Jump to topic:

World Series Bigger Than Super Bowl ?

inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2011 11:43:11 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
And no, I do not mean on a financial level. The NFL may make more money than the MLB. But the World Series is bigger than the Super Bowl. And that is because of the prestige, melodramatic endings, celebrations, crowd reaction, media coverage, and emotional high. The Lombardi trophy does not hold a candle to the glitz and glamour of the World Series ball. I think that after seeing this past World Series game, it all came to me then. They were right, the World Series is the grandest of them all. Do you agree ?
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2011 12:20:26 PM
I couldn't care less about the World Series unless the Yankees (or Mets, but lol @ that) are playing in it. I don't watch baseball until the post season anyway. Football has definitely replaced baseball as far as "America's sport" goes IMO.
President of DDO
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2011 12:32:00 PM
Yes, that may be true. But have you seen the last World Series ? It was a classic.
The energy is incredible ! There is something unique about the World Series and it has much to do with the elements of the game. Like suspense, mystery, momentum, emotions, and drive. The Super Bowl is too predictable and plain.
The celebrations are the most tame of them all. But there is nothing like watching a bunch of guys pile on top of each other, after running like wild pigs coming out of a dugout. It is grand. =)
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2011 12:37:28 PM
This is a worlwide event as well. But the atmosphere is much more mysterious and filled with intrigue. It is a game of the mind and patience. Baseball sucks bigtime.
But their celebrations and All Star Games are top notch.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2011 1:01:56 PM
This was true in the pre-strike era. But the golden age of baseball ended about 20 years ago. We won't have another Mickey Mantle or Babe Ruth because the game just isn't the same any more.

At the same time baseball was ruining itself for the ages, football was rising to take its place. The dynasties of the Cowboys and 49ers during this time cemented football as America's new favorite past-time. You have to remember that Baseball was popular during a different era, where each household was not furnished with a large-screen high-definition TV. Our culture wasn't quite saturated with media full of action and explosions. Our technology and culture has shifted away from the type of entertainment baseball offers and it doesn't show any signs of reversing itself. UFC is replacing boxing in the same manner.
Rob
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2011 1:13:50 PM
I think it's interesting that contact sports are becoming more and more popular. Also, like Rob mentioned, people are getting into UFC over boxing (and UFC is arguably more physically demanding and dangerous). The glitz and HDTVs and whatnot likely have something to do with it, but I think football is just more exciting. Baseball is a very slow game and not as physically demanding. I do like that the World Series is a series and not just one game, but I don't think that's really practical with football.
President of DDO
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2011 1:14:47 PM
At 11/15/2011 1:01:56 PM, Lasagna wrote:
This was true in the pre-strike era. But the golden age of baseball ended about 20 years ago. We won't have another Mickey Mantle or Babe Ruth because the game just isn't the same any more.

At the same time baseball was ruining itself for the ages, football was rising to take its place. The dynasties of the Cowboys and 49ers during this time cemented football as America's new favorite past-time. You have to remember that Baseball was popular during a different era, where each household was not furnished with a large-screen high-definition TV. Our culture wasn't quite saturated with media full of action and explosions. Our technology and culture has shifted away from the type of entertainment baseball offers and it doesn't show any signs of reversing itself. UFC is replacing boxing in the same manner.

UFC is only a temporary fix. It will never surpass Boxing or the WWE for that matter. But anyway, based on these special elements of intrigue alone, I would say that the end celebrations and atmosphere of the World Series is better than the Super Bowl. It may have lower ratings in terms of viewership is concerned. But that comes from the decadence of the sport in general.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2011 1:42:40 PM
I don't think many of you were alive and kicking during the hey-day of baseball in the 80s before all the steroids and strike BS hit. It wasn't the same... baseball cards were so popular and valuable that they were much better investments than the stock market. You could buy a good card for $10 one year, and it would go up a few $ per year at least almost without fail (based solely on the players' performance). Once the early 90s hit and the strike happened, cards became worthless overnight as if they were just a big Vanilla Ice fad that we all woke up from. A few years back I had a friend that didn't realize what happened, and had been saving his cards safe and sound, thinking that the prices had continued their trends throughout the last couple of decades. You should have seen his face when we sat down with a Beckett and priced them out.

Baseball is dead. In Star Trek DS9, they actually observed this fact and incorporated it into the plot of the futuristic series; in that story-line, baseball continues to fade in popularity until the early 21st century where the World Series attracts so few fans it is ultimately disbanded. Whether it will be that extreme or not is not yet certain but one thing that is for certain is that the stars of today are pathetic compared to the almost mythical legends of the 20th century. Barry Bonds took a heaping sh*t on the greatest record in the game. Mantle, Wagner, Williams, Cobb... these greats occupy a status that the players of today couldn't reach if they started hitting 100 homeruns a season. I didn't even know Pujols's name until last month and he's supposed to be the games' #1 hitter. A Rod is, I guess, the most prolific player in the game and he could probably walk into a store in any town in America and have a good chance of not being recognized. I wouldn't hesitate to say, as well, that this hispanic surge in talent is another reason why the game isn't as American as applie pie any more. It might sound harsh but the wholesome American fanbase that once worshipped these players now just sees a bunch of greedy and shallow drugged-up Mexican immigrants who were bussed in from some corner of the world instead of being home-grown good white folks who grew up trading baseball cards and chewing gum while watching the former greats from the stands. The last time A-Rod was in the news it was because of a gambling scandal and they were commenting about how good it was that this latest incident didn't involve anything acutely immoral so we should actually celebrate it. I would imagine those greats were corrupted by money in the same fashion but the media was 180 degrees turned from its current position, protecting their image instead of destroying them with it
Rob
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2011 1:49:08 PM
At 11/15/2011 1:42:40 PM, Lasagna wrote:
I don't think many of you were alive and kicking during the hey-day of baseball in the 80s before all the steroids and strike BS hit. It wasn't the same... baseball cards were so popular and valuable that they were much better investments than the stock market. You could buy a good card for $10 one year, and it would go up a few $ per year at least almost without fail (based solely on the players' performance). Once the early 90s hit and the strike happened, cards became worthless overnight as if they were just a big Vanilla Ice fad that we all woke up from. A few years back I had a friend that didn't realize what happened, and had been saving his cards safe and sound, thinking that the prices had continued their trends throughout the last couple of decades. You should have seen his face when we sat down with a Beckett and priced them out.

Baseball is dead. In Star Trek DS9, they actually observed this fact and incorporated it into the plot of the futuristic series; in that story-line, baseball continues to fade in popularity until the early 21st century where the World Series attracts so few fans it is ultimately disbanded. Whether it will be that extreme or not is not yet certain but one thing that is for certain is that the stars of today are pathetic compared to the almost mythical legends of the 20th century. Barry Bonds took a heaping sh*t on the greatest record in the game. Mantle, Wagner, Williams, Cobb... these greats occupy a status that the players of today couldn't reach if they started hitting 100 homeruns a season. I didn't even know Pujols's name until last month and he's supposed to be the games' #1 hitter. A Rod is, I guess, the most prolific player in the game and he could probably walk into a store in any town in America and have a good chance of not being recognized. I wouldn't hesitate to say, as well, that this hispanic surge in talent is another reason why the game isn't as American as applie pie any more. It might sound harsh but the wholesome American fanbase that once worshipped these players now just sees a bunch of greedy and shallow drugged-up Mexican immigrants who were bussed in from some corner of the world instead of being home-grown good white folks who grew up trading baseball cards and chewing gum while watching the former greats from the stands. The last time A-Rod was in the news it was because of a gambling scandal and they were commenting about how good it was that this latest incident didn't involve anything acutely immoral so we should actually celebrate it. I would imagine those greats were corrupted by money in the same fashion but the media was 180 degrees turned from its current position, protecting their image instead of destroying them with it

Yes, you are correct. Baseball is dead.