Jump to topic:

is LSU really that good

DUDE1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2011 1:52:06 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
they are 10-0 but is LSU really that good, they barely beat alabama and are predicted to lose before season's end i dunno guys.
theitalianstallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2011 2:07:09 PM
They are the best team in the country and they will not lose before the SEC championship game. Ole Miss is terrible and although Arkansas is #6 in the nation, its a home game and I don't see LSU dropping that.

I think the better question is who is the best one-loss team in the country. IMO, it is between Oklahoma, Oregon and Alabama; you can leave out all the rest. Alabama's and Oregon's only loss have come against LSU and Oklahoma as been hurt by injuries all year, but now they are healthy.

To me, the best out of those three, is Oregon. They're coming off a win against #4 Stanford, who they crushed. Most will say Alabama "b/c they're in the SEC," but they have played 7 teams with records of .500 or worse; not so strong strength of schedule.
When Reach fell, I came.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2011 2:14:20 PM
Yes. They have the best rush offense, pass rushing yards, red zone defense, quarterback protection, rushing yards totals, and a great field goal kicker.
Not to mention that they are in the SEC.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2011 5:04:44 PM
At 11/15/2011 2:07:09 PM, theitalianstallion wrote:
They are the best team in the country and they will not lose before the SEC championship game. Ole Miss is terrible and although Arkansas is #6 in the nation, its a home game and I don't see LSU dropping that.

I think the better question is who is the best one-loss team in the country. IMO, it is between Oklahoma, Oregon and Alabama; you can leave out all the rest. Alabama's and Oregon's only loss have come against LSU and Oklahoma as been hurt by injuries all year, but now they are healthy.

To me, the best out of those three, is Oregon. They're coming off a win against #4 Stanford, who they crushed. Most will say Alabama "b/c they're in the SEC," but they have played 7 teams with records of .500 or worse; not so strong strength of schedule.

Ryan Broyles out for season.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2011 5:38:09 PM
At 11/15/2011 2:07:09 PM, theitalianstallion wrote:

Question, why is OSU (current #2) not being considered? Remember that Oklahoma will have to go through OSU first (will be a great game). Oklahoma had some great strong wins (beating Florida State, ranked #5 at the time, and 3 other top20 teams), but the loss against Texas Tech (unranked) was just weird, and Oklahoma State CRUSHED Texas Tech last week (it was the score of the devil, 66 - 6). But I think the OSU will pull it out and win (they have a better passing offense and a better rushing offense).

If comparing Alabama and Oregon, I think Oregon is the better team.

First, as mentioned, the Ducks are a momentum team, and they've gotten better as the year has run along. And lets look at each of their games against LSU.

Against the Ducks, LSU had 273 total yards. Against Alabama, they had 239 total yards. That is a 34 yard difference. Now for defenses, Oregon had 335 total yards against LSU, and Alabama had 295 (a 40 yard difference). Oddly enough, in both cases, LSU had fewer yards, yet pulled out the win.

Against Oregon, it was completely due to turn overs (4 turnovers to LSU's 1). Oregon has gotten that mostly fixed, over the last 4 games, they only have 5 turnovers to 11 takeaways (and for 2 of those games, they had a backup QB and a backup RB).

I think there may be a chance that Oregon jumps Alabama next week (or greatly catches up, they are pretty far back as far as points go). Oregon faces USC, who is 8-2. While Alabama's opponent is 9-1, it is against the Southern confrence, which is one of those auto win confrences that they don't even bother keeping stats for (yes, I know my Beavers lost a game to one of those school, don't remind me), so beating them does not help their cause. And any mis-steps, fumbles or picks, are going to look extra bad. Their game against Auburn is the remaining test, and they are only 6-4 (going to 7-4 at the time they face Alabama).

Oregon will also play in the new Pac-12 championship game, whereas Alabama will not get to play in theirs.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
theitalianstallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2011 7:03:45 PM
At 11/15/2011 5:38:09 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Question, why is OSU (current #2) not being considered? Remember that Oklahoma will have to go through OSU first (will be a great game). Oklahoma had some great strong wins (beating Florida State, ranked #5 at the time, and 3 other top20 teams), but the loss against Texas Tech (unranked) was just weird, and Oklahoma State CRUSHED Texas Tech last week (it was the score of the devil, 66 - 6). But I think the OSU will pull it out and win (they have a better passing offense and a better rushing offense).

First, as mentioned, the Ducks are a momentum team, and they've gotten better as the year has run along. And lets look at each of their games against LSU.

Against the Ducks, LSU had 273 total yards. Against Alabama, they had 239 total yards. That is a 34 yard difference. Now for defenses, Oregon had 335 total yards against LSU, and Alabama had 295 (a 40 yard difference). Oddly enough, in both cases, LSU had fewer yards, yet pulled out the win.

Against Oregon, it was completely due to turn overs (4 turnovers to LSU's 1). Oregon has gotten that mostly fixed, over the last 4 games, they only have 5 turnovers to 11 takeaways (and for 2 of those games, they had a backup QB and a backup RB).

I think there may be a chance that Oregon jumps Alabama next week (or greatly catches up, they are pretty far back as far as points go). Oregon faces USC, who is 8-2. While Alabama's opponent is 9-1, it is against the Southern confrence, which is one of those auto win confrences that they don't even bother keeping stats for (yes, I know my Beavers lost a game to one of those school, don't remind me), so beating them does not help their cause. And any mis-steps, fumbles or picks, are going to look extra bad. Their game against Auburn is the remaining test, and they are only 6-4 (going to 7-4 at the time they face Alabama).

Oregon will also play in the new Pac-12 championship game, whereas Alabama will not get to play in theirs.

I did not mention Oklahoma State because I was just looking at the one loss teams. I do think, that right now, they are the second best team in the country. I can't wait for their date with Oklahoma.

Also, The Big Ten has no shot a the National Championship Game, but they may very well get two teams into the BCS. The conference champion will go to the Rose Bowl and a Nebraska or Michigan team from the leaders division will be very attractive for an at large bid, assuming that Michigan State plays in the B1G championship game.
When Reach fell, I came.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2011 7:53:15 PM
Ok State is really good, but I'm not sure if they're the 2nd best team in the country. Their defense gave up 42, at home, to a team with no passing game. If they play LSU they may have trouble when their offense isn't able to score every drive.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 10:05:18 AM
At 11/15/2011 7:03:45 PM, theitalianstallion wrote:
At 11/15/2011 5:38:09 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I did not mention Oklahoma State because I was just looking at the one loss teams. I do think, that right now, they are the second best team in the country. I can't wait for their date with Oklahoma.

Also, The Big Ten has no shot a the National Championship Game, but they may very well get two teams into the BCS. The conference champion will go to the Rose Bowl and a Nebraska or Michigan team from the leaders division will be very attractive for an at large bid, assuming that Michigan State plays in the B1G championship game.

If #2 OSU beats #5 Oklahoma, I cannot see them NOT going to the championship game.
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/16/2011 10:29:51 AM
At 11/15/2011 7:53:15 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Ok State is really good, but I'm not sure if they're the 2nd best team in the country. Their defense gave up 42, at home, to a team with no passing game. If they play LSU they may have trouble when their offense isn't able to score every drive.

Actually, their defense gave up 38 (1 TD was a pick off return). It also didn't help that this was a fast paced game against the defence. Kansas State had a total of 90 offensive plays (when LSU played Alabama, Al only had 60 offensive plays). In the LSU v Alabama, Alabama averaged 4.92 yards per play. In OSU v KS, KS averaged 5.63 yards per play. And given that LSU (36.5 point per game) and KS (35.0 points per game) score about the same (the only difference being LSU has a MUCH better defense), it doesn't seem that it will be too different.

You can't tell me you don't want to see the #2 offense go against the #2 defense. Those are the best clashes there are. Great offenses vs great offenses are okay, and great defenses vs great defenses are boring as hell, but you need the clash.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/21/2011 12:21:43 PM
At 11/16/2011 10:29:51 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 11/15/2011 7:53:15 PM, BlackVoid wrote:

Actually, their defense gave up 38 (1 TD was a pick off return). It also didn't help that this was a fast paced game against the defence. Kansas State had a total of 90 offensive plays (when LSU played Alabama, Al only had 60 offensive plays). In the LSU v Alabama, Alabama averaged 4.92 yards per play. In OSU v KS, KS averaged 5.63 yards per play. And given that LSU (36.5 point per game) and KS (35.0 points per game) score about the same (the only difference being LSU has a MUCH better defense), it doesn't seem that it will be too different.

You can't tell me you don't want to see the #2 offense go against the #2 defense. Those are the best clashes there are. Great offenses vs great offenses are okay, and great defenses vs great defenses are boring as hell, but you need the clash.

Oklahoma State just lost a game. LSU is way better because of their defense and offensive drives. They have one of the best field goal kickers in the game.
And their coaching staff is one of the elites. They will win the NCAA title.