Jump to topic:

is marching band is a sport?

18freckles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2009 4:14:49 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I totally think it is. Compared to many other sports its more physical, enduring, painful, and takes alot of dedication. I mean they start in the summer from 7am-2pm just to get the basics and start learning the show in the scourching hott or cold weather. then when it comes to football games they practice on a muddy field therefore getting way more dirtier than the actual football players. ya sports are meaning that you have to compete (some say) and ya marching bands to compete against others too... When it all comes down members in a marching band put alot of breath time and endurance just for a fall sport! I'd say it is a sport
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2009 6:40:17 PM
I totally agree.

Most people don't seem to realize that blowing one's lungs out while simultaneously fast-marching across a field to form formations is a very tiring task. I'd even argue further that marching band is also art.
Television Rot: http://tvrot.com...
18freckles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2009 6:59:56 PM
I totally agree on you on how its art too. Cuz your making beautiful, or fun/funky formations while playing beautiful, fun/funky music. seriously i mean some people say that saying marching band is a sport than you might as well call cheerleading a sport... but ya thanks for the agreeing and btw trumpets rock!!!!!
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2009 7:09:15 PM
At 5/5/2009 6:59:56 PM, 18freckles wrote:
but ya thanks for the agreeing and btw trumpets rock!!!!!

Well, duh.

What do you play? What's your field show next year? We are doing Music from The Incredibles.
18freckles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2009 12:42:25 PM
o hun... most band people play a different sport... infact i play three different sports

I play trumpet
out feild show is seasons summer, fall, winter, spring... its not my favorite but ill manage
SportsGuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/6/2009 8:31:57 PM
I fourth that marching band is a sport.

While I do not blow my lungs out (I was bass 3 this year and will probably be bass 4 next year), it is certainly hard work.

And if one wants to get technical, from Merriam-Webster- Sport: physical activity engaged in for pleasure

So yes marching band is a sport.

@ Poejoe

Next year, we are doing a show called Insanity.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/8/2009 8:24:34 PM
At 5/5/2009 7:05:29 PM, JBlake wrote:
Sport: No.
Art: Yes.

Have you ever done it?
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2009 2:28:55 PM
Technicalities aside, I wouldn't consider marching band a sport. I agree with JBlake (and PoeJoe) that it's art. I'd imagine that competitive, physical games are usually considered sports, whereas any rivalry between marching bands would be classified simply as competition. I'm not arguing that it's not physically strenuous to participate in band; then again, it's physically strenuous to do things like pave asphalt (construction), wait tables, or paint houses, but I don't think those actions are sports either.
President of DDO
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2009 7:36:46 PM
At 5/11/2009 2:28:55 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Technicalities aside, I wouldn't consider marching band a sport. I agree with JBlake (and PoeJoe) that it's art. I'd imagine that competitive, physical games are usually considered sports, whereas any rivalry between marching bands would be classified simply as competition. I'm not arguing that it's not physically strenuous to participate in band; then again, it's physically strenuous to do things like pave asphalt (construction), wait tables, or paint houses, but I don't think those actions are sports either.

Yes, but we do indeed compete -- in parades, field show competitions, et cetera.

Think of it as figure skating, but at a much grander scale.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/11/2009 7:42:05 PM
At 5/11/2009 7:36:46 PM, PoeJoe wrote:
At 5/11/2009 2:28:55 PM, theLwerd wrote:

Yes, but we do indeed compete -- in parades, field show competitions, et cetera.

Think of it as figure skating, but at a much grander scale.

With many more people. There's a whole set of posture to follow. Memorising a show and doing that show are not easy.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2009 7:41:00 AM
I'm not saying that it's not a lot of work. I acknowledged that you guys compete (even on a "grand" scale), that there's a whole set of posture to follow, a lot of memorization involved, a lot of time and effort (including physical strain), etc. However you both ignored my points of what I DO think it is (a form of entertainment, art, and competition) and what I DON'T think it is (sport) and why. See: My analogy with other physically strenuous things.

When Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel on his back for 7 years, don't tell me that wasn't physically strenuous or didn't require strict posture and discipline. There was physical strain, memorization, exquisite precision, etc. And you can even say that he was "competing" with other artists in Europe for supremacy in the field at the time. However, I don't consider what he did a Sport. Granted, though, that the beauty of this term (like art and love) is subject to opinion and scrutiny; it will be hard to change people's mind : )
President of DDO
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2009 5:59:32 PM
I think you misunderstand. Field shows are actually numerically judged in competition; it's a 100 point scale. So really, it's basically large-scale figure skating; and if you count figure skating as sport, you have to include marching band.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/12/2009 10:28:50 PM
I don't consider it a sport. Most of my reasons have already been mentioned so I'll just change my sig and head on out...
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
18freckles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2009 12:48:28 PM
how can a peice of art be compared to marching band, alll he had to do was think, get some paint, and use his wrist along with fingers, ofcourse its going to strain his back and hurt his butt but thats because he is sitting there all day for 7 years. marching band you use everything, heck you may not do it for 7 years straight, more like 7 hours a day but still I see no comparison

lets compare it to an actual sport... Soccer: you run (so your using legs and lungs and arms), your playing against another team to win, and its physical activity.
Marching band: you march holding an instrument (so your using almost everything in your body), youe competeing against other bands to win, and its physical activity.

I really dont see a difference?
theitalianstallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2009 3:14:36 PM
At 5/13/2009 12:48:28 PM, 18freckles wrote:

lets compare it to an actual sport... Soccer: you run (so your using legs and lungs and arms), your playing against another team to win, and its physical activity.
Marching band: you march holding an instrument (so your using almost everything in your body), youe competeing against other bands to win, and its physical activity.

I really dont see a difference?

I do.

If we go with what you are describing, singing is a sport. If we go with what you are describing, playing drums is a sport. If we go with what you are describing, typing on the computer while spinning my chair is a sport.

How do I come to these conclusions? You said a sport requires some physical activity, use of arms, legs and lungs, and competition. All the previously stated activities involve some physical ability, the use of arms, legs and lungs, and, in some cases, have competition.

Art: Yes
Sport:No

PS. "I really dont see a difference?"....That's not a question.

Not trying to be an @$$, just pointing out the flaws in your argument.
When Reach fell, I came.
18freckles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2009 3:40:40 PM
if your in a drum line and you do a drum line competition yes its a sport, singing is not a sport cuz your just standing there using vocal chords against other choruses, and heck if theres o competition for spinning in a chair et cetra then its a competition not a sport, thats like saying eating chicken wings as fast as you can is a sport
it wasnt a ? or an exclamation... figure it out yourself

im not trying to be an a$$ just pointing out the flaws in your arguement
PoeJoe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2009 3:51:40 PM
Again: Marching band is highly competitive. Field show competitions often times have more than twenty bands competing. These competitions have judges who judge off a 100 point scale. Marching band is pretty much large-scale figure skating.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/13/2009 3:59:23 PM
Everything's simpler with a much stricter interpretation of sport--

Physically demanding competition in which you not only have a specific predefined objective goal, but also can legitimately act to prevent your opponent from reaching such a similar goal.

This excludes a number of things like track and field or golf, but keeps the core of the concept intact :).
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
theitalianstallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2009 8:26:39 AM
At 5/13/2009 3:59:23 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

This excludes a number of things like track and field or golf, but keeps the core of the concept intact :).

Doesn't exclude ALL track events, most though. All sprints and field events are excluded, but distance events (800 and up) still meet the requirements of your definition.
When Reach fell, I came.
18freckles
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2009 1:08:42 PM
would you give it a rest... track no matter what event is still a sport, or they wouldnt count it under SPORTS in schools and the olympics
theitalianstallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2009 8:43:31 AM
At 5/13/2009 3:40:40 PM, 18freckles wrote:
if your in a drum line and you do a drum line competition yes its a sport, singing is not a sport cuz your just standing there using vocal chords against other choruses,

Singers don't just stand around, they move around and get the audience involved. Watch any good frontman and they'll do exactly what I said. Rolling Stones would be a good place to start (live performance).

Tell me, what was the difference between drum line and singing?

and heck if theres o competition for spinning in a chair et cetra then its a :competition not a sport, thats like saying eating chicken wings as fast as you can is a sport

What's the difference between that and marching band? Spinning a chair while typing would require much more coordination than most have and would require the use of lungs; sounds a lot like marching band, but it's still not a sport.

it wasnt a ? or an exclamation... figure it out yourself

im not trying to be an a$$ just pointing out the flaws in your arguement
When Reach fell, I came.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/15/2009 9:03:52 AM
At 5/14/2009 8:26:39 AM, theitalianstallion wrote:
At 5/13/2009 3:59:23 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

Doesn't exclude ALL track events, most though. All sprints and field events are excluded, but distance events (800 and up) still meet the requirements of your definition.
Are you "Allowed" to interfere with opposing runners in distance events?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.