Jump to topic:

Lions in the Playoffs

tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2011 4:35:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
From 0-16 three years ago to playoffs this year. What does everyone think?
Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. - President Obama
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/26/2011 5:20:37 PM
They drafted really, really well. Which demonstrates the best way, and most reliable way, to get to the championship is through the ability to draft. You might be able to build "dream teams" through free agency, but they may crash and burn. You may have some really, really bad seasons (the lion's perfect season) but it is a reliable-or semi-reliable (if you do not draft well, which happens)-way to get to the top. I believe that the best investment in a club's future is the scouting.

However, the Lions are not going to the Super Bowl. They need a better pass defense, running game, and of course, experience. But they are getting there. They have potential.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2011 9:07:29 AM
I noticed that most of the "experts" are picking Detroit to win over GB this Sunday, despite McCarthy's bold statement: "we don't play scared football." I started wondering: what do Detroit and Atlanta have to play for anyway? They are both locked at this point.

Then it hit me: the #6 seed will have perhaps the toughest playoff schedule one could imagine. Look at it from Detroit's perspective:

Week 17: @ Green Bay
WC Round: @ New Orleans
Div Round: @ Green Bay
Ch Round: @ San Francisco (or perhaps NY, Dal, or Atl, but that's doubtful).
SuperBowl: vs. Patriots, Steelers, or Ravens (most likely).

Detroit could, with some big help from a non-existent Tampa Bay team, defeat Green Bay while they are relaxing and head to a very-beatable New York team or Dallas, where they have already won this year. If Atlanta beats the bucs and Detroit doesn't take this one away, they will be as good as dead.

From McCarthy's perspective, I wonder if they don't actually want the Lions to take it. That way, New Orleans doesn't continue handling the Falcos like they have been doing all year with ease; they face a dynamic, unpredictable Detroit team that can get to Brees and score on their shaky defense. Detroit's secondary would be screwed, but that's not a given if that front four can do some damage.

In that scenario, Green Bay could hypothetically end up hosting the Falcons, which seem to have no ability to match up with either the Pack or the Saints. I think McCarthy should rest the starters and let Detroit head to New Orleans in 2.5 weeks as the best chance to upset the red-hot Saints.
Rob