Total Posts:39|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

NFL or NCAA Football ?

inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 9:00:54 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I admit that there is something special about watching the NFL on Sundays.
It is the stage, the spotlight, the celebrities, the hits, and the boards that do the trick.
But college football is unique. You have young Men playing for honor and glory and not specifically for the money or the fame. You have tradition, state bragging rights, and territory wars that never seem to end. It has the worlds greatest fans and they are the most loyal. And by the way, they do have bigger stadiums too.
Small towns become large football meccas during the AUTUMN days. And the party atmosphere brings in people from all over the world. I love college football as it is always a nail biter and a cliff hanger indeed ! And from what I have seen so far this
year, it is anything but disappointing. What do you think ?
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 11:06:35 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I like both, but college is much better imo.

For one, its faster paced. More teams are running the no-huddle every year. And speed plays a much bigger part of the college game than it does in the NFL.

Also, there's more variety in offenses. There's the West Coast, the Spread, Air Raid, Spread Option, Pistol, Run n' Shoot, even the ol' Triple Option. Whereas most NFL teams run the same offense and plays.

The rivalries are also more intense. Partly because they're playing for recognition rather than money, but moreso because college teams represent the State. When Texas and Oklahoma line up, or Ohio State and Michigan take the field, its just as much a war between states as it is football teams. Kind of like the US - Soviet hockey games during the Cold War.

The atmosphere and energy in general seems to be bigger. There are a few college stadiums like Autzen Field or the Swamp which are specifically known for deafening noise.
Lasagna
Posts: 2,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 11:54:31 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
I've never gotten into college ball... I just don't recognize any of the teams because I guess I haven't been a sports fan long enough and it seems like there are hundreds of them. It also seems like the NFL provides more of a mystery as to who's going to win, because (most) all of the 32 teams are the best of the best. In the last 13 years, 10 different teams have won the SuperBowl (Broncos, Patriots, Packers, Ravens, Steelers, Saints, Colts, Buccaneers, Rams, Giants) with only the Steelers and Pats repeating (and soon to be the Packers). I tried determing who's won whatever you call the NCAA version of the SuperBowl, but it appears they don't even have one. Lame!
Rob
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/19/2011 12:52:56 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/19/2011 11:54:31 AM, Lasagna wrote:
I've never gotten into college ball... I just don't recognize any of the teams because I guess I haven't been a sports fan long enough and it seems like there are hundreds of them. It also seems like the NFL provides more of a mystery as to who's going to win, because (most) all of the 32 teams are the best of the best. In the last 13 years, 10 different teams have won the SuperBowl (Broncos, Patriots, Packers, Ravens, Steelers, Saints, Colts, Buccaneers, Rams, Giants) with only the Steelers and Pats repeating (and soon to be the Packers). I tried determing who's won whatever you call the NCAA version of the SuperBowl, but it appears they don't even have one. Lame!

They do have the BCS National Championship (though its extremely controversial). In the last ten years there have been 9 different winners.
Loserboi
Posts: 1,232
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 1:57:47 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/19/2011 5:20:42 PM, inferno wrote:
College Football is more exciting and unpredictable.

didnt USC have a reign of like 3 straight titles before? and Florida won 3 titles too? which was not too long ago right?

NFL is pretty unpredictable.

College does run up the scores though
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 9:41:38 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/19/2011 9:31:05 PM, Lasagna wrote:
So there is a SuperBowl for the NCAA?

Yes and no. They don't have a playoff to determine who gets into the college "superbowl" merely the two best teams at the end of the season go at it. This is why in college football, you see a lot of running up the scores. Since it is not enough to win, you have to win big to get the #1 or #2 ranking. Since winning 21 - 17 does not imply the same level of skill as winning 45 - 10 (or 63 - 3 for that matter), and so does not merit as high of a position on the BCS standings.

Also the teams you play make a difference. You beat a highly rated team, vs beating some minor college that never ranks (like youngstown or portland state), you get a better boost to your ranks.

This is one reason that people don't like it. Some confrences are really competetive (like the SEC) where many of the teams are in the top 25, so you always have good opponents to show your worth. While other teams (Boise State) are in low level confrences, but they go 12 - 0 almost every year, but never get to the BCS because they don't play against any tough opponents (they might play 1 or 2 tough, out of confrence opponents a year, sometimes).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Lasagna
Posts: 2,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 10:10:10 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Yeah it sounds like it is disorganized. What you guys are saying doesn't stimulate me to want to watch it. I put a lot of emotion into the fairness and the structure, as a policy major, and that rag-tag setup wood annoy me to no end.
Rob
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 10:41:59 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
College Football is diverse. You have so many divisions and conferences.
It makes for good television when you see a small school play another one
in a shootout. They do put a lot of points on the board. But when you are watching an NFL game in a dome or roofed stadium, they do the same.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 11:16:19 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/20/2011 10:10:10 AM, Lasagna wrote:
Yeah it sounds like it is disorganized. What you guys are saying doesn't stimulate me to want to watch it. I put a lot of emotion into the fairness and the structure, as a policy major, and that rag-tag setup wood annoy me to no end.

There is a move to try to get it to go to a playoff system, where something like the top 16 or 32 teams playoff. Right now they do bowl games (with the BCS Bowl being the title).

I really like the bowl games, since pretty much every team with 6 wins gets to participate (about 50% win margin) in a bowl of some kind. And it allows for rivalries between confrences. Like the Rose Bowl is always the best Pac-10 (now Pac-12, probably gonna be more) vs the best Big 10 (unless one of those teams is in the BCS championship game, they are not allowed both).

However, the good thing about the playoffs, is while Boise State cannot get to #1 or #2 because of the low quality teams they play agianst, they always can get to #16, so they will always have a shot to make the Championship (though they have shown that when they do face high ranked teams, they are often not up to the challenge).

This would also remove the end of season losses from being a major factor.

If you are ranked #1 or #2 and you lose, obviously, your ranking next week is going to be lower (based on who you lost to and how badly you lost). However, if you lose early in the season, you have time to recover and get back into the #1 or #2 spot. However, if you lose at the end of the season, you have no time to regain lost ground.

This would minimize that effect (though it would still apply to those around the cut off mark, be it #16 or #32).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 1:16:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
College Football puts up points and this brings ratings for tv.
Yes, I believe that when an NFL team plays in a dome, it is easier for them to score.
The no wind factor is the main reason. Not to mention the temp or sunlight.
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 2:20:53 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/20/2011 10:44:24 AM, Lasagna wrote:
So... the dome makes teams score more points because there's less wind?

And we can talk about all of the fixed games in the NFL too. Total bummer.
Lasagna
Posts: 2,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 2:29:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Fixed games wut?

I think the NFL system is far superior just because it seems simpler and more organized, but there are still problems with it. I'd like to see a snake draft for one instead of the loser-takes all system. Penalizing teams for winning and rewarding teams for losing is problematic to me. I especially don't like how the absolute most important regular season games (end of season to make playoffs) are usually played by at least one team that either a) has nothing to play for (except fighting for a lower draft spot???) or b) is sitting starters after clinching. At least a snake draft would still give the top picks to the losers but wouldn't screw over those who played well. I do like the salary cap though.
Rob
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 3:15:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/20/2011 2:29:18 PM, Lasagna wrote:
Fixed games wut?

I think the NFL system is far superior just because it seems simpler and more organized, but there are still problems with it. I'd like to see a snake draft for one instead of the loser-takes all system. Penalizing teams for winning and rewarding teams for losing is problematic to me. I especially don't like how the absolute most important regular season games (end of season to make playoffs) are usually played by at least one team that either a) has nothing to play for (except fighting for a lower draft spot???) or b) is sitting starters after clinching. At least a snake draft would still give the top picks to the losers but wouldn't screw over those who played well. I do like the salary cap though.

I love the NFL, TOO. But college football is more enchanting. I love their stadiums and the crowds are the best. Try 115,000 at Michigan Wolverine Stadium vs Notre Dame. The game came down to the wire. It is incredible to say the least.
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 5:22:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/20/2011 11:16:19 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

However, the good thing about the playoffs, is while Boise State cannot get to #1 or #2 because of the low quality teams they play agianst, they always can get to #16, so they will always have a shot to make the Championship (though they have shown that when they do face high ranked teams, they are often not up to the challenge).

Examples please? I can't think of any ranked teams they've lost to in the last 3 years other than Nevada.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/20/2011 6:09:28 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/20/2011 5:22:09 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 9/20/2011 11:16:19 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:

However, the good thing about the playoffs, is while Boise State cannot get to #1 or #2 because of the low quality teams they play agianst, they always can get to #16, so they will always have a shot to make the Championship (though they have shown that when they do face high ranked teams, they are often not up to the challenge).

Examples please? I can't think of any ranked teams they've lost to in the last 3 years other than Nevada.

In their last 6 bowl games (going back to 2005) they are 3-3.

They had last year's loss to Nevada (as you mentioned), where Boise was ranked #4 and Nevada was #19.

In the 2010 year - They played against 4 ranked teams and went 3 - 1
2009 - Played 2 ranked teams, went 2-0
2008 - Played 2 ranked teams, went 1-1
2007 - Played 1 ranked team, went 0-1
2006 - Played 1 ranked team, went 1-0

So over the last 5 years, they are 7-3 against ranked teams. Against non-ranked teams, they are something like 48-2. However, interesting note, is that all 5 of the loses come when they are on someone elses field. Part of the blue uniforms blending into the blue turf, lol.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Lasagna
Posts: 2,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2011 8:53:20 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Jim Rome was going off on the blue uniforms/turf thing; even though I don't follow NCAA it was hilarious. He was saying that the defenders were invisible and they couldn't tell how many men were on the field because they were camaflouged.
Rob
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2011 11:10:24 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/21/2011 8:53:20 AM, Lasagna wrote:
Jim Rome was going off on the blue uniforms/turf thing; even though I don't follow NCAA it was hilarious. He was saying that the defenders were invisible and they couldn't tell how many men were on the field because they were camaflouged.

That's basically it. Over the last 5 years, all their loses (including all their loses to ranked teams) have all been away, none at home. Obviously there is some advantage there. Their stadium only holds 33,500 (was 32,000 until 2009 when it was expanded), compared to, say, Alabama's Bryant-Denny stadium which holds over 100,000 people (and it is only 5th largest in college football). And since Bronco's standium is very open (seating does not wrap all the way around), it is not too noicy, so the typical "home field advantage" of having a mass of roaring fans is not that significant.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2011 12:53:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Both have pros and cons, but I much prefer the NFL.

One thing I like about the NFL is that you get a feel for the players; I like the consistency. In college football, I might know all the players on one team 1 year and then none the next. That makes it harder to root for particular teams. Especially at the beginning of the season, I'm not a football scout so I dunno what to expect, who can do what, etc. It isn't until at least half-way trough the season that I start to like particular teams, and even then, what is it based on? How many games they've won thus far?

I will say this though: the NFL players tend to be better, but college games tend to be more riveting. If you lose 1 or 2 games during the regular season in the NFL, it's not a big deal. However 1 loss in college could eliminate your chances at getting to the championship game. That means college players (in the big schools) tend to play like everything is on the line in every single game which makes them really exciting to watch. However I do like the NFL playoffs and think that system is superior to the college ranking system.

Another thing is that actual game play on both levels is quite different. College is much more defense-friendly. The NFL has a lot of rules to protect players, especially QBs (and I think they go too far with it). It's interesting how a lot of mediocre college QBs can be some of the best in the NFL and vice versa. I also hate how in the NFL, overtime winners are essentially determined by a coin toss. Whoever wins the coin toss usually gets the ball and wins (I forgot the exact statistic, but it's a lot). In college both teams get the ball. College players are a lot more passionate, but the NFL has star power. Overall the NFL definitely gets my vote as a personal favorite, but I can see why a lot of people I know prefer college.
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2011 2:03:24 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/21/2011 12:53:16 PM, Danielle wrote:
Both have pros and cons, but I much prefer the NFL.

One thing I like about the NFL is that you get a feel for the players; I like the consistency. In college football, I might know all the players on one team 1 year and then none the next. That makes it harder to root for particular teams. Especially at the beginning of the season, I'm not a football scout so I dunno what to expect, who can do what, etc. It isn't until at least half-way trough the season that I start to like particular teams, and even then, what is it based on? How many games they've won thus far?

This is very true. No better example than Auburn. Last year, they were the BCS champs, going 14-0 (in a very difficult division) and ranked #1, winning it all. This year, they started not even in the top 25 (because so many of their many players either graduated or headed to the draft early). They worked their way up to #21 (I think), then lost to an unranked team and are back to unranked.


I will say this though: the NFL players tend to be better, but college games tend to be more riveting. If you lose 1 or 2 games during the regular season in the NFL, it's not a big deal. However 1 loss in college could eliminate your chances at getting to the championship game. That means college players (in the big schools) tend to play like everything is on the line in every single game which makes them really exciting to watch. However I do like the NFL playoffs and think that system is superior to the college ranking system.

Another factor that adds to this is that in college, you only get 4 years, so for many of the starters, this is their last season (or second to last). They can't simply say "well, we'll try again next year." And also, many are "auditioning" for the NFL, so every play on every game matters.


Another thing is that actual game play on both levels is quite different. College is much more defense-friendly. The NFL has a lot of rules to protect players, especially QBs (and I think they go too far with it). It's interesting how a lot of mediocre college QBs can be some of the best in the NFL and vice versa. I also hate how in the NFL, overtime winners are essentially determined by a coin toss. Whoever wins the coin toss usually gets the ball and wins (I forgot the exact statistic, but it's a lot). In college both teams get the ball. College players are a lot more passionate, but the NFL has star power. Overall the NFL definitely gets my vote as a personal favorite, but I can see why a lot of people I know prefer college.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Lasagna
Posts: 2,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/21/2011 9:14:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
OT decided by coin-toss

I've been adamantly opposed to this, but a lot of people think it is awesome. If the Packers lose an OT toss I'd be flipping-mad though!
Rob
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 1:24:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 9/21/2011 2:03:24 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 9/21/2011 12:53:16 PM, Danielle wrote:
Both have pros and cons, but I much prefer the NFL.

One thing I like about the NFL is that you get a feel for the players; I like the consistency. In college football, I might know all the players on one team 1 year and then none the next. That makes it harder to root for particular teams. Especially at the beginning of the season, I'm not a football scout so I dunno what to expect, who can do what, etc. It isn't until at least half-way trough the season that I start to like particular teams, and even then, what is it based on? How many games they've won thus far?

This is very true. No better example than Auburn. Last year, they were the BCS champs, going 14-0 (in a very difficult division) and ranked #1, winning it all. This year, they started not even in the top 25 (because so many of their many players either graduated or headed to the draft early). They worked their way up to #21 (I think), then lost to an unranked team and are back to unranked.


I will say this though: the NFL players tend to be better, but college games tend to be more riveting. If you lose 1 or 2 games during the regular season in the NFL, it's not a big deal. However 1 loss in college could eliminate your chances at getting to the championship game. That means college players (in the big schools) tend to play like everything is on the line in every single game which makes them really exciting to watch. However I do like the NFL playoffs and think that system is superior to the college ranking system.

Another factor that adds to this is that in college, you only get 4 years, so for many of the starters, this is their last season (or second to last). They can't simply say "well, we'll try again next year." And also, many are "auditioning" for the NFL, so every play on every game matters.


Another thing is that actual game play on both levels is quite different. College is much more defense-friendly. The NFL has a lot of rules to protect players, especially QBs (and I think they go too far with it). It's interesting how a lot of mediocre college QBs can be some of the best in the NFL and vice versa. I also hate how in the NFL, overtime winners are essentially determined by a coin toss. Whoever wins the coin toss usually gets the ball and wins (I forgot the exact statistic, but it's a lot). In college both teams get the ball. College players are a lot more passionate, but the NFL has star power. Overall the NFL definitely gets my vote as a personal favorite, but I can see why a lot of people I know prefer college.

We all known that there is no other Conference alive that can handle the SEC.
You can bring on the Boise States, The Utah's, The Oregons. Well we saw what
happened with that one, didnt we.
Lasagna
Posts: 2,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/22/2011 2:41:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Did they look like a SB team last year? It wasn't until they entered the NFC Championship game that anyone really expected them to do anything. To diss them based on an undefeated record is a bit nonsensical.
Rob