Jump to topic:

Martial Arts

M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2012 10:20:15 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Anyone in martial arts here on DDO? Which ones, and how far have you come? Anyone want to do martial arts, but haven't gotten around to it yet? What styles would you want to learn, if you could?
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
Sans_the_Ander
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2012 12:31:27 PM
At 4/20/2012 10:20:15 AM, M.Torres wrote:
Anyone in martial arts here on DDO? Which ones, and how far have you come? Anyone want to do martial arts, but haven't gotten around to it yet? What styles would you want to learn, if you could?

I have really wanted to learn, but I never got around to it..... I think it would be awesome to learn though.
CrazyPerson
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2012 12:32:49 PM

DDO is martial arts.
But we try to pretend, you see, that the external world exists altogether independently of us.
- - - Watts
The moralist is the person who tells people that they ought to be unselfish, when they still feel like egos, and his efforts are always and invariably futile.
- - - Watts
Contra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/20/2012 11:27:09 PM

Well, I took 2 weeks of Karate in first grade? Does that count?
"The solution [for Republicans] is to admit that Bush was a bad president, stop this racist homophobic stuff, stop trying to give most of the tax cuts to the rich, propose a real alternative to Obamacare that actually works, and propose smart free market solutions to our economic problems." - Distraff

"Americans are better off in a dynamic, free-enterprise-based economy that fosters economic growth, opportunity and upward mobility." - Paul Ryan
RedneckR0nin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 6:29:16 PM
Same answer as the other thread

Green belt in Shorin Ryu Karate
Took Muay Thai Kickboxing from age 11-16
Black belt 2nd Dan Jiu Jitsu Gracie/Berra
Part time instructor at McDonalds MMA camp ( no not the resturant)

Don't want nor have time any more to train in anything else. I help the junior class twice a month. For fighters aspiring to become professional fighters at Jays gym I help with cage press tactics, working from your back, counter take downs and posturing and escape the ground. I love it and wish I had more time. My hands however have been broken more times than I can count and my ankle has plates/pins/screws and the onset of severe arthritis. So physically I am breaking down and cannot commit to more than that. Started training my son this year so it excites me to pass that on to him. Suggest any martial art for youth as discipline and physical activity are important. Suggest it for females for the confidence and self protection factor. It's suggested for anyone for stess release and a positive and productive way to be social and to learn your capabilities and to perhaps even exceed them.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 6:30:08 PM
"Is BS" ~ Penn And Teller
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 6:30:24 PM
I am a black belt though.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 8:40:43 PM

I've found if you actually need to defend yourself, MOST martial arts are a hindrance. The best way to get out of trouble is finish the other person off quick and easy. Nothing fancy...Krav Maga.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 12:33:58 AM
Wrestled in high school. I was decent at it. I really want to get into Muay Thai, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, or Judo, but I lack the time and the funds right now.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
THEBOMB
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 11:58:28 PM
At 5/3/2012 1:37:15 PM, RedneckR0nin wrote:
At 5/2/2012 6:30:24 PM, 16kadams wrote:

In B.S? lol

Martial arts is bull sh!t...which is true in most cases.
RedneckR0nin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/5/2012 8:45:04 PM
At 5/4/2012 11:58:28 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
At 5/3/2012 1:37:15 PM, RedneckR0nin wrote:
At 5/2/2012 6:30:24 PM, 16kadams wrote:

In B.S? lol

Martial arts is bull sh!t...which is true in most cases.

Only applies in controlled fights really...except the mental edge it gives you to think under pressure. I have fought tons in both a ring and the street. I never used anything from martial arts in a bar scrap....I threw chairs and cue balls, smashed beer bottles and ashtrays...whatever it took...martial arts don't teach you any of that!
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/7/2012 11:55:34 PM
I've been thinking about learning jui jitsu. I've also considered krav maga. These seem to be the most practical. I've heard very good things about the usefulness of jui jitsu (http://www.samharris.org...) and krav maga is used in the Israeli military.

I used to study tae kwon do as well as southern dragon style kung fu. Organized tae kwon do is stupid because you aren't allowed to punch in the face (although you can kick people in the face - it's very kick-oriented). Kung fu is a lot of fun if your instructor isn't arrogant and overly traditional. I would love to study praying mantis kung fu but I don't know if it is very useful.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
MrJosh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/11/2013 11:53:45 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
In case anyone is still reading this forum:

I've been practicing various martial arts for about 13 years. Mostly Taekwondo, but also Hapkido, Tangsoodo, Kung Fu, Gumdo and Escrima.
MrJosh
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/22/2013 11:35:23 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
At 5/2/2012 6:30:08 PM, 16kadams wrote:
"Is BS" ~ Penn And Teller

I remember that episode being the worst one I have ever seen of that show. They really set up a strawman by choosing the worst of the worst to represent the martial arts.