Jump to topic:

Interesting storyline to Thanksgiving game

Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 1:51:05 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Last year at around this time, the Packers played the Lions and suffered their worst loss of the season, scoring only 3 points. Rodgers was knocked out, the offensive line was man-handled by Suh and the Lions, and their playoff hopes were dashed (it was believed they would have to make a three-game run to make it, and that was against NE, NYG, & CHI). Rodgers was going to be missing one if not more of those games.

The week after, the Packers almost beat the Patriots because they were unable to finish the final drive due to Flynn's complete inability to handle a hurry-up offense. It was a moral victory of sorts, and the next week Rodgers came back as if they had replaced his body with that of a T-100 during his week off.

If Rodgers somehow shows some humanity and loses a game some day, this will be the one. The Lions are proud to be the last team that beat Rodgers. They are built as though someone created them just to destroy him, with a d-line that can get to him without blitzing and a good rush defense to stop him from scrambling. The Packers got banged up last week; Starks is out for the first time since the playoffs and Jennings' knee bruise might allow them to concentrate on shutting down Jordy.

The Lions are playing at home and that means more on a short week. The fans will be fanatical at Ford Field and to them it is going to be the Super Bowl. There has been drama (and a petition) about the concert at halftime because Nickleback isn't a native Detroitan. For a Lions fan, player, or administrator, everything has been leading up to this. While the Detroit natives are eating their plump hens, they will be salivating more over the plump hen that is the Packers' 10-0 record, the virginity of which has not yet been compromised.

The 49ers/Ravens game is also interesting, since it will be the the first time in history brothers have faced off as head-coaches in the NFL.
Rob
tornshoe92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/23/2011 8:51:16 PM
My entire family is having a Packers watching party tomorrow with Packers garb being mandatory for entrance, including my sister's fiance (who's a GIANT Cowboys fan). I'm pretty excited for what should be the most exciting game for the Pack with the possible exception of the first game against the Saints.
"Next time I see a little old lady going to church I am going kick her in the ovaries because she is personally responsible for this. Thanks Izbo." -C_N
tornshoe92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2011 6:00:58 PM
Ndamukong Who?
"Next time I see a little old lady going to church I am going kick her in the ovaries because she is personally responsible for this. Thanks Izbo." -C_N
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/24/2011 9:17:54 PM
At 11/24/2011 6:48:02 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Suh deserves at least a 3 game suspension. Thats just ridiculous.

Dude. It was totally innocent; Suh was just trying to regain his balance.
Rob
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 5:05:10 PM
At 11/24/2011 9:17:54 PM, Lasagna wrote:

I didn't see this play lol someone link it to me...?

Anyway, Rob, the OP was really well-written. You made some great points :)
President of DDO
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 5:14:15 PM
At 11/26/2011 5:05:10 PM, Danielle wrote:

I didn't see this play lol someone link it to me...?

Anyway, Rob, the OP was really well-written. You made some great points :)

Thanks Danielle! I am a little perplexed that you haven't heard about this play... It would be the equivalent of watching SB 42 and missing the throw from Manning to Tyree LOLJK. I have heard so much "analysis" and read so many articles about it in the past 3 days that it is quite ridiculous. It's all anyone wants to talk about.

Anyway, Suh stomped him, then kept being a baby like he usually is (yelling at everybody, denying it, playing the victim) and now someone has finally gotten him to issue an apology. While the Lions were able to play victims up until now, with lots of defense coming in from other players and sports writers, they have now completely stigmatized themselves. Schwartz is the dirtiest coach in the NFL, Suh is the dirtiest player in the NFL, and the Lions are the most immature team (is what everyone is saying). Not ready for prime time, they are.
Rob
MasterKage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 9:02:57 PM

It was totally on purpose, the guy bashed his head a few times then kicked him.
If I will in control, he would be benched and unless he had another contract he would not be signed on again.
This signature is full of timey wimey wibbly wobbly stuff...
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/26/2011 11:07:44 PM
At 11/26/2011 9:02:57 PM, MasterKage wrote:

It was totally on purpose, the guy bashed his head a few times then kicked him.
If I will in control, he would be benched and unless he had another contract he would not be signed on again.

He's way to dominant a player to justify that. Suh, Schwartz, Stafford, and Johnson make up the star-power on that team and unfortunately they know it. They are all that shlt team has going for it and that city is too desperate to let them go. The smart move is to bench him for a game but he'll be suspended anyway. Middle-America just saw Suh come on some cheesy commercial and tell everyone to enjoy their holiday food, and then right after that cleat-stomp a player lying on his back who didn't seem to be putting up much of a fight. The venue couldn't have been worse to pull that on, and after being voted dirtiest player in the league and having a clear record of abusing both the rules and the referee staff, I don't think the league has any choice but to throw the book at him and make him an example.

Football is just as much about penalties as it is about offense, defense, and special teams. Suh was almost surely intentionally provoked, but that's a legitimate football strategy. Suh gets frustrated easily and that gets used against him.
Rob