Jump to topic:

Boxing/mma advice

Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2011 6:09:09 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Hey guys, i don't know if any of you do boxing or mma but i was wondering how do you know if your a hard hitter? I do drills with people in my boxing gym and they say I don't hit hard, but when I hit the bags it moves. The bags are on the ground not hung up. When I hit the mitts they make a really loud noise.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2011 6:13:44 PM
You fight someone. You see their reaction when you hit their chin.

The end.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2011 6:23:27 PM
At 10/4/2011 6:13:44 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

The end.

we do light sparring so we cant really hit each other will 100% of our power
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 12:37:41 AM
At 10/4/2011 6:23:27 PM, Loserboi wrote:
At 10/4/2011 6:13:44 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

The end.

we do light sparring so we cant really hit each other will 100% of our power

Therefore you won't know what your functional punching power is. That's not completely the end of the world, if it's too low you'll need more punches is all.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 2:51:57 PM
Find a Pro.

Also, boxing uses a different stance than Muay Thai. A lot of its mechanics and not just using your arms when you punch. What part isn't strong - hooks, jabs? Of course if you're going like 50% it won't be strong. You don't want to hit so strong that you lose balance.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 3:28:48 PM
At 10/4/2011 6:09:09 PM, Loserboi wrote:
Hey guys, i don't know if any of you do boxing or mma but i was wondering how do you know if your a hard hitter? I do drills with people in my boxing gym and they say I don't hit hard, but when I hit the bags it moves. The bags are on the ground not hung up. When I hit the mitts they make a really loud noise.

Next time someone says you don't punch very hard, kick them in the balls and say "I don't have to punch hard, bitch!"
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 3:42:17 PM
@OMGJustinBeiber

You seem to know a lot about Mixed Martial Arts. What is your background?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 3:47:55 PM
At 10/6/2011 2:51:57 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
Find a Pro.

Also, boxing uses a different stance than Muay Thai. A lot of its mechanics and not just using your arms when you punch. What part isn't strong - hooks, jabs? Of course if you're going like 50% it won't be strong. You don't want to hit so strong that you lose balance.

Its a different stances but the way you generate power is still the same when using your toes, and your hips. I understand they both take a different stance since I do both with muay thai having to square up and boxing to be more positioned sideways in the orthodox stance. The part that doesn't seem strong would probably be my crosses.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 3:55:37 PM
At 10/6/2011 3:42:17 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
@OMGJustinBeiber

I only have a lick of experience. Some HS wrestling, afterwards transitioned to BJJ (gi) where I'm a white belt w/ 2 stripes (it takes hundreds of hours on the mat to become a blue belt, it's not karate.) After that I frequented an MMA gym last year, and I'm starting again after in a few weeks. There I trained mainly stand up and the occasional no-gi BJJ class. Fell in love with stand up (they taught muay thai) but I really only got the bare bones of muay thai there.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 4:02:27 PM
At 10/6/2011 3:55:37 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
@OMGJustinBeiber

I only have a lick of experience. Some HS wrestling, afterwards transitioned to BJJ (gi) where I'm a white belt w/ 2 stripes (it takes hundreds of hours on the mat to become a blue belt, it's not karate.) After that I frequented an MMA gym last year, and I'm starting again after in a few weeks. There I trained mainly stand up and the occasional no-gi BJJ class. Fell in love with stand up (they taught muay thai) but I really only got the bare bones of muay thai there.

What's your personal reason for MMA training?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2011 4:07:50 PM
At 10/6/2011 4:02:27 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
@OMGJustinBeiber

Fun and it's great cardio. It's also a stress reliever and getting that combo in can be really rewarding. There's some chance I'll do an amateur fight some time, but that's secondary.
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/7/2011 4:45:44 PM
At 10/6/2011 4:07:50 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
At 10/6/2011 4:02:27 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
@OMGJustinBeiber

Fun and it's great cardio. It's also a stress reliever and getting that combo in can be really rewarding. There's some chance I'll do an amateur fight some time, but that's secondary.

It's also a lot better than trying to get ripped at an actual gym, where when you get lazy you will eventually lose all that you have worked for. Training and learning MMA you might get lazy but you will still have knowledge of the technique wherever you go.
medic0506
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2011 9:27:02 PM
At 10/4/2011 6:09:09 PM, Loserboi wrote:

Unless you're going full-contact with these people, don't worry about them saying you don't hit hard. Odds are that you guys are going about 50-75% of full strength during drills. If you are going full-contact, and they say you don't hit hard, get with a coach and have him assess your mechanics. There may be some wasted motions, throwing off the back foot, bad angling, or other mechanical problems that are hindering your power punches.