Jump to topic:

Standford vs Oregon

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2011 6:53:08 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
So, in my oppinion the LSU v Alabama game (#1 v #2, respectfully) was a pretty bad game. While I'm glad that LSU won, I don't think they should have. Their main QB J.Lee went 3 for 7 with 2 picks and a nice total of 24 yards (though, prior to that game he had 13 TDs to only 1 Pick).

But moving on to next week, the big game will be #4 Stanford v #7 Oregon (at Stanford). This looks to be a great game. Unlike the #1 v #2, which was the two best defenses going head to head, this will be the two best offenses going head to head. And there is, of course, some history. Oregon's last in-confrence loss came at the hands of Luck and Stanford back in 2009, and Stanford's last loss (that they are since riding a 17 game winning streak) came at the hands of Oregon in 2010.

Both of these teams have to win to have a shot at the BCS title game, and the winner has a good chance of going (thanks to the addition of the 12th game, championship game into the Pac-12 this year).

Anyway, do we have any predictions?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/7/2011 7:21:04 PM
By the way, here is a very, very, VERY hopeful blog for Oregon.

I loved the line, "Imagine Ducks coach Chip Kelly and his running back LaMichael James on their hands and knees, each supporting one of Luck's feet as he basks in heavenly sunbeams and an angelic chorus."
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 2:21:51 PM
I'd rather Stanford win because Oregon's style doesn't suit them well for bowl games, let alone a national championship.

Oregon's high speed offense relies a ton on timing and rhythm. When thats going, they're scoring 50+ like you see. But when they get a lot of time off before a game, like the national championship, they get out of rhythm and need a couple games to get it back. If you look at their last few years, their worst offensive games have been on the opening season, after 7 months off, or in their bowl game, after 3 weeks off. Last year they played a terrible Auburn defense in the NC and scored 17 points. They played Boise in an opener once and scored 8. The same thing is going to happen this year in their bowl game, and they'd be completely shut down if they played LSU in the NC.

So I'd rather Stanford win. But will they? Eh...not sure if their defense will hold up long enough against the Ducks 'cause they're in rhythm right now. And Luck threw a pick-six in crunch time against USC.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2011 4:03:01 PM
That is a very good analysis of the Ducks. They do seem to be more like a locomotive that once they get going, they are surely one of the best, but after they rest for awhile and come to a stop, they cannot start up right away to win a game.

However, I think that the current Ducts are doing much better in that department now than they were previously. Note that when they opened against LSU this year, they scored 27 points, which is still the most that LSU has given up in a single game, and the Ducks did hold LSU to fewer yards (though more points) than Alabama did. So even when coming off a long break, the Ducks still show great ability (just not quite as great).

We also say that as James and Thomas were injured, the backups were able to step-up pretty quickly (please don't mention the backup RB's first carry that was a fumble), and James and Thomas were able to come back into the game (after, I believe 3 and 2 weeks) without missing a beat.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2011 12:29:42 AM
At 11/9/2011 4:03:01 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
That is a very good analysis of the Ducks. They do seem to be more like a locomotive that once they get going, they are surely one of the best, but after they rest for awhile and come to a stop, they cannot start up right away to win a game.

However, I think that the current Ducts are doing much better in that department now than they were previously. Note that when they opened against LSU this year, they scored 27 points, which is still the most that LSU has given up in a single game, and the Ducks did hold LSU to fewer yards (though more points) than Alabama did. So even when coming off a long break, the Ducks still show great ability (just not quite as great).

We also say that as James and Thomas were injured, the backups were able to step-up pretty quickly (please don't mention the backup RB's first carry that was a fumble), and James and Thomas were able to come back into the game (after, I believe 3 and 2 weeks) without missing a beat.

Eh, they really only scored 20 against LSU. The game was over in the 4th quarter and LSU had their 3rd string out there when Oregon got that last TD.

You're right that they have great depth though. However, you could also make an argument that you could insert any decent back into Oregon's system and they would put up numbers.

Who do you want to see in the NC?
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2011 2:15:12 AM
Wait, dumb question. I forgot you live in Oregon.

If they could maintain their rhythm into a bowl game, seeing them match up with Ok State would obviously be ridiculously exciting. Ok State's defense is absolutely terrible so Oregon would probably win even though OSU would score a lot as well. Lot of points for sure.

Normally I'd be rooting for Boise to be in the NC. I still think they can compete, but they're just not as good as they were last year. Lost their top 2 receivers and corners. They're still really good and would have a chance in a BCS bowl, but not an NC.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2011 10:32:26 AM
At 11/10/2011 12:29:42 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 11/9/2011 4:03:01 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Eh, they really only scored 20 against LSU. The game was over in the 4th quarter and LSU had their 3rd string out there when Oregon got that last TD.

You're right that they have great depth though. However, you could also make an argument that you could insert any decent back into Oregon's system and they would put up numbers.

Who do you want to see in the NC?

They had their thrid string (in defense only) out there partially because of Oregon's fast pace. Even though LSU had a +6 minute ToP advantage (33 minutes, to 27 minutes for Oregon), Oregon ran off 82 plays to LSU's 70 plays, so they had to dig deep into their depth chart (that is one of Oregon's main advantage). Oregon has often gone into half time either tied or slightly winning to only run away with the game in the second half (see games vs Cal, ASU, WSU, and UW), all were 1 possesion games at the half.

Compare that to the LSU v Alabama, where in the pre-OT game, Alabama only got off 60 plays (to LSU's 58).
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 11:54:02 AM
At 11/12/2011 11:21:17 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Well your Ducks did pretty good tonight. Congrats. My horns on the other hand...

I will say that I am more happy with the Ducks getting two picks off of Luck than them getting the win.