Jump to topic:

Beginner's Fantasy Football League

Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2011 7:20:00 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Would anybody be interested in setting up a DDO fantasy football league? The leagues can be as small as 4 people, but 6-8 would be nice.

1. Lasagna
Rob
freedomsquared
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2011 7:20:57 PM
1. Lasagna
2. Freedomsquared

It's ok that I'm in other leagues right? This doesn't have to be an exclusive one. Also, are we doing this on yahoo, espn, cbs, fox...?
But it's Norway, sort of the Canada of Europe."
-innomen

http://www.debate.org...
-humorous debate with brian_eggleston

-tournament debate, need votes
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2011 7:22:16 PM
1. Lasagna
2. freedomsquared
3. Danielle

Also how do I edit the team name for the league we're in together? Haha it made a default name.
President of DDO
freedomsquared
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2011 7:42:59 PM
At 8/29/2011 7:22:16 PM, Danielle wrote:
1. Lasagna
2. freedomsquared
3. Danielle

Also how do I edit the team name for the league we're in together? Haha it made a default name.

Depends what site we're using.
-innomen

Man-is-good
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2011 8:05:55 PM
I am a bit confused...where will the league be playing? Will this be like a game that is organized into phrases or at least tournaments (with other sites)?
"Homo sum, humani nihil a me alienum puto." --Terence

"I believe that the mind can be permanently profaned by the habit of attending to trivial things, so that all our thoughts shall be tinged with triviality."--Thoreau
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2011 9:48:15 PM
Danielle, from the looks of it you have answered your own question.

It's ok that I'm in other leagues right? This doesn't have to be an exclusive one. Also, are we doing this on yahoo, espn, cbs, fox...?

Some people are in many leagues; there is no conflict of interests.

I am a bit confused...where will the league be playing? Will this be like a game that is organized into phrases or at least tournaments (with other sites)?

espn.com - I will set it up and start sending emails to you to activate your account. Everyone who signs up should PM me their email address to get started (save Danielle).

There are no "other sites." For all intents and purposes, we will be 6-8 different football teams that play the players we draft each week (one draft at the beginning of the season, with weekly games). For example, in week 1, team 1 will play team 2, team 3 will play team 4, and team 5 will play team 6. In week 2, team 1 will play team 3, and it will keep changing until the regular season is over. At that point the post-season will begin, and then week 17 will be the Super Bowl. Note that fantasy playoffs and SB occur during real football's regular season (16 games and a bye week for each team), since not all real teams play in the post-season and we obviously need all teams for our purposes. Regular season records will determine post-season match-ups.

For those of you who are completely lost, here's a quick breakdown of methods and strategy. First off, I will send you an email, you'll click on the link and that will lead you to setting up your username, PW, and team name. Next order of business will be drafting. I will set a date and time for the draft - whatever's most convenient for everybody. If you're present during the draft you will pick your own players; if not, it will autopick your players.

You need not be a football expert to know who's the best; players are given values based on a point scale so you can just pick from the top of the list, unless you have other gut instincts or personal preferences. Trading and drafting of free agents afterwards is fair game at any time during the season, although you don't have to be speedy about it as it gives each player a grace period to get their drafts in each week (otherwise somebody would always be racing towards drafting whoever is best only minutes after the week ends). Whoever has the best current record will always be last in line to draft players.

The only maintenance you truly need on your roster, on a weekly basis, is keeping up on who's injured and replacing them as needed. You will have a bench (6 players I believe) who you can swap out with as often as you'd like. If you want to take it a step further, you can look at what teams your players are facing and take out players that are facing good teams (Tom Brady might be a stud but if the Pats play the Jets one week, and I have Eli Manning on my roster and he is facing the Bengals, well that might be worth the switch).

You don't necessarily have to memorize what teams are good, either. There are several resources, right on your roster page, which will educate you on what the best choices each week are. First and easiest is the "projected points next week" field which is listed in the row of the player's name. The experts figure out how they think each player will do and you can simply swap in who's expected to do the best. Even more in depth, you can look at how each team sizes up against each position. Using the previous example, I might look at how the Jets usually fair against opposing QBs. Opposing QBs might average low against the Jets (they are known for a stout defense), so I'll take out Brady for Manning, seeing that opposing QBs usually squash the Bengals. There are listings for each position right off your roster page (opposing QBs, opposing RBs, etc. for each team).

More advanced players will take even more into account, but on the same note you could not even touch your roster (and let it auto-pick for you) and win the SuperBowl (although if your starters get injured and you never swap them out that would become more unlikely).

Any questions?
Rob
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2011 10:04:29 PM
I have a choice to make with the draft. I can, like I just said, pick a day for us to get'er done (we'd just vote on a day) and have it autopick for those who don't show (I was auto-picked last year and won the Super Bowl so it isn't necessarily that bad), or we can make it a bit more interesting and manually draft. Basically, we would just post who we want and I would record it and set up the teams the way we pick. The concern is that it would be about 100 posts to complete the draft - 6 people x 16 players. So I would need a commitment from you guys to stick to it and get your players picked and keep posting over the next few days to get it done. It shouldn't be lengthy or complicated, just pick a guy from near the top of the list (point-wise) and then wait for the next person in line to pick. It could be completed in 20 minutes if we were all ready, or it could take until the end of the week if we were not so organized about it. But if somebody really starts failing to post, they could really slow us down... I'm inclined to give the manual way a try since DDOers are pretty good at getting on here, and we'd have some time to make an emergency draft date on sunday, perhaps, if we could see that it wasn't going fast enough.

Note: it would be snake style, so you need not worry about the fairness of the order. Ex: 123456654321123456654321
Rob
Mestari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2011 7:28:15 PM
I love fantasy football, I'm in.

1. Lasagna
2. freedomsquared
3. Danielle
4. Mestari

However, in my experience with various leagues I have found that an 8 point per reception TD and 1 point per reception modification to the standard espn scoring works wonders. It really brings WRs in line with RBs. While many people would argue against this due to the exclusiveness of RBs, it appears that luck comes into play more often than not with standard scoring due to the high injury risk of RBs who receive heavy work-loads. This adjustment adds more safety, reliability, and consistency to your team. But I presume this would have to be voted on, and if chosen again then I would still join the league.
Rules of Mafia

1. Mestari is never third party.
2. If Mestari claims an intricate and page long TP role, he's telling the truth.
3. Mestari always jointly wins with the town.
3b. If he doesn't he's mafia.
3c. If he was mafia you wouldn't suspect him in the first place.
4. If you lynch Mestari you will lose because he will be the third party Doctor or some other townie power role.
5. DP1 lynches are good.
6. The answer is always no.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2011 7:38:14 PM
I'm okay with Rob's suggestion. I'd rather pick my peeps than auto-draft but it's up to you. I also don't have an opinion on Mestari's suggestion because I've never done FF before, so I'm not too sure of the pros and cons. Whatever ya'll decide is fine, though his suggestion seemingly makes sense from the quick glance I gave it.
President of DDO
Mestari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2011 7:44:16 PM
At 8/30/2011 7:38:14 PM, Danielle wrote:
I'm okay with Rob's suggestion. I'd rather pick my peeps than auto-draft but it's up to you. I also don't have an opinion on Mestari's suggestion because I've never done FF before, so I'm not too sure of the pros and cons. Whatever ya'll decide is fine, though his suggestion seemingly makes sense from the quick glance I gave it.

As for the people who have never done FF before, ESPN adjusts predicted scoring based on your league's settings, so you still have their 'expert' analysis.
Rules of Mafia

2. If Mestari claims an intricate and page long TP role, he's telling the truth.
4. If you lynch Mestari you will lose because he will be the third party Doctor or some other townie power role.
5. DP1 lynches are good.
freedomsquared
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2011 8:18:50 PM
At 8/30/2011 7:44:16 PM, Mestari wrote:

As for the people who have never done FF before, ESPN adjusts predicted scoring based on your league's settings, so you still have their 'expert' analysis.

I like Mestari's suggestion, if not just to try something different. I would definitely like to make WR's a more important part of the draft. However, I like the 8 pts for TDs more than the reception points just because a straight up PPR league would also affect RB value too much for my liking. However, this should be up to a vote.
-innomen

Mestari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 4:18:20 PM
At 8/30/2011 8:18:50 PM, freedomsquared wrote:

I like Mestari's suggestion, if not just to try something different. I would definitely like to make WR's a more important part of the draft. However, I like the 8 pts for TDs more than the reception points just because a straight up PPR league would also affect RB value too much for my liking. However, this should be up to a vote.

As clarification, are you suggesting 8 pts for all TDs or only 8 points for reception TDs?
Rules of Mafia

5. DP1 lynches are good.
freedomsquared
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 4:29:07 PM
At 8/31/2011 4:18:20 PM, Mestari wrote:
At 8/30/2011 8:18:50 PM, freedomsquared wrote:

As clarification, are you suggesting 8 pts for all TDs or only 8 points for reception TDs?

Only reception ones. I just don't want normal receptions to get points just for being receptions.
-innomen

Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/31/2011 6:36:32 PM
I just don't want normal receptions to get points just for being receptions.

This statement seems logically problematic. Why wouldn't normal receptions get points for just being receptionS?
Rob
Mestari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2011 1:11:40 PM
At 8/31/2011 6:36:32 PM, Lasagna wrote:
I just don't want normal receptions to get points just for being receptions.

This statement seems logically problematic. Why wouldn't normal receptions get points for just being receptionS?

What he's saying is that he doesn't want points for catching the ball. While many people believe Points Per Reception (PPR) balances the positions, it also causes a dynamic shift in the value of each player. For example, Wes Welker usually moves up a tier because of the amount of balls he catches. If people don't want the league to be PPR, I'm okay with that, it's more of a personal preference on what manner you choose to use in order to balance scoring.
Rules of Mafia

5. DP1 lynches are good.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2011 1:49:44 PM
==Scoring==

Passing
Every 25 passing yards (PY25) = 1
TD Pass (PTD) = 4
Interceptions Thrown (INT) = -2
2pt Passing Conversion (2PC) = 2

Rushing
Every 10 rushing yards (RY10) = 1
TD Rush (RTD) = 6
2pt Rushing Conversion (2PR) = 2

Receiving
Every 10 receiving yards (REY10) = 1
TD Reception (RETD) = 6
2pt Receiving Conversion (2PRE) = 2

This is how the ESPN site scores it and there are no points for just catching a pass. It does appear to favor the running back a bit, particularly in a run-heavy offense. I could up the recieving TD value to 8 points like he said and perhaps that would make the diff...
Rob
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2011 1:51:27 PM
League update:
- Mestari I need your email
- Mestari makes our fourth player... 4 is pretty tiny but doable, should we just proceed like this? I did a four-man league last year and we were STACKED with talent LOL... it still works if we just play reg season right up to the end and the two best records play in the Super Bowl.
Rob
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2011 8:26:25 AM
At 9/2/2011 12:52:01 AM, Loserboi wrote:
I'll join but i really prefer yahoo

I've already got it started on ESPN... what's your email addy?
Rob
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2011 4:22:43 PM
At 9/2/2011 8:26:25 AM, Lasagna wrote:

you gotta accept messages
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2011 7:24:04 PM
At 9/2/2011 4:22:43 PM, Loserboi wrote:
At 9/2/2011 8:26:25 AM, Lasagna wrote:

you gotta accept messages

I tried sending you a message, but it says you don't accept them. It must default to that before you change it now?
Rob
freedomsquared
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 12:45:05 PM
Plan for draft time? Preferably before this Thursday (first game of season). I also cannot do Tuesday or Wednesday...so I would have to do Sunday, Monday, or autodraft.
-innomen

Mestari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/3/2011 5:53:19 PM
Sunday - Anytime
Monday - After 4:30pm EST
Tuesday - After 5:30pm EST
Wednesday - After 4:30pm EST
Thursday - After 5:30pm EST

Sunday/Monday would be optimal.

Can we get a chatroll on the league homepage?
Rules of Mafia

5. DP1 lynches are good.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 9:02:41 AM
OK I'll schedule it for monday night at 9pm EST, 8 central. I'll pull in one more player to even it out at 6 so we don't have constant byes.
Rob
Mestari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 3:12:50 PM
Sounds good. I'll see you all at the draft.
Rules of Mafia

5. DP1 lynches are good.
freedomsquared
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/4/2011 3:27:28 PM
At 9/4/2011 9:02:41 AM, Lasagna wrote:
OK I'll schedule it for monday night at 9pm EST, 8 central. I'll pull in one more player to even it out at 6 so we don't have constant byes.

Gotcha
-innomen

Mestari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 7:02:48 PM
Was the draft cancelled?
Rules of Mafia

5. DP1 lynches are good.
freedomsquared
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2011 7:35:56 PM
At 9/5/2011 7:02:48 PM, Mestari wrote:
Was the draft cancelled?

It appears so...