Total Posts:6|Showing Posts:1-6
Jump to topic:

Best record vs. SB winner (last 8 yrs)

Lasagna
Posts: 2,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2012 3:47:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Does anyone else see a pattern here?

........Best record.............SB Winner
2004 Pittsburgh:15-1.......New England
2005 Indianapolis:14-2....Pittsburgh
2006 San Diego:14-2.......Indianapolis
2007 New England:16-0...NYGiants
2008 Tennessee:13-3......Pittsburgh
2009 Indianapolis:14-2.....New Orleans
2010 New England:14-2...Green Bay
2011 Green Bay:15-1.......NYGiants

Should there be better incentives for the best records? If winning games becomes less important, then that's a conflict of interest. Last year Green Bay went 15-2 and NYG went 13-9 and won the SB... I don't know something is a little wrong about that to me. It just seems a little too easy to erase failure.
Rob
stubs
Posts: 1,887
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2012 4:01:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/21/2012 3:47:03 PM, Lasagna wrote:
Does anyone else see a pattern here?

........Best record.............SB Winner
2004 Pittsburgh:15-1.......New England
2005 Indianapolis:14-2....Pittsburgh
2006 San Diego:14-2.......Indianapolis
2007 New England:16-0...NYGiants
2008 Tennessee:13-3......Pittsburgh
2009 Indianapolis:14-2.....New Orleans
2010 New England:14-2...Green Bay
2011 Green Bay:15-1.......NYGiants

Should there be better incentives for the best records? If winning games becomes less important, then that's a conflict of interest. Last year Green Bay went 15-2 and NYG went 13-9 and won the SB... I don't know something is a little wrong about that to me. It just seems a little too easy to erase failure.

This is really nothing. Having the best record in the league does not guarantee by any means a Superbowl win. Not sure exactly what you're pointing out here but I see no issue.
Apollo.11
Posts: 3,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2012 5:03:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Same is true for other sports.
In the past 12 years, only twice have the teams with the best record won the championship in the NBA. And 4 times, they lost in the first or second round.

Let's just hope the same is true for DDO tournaments.
Sapere Aude!
Lasagna
Posts: 2,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 12:07:38 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/21/2012 4:01:56 PM, stubs wrote:
At 7/21/2012 3:47:03 PM, Lasagna wrote:
Does anyone else see a pattern here?

........Best record.............SB Winner
2004 Pittsburgh:15-1.......New England
2005 Indianapolis:14-2....Pittsburgh
2006 San Diego:14-2.......Indianapolis
2007 New England:16-0...NYGiants
2008 Tennessee:13-3......Pittsburgh
2009 Indianapolis:14-2.....New Orleans
2010 New England:14-2...Green Bay
2011 Green Bay:15-1.......NYGiants

Should there be better incentives for the best records? If winning games becomes less important, then that's a conflict of interest. Last year Green Bay went 15-2 and NYG went 13-9 and won the SB... I don't know something is a little wrong about that to me. It just seems a little too easy to erase failure.

This is really nothing. Having the best record in the league does not guarantee by any means a Superbowl win. Not sure exactly what you're pointing out here but I see no issue.

Well it seems to me like winning out is becoming more and more meaningless... the last two SB winners were WC teams that popped into the playoffs at the last-second after seasons full of errors, yet all they need to do is win one game and all of a sudden they are on near-equal footing with teams that achieved near-perfection. There shouldn't be any meaningless games. Now they're talking about extending the reg season to 18 games which will create an even worse conflict of interest because teams could clinch with as many as 4 or 5 games to go, and now you have teams just screwing off and throwing off the balance while other teams watch helplessly as their rivals play teams that have nothing to compete for! I think there is too much of a reset when the playoffs start. Home-field advantage is worth a measley 3 points on average, and the way the Pack and G-men tore through the best teams on the road the last two years it's a wonder if it's even worth that. The Packers had nothing to play for for nearly two months before they played the Giants last year! Is it any wonder they got walloped? They won 15 games before that point while the Giants only won 10, and what did it get them?
Rob
stubs
Posts: 1,887
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 1:36:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/21/2012 5:03:46 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:
Same is true for other sports.
In the past 12 years, only twice have the teams with the best record won the championship in the NBA. And 4 times, they lost in the first or second round.


Yeah, agree with that. This whole thread is the a huge non story.
Lasagna
Posts: 2,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/22/2012 6:24:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 7/22/2012 1:36:04 PM, stubs wrote:
At 7/21/2012 5:03:46 PM, Apollo.11 wrote:
Same is true for other sports.
In the past 12 years, only twice have the teams with the best record won the championship in the NBA. And 4 times, they lost in the first or second round.


Yeah, agree with that. This whole thread is the a huge non story.

YOU'RE DEAD TO ME
Rob