Jump to topic:

Martial Arts

Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 12:10:08 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Who here does martial arts? And if you do do them, which styles do you practice?
I personally do Taikwon-Do, 10th Planet Jiu-jitsu, and I do MMA.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 12:29:56 AM
Judo and Muay Thai
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
nerdykiller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 1:13:57 AM
At 11/6/2011 12:10:08 AM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:
Who here does martial arts? And if you do do them, which styles do you practice?

Tae kwon do black belt and maybe wrestling (its a fun sport not martial art, but a need to be in that category for its techniques.
Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 8:50:28 AM
At 11/6/2011 12:29:56 AM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Judo and Muay Thai

That's cool i've been wanting to try Judo, but I decided to get a Black belt in Taikwon-Do before I do it.
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 8:51:49 AM
At 11/6/2011 1:13:57 AM, nerdykiller wrote:
At 11/6/2011 12:10:08 AM, Deathbeforedishonour wrote:

Tae kwon do black belt and maybe wrestling (its a fun sport not martial art, but a need to be in that category for its techniques.

Yeah it should. I do a lot of wrestling in MMA.

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 9:04:54 PM
Been training in Wing Chun, Hung Ga Kuen, and plan to start learning Cai Li Fo.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 9:22:29 PM
I am a certified black belt in Zui Quan.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 9:25:54 PM
Just Muay Thai now, I quit BJJ too much strain on my neck, and ground fighting is just awkward for me, and i hate doing it. I was going to do TaeKwonDo but never got around to it
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 9:27:53 PM
At 11/6/2011 9:22:29 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Not really, but If I were to learn martial arts, that would be my choice.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Lordknukle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 9:41:52 PM
Black belt in Taekwondo +Jiu Jitsu.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/6/2011 9:57:56 PM
At 11/6/2011 9:26:57 PM, Loserboi wrote:
for those who do muay thai how many of you have done a smoker?

I haven't even sparred, I've been doing muay thai for about two months, and it's a fitness class, not a club or dedicated gym.

Judo, on the other hand, everyone pretty much spars on their first or second day and I've been doing it for about 8 months (none in the summer so not counting the summer). I figure I'll get a lot more use out of the Judo, the muay thai is just extra exercise, and it at least has defensive reflex drills so maybe I can evade and counter a few things before I get close enough for Judo :P.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2011 3:27:54 AM
At 11/6/2011 9:57:56 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

I haven't even sparred, I've been doing muay thai for about two months, and it's a fitness class, not a club or dedicated gym.

How is it just fitness?

Judo, on the other hand, everyone pretty much spars on their first or second day and I've been doing it for about 8 months (none in the summer so not counting the summer). I figure I'll get a lot more use out of the Judo, the muay thai is just extra exercise

Why do you figure that you will get more use out of Judo than Muay Thai? Don't most street fights involve punches and kicks, not leg wraps and joint locks?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2011 12:16:34 PM
At 11/6/2011 9:27:53 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Drunken Fist? Good luck with that, it's one of the most difficult styles to master and I think it's obvious why.

Btw, it's best not to actually be highly intoxicated while attempting Drunken Fist.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2011 2:20:37 PM
At 11/7/2011 12:16:34 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 11/6/2011 9:27:53 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Drunken Fist? Good luck with that, it's one of the most difficult styles to master and I think it's obvious why.

Btw, it's best not to actually be highly intoxicated while attempting Drunken Fist.

I like the style because I find it to be aesthetically appealing, and the very concept of it is hilarious.
heart_of_the_matter
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2011 10:56:36 PM
I studied Aikido for a while and then also Wing Chun for a while. I enjoyed them...I would like to learn something else as well...not sure what though...perhaps jiu jitsu or boxing, or MMA or judo...or something else...

but I'm getting older and not sure of the benefit to effort ratio...especially when I have to pay for the training!
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 10:45:00 PM
I used to do Taikwon-Do.

I don't know why but I don't like martial arts much. I dropped out because I thought it was extremely boring. Although that might have to do partly with the teacher (who I didn't really like much and had terrible breath and bad body oder), the amount of time the class was (something like 3 hours), and the class itself, which was made up of allot of people who weren't my age.

Funnily the class started out with 20+ people but literally everyone dropped out so it had to stop.

I MUCH prefer soccer.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2011 10:47:47 PM
I'm pretty interested in boxing though and a little bit in wrestling.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 1:54:43 PM
At 11/6/2011 9:04:54 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
Been training in Wing Chun, Hung Ga Kuen, and plan to start learning Cai Li Fo.

I also plan to learn Chin Na. It's basically Kung Fu's answer to Brazillian Jiu Jitsu. It specializes in grappling, joint locks, and ground game.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 2:23:45 PM
At 11/7/2011 3:27:54 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

How is it just fitness?
It's not "just fitness, " but it's advertised for the purpose of fitness, and th lack of sparring reflects that.

Judo, on the other hand, everyone pretty much spars on their first or second day and I've been doing it for about 8 months (none in the summer so not counting the summer). I figure I'll get a lot more use out of the Judo, the muay thai is just extra exercise

Why do you figure that you will get more use out of Judo than Muay Thai? Don't most street fights involve punches and kicks, not leg wraps and joint locks?
For one thing, dealing with a street fighter who assaults you, it's probably better to do what he's NOT used to.
For another, I have no idea what the statistics are on how long street fights stay at striking range. I've heard "Most fights go to the ground" from some people, but I dunno if its true.
For another, I plan to go into the military. You don't punch someone who has a gun when you're out of ammo, you grab him and don't let him point his gun at you, if it comes to that unhappy circumstance.

Finally, as I said, I get to spar in Judo, and I don't in muay thai. Any martial art has very limited use if you don't get to train against a resisting opponent. Aliveness> all else. Eve if I did train in a gym that sparred muay thai, I wouldn't get to train as often, it's not as safe to do so. Frequent punching to the head ruins one's studies.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 2:52:26 PM
At 11/9/2011 2:23:45 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:

How is it just fitness?
It's not "just fitness, " but it's advertised for the purpose of fitness, and th lack of sparring reflects that.

For one thing, dealing with a street fighter who assaults you, it's probably better to do what he's NOT used to.
For another, I have no idea what the statistics are on how long street fights stay at striking range. I've heard "Most fights go to the ground" from some people, but I dunno if its true.
For another, I plan to go into the military. You don't punch someone who has a gun when you're out of ammo, you grab him and don't let him point his gun at you, if it comes to that unhappy circumstance.

Finally, as I said, I get to spar in Judo, and I don't in muay thai. Any martial art has very limited use if you don't get to train against a resisting opponent. Aliveness> all else. Eve if I did train in a gym that sparred muay thai, I wouldn't get to train as often, it's not as safe to do so. Frequent punching to the head ruins one's studies.

It's kind of hard for someone to shoot you when you're punching them in the face... just sayin'
Rob
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 3:03:36 PM
At 11/9/2011 2:52:26 PM, Lasagna wrote:

How is it just fitness?

It's kind of hard for someone to shoot you when you're punching them in the face... just sayin'

Even harder when they're thrown on their face ^_^
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 3:13:40 PM
If someone actually tries to take me down, I'm kneeing them in the face, soccer kicking their gut, punching the back of their head, and elbowing their spine, bottomline.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 3:20:44 PM

How is it just fitness?

What, rolling around on the hard concrete? Probably not the best idea especially if he's bigger than you.

From the street fights I've seen in my middle schools years, and fights on Youtube, they're mostly stand up with some grappling that ends up back to striking or clinch.

Sure, but styles like Krav Maga and Hapkido would work much better than Jiu Jitsu for military situations. I don't see too many soldiers on the ground wrestling or breaking elbows with an arm bar.

Agreed there.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 3:46:12 PM
At 11/9/2011 3:13:40 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
If someone actually tries to take me down, I'm kneeing them in the face, soccer kicking their gut, punching the back of their head, and elbowing their spine, bottomline.

All of that is legal in the UFC with the exception of the back of the head bit (which seems nonessential to the sequence). Why don't you see more of it?

(Also, Judo doesn't really teach grabbing anymore since the circumstances where it's allowed in competition are so limited with the new rules, so pretty much every Judo throw left has the thrower's head right next to the throwees until the throw is complete).

What, rolling around on the hard concrete?
Judo is not BJJ. Judo emphasizes standup grappling first, groundfighting second. Kicking someone's head after you've thrown them probably doesn't take much training. Judo does not allow pulling guard, Judo does not allow buttscooting. Guard is taught but only as a scenario that might come up when something goes wrong, the rule of thumb in Judo is that if you are going to choose to go in for groundfighting, you are going to go in from the top.

Sure, but styles like Krav Maga and Hapkido would work much better than Jiu Jitsu for military situations. I don't see too many soldiers on the ground wrestling or breaking elbows with an arm bar.
Judo is not BJJ.
Hapkido doesn't train with aliveness.
Krav Maga generally doesn't train with aliveness in the US. Maybe the Krav Maga the Israeli Special Forces learn is different.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 3:47:25 PM
Also, Judo doesn't really teach grabbing LEGS anymore
fix'd
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 3:48:53 PM
Not that I'm dissing on BJJ or anything. A lot of the old Gracie style-vs-style fights took place on concrete and the Gracies completely dominated, no problem.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 3:51:06 PM
Though the BJJ vs Hapkido fight didn't take place on concrete:

The non-BJJ style usually chose venue in such fights if I recall correctly.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 4:12:26 PM
At 11/9/2011 3:46:12 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
At 11/9/2011 3:13:40 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

All of that is legal in the UFC with the exception of the back of the head bit (which seems nonessential to the sequence). Why don't you see more of it?

The only one that's legal is a knee to the face, but since kneeing someone while their grounded is illegal and someone attempting a takedown is too close to be being grounded, no one wants to take the risk of being charged with kneeing a grounded opponent.

Soccer kicks, strikes to the spine, and strikes to the back of the head are illegal.

(Also, Judo doesn't really teach grabbing anymore since the circumstances where it's allowed in competition are so limited with the new rules, so pretty much every Judo throw left has the thrower's head right next to the throwees until the throw is complete).

What, rolling around on the hard concrete?
Judo is not BJJ. Judo emphasizes standup grappling first, groundfighting second. Kicking someone's head after you've thrown them probably doesn't take much training. Judo does not allow pulling guard, Judo does not allow buttscooting. Guard is taught but only as a scenario that might come up when something goes wrong, the rule of thumb in Judo is that if you are going to choose to go in for groundfighting, you are going to go in from the top.

Ok, granted.

Judo is not BJJ.
Hapkido doesn't train with aliveness.

Not based on what I've seen.

Krav Maga generally doesn't train with aliveness in the US.

Uh, yea, probably because every Krav Maga move is designed to kill instantly.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 4:30:49 PM
And just because a move isn't used in the UFC doesn't mean it won't work. I see no reason why a knee to the face wouldn't stop someone from shooting. Perhaps the knee might not be accurate enough, but even then I'd just start throwing kicks and punches like crazy to the point where my opponent would receive an onslaught of strikes in his attempt to take me down.

It's not good to dive head first into an onslaught of strikes.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat