and put me in my place :)

Well it's hard to be wrong when you listed 1/4 of the teams from the division :P

Not to mention including the reigning champs, the team with the best record from last season, the second former reigning champs and the team with a star like Vick. I'm actually very curious to see what the Eagles do this season.

It's possible the Bucs will do what the Pack did with their up-and-coming youngsters, but let's face it - the Pack has the stars, and they don't. Miami is a possible sleeper, but that's a long shot and I don't see anyone else in the NFC that has a snowball's chance in hell.

Don't sleep on the Giants. If Miami is a possible sleeper than so are they. However Miami is not in the NFC anyway; they are in the AFC (in the Jets conference actually).

I don't follow the AFC close enough to comment on it but the Pats, Jets, and Steelers are likely the teams with the best chance.

As I was telling you the other day, people are surprised every season, and these are all just the safest bets. I'm surprised you didn't mention the Colts in there. In actuality, I haven't been keeping up with any teams in the off season, so I have no idea if a team like the Chargers or Ravens - both very good - have or will become excellent. I'll save my predictions until later in the season. Usually I have an idea after about 4 weeks, but that usually changes again after 6-8.

I'm also sad to say this, but I think the Jets are really overrated this season. Why is the league "calling for them to win it all?" I honestly think they're going to disappoint a lot of people. I sure hope I'm wrong about that, but we'll see.

Go New York!
President of DDO
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 9:01:31 AM
At 8/2/2011 8:51:52 AM, Danielle wrote:
At 8/1/2011 7:54:42 PM, Lasagna wrote:

1) Packers
2) Eagles
3) Saints
4) Falcons

Well it's hard to be wrong when you listed 1/4 of the teams from the division :P

"conference"

Not to mention including the reigning champs, the team with the best record from last season, the second former reigning champs and the team with a star like Vick. I'm actually very curious to see what the Eagles do this season.

They are going to trounce their division for the play-off spot, that's for sure. Giants might get a wildcard but you know the South is guaranteed a spot so there will only be one available. I don't see the second one coming out of the NFC worst, but the bears, lions, and bucs might be close. My money would be on the Giants for the #6 seed.

Don't sleep on the Giants. If Miami is a possible sleeper than so are they. However Miami is not in the NFC anyway; they are in the AFC (in the Jets conference actually).

Whoops.

As I was telling you the other day, people are surprised every season, and these are all just the safest bets. I'm surprised you didn't mention the Colts in there. In actuality, I haven't been keeping up with any teams in the off season, so I have no idea if a team like the Chargers or Ravens - both very good - have or will become excellent. I'll save my predictions until later in the season. Usually I have an idea after about 4 weeks, but that usually changes again after 6-8.

I'm also sad to say this, but I think the Jets are really overrated this season. Why is the league "calling for them to win it all?" I honestly think they're going to disappoint a lot of people. I sure hope I'm wrong about that, but we'll see.

Go New York!

Yeah I could more easily see the Jets falling off then picking it back up. The Ravens are due, the Pats are ever-dominant, and I think Miami and San Diego are gonna do well. I haven't been impressed with the Colts lately.
Rob
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 9:05:17 AM
The teams in the NFC East could easily make it to the Super Bowl.
I think the Atlanta Falcons or the Philadelphia Eagles will make an impact this year.
The Patriots and The Jets have a chance as always. The Steelers cannot be underestimated neither the Ravens. Evertbody else is just average.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 9:40:20 AM
At 8/2/2011 9:05:17 AM, inferno wrote:

The Giants are alright, but they've got issues (linemen). The Cowboys have lost as many games as they've won since the turn of the millenium, and I don't see any reason that they're going to turn it around soon, especially with the gaping hole in their secondary that is yet to be filled. The Redskins are still in a rebuilding phase and are probably going to take a dive for Andrew Luck in the draft.

I think the Atlanta Falcons or the Philadelphia Eagles will make an impact this year.

Along with the Packers, these would appear to be the top 3 prospects for the upcoming year. Of course, I heard the Bengals and Cowboys were going to be prospects going into last year so...

The Patriots and The Jets have a chance as always. The Steelers cannot be underestimated neither the Ravens. Evertbody else is just average.

The Patriots have as much chance to enter the Superbowl as all other teams in the AFC combined, I would think.
Rob
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 9:58:27 AM
At 8/2/2011 7:33:02 AM, Lasagna wrote:
I don't believe that you like the Bills. If you lived in Buffalo, I'd still have a hard time believing it.

No, I really do. I'm no fair weather fan.

When I was a kid and my dad use to watch the games (of anyone that was playing, he didn't have a favorite team, but he hated John Elway, not sure why), I'd root or the team that I thought had the coolest uniforms. And so I became a Bills fan and I'm not leaving them just because they're gonna have another bad decade.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 9:58:37 AM
At 8/2/2011 9:40:20 AM, Lasagna wrote:

The Giants are alright, but they've got issues (linemen). The Cowboys have lost as many games as they've won since the turn of the millenium, and I don't see any reason that they're going to turn it around soon, especially with the gaping hole in their secondary that is yet to be filled. The Redskins are still in a rebuilding phase and are probably going to take a dive for Andrew Luck in the draft.

Along with the Packers, these would appear to be the top 3 prospects for the upcoming year. Of course, I heard the Bengals and Cowboys were going to be prospects going into last year so...

The Patriots have as much chance to enter the Superbowl as all other teams in the AFC combined, I would think.

The Giansts like the Steelers is an ailing championship team. The Falcons, Packers, and Eagles, still have fresh younger players. This will work to their advantage at the end of the season and during the playoffs. The AFC have the Ravens which are a powerhouse, but they cannot close the deal during the postseason. The Cowboys an NFC wildcard favorite has dealt with the same issues for the past 10 years. I dont see them going anywhere anytime soon, unless they get rid of Romo.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 10:47:25 AM
At 8/2/2011 9:58:27 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
I don't believe that you like the Bills. If you lived in Buffalo, I'd still have a hard time believing it.

When I was a kid and my dad use to watch the games (of anyone that was playing, he didn't have a favorite team, but he hated John Elway, not sure why), I'd root or the team that I thought had the coolest uniforms. And so I became a Bills fan and I'm not leaving them just because they're gonna have another bad decade.

You're just old enough, assuming you were watching from a young age, to have remembered seeing them lose 4 straight superbowls. Were you rooting for them through the Jim Kelly/Thurman Thomas/Bruce Smith/Andre Rison era?

Fun Fact: The Bills' uniform will be changing this year. In the early '80s, they switched to red helmets because they had a color-blind QB. They've decided to go back to white helmets this year, which will probably be the most exciting thing to come out of that organization but hey, for OrE-Ell a uniform change might as well be a SuperBowl victory :D

I do respect that you're gonna stick with your team though. The Bills will inevitably float back to the top at some point and you'll be ecstatic when they do. In the meantime, however, it doesn't hurt to try and at least partially root for a different team that actually stands a chance.
Rob
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 10:52:09 AM
At 8/2/2011 9:58:37 AM, inferno wrote:

The Giansts like the Steelers is an ailing championship team. The Falcons, Packers, and Eagles, still have fresh younger players. This will work to their advantage at the end of the season and during the playoffs. The AFC have the Ravens which are a powerhouse, but they cannot close the deal during the postseason. The Cowboys an NFC wildcard favorite has dealt with the same issues for the past 10 years. I dont see them going anywhere anytime soon, unless they get rid of Romo.

Yes I agree Romo is a problem. He's like the spoiled rich-kid athlete who was always the best and doesn't have the humility to be a winner among the elites. Unfortunately for the Boys, he puts up startling numbers against weak teams so it's hard to justify making the switch when good QBs are so hard to find. If they have another loser year then perhaps they will take an early QB draftee but if they finish just behind a play-0ff berth then all the best QBs will be taken by then... They're in a hell of a spot and like you said they'll probably be struggling for years to come. Dez Bryant is just like Romo - talented, bad attitude, loser.
Rob
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 11:06:37 AM
At 8/2/2011 10:52:09 AM, Lasagna wrote:

Yes I agree Romo is a problem. He's like the spoiled rich-kid athlete who was always the best and doesn't have the humility to be a winner among the elites. Unfortunately for the Boys, he puts up startling numbers against weak teams so it's hard to justify making the switch when good QBs are so hard to find. If they have another loser year then perhaps they will take an early QB draftee but if they finish just behind a play-0ff berth then all the best QBs will be taken by then... They're in a hell of a spot and like you said they'll probably be struggling for years to come. Dez Bryant is just like Romo - talented, bad attitude, loser.

The Dallas Cowboys are in the same situation that the 49ers are in. They are in a dated franchise that is not as commercially savvy as it once was. Back in the days these two teams were the elite. But now the league has become much more competitive and diverse, so it is difficult for them to adapt to this new era of more
established and young talent. The Steelers and Packers actually have more championships than them both. And they are more popular now with the mainstream which in turn makes them more marketable as it stands right now.
So they have the advantage among other things. The Cowboys need a new coaching staff and sense of direction along with a new quarterback if they want
to succeed.
freedomsquared
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 12:42:38 PM
At 8/2/2011 11:06:37 AM, inferno wrote:
At 8/2/2011 10:52:09 AM, Lasagna wrote:

The Dallas Cowboys are in the same situation that the 49ers are in. They are in a dated franchise that is not as commercially savvy as it once was. Back in the days these two teams were the elite. But now the league has become much more competitive and diverse, so it is difficult for them to adapt to this new era of more
established and young talent. The Steelers and Packers actually have more championships than them both. And they are more popular now with the mainstream which in turn makes them more marketable as it stands right now.
So they have the advantage among other things. The Cowboys need a new coaching staff and sense of direction along with a new quarterback if they want
to succeed.

What the cowboys really need is a new owner.
But it's Norway, sort of the Canada of Europe."
-innomen

-humorous debate with brian_eggleston

-tournament debate, need votes
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 12:46:48 PM
At 8/2/2011 10:47:25 AM, Lasagna wrote:

You're just old enough, assuming you were watching from a young age, to have remembered seeing them lose 4 straight superbowls. Were you rooting for them through the Jim Kelly/Thurman Thomas/Bruce Smith/Andre Rison era?

Fun Fact: The Bills' uniform will be changing this year. In the early '80s, they switched to red helmets because they had a color-blind QB. They've decided to go back to white helmets this year, which will probably be the most exciting thing to come out of that organization but hey, for OrE-Ell a uniform change might as well be a SuperBowl victory :D

I do respect that you're gonna stick with your team though. The Bills will inevitably float back to the top at some point and you'll be ecstatic when they do. In the meantime, however, it doesn't hurt to try and at least partially root for a different team that actually stands a chance.

I do, I root for the underdogs in every game (also why I end up rooting for the bills every game).

Though, personally, I just love a good game, where it comes down to a 4 point difference, the losing team has the ball with 2:19 left on their own 19 yardline and needs to march down the field. In the end, I don't care too much who the actual winner is.

I remember the Superbowl of the Rams vs the Titans (don't remember the number) where they were stopped at the 1 yard line, just shy of the winning touchdown. That was a great game. I don't remember who won, but it was amazing.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 2:07:47 PM
established and young talent. The Steelers and Packers actually have more championships than them both.

That depends on how you define "championship." If you take the whole of football history into account, pre-SuperBowl era, then the Pack has more championships than (probably) all 32 other teams combined. But most people are only concerned with modern football championships, since the game is much more competitive and standardized since the 60s. In that case, GB=4, Dal=5, SF=5, Pit=6. GB is still the modern underdog, however, since half of their championships were obtained in the 60s.

And they are more popular now with the mainstream which in turn makes them more marketable as it stands right now.
to succeed.

Yeah Jones and Romo are the guys I love to hate. Unfortunately, they have both had successes (Jones built the 90s dynasty and Romo has some impressive stats) and there just isn't anyone that's going to step in and challenge either of them in the near future.
Rob
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 2:09:04 PM
At 8/2/2011 12:46:48 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I do, I root for the underdogs in every game (also why I end up rooting for the bills every game).

Though, personally, I just love a good game, where it comes down to a 4 point difference, the losing team has the ball with 2:19 left on their own 19 yardline and needs to march down the field. In the end, I don't care too much who the actual winner is.

I remember the Superbowl of the Rams vs the Titans (don't remember the number) where they were stopped at the 1 yard line, just shy of the winning touchdown. That was a great game. I don't remember who won, but it was amazing.

Well, considering the Titans have yet to win a SuperBowl...
Rob
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 2:18:57 PM
At 8/2/2011 2:07:47 PM, Lasagna wrote:
established and young talent. The Steelers and Packers actually have more championships than them both.

That depends on how you define "championship." If you take the whole of football history into account, pre-SuperBowl era, then the Pack has more championships than (probably) all 32 other teams combined. But most people are only concerned with modern football championships, since the game is much more competitive and standardized since the 60s. In that case, GB=4, Dal=5, SF=5, Pit=6. GB is still the modern underdog, however, since half of their championships were obtained in the 60s.

And they are more popular now with the mainstream which in turn makes them more marketable as it stands right now.
to succeed.

Yeah Jones and Romo are the guys I love to hate. Unfortunately, they have both had successes (Jones built the 90s dynasty and Romo has some impressive stats) and there just isn't anyone that's going to step in and challenge either of them in the near future.

Lasagna. Actually I was talking about the popularity of the Steelers and The Packers. Not the Cowboys and 49ers. They are big names, but right now the media is not hyping these guys like they did when E Smith and Mike Irvin was on the team. Dont forget about that quaterback with the cowboy hat, Troy Aikman.
Romo and Jones are not even close.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 2:43:34 PM
At 8/2/2011 2:16:10 PM, Danielle wrote:
I think the Titans have the snazziest uniforms actually.

I do like theirs. Though they didn't get the snazzy stuff until like 2000 or something.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 2:45:56 PM
At 8/2/2011 2:09:04 PM, Lasagna wrote:

Thats it, superbowl 34. That was a good game.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 3:34:25 PM
At 8/2/2011 2:16:10 PM, Danielle wrote:
I think the Titans have the snazziest uniforms actually.

The numerical font is attractive.
Rob
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/2/2011 3:39:06 PM
At 8/2/2011 2:45:56 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/2/2011 2:09:04 PM, Lasagna wrote:

Thats it, superbowl 34. That was a good game.

Cool wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org...

Unfortunately I didn't start watching football until about the time I started logging into DDO ('07). I think it had something to do with a new group of friends I met that were hardcore sports-watchers, and it finally rubbed off on me.
Rob