Jump to topic:

Junior Seau

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 3:27:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Was found dead this morning of apparent suicide. (Investigation ongoing)

He was one of my favorite players growing up, even though I'm not a Chargers fan. It's always sad when athletes die young, and it's especially tragic when one of them takes their own life.

I don't know, and can't even imagine what Junior was going through.. I simply hope that he is happier now.

Today was also the day that the 'bounty gate' suspensions were passed down, and nothing else could provide greater perspective to make it all seem entirely trivial.

Seau was a classy and charitable guy and one of the greatest and most talented athletes of all time. The world has lost a great football player, and an even better man.

RIP Junior Seau
Debate.org Moderator
RedneckR0nin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 6:07:18 PM
My sympathy goes toward his family but as far as towards him it stops. The most selfish thing you can commit is suicide and seeing the feed of his family outside his house crying makes heartbreaking.
He left his brain to science which would explain the gunshot to the chest and all but make suicide a certainty. With all the gifts and talents he had I guess wasn't enough to make him watch his children grow old. If he felt this way for awhile which I'm sure he did he should have reserched what clinical studies have shown about impacts to the head and depression. He had a obligation to his family to do so. So in that he's a selfish piece of garbage and all the pro bowl appearances in the world won't make that better.
Sad to see he chose the easy and cowards way out. He was truly a specimen to behold and embodied greatness when he played the game.
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 11:14:36 PM
I'm a Chargers fan. Born in San Diego (sadly I don't live there anymore), born, bred and raised fan to the Chargers. They're the only team I give more than two fvcks about.

This death shocked me. He was an amazing talent on the field and did amazing work with his earnings off the field. It's numbing to know that he did what he did, and my sympathies go out to him and his family. Suicide is a harsh thing to decide to do, and while some say that it's selfish, those who do end up committing suicide have been psychologically convinced that there is no better option, even if one exists. While this doesn't necessarily excuse the action, it allows us to gain the insight needed to sympathize with him for the enormous amount of pain and suffering necessary to push him to that point.

Also, my parents and I got on this topic tonight at dinner and Junior is the 8th member of the '94 Chargers team (the one that lost to the 49ers in the super bowl) to have died young. We theorized a potential crazed fan who couldn't let the game go, but it's probably not true.

Suicide be a harsh mistress, and one hell of a bitch to deal with.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/2/2012 11:26:08 PM
Seau was one of the first players I learned about growing up (he played for the dolphins, i was raised in Florida), and im really sad that he died. I poked around though and I found out that he isnt the first player to do this and wont be the last.

Football players take heavy hits to the head every now in then in the NFL, Seau was a linebacker and took many hits over the years. Many times players who take hits to the head that hard for that long of a time are at an increased risk to end up killing themselves, possibly due to the head injuries they sustained.

http://abcnews.go.com...

I hate to think that as tragic as his death was, it wont help prevent other players from doing the same thing, and might even play a role in other players making tragic choices.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2012 11:09:20 PM
One more NFL health tragedy to add to the heap. This type of thing may be the death knell of the sport some time in decades to come. And yes, suicide is selfish. It's a big "f*ck you" to the world.
Rob
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/3/2012 11:40:06 PM
The average life expectancy of an American male is about 75.

The average life expectancy of a retired NFL player is 53-59.

Looks like the mean just got lowered a bit -_-)
Rob
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 12:41:56 AM
At 5/3/2012 11:09:20 PM, Lasagna wrote:
One more NFL health tragedy to add to the heap. This type of thing may be the death knell of the sport some time in decades to come. And yes, suicide is selfish. It's a big "f*ck you" to the world.

Bollucks to this and I'll debate you on it.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 4:46:36 AM
At 5/3/2012 11:40:06 PM, Lasagna wrote:

It's a very sad development in the NFL. But the league seems to take the issue at least somewhat seriously and is attempting to make it safer. New rules are supposed to prevent players from playing after concussions, and the new helmets are supposed to reduce them significantly.

Unfortunately, the reality might be that Pro football (or perhaps football in general) is just too dangerous to the well-being of those who play it. As someone who likes the sport very much, I'd hate to see a time when it was banned. So I hope that new rules and safety measures are put in place that dramatically reduce the very clear trend that inflicts its its former players.
Debate.org Moderator
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/4/2012 10:15:17 AM
At 5/4/2012 4:46:36 AM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 5/3/2012 11:40:06 PM, Lasagna wrote:

It's a very sad development in the NFL. But the league seems to take the issue at least somewhat seriously and is attempting to make it safer. New rules are supposed to prevent players from playing after concussions, and the new helmets are supposed to reduce them significantly.

Unfortunately, the reality might be that Pro football (or perhaps football in general) is just too dangerous to the well-being of those who play it. As someone who likes the sport very much, I'd hate to see a time when it was banned. So I hope that new rules and safety measures are put in place that dramatically reduce the very clear trend that inflicts its its former players.

As much as I would love to see the injury rates drop in football, it just isn't going to happen without a change I'm the very fundamental basis that makes football actually football. Football is, by nature, a violent game. Injuries are going to happen as players gain more and more strength to be able to be competitive for starting roles. Humanity grows stronger and stronger by the generation, as strength is a quality we find attractive and helps us find a mate to reproduce with (basic Darwinian science), and as we go stronger, the new technology that was supposed to be able to prevent injuries will need another re-vamp and another re-vamp. A complete drop off or significant drop off in injury rates, specifically head injuries, will never happen, at least for any significant period of time. A season or two, maybe. But not anything lasting.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/21/2012 5:22:42 PM
At 5/2/2012 3:27:51 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
Was found dead this morning of apparent suicide. (Investigation ongoing)

He was one of my favorite players growing up, even though I'm not a Chargers fan. It's always sad when athletes die young, and it's especially tragic when one of them takes their own life.

I don't know, and can't even imagine what Junior was going through.. I simply hope that he is happier now.

Today was also the day that the 'bounty gate' suspensions were passed down, and nothing else could provide greater perspective to make it all seem entirely trivial.

Seau was a classy and charitable guy and one of the greatest and most talented athletes of all time. The world has lost a great football player, and an even better man.

RIP Junior Seau

His funeral was last week. He was a true legend.