Jump to topic:

New York, New York

UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2011 9:13:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I think that the Jets are going to make it in, and not the Giants. Why? The Jets are in the inside and trying to stay there while the Giants are on the outside looking in.

The Jets have a pretty poor offense (21st passing, 21st running) while they have a pretty good, duh, defense (7th against the pass, 16th against the run) but is not the super-awsome defense that it was, and will be, hyped about.

The Giants have a great passing attack but a truly terrible rushing attack (3rd/32nd, respectively); they also have an uncharacteristically bad defense (29th against the pass, 22nd against the run)

I do not know the injury situation with either team, so I cannot comment on that.

Also: does it seem like a terrible rushing team makes it to the Superbowl EVERY SINGLE YEAR? This may be the Giant's ray of hope, ironically.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2011 1:19:53 AM
I picked the Giants to win the game and it came as no shock to me when they did. I love both teams, but going into the season I felt both were significantly overrated (especially the Jets). I have no idea why the Jets were given so much credit or credibility. The only thing they have going for them is their defense, but even that has not been stellar (though above average). Mark Sanchez is as pretty as Tom Brady but his QB skills certainly aren't.

I admit that the Giants have exceeded my expectations. I would have loved to see what they may have accomplished if their entire team were healthy. The defense could use some work, though Tuck has been consistent. Eli Manning has actually been pretty great this season, thanks in part to breakout star Victor Cruz.

I disagree that the Jets are on the "inside" considering the Bengals are actually 1 game ahead of them in pursuit of the WC (the other spot will go to either Baltimore or Pittsburgh). The Jets can only make it to the Playoffs if the Bengals lose to the Ravens (likely), the Titans lose to the Texans (likely), and either the Raiders must lose to the Chargers (maybe) or the Broncos must lose to the Chiefs (maybe... probably). I do think the Jets are better than all of these other teams, but I don't think the Jets (or any of them) are capable of beating the better AFC teams in the Playoffs, so this is a moot point anyway.

Meanwhile the Giants still have the opportunity to win their division if they beat the Cowboys next week. I personally think they can do it, and it's their only shot at making the Playoffs. The difference between the Giants and Jets is that I do think the Giants could beat other teams in the Playoffs, whereas I don't think the Jets can. Obviously I will be happy if both teams make it :) I believe the Giants stand a better shot at being successful in the post-season.

While I think Green Bay, New Orleans and San Francisco are all better teams than the G-Men (and probably the Falcons too, though not the Lions IMO - well not anymore), with the Giants you just never friggin know what to expect. They were inches away from beating Green Bay recently. When they won the Superbowl in 07, they came out of nowhere and dismantled the Patriots. I mean with them I dunno if it's luck or what (though luck is nothing but preparation meeting opportunity, so who knows...).
President of DDO
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2011 8:22:58 PM
At 12/26/2011 1:19:53 AM, Danielle wrote:
I picked the Giants to win the game and it came as no shock to me when they did. I love both teams, but going into the season I felt both were significantly overrated (especially the Jets). I have no idea why the Jets were given so much credit or credibility. The only thing they have going for them is their defense, but even that has not been stellar (though above average). Mark Sanchez is as pretty as Tom Brady but his QB skills certainly aren't.

The Jets are always overrated.

I admit that the Giants have exceeded my expectations. I would have loved to see what they may have accomplished if their entire team were healthy. The defense could use some work, though Tuck has been consistent. Eli Manning has actually been pretty great this season, thanks in part to breakout star Victor Cruz.

Yes, but Victor has dropped a lot of balls... and basically fumbled to give my Seahawks the win that day. : )

I disagree that the Jets are on the "inside" considering the Bengals are actually 1 game ahead of them in pursuit of the WC (the other spot will go to either Baltimore or Pittsburgh). The Jets can only make it to the Playoffs if the Bengals lose to the Ravens (likely), the Titans lose to the Texans (likely), and either the Raiders must lose to the Chargers (maybe) or the Broncos must lose to the Chiefs (maybe... probably). I do think the Jets are better than all of these other teams, but I don't think the Jets (or any of them) are capable of beating the better AFC teams in the Playoffs, so this is a moot point anyway.

I said that they were inside as in, if the playoffs started then, they would have been in the wildcard.

Meanwhile the Giants still have the opportunity to win their division if they beat the Cowboys next week. I personally think they can do it, and it's their only shot at making the Playoffs. The difference between the Giants and Jets is that I do think the Giants could beat other teams in the Playoffs, whereas I don't think the Jets can. Obviously I will be happy if both teams make it :) I believe the Giants stand a better shot at being successful in the post-season.

With a traditionally bad defense, Tuck aside, I have to scratch my head about the Giant's ability to win.

While I think Green Bay, New Orleans and San Francisco are all better teams than the G-Men (and probably the Falcons too, though not the Lions IMO - well not anymore), with the Giants you just never friggin know what to expect. They were inches away from beating Green Bay recently. When they won the Superbowl in 07, they came out of nowhere and dismantled the Patriots. I mean with them I dunno if it's luck or what (though luck is nothing but preparation meeting opportunity, so who knows...).

In my recollection, that year the SB was pretty close.