Total Posts:12|Showing Posts:1-12
Jump to topic:

Tebow-Mania

inferno
Posts: 10,655
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2011 1:07:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/10/2011 12:48:51 PM, Lasagna wrote:
It's pretty interesting. Do you guys have opinions?

http://espn.go.com...

He is my favorite college football coach because he gave Florida 2 more titles.
But as an NFL guy he is only average.
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2011 2:12:34 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Don't know if he can hold up to the constant hits he'll be taking with the option. He's big and all, but NFL collisions are brutal over time.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2011 3:08:01 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/10/2011 2:12:34 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Don't know if he can hold up to the constant hits he'll be taking with the option. He's big and all, but NFL collisions are brutal over time.

If 5' 10", 190 lb running backs can do it, why not him?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2011 3:14:27 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Anyway, since Tebow was drafted in the first round (which many people thought he wouldn't be drafted until round 3) I've been a vocal supporter of Tebow. Not sure why, I'm not really a Florida fan, nor even follow their confrence (I couldn't name a single player from their team today, let alone a coach or anything).

But I think that his option style can be very effective... to a point. It can also be easily defeated with proper preperations. The Raiders went in unprepared and went with their standard game plan. This allowed Tebow to get more accurate reads on their defense (so he had a better knowledge of what to do before the snap even occured). By simply mixing this up, you can cause him to mis-read and completely halt the offense (since it is entirely dependent upon his reading skills).

Given that he still have yet to break 50% completion, he is not a real pass threat, so tricking his reads into passing will likely halt the offense. He also has little experience with the NFL teams, and so his reads will be less accurate.

I think that if teams prep against the option, Tebow's offense will crumble at it's current state. Of course, if he gets his completion up to upper 50's to lower 60's things will be a lot different.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2011 12:14:35 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/10/2011 3:08:01 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/10/2011 2:12:34 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Don't know if he can hold up to the constant hits he'll be taking with the option. He's big and all, but NFL collisions are brutal over time.

If 5' 10", 190 lb running backs can do it, why not him?

Yeah, and they don't last very long.

Don't get me wrong, I love Tebow. We need more people like him in sports right now. But using the option as a primary offense doesn't sound that great. Not only does it reduce Tebow's lifespan and increase injury probability, but as you mentioned, once teams start prepping for it, it won't be effective. Look at the Dolphin's wildcat in 08. They were tearing people up with it, but now its gone obsolete as teams started preparing for it.
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2011 9:41:46 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/11/2011 12:14:35 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 11/10/2011 3:08:01 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/10/2011 2:12:34 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Don't know if he can hold up to the constant hits he'll be taking with the option. He's big and all, but NFL collisions are brutal over time.

If 5' 10", 190 lb running backs can do it, why not him?

Yeah, and they don't last very long.

Don't get me wrong, I love Tebow. We need more people like him in sports right now. But using the option as a primary offense doesn't sound that great. Not only does it reduce Tebow's lifespan and increase injury probability, but as you mentioned, once teams start prepping for it, it won't be effective. Look at the Dolphin's wildcat in 08. They were tearing people up with it, but now its gone obsolete as teams started preparing for it.

Don't say that, I want to see Jacquizz Rogers go 12+ seasons (though I still wished he stayed with the Beavers for his last season).

I think that can be said for any single style offensive. What will make a team successful, is recognizing when oppenents adjust to it the game before that the opponent's do, and switching to something else, and cycling through several different styles so that the opponent's don't know what to expect or deal with. Right now, the Chiefs are really working on dealing with the option, so that is what they are going to expect and plan against. Now if Tebow and the Broncos come out with something entirely different (which is going to be hard with an under 50% pass accuracy), that can really F-up the chief's defense, and possibly leave them vulnerable to the option late in the 3rd or 4th quarter.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2011 11:25:09 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/11/2011 9:41:46 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/11/2011 12:14:35 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 11/10/2011 3:08:01 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/10/2011 2:12:34 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Don't know if he can hold up to the constant hits he'll be taking with the option. He's big and all, but NFL collisions are brutal over time.

If 5' 10", 190 lb running backs can do it, why not him?

Yeah, and they don't last very long.

Don't get me wrong, I love Tebow. We need more people like him in sports right now. But using the option as a primary offense doesn't sound that great. Not only does it reduce Tebow's lifespan and increase injury probability, but as you mentioned, once teams start prepping for it, it won't be effective. Look at the Dolphin's wildcat in 08. They were tearing people up with it, but now its gone obsolete as teams started preparing for it.

Don't say that, I want to see Jacquizz Rogers go 12+ seasons (though I still wished he stayed with the Beavers for his last season).

I think that can be said for any single style offensive. What will make a team successful, is recognizing when oppenents adjust to it the game before that the opponent's do, and switching to something else, and cycling through several different styles so that the opponent's don't know what to expect or deal with. Right now, the Chiefs are really working on dealing with the option, so that is what they are going to expect and plan against. Now if Tebow and the Broncos come out with something entirely different (which is going to be hard with an under 50% pass accuracy), that can really F-up the chief's defense, and possibly leave them vulnerable to the option late in the 3rd or 4th quarter.

Good point. Maybe the Broncos should come out with the Air Raid in the first quarter, West coast in the 2nd, Flexbone in the third, and then use the Read option. lol
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2011 1:27:13 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/11/2011 12:14:35 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
But using the option as a primary offense doesn't sound that great. Not only does it reduce Tebow's lifespan and increase injury probability, but as you mentioned, once teams start prepping for it, it won't be effective.

I disagree with this.
President of DDO
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2011 1:54:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/11/2011 1:27:13 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 11/11/2011 12:14:35 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
But using the option as a primary offense doesn't sound that great. Not only does it reduce Tebow's lifespan and increase injury probability, but as you mentioned, once teams start prepping for it, it won't be effective.

I disagree with this.

Why?
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2011 2:52:33 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/11/2011 1:54:36 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Why?

NFL defenses aren't used to preparing for an option-style offense, but that's what they have to do for when facing Tebow. The Broncos offense becomes a triple threat instead of a double threat in terms of just throwing or handing it off to the RB. While facing Oakland, Tebow not only threw for 2 TDs but ran 118 yards. Those are some RB numbers. Because the defense had to pay attention to Tebow potentially running the ball himself, it opened up plays for the RB who also got 163 yards and 2 TDs. The QB having the ability to run creates havoc on defenses because they have to account for more possible plays. I also think that a QB can get just as hurt being sacked in the pocket as he can while running. Of course it's a little more dangerous, but football is dangerous. Different plays carry different risks for different players. The option however is just that - an option. More options means more opportunities to disrupt defenses and use different tactics to get ahead. You can surprise people which just statistically seems in your favor if you get the play calls right.
President of DDO
Ore_Ele
Posts: 25,980
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/11/2011 4:38:33 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 11/11/2011 2:52:33 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 11/11/2011 1:54:36 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Why?

NFL defenses aren't used to preparing for an option-style offense, but that's what they have to do for when facing Tebow. The Broncos offense becomes a triple threat instead of a double threat in terms of just throwing or handing it off to the RB. While facing Oakland, Tebow not only threw for 2 TDs but ran 118 yards. Those are some RB numbers. Because the defense had to pay attention to Tebow potentially running the ball himself, it opened up plays for the RB who also got 163 yards and 2 TDs. The QB having the ability to run creates havoc on defenses because they have to account for more possible plays. I also think that a QB can get just as hurt being sacked in the pocket as he can while running. Of course it's a little more dangerous, but football is dangerous. Different plays carry different risks for different players. The option however is just that - an option. More options means more opportunities to disrupt defenses and use different tactics to get ahead. You can surprise people which just statistically seems in your favor if you get the play calls right.

Yes, but I think for it to be effective a few things need to happen (when I say "effective" I mean for the long term, like a full season).

1) Tebow needs to start completing passes. 45% is not going to cut it.
2) Tebow needs experience. As teams prepare against it, one of the main things is going to be throwing off his read, to try and trick him into one of the options (probably pass because of his low completion percentage) and try to control him in that manner. With enough experience, he'll be able to read the misques that they try to give him and see through them.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"