Jump to topic:

Fantasy football

Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2012 1:10:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
For you guys that are new, last year we started doing some football activities in the sports forum. One of them was a fantasy league on espn.com (which didn't go so well because it was only 4 people and only 2 participated) and the other was "beat the insiders." Beat the insiders is pretty simple, you just pick the teams you expect to win that week and then keep a record of your score. Last year I went 174-93 (www.beattheinsiders.com). We've got plenty of time before we need to start these off again but actually it might help us get better participation this time around if we get people involved early.

Beat the insiders requires very little prep and should go seamlessly, but if you guys want to do a fantasy league we should pick somebody to run it. I ran the pathetically small one last year on espn, and we just used an automatic draft where you had to be there at the appointment or else it was auto-picked for you. I think it would be awesome to do a manual one this time around, using the forums to select our players one by one. I'm prepared to pass the reigns to someone else to run it this time... One thing I noticed is that there were lots of opinions about how we should configure it. People were disagreeing on what website to use and everything down the line from there. If we're going to have success this season we need to be able to sort through all the opinions, perhaps with a vote, on the attributes of the league. Every year they give you more and more options as to how to configure it and everyone has their own ideas on what would be best.
Rob
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2012 1:24:15 PM
At 7/20/2012 1:10:12 PM, Lasagna wrote:
For you guys that are new, last year we started doing some football activities in the sports forum. One of them was a fantasy league on espn.com (which didn't go so well because it was only 4 people and only 2 participated) and the other was "beat the insiders." Beat the insiders is pretty simple, you just pick the teams you expect to win that week and then keep a record of your score. Last year I went 174-93 (www.beattheinsiders.com). We've got plenty of time before we need to start these off again but actually it might help us get better participation this time around if we get people involved early.

Beat the insiders requires very little prep and should go seamlessly, but if you guys want to do a fantasy league we should pick somebody to run it. I ran the pathetically small one last year on espn, and we just used an automatic draft where you had to be there at the appointment or else it was auto-picked for you. I think it would be awesome to do a manual one this time around, using the forums to select our players one by one. I'm prepared to pass the reigns to someone else to run it this time... One thing I noticed is that there were lots of opinions about how we should configure it. People were disagreeing on what website to use and everything down the line from there. If we're going to have success this season we need to be able to sort through all the opinions, perhaps with a vote, on the attributes of the league. Every year they give you more and more options as to how to configure it and everyone has their own ideas on what would be best.

Rob, if you commish the league I'll join.. 8 is a good number of teams to aim for... I think we might be able to get that many. Otherwise we can get as many DDOers as we can then open it up to the public.
Debate.org Moderator
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2012 3:53:43 PM
At 7/20/2012 11:31:18 AM, stubs wrote:
They have fantasy football on FB? Espn is what everyone does or Fox atleast

Well dubs check it out it is FB fantasy football group.
TheAsylum
ScottyDouglas
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2012 3:54:08 PM
At 7/20/2012 1:24:15 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 7/20/2012 1:10:12 PM, Lasagna wrote:

Rob, if you commish the league I'll join.. 8 is a good number of teams to aim for... I think we might be able to get that many. Otherwise we can get as many DDOers as we can then open it up to the public.

I'll join.
TheAsylum
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/20/2012 10:37:20 PM
Fantasy FB
1. Lasagna
2. Airmax1227
3. ScottyDouglas
4. Agent_Orange

Don't forget to start a beattheinsiders.com account! It's super low-commitment.
Rob
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2012 1:01:47 AM
At 7/20/2012 10:37:20 PM, Lasagna wrote:
Fantasy FB
1. Lasagna
2. Airmax1227
3. ScottyDouglas
4. Agent_Orange
5. Stubs

Don't forget to start a beattheinsiders.com account! It's super low-commitment.

I'm in. Just let me know how it's gonna work
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2012 4:22:05 PM
Fantasy FB
1. Lasagna
2. Airmax1227
3. ScottyDouglas
4. Agent_Orange
5. Stubs
6. Danielle

I can provide a couple fill-ins from my personal friends IRL if we don't get a couple more. I'll wait a little while longer and then get it started.
Rob
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 6:11:27 PM
At 7/29/2012 5:12:44 PM, Agent_Orange wrote:
What kind of league is it though? Head-to-head or points?

I'm not familiar with that distinction; I would imagine it's H2H. We face off against each other each week and then the best records enter the playoffs.
Rob
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 8:50:03 PM
At 7/29/2012 6:11:27 PM, Lasagna wrote:

I'm not familiar with that distinction; I would imagine it's H2H. We face off against each other each week and then the best records enter the playoffs.

OK cool I've never played head-to-head before but I do watch The League so I know how it works.
#BlackLivesMatter
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 3:31:53 PM
At 7/29/2012 8:50:03 PM, Agent_Orange wrote:
At 7/29/2012 6:11:27 PM, Lasagna wrote:

OK cool I've never played head-to-head before but I do watch The League so I know how it works.

Hahhahahahhah the league is so funny. But I like head to head much better than points
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 10:44:09 PM
Rob,

Lets aim for a live draft after the 3rd week of the pre-season... Giving plenty of notice of a date should ensure more members present (I suggest a Sunday evening, though we can figure out which day and time works for the most people)... Which site would you like to use?

I like Yahoo, but ESPN and NFL.com are both solid sites for FF.

I'd also like to suggest an auction draft, (people not familiar with auction drafts can do a mock draft on several FF sites) though since most are more familiar with serpentine I'd be fine with that too. Either way, any live draft also allows for auto-drafting for players who are not present... which is fine, and does not give any active players any significant disadvantage.

I think we should wait another couple weeks hoping another 2 DDO members sign up, after then you should just add friends of yours to round out the 8 we need.

lets go basic on all the other options.

QB
RB
RB
WR
WR
WR
TE
WR/RB
DEF
K

Fractional points... Waivers based on standings... Most other things can just be the default..

Rob or anyone have any thoughts?
Debate.org Moderator
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 2:56:16 AM
I'm a little nervous about auction-style, I'd be willing to try it but my skill-level is not that high. Here's what I was thinking: we have a manual serpentine using the forums. This would give us a huge time-advantage, because we could start as soon as we get our players locked-in and we'd have a long time to complete it before the season starts. It would be arguably more fun than the season itself, to be able to check-in daily and see what players were selected. It would give us a lot of opportunity to check stats and the like and make informed choices, kind of like a draft party IRL.

The down-side, and it could be fatal (proving my idea as ambitious), is that we can't go ahead with this if people aren't going to take this seriously. Instead of having fun, we'll be waiting for days on end for people to post and before the season gets started we'll be pissed off at certain people for not making a genuine effort to move along the draft as we get antsy to make our picks. It's high-risk/high-reward, but IMO we shouldn't really do this anyway if people aren't going to participate.

I will admit that last year we had some participation issues, although honestly I think a big part of that was that we set a draft date instead of doing it manually and a couple people were definitely not happy with the auto-picks. One person got a particularly troublesome spread and wanted to trade them afterwards but none of us wanted his players so he was basically stuck. If I remember correctly his extra players were all QBs...

I don't think manual-auction would be feasible. Auctions are time-sensitive, while serpentine would allow for certain gaps of inactivity without affecting our picks, provided we got it done in time.
Rob
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 7:39:56 AM
I personally like espn. Seem to be the most detailed. I like snake draft better than auction. Just my personal opinions though.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 8:03:16 AM
At 7/31/2012 2:56:16 AM, Lasagna wrote:
I'm a little nervous about auction-style, I'd be willing to try it but my skill-level is not that high. Here's what I was thinking: we have a manual serpentine using the forums. This would give us a huge time-advantage, because we could start as soon as we get our players locked-in and we'd have a long time to complete it before the season starts. It would be arguably more fun than the season itself, to be able to check-in daily and see what players were selected. It would give us a lot of opportunity to check stats and the like and make informed choices, kind of like a draft party IRL.

I'm def. down for this idea. But then we have to start the draft pretty early to allow each person to pretty much have 24-48 hours for each of their picks. You also will have to use some type of auto-ranking so that a failure to pick results in a default pick.

I think this would be an awesome idea, and would lead to a lot of draft trash talking and analysis, so I'm up for it.

The down-side, and it could be fatal (proving my idea as ambitious), is that we can't go ahead with this if people aren't going to take this seriously. Instead of having fun, we'll be waiting for days on end for people to post and before the season gets started we'll be pissed off at certain people for not making a genuine effort to move along the draft as we get antsy to make our picks. It's high-risk/high-reward, but IMO we shouldn't really do this anyway if people aren't going to participate.

Yeah, it's high risk but it seems to be worth it. I think it's a cool idea and we should do it if you are willing to take the time to manually create the teams, and spend the amount of time it would take to do this type of draft.

I will admit that last year we had some participation issues, although honestly I think a big part of that was that we set a draft date instead of doing it manually and a couple people were definitely not happy with the auto-picks. One person got a particularly troublesome spread and wanted to trade them afterwards but none of us wanted his players so he was basically stuck. If I remember correctly his extra players were all QBs...

I don't think manual-auction would be feasible. Auctions are time-sensitive, while serpentine would allow for certain gaps of inactivity without affecting our picks, provided we got it done in time.

You are correct that auctions require greater participation. So we should probably just go serpentine if we don't go with your idea.

But I fully support your idea of doing a manual draft in the forums, so lets lets do it.
Debate.org Moderator
Mestari
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 8:13:55 AM
Rob I enjoyed it last year (although it was the only league I didn't do exceptionally well in!) so I would love to join again.
Rules of Mafia

1. Mestari is never third party.
2. If Mestari claims an intricate and page long TP role, he's telling the truth.
3. Mestari always jointly wins with the town.
3b. If he doesn't he's mafia.
3c. If he was mafia you wouldn't suspect him in the first place.
4. If you lynch Mestari you will lose because he will be the third party Doctor or some other townie power role.
5. DP1 lynches are good.
6. The answer is always no.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 8:16:21 AM
Fantasy FB
1. Lasagna
2. Airmax1227
3. ScottyDouglas
4. Agent_Orange
5. Stubs
6. Danielle
7. Mestari
Debate.org Moderator
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 5:28:04 PM
Tentative rules for draft:

- Need a method to randomly decide order of picking, any ideas?

- once we get order of picking in, #1 will immediately start selecting players by posting.

- We will use Airmax's suggestion for team format:

QB
RB
RB
WR
WR
WR
TE
WR/RB
DEF
K

- We will create a special forum for the draft, and other than just making sure you keep your picks in good order there are no special rules as to what you can post; trash-talking, whining, and trolling are all fair game and are indeed an essential part of the game. It would help if you kept your picks in the right format:

example
QB: Drew Brees
RB:
RB:
WR: Greg Jennings
WR:
WR:
TE: Aaron Hernandez
WR/RB:
DEF: 49ers
K: David Akers

Otherwise, I am going to have to keep it organized for everyone so we can stay up to speed for auto-selection.

Missed picks
1) if 48 hours goes by and you have not selected a player, you will be automatically assigned the best available player per ESPN's top 300 list (http://sports.espn.go.com...).

2) If you have already filled that particular player's position on your roster, you will instead receive the next player. For example, if you already have a QB and the next top pick is Tony Romo (#45), you will instead receive Marques Colston (#46). Of course, you will need to have either 3 RBs or 4 WRs to skip picking one of these positions.

3) Repeat misses: I will not continue to allow one person to take 48-hour swaths of time with auto-selection. First miss is auto-selected after 48 hours, and every other miss after that will be cut to 24 hours. We will have 80 players to pick in the month ahead; do the math.

4) Dallas opens against New York on Sept. 5th, so I want everything ready to go by the end of August. I am SERIOUSLY hoping I don't have to go this far, but if participation is incredibly bad in the draft, here are the last-minute auto-pick rules: If we get to midnight on Sun, Aug 26th, and there are still picks to be made, then auto-selection will commence every 12 hours. At 9pm CST on Sept 1st we will polish off any left-over picks in the forums if we have to as a last resort. We'll do a live draft and each player will get 5 minutes to post. So, at 9:05PM CST on 9/1/12, whoever is in line will be auto-selected.
Rob
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2012 7:24:59 PM
@ Rob

I think all those rules are good.. and the draft procedure sounds practical, fair and should be a lot of fun.. and naturally anyone who chooses a player I want will have their post edited with a kicker instead :P

Apart from that we should use standard scoring.. RB and WR = 1 point for ten yards etc. QB = 1 point per 25 pass yards.. and I like for pass TD's to be worth 4 or 5 pts.. and ints worth -2.. but that can be up to you.. all other TDs worth 6.. and we should use fractional points as well..
Debate.org Moderator