Jump to topic:

Mixed Martial Arts

TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2009 1:03:27 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I can't believe this topic hasn't been started yet. Anyone here a fellow die-hard MMA fan?!

If you are name your favorite fighter(s), or just talk about the awesomeness of MMA, whatever you want.
patsox834
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2009 1:28:19 PM
Let's see...favorites:

Georges St. Pierre, Forrest Griffin, Clay Guida, Anderson Silva, Ryan Badar, Keith Jardine, and a few more who I can't remember.

UFC 100 results:

Lesnar vs. Mir -- I'm going with Frank Mir. Sure, Lesnar has been training in countering submissions -- but it's a completely different ballgame when you're in there with one of the best heavyweight submission fighters of all time.

GSP vs. Alves -- St. Pierre can't be stopped. He has out-wrestled and completely destroyed Jon Fitch and B.J. Penn -- Alves might be a good take down stuffer, but he isn't as good stuffing take downs as Fitch nor Penn. St. Pierre will completely control the fight; he can take Alves, and any welterweight, down at will.

Bisping vs. Henderson -- simply put, I'm just not sure if Bisping can handle the grappling and wrestling of Dan Henderson. Bisping is gonna need to keep his distance and keep his jab strong, so he can set Henderson up for a big shot -- Henderson knows all that, though, and is probably gonna suffocate Bisping with the clinch game. So yeah, I'm taking Henderson.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/29/2009 9:04:15 PM
I love MMA. I watch every single UFC PPV with my friends.

UFC 100:

Lesnar vs. Mir
I'm rooting for Mir because I hate Brock Lesnar with a passion. But Brock is prob gunna win by being an animal. The bell will ring and he will immediately go for a takedown, get it, and then go donkey kong on Mir's face. He's not gunna fall into a stupid submission trap this time. Unless Mir keeps Brock standing, he will lose.

GSP vs. Alves
Alves is a pretty heavy underdog, but I'm taking him FTW. I think as long as Alves can stuff GSP's takedowns and keep him standing, he can win. Alves will hopefully be able to get a TKO after some Muay Thai knees to GSP's face.

Bisbing vs. Henderson
This will be a snoozefest. Henderson will win by decision after butt-humping Bisbing for 3 rounds.
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/4/2009 12:30:19 AM
Lesnar vs. Mir -- I'm going with Frank Mir. Sure, Lesnar has been training in countering submissions -- but it's a completely different ballgame when you're in there with one of the best heavyweight submission fighters of all time.

GSP vs. Alves -- St. Pierre can't be stopped. He has out-wrestled and completely destroyed Jon Fitch and B.J. Penn -- Alves might be a good take down stuffer, but he isn't as good stuffing take downs as Fitch nor Penn. St. Pierre will completely control the fight; he can take Alves, and any welterweight, down at will.

Bisping vs. Henderson -- simply put, I'm just not sure if Bisping can handle the grappling and wrestling of Dan Henderson. Bisping is gonna need to keep his distance and keep his jab strong, so he can set Henderson up for a big shot -- Henderson knows all that, though, and is probably gonna suffocate Bisping with the clinch game. So yeah, I'm taking Henderson.

I agree with your predictions 100%!

Mir is a submission monster, which is especially unique given his weight class. Even though Brock will be training for countering this, I don't think he can catch up to Mir's level. That, and the fact that Mir's standup is phenomenal after his last fight with Nogueira.

GSP is unstoppable. Even though Alves is good at stopping takedowns, GSP certainly has took down opponents who -- I would say -- are better than Alves at it. And the remarkable thing is that GSP did it with ease. Just look at the fight against BJ Penn and Fith; he tore them apart.

I have to say I'm going with Henderson :). He's got the experience, the chin, and the wrestling.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2009 9:44:32 PM
Bisbing vs. Henderson
--I knew Hendo was gunna win, but I didn't think he was going to be so active. I thought it was gunna be a lot of LnP with occasional GnP, but Hendo used a lot of GnP and beat up Bisbing pretty good.

GSP vs. Alves
--I thought Alves was gunna win. I thought if Alves could stuff GSP's TDs, then he could beat him in the stand-up and eventually knock him out. But GSP took down Alves at will and really wore him out. Complete domination by GSP.

Lesnar vs. Mir
--I was rooting for Mir, but knew Brock would win. He is just a freak athlete and much stronger than Mir. If Mir could have stuffed Brock's takedowns, then the fight may have gone the other way. No one in the UFC HW division looks like they could beat Brock. Fedor vs. Brock would be an awesome fight though.

**Overall, a really good card.
TheSkeptic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/8/2009 4:17:56 PM
An interesting match-up among the co-main cards.

Kenny is pretty well suited against BJ; he's got great standup (boxing isn't as good as BJ but kicks are better) and he's formidable on the ground (he started out as primarily using submissions). However, I think I'm going to give this to BJ by TKO if he isn't too shaken up by GSP's annihilation.

Forrest has a great knack for having his opponent's underestimate him, and then surprising them - just look at the Rampage and Shogun Rua fights. However, he doesn't really have much of a strong point (except taking a beating) than having a good heart. Anderson Silva will likely win this match by TKO; he's just too deadly of a striker.
Xer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/9/2009 11:50:33 PM
The Penn/Florian fight was a big dissappointing..

Anderson Silva is just nasty. I love when he dodges people's strikes. It looks like he's doing the matrix haha. Silva absolutely dominated Forrest, it wasn't even close. The KO punch looked like it barely touched Forrest (although, he was already knocked down a couple times).

AND THEN FORREST RAN OUT OF THE OCTAGON SO HE COULD GO CRY!!!!!

How much of a sore loser can you be?

Anyway, Silva's next match should be for the LHW title. He will win, and then he will have the MW and LHW belts. I don't think he could beat Brock Lesnar though.
ToastOfDestiny
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2009 7:57:02 AM
At 8/9/2009 11:50:33 PM, Nags wrote:
The Penn/Florian fight was a big dissappointing..

I caught some replays. Kinda a 'meh' battle.
At 10/11/2009 8:28:18 PM, banker wrote:
Our demise and industrial destruction
At 10/11/2009 10:00:21 PM, regebro wrote:
Only exists in your head, as already shown.

At 10/11/2009 8:28:18 PM, banker wrote:
reveal why you answer with a question mark
At 10/11/2009 10:00:21 PM, regebro wrote:
Because it was a question.

RFDs Pl0x:
http://www.debate.org...
patsox834
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2009 9:49:08 PM
At 8/9/2009 11:50:33 PM, Nags wrote:
Anyway, Silva's next match should be for the LHW title. He will win, and then he will have the MW and LHW belts. I don't think he could beat Brock Lesnar though.

I don't know if this will happen -- due to Silva and Machida being close friends, Silva said he would refuse to fight him. Assuming Machida beats Rua, which...well...is a safe bet.

Apparently Silva's next fight was going to be against Dan Henderson (a middleweight title fight, obviously), but he wasn't too pleased with this. Both Silva and his agent said to Dana White that they would rather relinquish the middleweight title and stay in the light heavyweight division, since it's more of a challenge for him.

At least, this is what I've read on some MMA rumor sites.
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2009 11:50:01 PM
I'm a casual fan, but I'm annoyed by the naming system for the UFC events. Far too many, too often.

MMA should take a page out of WWE's playbook in this regard, having only 5-6 marquee events each year (maybe smaller events every other month).

UFC, in particular, could then name its events different annual titles than just +1 numerically (e.g., like "SummerSlam" and "WrestleMania" for WWE, or even like the "Super Bowl" for the NFL). I just don't get interested from seeing an advertisement for "UFC 96"---when it seems like just last month I saw adds for "UFC 89."

It makes me feel like this newest one won't matter in the annals of UFC history, and thus, I'm never compelled or moved to pay the money to see the events.

Seriously---without looking it up---can you remember the main event matchup of UFC 43? How about 61? 74? You don't have to post them, I'll take your word for it.

(Conversely, if a fan, I bet you can remember the main event to Wrestlemania VI, or the teams who played Super Bowl XXV).

Anyway, I just think this current UFC naming system ruins the thrill/anticipation of some of the bigger events for casual fans, thus rendering said events not as interesting as they should feel.
Metallicker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/25/2009 1:46:39 AM
Awesome sport IMO, I think Joe Rogan said it best that we have learned more about the martial arts over the past 10 years or so in MMA, then any other combat system has over the past 700.

I'd love for Silva to keep fighting at 205, I don't see anyone except Demian Maia being a legitimate contender at 185.

Also, Randy by decision at ufc 102, due to better boxing and positional control on the ground.
patsox834
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/29/2009 10:00:34 PM
As much as I hate to see Randy Coture lose, it's a lot easier to see when it's against a beast such as Antonio Nogueira. I honestly thought Randy would pick Nogueira apart -- my basis for this was largely both of their previous fights. Coture did lose, but he didn't look horrible in doing so; Nogueira, however, was completely beasted by Frank Mir. It looked like all of those intense wars he's been in caught up to him.

I suppose Nogueira's staph infection and his knee injury must've really messed him up before he fought Mir, though, because he looked spectacular tonight. Coture wasn't ever really a threat.

I have to give Randy all the credit in the f-cking world, though, because he took a beating, and just kept going. He was rocked multiple times, and was almost choked out, but he kept springing back up and attempting to mount some kind of attack. He's 46 years-old, and he still has to be one of the most durable fighters out there.

I was awfully disappointed with the other main fights, though. I thought Maia would be able to keep the fight close, though I didn't think he'd win, but instead, he was just clobbered.

Chris Leben's fight was just as bad. He looked to be winning (he landed a vicious shot that dropped Jake Rosholt), but eventually got submitted. It wasn't *just* that Leben was choked out, but *how* he was choked out -- after the fight was stopped, he was quite literally out like a light; he has some pretty distinctive muscle spasms in his legs. Brutal.

The Silva vs. Jardine fight was annoying, too -- I thought Keith was gonna out-strike Silva, and you know, if the fight happened again next month, I'd say the same thing. If they fought ten times, I really think Jardine would win at least seven of them.

Jardine has to be one of the most unlucky people in the UFC. He really is a great fighter who's worthy of being ranked with the best in the division, but something abnormal always seems to trip him up. I can't help but wonder who's next for him...a rematch with Wanderlei Silva, maybe? I'd like to see that, but I don't know if anything has been lined up for Silva yet, so who knows?

Either way, I'm looking forward to the Ultimate Fighter. Mainly because it's definitely gonna build up the Jackson vs. Evans fight, which is one I'm aready looking forward to a lot (I'm picking Evans.)

So yeah, overall, I was disappointed, but the main event was pretty good, despite that. I just hope Coture decides to keep going.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/30/2009 1:07:14 PM
yeah it was the worst card in a long time... the match ups were not that great... i was only worth ordering if you love captan america and nog, that was it

and Chris Leben is done... it is time for him to go to strikeforce
Metallicker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/1/2009 11:26:01 PM
Damn I loved that main event, that was the best MMA fight I've seen in a long time, I was really impressed by Couture's performance even though he lost. I thought for sure he was going to either tap or pass out in the D'arce choke or arm triangle attempts by Nog, they were locked in tight.
I really wanted Maia to win as I am a massive fan of his BJJ, I think if he gets more striking experience he will be a force to be reckoned with in the future.
Leben just seems to be a stepping stone for new fighters nowadays.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/2/2009 4:55:10 PM
At 9/1/2009 11:26:01 PM, Metallicker wrote:
Damn I loved that main event, that was the best MMA fight I've seen in a long time, I was really impressed by Couture's performance even though he lost. I thought for sure he was going to either tap or pass out in the D'arce choke or arm triangle attempts by Nog, they were locked in tight.
I really wanted Maia to win as I am a massive fan of his BJJ, I think if he gets more striking experience he will be a force to be reckoned with in the future.
Leben just seems to be a stepping stone for new fighters nowadays.

then for you i am sure you loved it... i just wish that fight would have taken place a few years ago... couture was known for one of the best chins around, but with age he has been rocked more then ever...
big nog did look good. i just wish it was free for other people to become fans... i do not think that the card as a whole was that greatest, but you are correct in stating that the main event was awesome...

but it would have been better if it were free and the ufc would have made new fans...
charging people for it just did not bring about the success it could have...

with no title def. on the card, showing it on cable would just make fans fall in love with one of the contenders that will now fight for the title... giving the ufc a bigger fan base for the future events with those title fights heading the ppv.