Jump to topic:

NFL Playoff Predictions

UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2011 9:18:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Yes it is that time of year, when the weather is colder, the analyzers are analyzing, the fans more deranged, and the non-football fans are scratching their heads more often.

Yes, it is the NFL playoff time! Besides the Giants, Cowboys, Raiders, Titans, Jets, and Broncos, we all know what teams are heading to the postseason winners and loosers. This means that armies of certified "experts" are hypothosizing over every playoff-bound team, and guessing which teams are headed to the big show. They are:

Packers
49ers
Saints
Lions
Falcons
Patriots
Ravens
Steelers

Here is how I see the playoffs seeded:
NFC
1st seed--Packers
2nd seed--49ers
3rd seed--Saints
4th seed--Cowboys
5th seed--Falcons
6th seed--Lions
AFC
1st seed--Patriots
2nd seed--Steelers
3rd seed--Texans
4th seed--Broncos
5th seed--Ravens
6th seed--Bengals

Here is how I predict the playoffs will go:
NFC
DET@NO
I believe the Saint's passing attack, blostered by it's experience in the playoffs and it's being in the Superdome, defeat the Lions pretty well, but not before the Saint's rushing attack stops working in the second half along with the Lions putting up some points of their own. 35-24 NO

ATL@DAL
After a rough game at the Meadowlands, where Tony Romo injures his hand, again, the Cowboys go into Atlanta and have their passing D torn up. America's team (yuck) don't go down without a fight, though and make a last minute rally that--fails. 30-26 ATL

NO@GB
The two best quarterbacks in the league come into this game ready to out-gun the other one, in this Week 1 rematch. The cold and the Lambeu ghosts get to the Saints, but not before Darren Sproles makes a pretty neat run into the endzone. 45-37 NO

ATL@SF
Two teams rather new to the playoffs converge on a stadium that's not new to it. Matt Ryan does not have a field day, and Frank Gore dosen't either. Defense does not exactly rule this game, but it is certainly one of the most low-scoring for this NFC postseason. This game is decided by a field goal. That's blocked. 24-14 SF

NO@SF
Niners fans are relieved when they don't have to face the Packers. They are also relieved by the fact that there is absolutely no successful running by the Saints offense. They are annoyed, however, but the reincarnation of Joe Montana--they realize it's on their opposing team. 34-17 NO

AFC
CIN@HOU
Rookie QB meets Rookie QB in Reliant Stadium's first ever playoff game. The Texans get off to a good start, and Andy Dalton is disconnected with AJ Greene. But there is a tradition this year in Houston that no fan likes to talk about: that tradition is the QB getting injured. With little leadership on Houston's side, Cincinnati stages a marvelous comeback. 21-20 CIN

BAL@DEN
Although Tebow gets enough buzz around him to create an entire MLS division, he feels the Raven's New Year resolution: No More Tebow Time. 37-10 BAL

CIN@NE
This game starts off a shootout; Tom Brady and Andy Dalton both have pretty good days. But then the second half comes, and with it, the Patriot's confidence and experience surges through the team. This game ends with something that Bengals do not want to see: Chad Ochocinco dancing in the endzone. 34-29 NE

BAL@PIT
There is a decided lack of discipline in this game; both teams want to tear each other apart. Pittsburg gets off to the early lead, lead by Ben Roethlisberger. But, after James Harrison is ejected from the game and Joe Flacco gets on a hot streak, the game ends on a Big Ben throw that is... intercepted by Ed Reed. 14-13 BAL

BAL@NE
They say that defense wins championships. In this case, it is sort of true. Bad defense loses the AFC championship, and the Ravens pretty much control this game from the kickoff on. 29-10 BAL

PRO BOWL
Who cares?

SUPER BOWL
NO@BAL
Drew Brees & Co. certainly try to replicate their success against their previous Super Bowl appearance, and for the first half it certainly seems like that. But, after halftime, Baltimore goes into lockdown mode. Brees seemingly cannot complete a pass over 5 yards, and the running game cannot seem to get a foothold. The Baltimore offense, however, shreds the Saint's passing defense and comes back to stun everybody. With another Ed Reed pick six. 34-30 BAL

Thoughts? Opinions? Your own projections?
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 7:33:59 AM
At 12/31/2011 9:52:06 PM, Lasagna wrote:
The Saints lost to the worst playoff team in history last year. Just saying.

But they were MY worst playoff team in history.
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 1:38:19 PM
I'm sorry but you can't go to Candlestick park and beat the 49ers.7-1 this year at home and that one loss was in overtime. You don't believe that? Ask Big Ben. Aldon smith dry humped him all over the field. I'm sorry but the best defense in the NFC playoffs will NOT lose at home
Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 1:45:43 PM
At 1/1/2012 1:38:19 PM, MarquisX wrote:
I'm sorry but you can't go to Candlestick park and beat the 49ers.7-1 this year at home and that one loss was in overtime. You don't believe that? Ask Big Ben. Aldon smith dry humped him all over the field. I'm sorry but the best defense in the NFC playoffs will NOT lose at home

Seven... and one. If anybody can beat the Niners, it would be either the Saints or the Packers, both have really good passing games, and do not really depend on their running game. This is important because San Francisco has a great run defense, no doubt about that, but they have an average pass D, 17th in the league. And guess who beat the Niners at home? The flipping Arizona Cardinals.
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 5:46:34 PM
At 1/1/2012 1:45:43 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:

Seven... and one. If anybody can beat the Niners, it would be either the Saints or the Packers, both have really good passing games, and do not really depend on their running game. This is important because San Francisco has a great run defense, no doubt about that, but they have an average pass D, 17th in the league. And guess who beat the Niners at home? The flipping Arizona Cardinals.

Yeah an average pass D but the best scoring D in the league. First team to not allow the Steelers to score a TD in two years. Not to mention the best turnover ratio. And guess who beat the Saints at home? Tampa bay Buccaneers. Oh what's that? They also lost to the 2-14 rams?! Fact is Saints are terrible when they're the away team.

P.S Did Backup Matt Flynn just out pass Aaron Rodgers against a playoff team?!?!
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 7:15:22 PM
At 1/1/2012 5:46:34 PM, MarquisX wrote:
At 1/1/2012 1:45:43 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:

Yeah an average pass D but the best scoring D in the league. First team to not allow the Steelers to score a TD in two years. Not to mention the best turnover ratio. And guess who beat the Saints at home? Tampa bay Buccaneers. Oh what's that? They also lost to the 2-14 rams?! Fact is Saints are terrible when they're the away team.

But the biggest challenge the Packers had faced up until their meltdown against the Chiefs, were the visiting Saints.

P.S Did Backup Matt Flynn just out pass Aaron Rodgers against a playoff team?!?!

I want that guy on my team!
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 12:53:43 PM
A few weeks ago everyone (the experts) were saying the Cowboys would win the NFC East, and I said nay nay! Well... told ya! Anyway, I think we all kinda know what to expect. The Playoffs are questionable but we all presume Green Bay and Baltimore or Pitt will go to the Superbowl. I'd prefer to see Pittsburgh because I think it'd be a better game, even though I like the Ravens more.
President of DDO
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 10:51:19 PM
At 1/1/2012 10:09:59 PM, Lasagna wrote:
Packers can't get sh*t for Flynn next year because he's a free agent.

Flynn is going to be in the NFC west next year. Cards would have been a playoff team if they had a qb and the rams had their third string limp off the field and not return Sunday.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/2/2012 10:57:45 PM
At 1/2/2012 10:51:19 PM, MarquisX wrote:
At 1/1/2012 10:09:59 PM, Lasagna wrote:
Packers can't get sh*t for Flynn next year because he's a free agent.

Flynn is going to be in the NFC west next year. Cards would have been a playoff team if they had a qb and the rams had their third string limp off the field and not return Sunday.

I think Kolb has another season in him personally.
Rob
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 9:09:10 AM
At 12/31/2011 9:18:32 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
Yes it is that time of year, when the weather is colder, the analyzers are analyzing, the fans more deranged, and the non-football fans are scratching their heads more often.

Yes, it is the NFL playoff time! Besides the Giants, Cowboys, Raiders, Titans, Jets, and Broncos, we all know what teams are heading to the postseason winners and loosers. This means that armies of certified "experts" are hypothosizing over every playoff-bound team, and guessing which teams are headed to the big show. They are:

Packers
49ers
Saints
Lions
Falcons
Patriots
Ravens
Steelers

NFC
1st seed--Packers
2nd seed--49ers
3rd seed--Saints
4th seed--Cowboys
5th seed--Falcons
6th seed--Lions
AFC
1st seed--Patriots
2nd seed--Steelers
3rd seed--Texans
4th seed--Broncos
5th seed--Ravens
6th seed--Bengals

NFC
DET@NO
I believe the Saint's passing attack, blostered by it's experience in the playoffs and it's being in the Superdome, defeat the Lions pretty well, but not before the Saint's rushing attack stops working in the second half along with the Lions putting up some points of their own. 35-24 NO

ATL@DAL
After a rough game at the Meadowlands, where Tony Romo injures his hand, again, the Cowboys go into Atlanta and have their passing D torn up. America's team (yuck) don't go down without a fight, though and make a last minute rally that--fails. 30-26 ATL

NO@GB
The two best quarterbacks in the league come into this game ready to out-gun the other one, in this Week 1 rematch. The cold and the Lambeu ghosts get to the Saints, but not before Darren Sproles makes a pretty neat run into the endzone. 45-37 NO

ATL@SF
Two teams rather new to the playoffs converge on a stadium that's not new to it. Matt Ryan does not have a field day, and Frank Gore dosen't either. Defense does not exactly rule this game, but it is certainly one of the most low-scoring for this NFC postseason. This game is decided by a field goal. That's blocked. 24-14 SF

NO@SF
Niners fans are relieved when they don't have to face the Packers. They are also relieved by the fact that there is absolutely no successful running by the Saints offense. They are annoyed, however, but the reincarnation of Joe Montana--they realize it's on their opposing team. 34-17 NO

AFC
CIN@HOU
Rookie QB meets Rookie QB in Reliant Stadium's first ever playoff game. The Texans get off to a good start, and Andy Dalton is disconnected with AJ Greene. But there is a tradition this year in Houston that no fan likes to talk about: that tradition is the QB getting injured. With little leadership on Houston's side, Cincinnati stages a marvelous comeback. 21-20 CIN

BAL@DEN
Although Tebow gets enough buzz around him to create an entire MLS division, he feels the Raven's New Year resolution: No More Tebow Time. 37-10 BAL

CIN@NE
This game starts off a shootout; Tom Brady and Andy Dalton both have pretty good days. But then the second half comes, and with it, the Patriot's confidence and experience surges through the team. This game ends with something that Bengals do not want to see: Chad Ochocinco dancing in the endzone. 34-29 NE

BAL@PIT
There is a decided lack of discipline in this game; both teams want to tear each other apart. Pittsburg gets off to the early lead, lead by Ben Roethlisberger. But, after James Harrison is ejected from the game and Joe Flacco gets on a hot streak, the game ends on a Big Ben throw that is... intercepted by Ed Reed. 14-13 BAL

BAL@NE
They say that defense wins championships. In this case, it is sort of true. Bad defense loses the AFC championship, and the Ravens pretty much control this game from the kickoff on. 29-10 BAL

PRO BOWL
Who cares?

SUPER BOWL
NO@BAL
Drew Brees & Co. certainly try to replicate their success against their previous Super Bowl appearance, and for the first half it certainly seems like that. But, after halftime, Baltimore goes into lockdown mode. Brees seemingly cannot complete a pass over 5 yards, and the running game cannot seem to get a foothold. The Baltimore offense, however, shreds the Saint's passing defense and comes back to stun everybody. With another Ed Reed pick six. 34-30 BAL

Predicitions ? Who are you kidding. I got Packers and Patriots in the Super Bowl.
Packs might pull and upset again this year.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 12:37:53 PM
At 1/9/2012 9:09:10 AM, inferno wrote:
At 12/31/2011 9:18:32 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:

Packers
49ers
Saints
Lions
Falcons
Patriots
Ravens
Steelers

NFC
1st seed--Packers
2nd seed--49ers
3rd seed--Saints
4th seed--Cowboys
5th seed--Falcons
6th seed--Lions
AFC
1st seed--Patriots
2nd seed--Steelers
3rd seed--Texans
4th seed--Broncos
5th seed--Ravens
6th seed--Bengals

NFC
DET@NO

ATL@DAL

NO@GB

ATL@SF

NO@SF

AFC
CIN@HOU

BAL@DEN

CIN@NE

BAL@PIT

BAL@NE

PRO BOWL
Who cares?

SUPER BOWL
NO@BAL

Predicitions ? Who are you kidding. I got Packers and Patriots in the Super Bowl.
Packs might pull and upset again this year.

As the great LL Cool J once said: "Don't call it a comeback - we been here for years."
Rob
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 1:53:08 PM
At 1/8/2012 11:52:18 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Denver Broncos 2012 Super Bowl Champions.

If that happens, I'll revert back to Christianity.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 2:55:50 PM
At 1/8/2012 11:52:18 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Denver Broncos 2012 Super Bowl Champions.

Ha, ha, ha. This one actually made me laugh. Ha, ha, ha.
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2012 1:59:57 AM
NY Beats GreenBay
SF beats NO
NE BETTER bear DENVER (Tired of this Tebow crap)
Baltimore beats Houston

SF beats NY
NE beats Baltimore

SF beats NE Superbowl
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2012 2:36:51 AM
Do you remember how you felt, the first day of school? The weird nervous/excited? that's how i feel about this Saturday man. Can defense still win championships? I'm going over all stat points. The saints are a beast offensively but this whole year they haven't faced anybody with a top ten defense. Now they face Number one in the NFC.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2012 8:29:05 PM
At 1/10/2012 1:59:57 AM, Loserboi wrote:
NY Beats GreenBay
SF beats NO
Baltimore beats Houston

SF beats NY
NE beats Baltimore

SF beats NE Superbowl

Kind of coincidental that we both foresee our own teams winning out...
Rob
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 5:01:05 AM
At 1/10/2012 8:29:05 PM, Lasagna wrote:
NY Beats GreenBay
SF beats NO
Baltimore beats Houston

SF beats NY
NE beats Baltimore

SF beats NE Superbowl

What can i say? I believe defense wins championships hahaha

I change my decision, I say Texans upset Ravens
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 9:30:15 AM
At 1/13/2012 5:01:05 AM, Loserboi wrote:
NY Beats GreenBay
SF beats NO
Baltimore beats Houston

SF beats NY
NE beats Baltimore

SF beats NE Superbowl

If the Packers can do it this year, the maxim "defense wins championships" will be weakening fast, especially combined with the '09 Saints and the '10 Packers. These were offense-driven teams.
Rob
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 9:05:38 PM
At 1/13/2012 9:30:15 AM, Lasagna wrote:
NY Beats GreenBay
SF beats NO
Baltimore beats Houston

SF beats NY
NE beats Baltimore

SF beats NE Superbowl

If the Packers can do it this year, the maxim "defense wins championships" will be weakening fast, especially combined with the '09 Saints and the '10 Packers. These were offense-driven teams.

The 10 packers had a really good defense
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 10:14:42 PM
At 1/13/2012 9:05:38 PM, Loserboi wrote:
NY Beats GreenBay
SF beats NO
Baltimore beats Houston

SF beats NY
NE beats Baltimore

SF beats NE Superbowl

This, and the Saints 09 defense was a turnover machine.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 2:46:03 AM
At 1/13/2012 10:14:42 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
At 1/13/2012 9:05:38 PM, Loserboi wrote:
NY Beats GreenBay
SF beats NO
Baltimore beats Houston

SF beats NY
NE beats Baltimore

SF beats NE Superbowl

This, and the Saints 09 defense was a turnover machine.

This begs the question: "how good is the Packers' defense?" They give up lots of passing yards every game, but they are stout in the red zone and usually handle the run well when they need to. The 49ers are usually praised as a great defense, but when you look at the turnovers, the Packers are just as good:
Interceptions: Packers (31), 49ers (23), Patriots (23), New Orleans (9)
Fumble recoveries: Packers (7), 49ers (15), New England (11), New Orleans (7)

If you measure total turnovers, San Fran has only a slight edge (+28 to +24) over Green Bay, while New England is +17 and New Orleans is -3.

The difference here is that the 49ers are the only team that doesn't have an elite offense, and the Saints are the only team without an elite defense (at least in terms of turnovers). Packers/Patriots in the Superbowl.
Rob
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 4:51:31 AM
They're good at getting turnovers but San Fran doesn't turn the ball over. And there's no way Packers are an "elite defense" just because they can cause turnovers. That's like me saying the niners are elite for NOT turning the ball over. If the saints beat us, then I'm sure they're going to put a hurting on the packs. Assuming they can beat the Giants. New York is fired up man. And i hate the fact that because Alex Smith hasn't thrown for 5,000 yards that somehow makes the entire offense garbage. The Inconvenient Truth is rested up, his legs are fine. King Crab is a YAC beast and is almost impossible to tackle in open field. VD is going to cause major problems in the red zone.....The niners are not in the playoffs by mistake. They are an elite team.