Jump to topic:

The USFL Returns!!

airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/10/2012 5:28:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
So I'm a bit too young to remember the USFL (it disbanded in 1987, when I was around 4) but it was an interesting pro football league with its own unique legacy.

ESPN did a special on it in it's 30 for 30 series not long ago, which seemed to imply that had Donald Trump not decided to compete directly with the NFL, the USFL may have lasted a lot longer. This seems to be the plan for the new USFL in not competing with the NFL, and should bode well for it.

Of course, the league will be made up of players not good enough to make it to the NFL, but at a time of year where there is no football going on it should fill a void for fans of football that can't get enough.

As a big fan of football myself, I'm interested to see the USFL become successful, though not take away from the NFL. I never watched the UFL, and while the XFL had some interesting ideas, it never manifested into something all that compelling.

The league plans to start in March 2013 in 8 cities and play a 14 game season.

So what do you think? Do you remember the USFL? Is another league something even necessary? Or is this just football over-kill and doomed to fail?
Debate.org Moderator