Jump to topic:

NFL Playoff Preview and Speculations

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 10:13:34 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Current Standings (assuming the Packers beat the Vikings tonight)

AFC East
Patriots 6-3
Jets 5-4
Bills 5-4
Dolphins 2-7

AFC North
Steelers 7-3
Ravens 6-3
Bengals 6-3
Browns 3-6

AFC South
Texans 7-3
Titans 5-4
Jaguars 3-6
Colts 0-10

AFC West
Raiders 5-4
Chargers 4-5
Broncos 4-5
Chiefs 4-5

My predicted division winners: Patriots (they have a really easy upcoming schedule), Steelers, Texans and I guess Raiders. The AFC West is still kinda up in the air right now, but I don't see the Chargers getting their ish together in time to do anything substantial. So long as the Raiders don't get injured, I think they'll be alright. I say the Ravens and Jets get the Wildcard spots.

Its hard to figure out who the best team here is, but it's definitely not the Jets or the Raiders. I think it's between the Steelers and the Ravens right now, with the Steelers having the edge. However it seems they can beat any team but the Ravens lol. I'm not sleeping on the Texans either, but yeah I pick the Steelers to win it for now.

----------------------

NFC East
Giants 6-3
Cowboys 5-4
Eagles 3-6
Redskins 3-6

NFC North
Packers 9-0
Lions 6-3
Bears 6-3
Vikings 2-7

NFC South
Saints 7-3
Falcons 5-4
Bucs 4-5
Panthers 2-7

NFC West
49ers 8-1
Seahawks 3-6
Cardinals 3-6
Rams 2-7

I say the Cowboys win the division over the Giants, just because the Giants have such a tough schedule. Their next few games are against the Eagles, Packers, Saints, Redskins, Jets and Cowboys x2. They could easily lose 3 of those games. Meanwhile the Cowboys are facing the Redskins (not a challenge), Dolphins (struggling big time), Cardinals (struggling and playing without their starting QB), Bucs (iffy), Eagles and Giants x2. I could see the Cowboys losing 2-3 of those games, which would make them tie with the Giants. So I dunno, but one of them will probably get the Wildcard regardless. The other Wildcard will probably go to the Bears, as the Packers, Saints and Niners will be the other division leaders. I don't think the Lions have the spark or hype that they did at the beginning of the season, much like the Buffalo Bills (whom I never bought into anyway).

The NFC is so good this year. The Packers are obviously the favorites to go all the way, but watch out for the 49ers. I actually think they have a chance to beat the Packers, just because the Packers won't really have been challenged at all with their easy schedule. The 49ers will play against the Ravens and the Steelers to really test their chops. I think these will be good indicators of whether or not they will be able to beat Green Bay for the NFC title. Honestly, I've never paid any attention to San Francisco and was curious about the hype. I watched them this weekend and was thoroughly impressed. I still think the Saints are tough competitors, but right now the Niners have the momentum and Green Bay has Aaron Rodgers, so I think I'm going with one of them to win it - probably the Niners.

The poor Cowboys and Gmen will have fought tough all year long (especially my Giants!) but it will likely not pay off. Le sigh. And despite their probable playoff appearance, I'm not sure the Bears will make it very far either.
President of DDO
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 11:51:36 AM
NFC

Wildcard round:
New York (6) @ New Orleans (3)
Chicago (5) @ Dallas (4)

Divisional Round:
Dallas @ Green Bay (1)
New Orleans @ San Francisco (2)

Championship Round
New Orleans @ Green Bay

AFC

Wildcard Round
Baltimore (5) @ Oakland (4)
New York (6) @ Pittsburgh(3)

Divisional Round
Baltimore @ Houston (1)
Pittsburgh @ New England (2)

Championship Round
Pittsburgh @ Houston

SuperBowl
Houston vs. Green Bay
Rob
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 12:34:49 PM
Lasagna I don't see how Houston makes the super bowl. Yeah they're tearing people up right now, but I don't see them competing against playoff teams with Owen Daniels and Mario Williams out for the season. They also have a DB injured whose name escapes me.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 12:45:23 PM
At 11/14/2011 11:51:36 AM, Lasagna wrote:
NFC

Wildcard round:
Chicago (5) @ Dallas (4)

Divisional Round:
Dallas @ Green Bay (1)

Championship Round
New Orleans @ Green Bay

AFC

Wildcard Round

Divisional Round
Baltimore @ Houston (1)

Championship Round
Pittsburgh @ Houston

SuperBowl
Houston vs. Green Bay

SuperBowl- New England Patriots verses Green Bay Packers or 49ers.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 2:46:41 PM
At 11/14/2011 12:45:23 PM, inferno wrote:
At 11/14/2011 11:51:36 AM, Lasagna wrote:
NFC

Wildcard round:
Chicago (5) @ Dallas (4)

Divisional Round:
Dallas @ Green Bay (1)

Championship Round
New Orleans @ Green Bay

AFC

Wildcard Round

Divisional Round
Baltimore @ Houston (1)

Championship Round
Pittsburgh @ Houston

SuperBowl
Houston vs. Green Bay

SuperBowl- New England Patriots verses Green Bay Packers or 49ers.

The Pats are melting down and Brady isn't enough to hold them together. If not Houston, then Pittsburgh will be in there. Either way they aren't beating the Pack this year. I wouldn't be surprised if McCarthy has a whole new defensive scheme ready for the playoffs that will change our defensive fortunes. We should be getting an awesome pass-rushing lineman (Mike Neal) by then and hopefully some more creative ways to use Clay Matthews. A pack/pat SB would be cool though, not only because it would be a '97 grudgematch, but because both teams have electric passing games and porous pass defenses. It would be an epic shootout between Rodgers and Brady and after that, either Inferno or myself would have to forever concede our arguments in the Rodgers/Brady debate.
Rob
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 3:08:37 PM
Well, last week the Bills showed that their offense was dead, this week they showed that their defense was dead too. Not to take away from what Romo did, but you can't have that good of a day without the defense facing the wrong direction.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/14/2011 4:29:47 PM
The Texans are a great team, but I don't think Arian Foster is enough to carry them. Big Ben is too good, and I feel the Steelers have more weapons on both sides of the ball. I think it's honestly a toss up between both of them and the Ravens at this point. All 3 teams are good, but none of them are as good as the Packers or the 49ers IMO. I think one of them will win the Superbowl. Of course, though, it's always too soon to tell. One of their starting QBs could get injured with 6+ weeks left and the entire dynamics can change for a plethora of reasons. Who knows. I feel like the Niners have their eye on the prize though.
President of DDO
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2011 1:37:11 AM
At 11/14/2011 6:45:01 PM, Loserboi wrote:
Matt Shuab out for season count Texans out

Yeah I just saw that - my prediction lasted a long time didn't it!
Rob
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 9:39:03 AM
At 11/15/2011 11:56:24 AM, Danielle wrote:
Werd. So it'll be the Steelers or Ravens vs. Green Bay or Niners, then. I say Steelers and Niners.

It's a shame the Niners don't play the Pack reg. season because that's one game that needs to be seen. That will be a hell of a Championship game if the Niners don't choke in the divisional round.

Honestly though, the Packers are only getting better. The Detroit game, which was promising to be the game of the season, isn't even looking interesting anymore. The only thing that might still make it good is the fact that the Packers have an incredibly difficult timeframe to play it in. They have a shortened week against Tampa (because of MNF) and then 4 days from the end of the Bucs game they have to be on the field in Detroit.
Rob
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 12:43:28 PM
Well my prediction was worthless, with Cutler and Schaub being out for the season. There's really no point guessing the NFC East until the boys and giants play each other, and the Eagles are technically (although not realistically) still in this.
Rob
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/22/2011 12:45:03 PM
http://espn.go.com...

A little playoff predictor program ESPN came up with.

LOL at the Packers winning the #1 seed in just about every scenario except when defense is used as a criteria, in which they lose out for the rest of the season (10-6)!
Rob
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/25/2011 10:11:54 AM
After the Thanksgiving games, it seems the Packers do indeed stand alone at the top. The Saints are the only team that has a chance to stop the Pack from taking the NFC in my eyes, because of their offensive weapons. If the Saints keep the #3 seed, they won't play the Pack until the Championship game and the season will end the way it started: with a high-scoring nailbiter. It will be an epic close between the league's top two quarterbacks. That is if the Saints don't lay another egg in the WC game.
Rob
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 12:30:05 PM
For those of you who have been keeping tabs on the Cowboys, do you really think they're better than the Giants? I haven't kept up with their games, so I haven't seen how much they've improved (if at all) throughout the season.

When I looked at Lasanga's link, to see who would be where according to the power rankings, it lists the Cowboys on top of the NFC East division. They are projected to go 12-4, whereas right now they are 7-4. That means they think the Cowboys are going to win all of their upcoming games. I say nay nay!

The Cowboys still have to face the Cardinals, Giants, Bucs, Eagles and Giants again. Aside from the Cardinals, I don't think we can look at ANY of those games and say the Cowboys are probably very likely to win. I think all of them are toss-ups. I dunno how Tampa Bay is fairing this year (not terribly good, according to their win ratio) but they are known for their defense -- and we know what happens when Romo gets rattled.

I don't think the Cowboys are guaranteed to win against the Eagles or Giants by any means. We know that the Eagles still have a lot of fight in em despite being (most likely) down for the count. Similarly, the G-men MUST win in order to contend for a playoff spot, so they're going to hang tough in their next 2 games against the Boys. I do think they're an overall better team than the Cowboys (even though it's close). I hope they win the division and get to the playoffs, where they'll probably face Chicago in the WC slot. That'd be an interesting game for sure.

I don't think the Saints will lose against their presumed opponents (the Falcons) in their WC game. I think the Jets will beat the Texans in the WC game if they are in fact the two teams who go. With Schaub out, we really only have to worry about Foster, and the Jets rank #6 in run defense. It doesn't matter though because I don't think the Jets can beat the Steelers, Ravens or Pats anyway. Likewise either Green Bay or San Fran deserves to go to the championship game, so I won't be too disappointed if/when the Saints and G-men don't go.
President of DDO
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 1:42:18 PM
At 11/26/2011 12:30:05 PM, Danielle wrote:
For those of you who have been keeping tabs on the Cowboys, do you really think they're better than the Giants? I haven't kept up with their games, so I haven't seen how much they've improved (if at all) throughout the season.

When I looked at Lasanga's link, to see who would be where according to the power rankings, it lists the Cowboys on top of the NFC East division. They are projected to go 12-4, whereas right now they are 7-4. That means they think the Cowboys are going to win all of their upcoming games. I say nay nay!

The Cowboys still have to face the Cardinals, Giants, Bucs, Eagles and Giants again. Aside from the Cardinals, I don't think we can look at ANY of those games and say the Cowboys are probably very likely to win. I think all of them are toss-ups. I dunno how Tampa Bay is fairing this year (not terribly good, according to their win ratio) but they are known for their defense -- and we know what happens when Romo gets rattled.

I don't think the Cowboys are guaranteed to win against the Eagles or Giants by any means. We know that the Eagles still have a lot of fight in em despite being (most likely) down for the count. Similarly, the G-men MUST win in order to contend for a playoff spot, so they're going to hang tough in their next 2 games against the Boys. I do think they're an overall better team than the Cowboys (even though it's close). I hope they win the division and get to the playoffs, where they'll probably face Chicago in the WC slot. That'd be an interesting game for sure.

I don't think the Saints will lose against their presumed opponents (the Falcons) in their WC game. I think the Jets will beat the Texans in the WC game if they are in fact the two teams who go. With Schaub out, we really only have to worry about Foster, and the Jets rank #6 in run defense. It doesn't matter though because I don't think the Jets can beat the Steelers, Ravens or Pats anyway. Likewise either Green Bay or San Fran deserves to go to the championship game, so I won't be too disappointed if/when the Saints and G-men don't go.

Well the Cowboys have been on a tear recently, though historically they've always dominated in November. They overcame their December woes last year but I wouldnt count out a resurgence this year.

Honestly Dallas, as always, is really talented. Demarco Murray is playing like a top 5 runningback right now. Miles Austin should be returning soon, so they've got him, Dez, Witten, and some guy named Robinson who tore up the Dolphins last week,, at receiver. Rob Ryan has revolutionized their D as well. So if they play to their talents (yeah, probably not) they can win 4 of those last 5.

But being realistic, we all know Romo will single-handedly blow at least one of those games. So 3-2 is most probable. Optimistically.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 1:52:04 PM
I've barely heard anything of the giants though. How are their receivers this year? Thats been their main problem the last couple seasons.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 4:53:07 PM
At 11/26/2011 1:52:04 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
I've barely heard anything of the giants though. How are their receivers this year? Thats been their main problem the last couple seasons.

Victor Cruz has emerged as a real talent. Hakeem Nicks is steady. I'm pretty sure Michael Clayton and Mario Manningham are injured now, but Manningham has been decent. Their WRs are actually doing okay, IMO. Their running game SUCKS. Granted Bradshaw has been injured the past few weeks, but Jacobs or someone else couldn't step up. They haven't had a great RB for awhile anyway.
President of DDO
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 5:20:31 PM
I'm not sure how the Giants' injuries pan out but they are IMO the top dog in the NFC East by a good margin. However their schedule is ridiculously hard from here on out so they could end up totally screwed. I'd say Dallas will take the division, and lose in the WC round. I can't imagine anyone I'd pick for them to beat in the playoffs...
Rob
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 11:46:40 PM
At 11/26/2011 5:20:31 PM, Lasagna wrote:
I'm not sure how the Giants' injuries pan out but they are IMO the top dog in the NFC East by a good margin. However their schedule is ridiculously hard from here on out so they could end up totally screwed. I'd say Dallas will take the division, and lose in the WC round. I can't imagine anyone I'd pick for them to beat in the playoffs...

Under most projections, the other teams in the NFL playoffs are the Lions, Bears, Packers, Giants, Saints, and 49ers. Dallas was whipping Detroit earlier in the season until Romo collapsed late, so thats winnable. The Bears lost Jay Cutler. So thats winnable too. They obviously won't beat the Pack or Saints. The 49ers and Giants I don't know much about outside of what Danielle told me. From what I do know, the 49ers don't have much of an offense.
SquadSix
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 2:05:25 AM
Well I would hope to see a rematch between the Packers and Steelers but that seems like a 100 to 1 scenario

Wild Card: Steelers(unless Baltimore starts LOSING!) Denver(if they can win out), Bengals, and Houston (if they can win 2 or 3 games) This is going to be a close race at the end for the AFC
The winners of the AFC would be the Patriots and Baltimore depending on how they do at the end.
The NFC is different though this is almost already decided
Wild Card: Detroit, Saints, Dallas, and Giants(unless Eagles win out)
The winners are basically already decided PACKERS and San Fran.

I would say if the Steelers go into the wildcard they will win and face Baltimore as usual and Denver would beat Houston(unless Oakland gets in) would face the Patriots
In the NFC Detroit beats the Saints and Dallas would beat the Giants if Romo gets time in the pocket Lions vs Packers 3rd time and if they can get to Aaron they have a shot at winning but a small one. Dallas faces San Fran and loses.
I say the Steelers beat Baltimore this time(hopefully) and face the Patriots in the championship(this would be a good game but the Steelers would win if the defense keeps up) Packers vs San. Fran. good game but Packers go for a repeat and beat them. Steelers vs Packers rematch of the century. I hope this is what happens so Big Ben can face the infallible Aaron Rodgers. I would actually hope Rodgers would win so the Packers can go down in history as the greatest team in NFL history beating the Miami Dolphins record of 17-0 with 19-0 and also the Patriots record of 18-1(if the Packers go undefeated)
SquadSix: Lawyer/Teacher in the making
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 3:16:19 AM
At 11/27/2011 2:05:25 AM, SquadSix wrote:
Well I would hope to see a rematch between the Packers and Steelers but that seems like a 100 to 1 scenario

Wild Card: Steelers(unless Baltimore starts LOSING!) Denver(if they can win out), Bengals, and Houston (if they can win 2 or 3 games) This is going to be a close race at the end for the AFC
The winners of the AFC would be the Patriots and Baltimore depending on how they do at the end.

I would say if the Steelers go into the wildcard they will win and face Baltimore as usual and Denver would beat Houston(unless Oakland gets in) would face the Patriots
In the NFC Detroit beats the Saints and Dallas would beat the Giants if Romo gets time in the pocket Lions vs Packers 3rd time and if they can get to Aaron they have a shot at winning but a small one. Dallas faces San Fran and loses.
I say the Steelers beat Baltimore this time(hopefully) and face the Patriots in the championship(this would be a good game but the Steelers would win if the defense keeps up) Packers vs San. Fran. good game but Packers go for a repeat and beat them. Steelers vs Packers rematch of the century. I hope this is what happens so Big Ben can face the infallible Aaron Rodgers. I would actually hope Rodgers would win so the Packers can go down in history as the greatest team in NFL history beating the Miami Dolphins record of 17-0 with 19-0 and also the Patriots record of 18-1(if the Packers go undefeated)

Ok, I love Tebow and all. But seriously, Denver winning out? They play the Vikings, Bills, Chargers, Bears, and Patriots to close out the season.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 2:17:58 PM
At 11/27/2011 2:05:25 AM, SquadSix wrote:

I'd rather see Rodgers face Brady, but whatever. One good thing about the Steelers is that Packers fans have a trump on their terrible towel. If Steelers fans start waving the yellow towel amongst thousands of green jerseys and jackets, well...

Don't forget Brady's 21-game winning streak. Unless we put the practice squad out there during the last 1-2 games (which would be nice) Rodgers should have that one wrapped up before the playoffs.

I agree that it would be disappointing to see Flacco or pretty much anyone else outside of Ben or Brady going up against Rodgers in the big game. Either one would be a SB rematch. Maybe they'll both get their rematches over the next one and a half seasons!

The best game of the season will once again be in the NFC just like it was in 09'. Saints/Vikings '09 and Saints/Packers '11 will be better than the respective Superbowls.
Rob
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/27/2011 8:54:29 PM
At 11/27/2011 2:23:39 PM, Danielle wrote:
I'd much prefer to see the Steelers play the Packers than the Patriots!

You don't think pats D is up for it or what?
Rob
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 12:53:11 AM
At 11/27/2011 8:54:29 PM, Lasagna wrote:

The Pats just gave up 400 passing yards to Vince Young. Lol.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 1:02:35 AM
At 11/28/2011 12:53:11 AM, BlackVoid wrote:

Funny how the pats and packers give up so much yards to recievers but still somehow continue to dominate.!
Rob
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2011 1:20:21 AM
At 11/28/2011 1:02:35 AM, Lasagna wrote:
At 11/28/2011 12:53:11 AM, BlackVoid wrote:

Funny how the pats and packers give up so much yards to recievers but still somehow continue to dominate.!

I thought the Pack's D was really improving recently?