Jump to topic:

Metta World Peace

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 5:34:09 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
The guy is probably one of the most eccentric personalities in sports right now, taking the first spot that was probably formerly owned by either Chad Ochocinco or Terrell Owens, and further back, Dennis Rodman (any others?)...

But looking at that replay of the elbow to James Harden (and considering that brawl back in the day- "Malice at the Palace").. Is the guy just simply an eccentric, misunderstood athlete? Or just simply insane? Or something else...?

Anyone have any thoughts?
Debate.org Moderator
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 12:47:48 PM
He's obviously just insane. Eccentric is changing your name to your football number insane is being one of the most violent players in the league and changing your name to world peace.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/26/2012 12:48:20 PM
Also Dennis Rodman was a much better player than Artest.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/28/2012 11:39:45 PM
At 4/26/2012 12:48:20 PM, lewis20 wrote:
Also Dennis Rodman was a much better player than Artest.

+1
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/29/2012 8:21:36 PM
I think Artest is incapable of restraining himself from violently lashing out, which means he shouldn't be allowed to participate in the games. I don't think he's intentionally trying to hurt anyone so much as completely unable from translating his "passionate" energy into violent acts that can actually hurt other players. Artest isn't just an aggressive player. The difference between him and say Ndamukong Suh is that I think Suh will mature and settle down, whereas I'm not sure Artest can. Perhaps that's why some call him "insane."

As far as an appropriate penalty, I'd say it depends on his history. While I know of the Malice at the Palace incident (for which Artest was certainly not the only one to blame), and one other time where he hit another player in 04, I'm unaware of his other violent incidents. If those are his only offenses, I'd say his punishment should have been extended to 10 games (affecting the Lakers deeper into the playoffs, instead of potentially just the first round). If there was even just 1 more incident than those 2 priors, I'd say he should undoubtedly be suspended for the rest of the season, and take any pay cuts that would come along with that. After this, another episode should probably result in a lifetime suspension.

Ps. I agree that Rodman is much better than Artest, but he's no scrub. The Lakers will certainly miss his presence on the floor.
President of DDO