Jump to topic:

Olympics!

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2012 11:24:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I love the Olympics! Summer, Winter, it doesn't matter. I am a total Olympic nut.

During the Summer Olympics, my favorite events are tennis, fencing, gymnastics, and all the track and field goodness. Rafael Nadal, my favorite athlete and the #2 tennis player in the world, is not participating, though, so I've lost a lot of excitement.

My favorite all-time Olympian is Apollo Ohno, speed-skater extraordinaire and 8-time medalist.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Nur-Ab-Sal
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2012 11:25:26 PM
Fencing all the way.
Genesis I. And God created man to his own image: to the image of God he created him: male and female he created them.
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2012 8:33:52 PM
At 7/27/2012 8:09:44 PM, daytonanerd wrote:
I think we can all agree, NBC Overcommentates during the Olympics.

They seriously need to shut up during performances. They can talk all they want during the parade of nations but they actually talked over the in-act commentary!
- lamerde

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 2:01:48 AM
Favorite moments:
- The transition from rural to industrial cultures was beautifully done, completely self-explanatory, and captivating from beginning to end.
- The Queen/Bond cameo was actually quite funny and a nice change of pace.
- The cauldron was so inventive and beautiful.
- The march of nations was the fastest I've ever seen. I think everyone really appreciates that.

Least favorite moments:
- The music montage dragged and the love story wasn't compelling.
- Paul McCartney. Hey Jude? I don't get it.
- A bunch of junior athletes lighting the torch didn't do it for me. I understand that they represent the future generation and that the multiple torches represent famous athletes, but in the end they were just a bunch of kids lol.

In all, I think it was solid. It's so hard to follow Beijing but the ceremonies were unique and thus didn't draw as many comparisons.
- lamerde

jedipengiun
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 8:02:46 AM
At 7/28/2012 2:01:48 AM, Maikuru wrote:
Favorite moments:
- The transition from rural to industrial cultures was beautifully done, completely self-explanatory, and captivating from beginning to end.
- The march of nations was the fastest I've ever seen. I think everyone really appreciates that.

Least favorite moments:
- A bunch of junior athletes lighting the torch didn't do it for me. I understand that they represent the future generation and that the multiple torches represent famous athletes, but in the end they were just a bunch of kids lol.

In all, I think it was solid. It's so hard to follow Beijing but the ceremonies were unique and thus didn't draw as many comparisons.

I read on twitter that the american commentators were complimenting the queen for parachuting in. I hope it's true.
Things that make me happy!

: At 6/22/2012 1:46:11 PM, Kinesis wrote:
: Also, as an Englishman I'm obligated to be prejudiced against gingers and the French.

: At 8/27/2012 10:00:07 PM, FREEDO wrote:
: Every self-respecting philosopher needs to smoke a pipe.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 2:01:02 PM
At 7/28/2012 8:02:46 AM, jedipengiun wrote:
At 7/28/2012 2:01:48 AM, Maikuru wrote:
Favorite moments:

Least favorite moments:

I read on twitter that the american commentators were complimenting the queen for parachuting in. I hope it's true.

*facepalm* really? That'd be horrendously stupid if it's true.

I thought the opening ceremonies were a disgrace. Too full of pop culture. They took something sacred and butchered it with glowing beds and Voldemort... I found it terrible.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 2:03:27 PM
At 7/26/2012 11:24:01 PM, Maikuru wrote:
I love the Olympics! Summer, Winter, it doesn't matter. I am a total Olympic nut.

During the Summer Olympics, my favorite events are tennis, fencing, gymnastics, and all the track and field goodness. Rafael Nadal, my favorite athlete and the #2 tennis player in the world, is not participating, though, so I've lost a lot of excitement.

My favorite all-time Olympian is Apollo Ohno, speed-skater extraordinaire and 8-time medalist.

I never really watched fencing before now but I'm watching women's fencing right now (S. Korea vs Italy) and this is intense!!
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 2:10:02 PM
At 7/28/2012 2:03:27 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

I never really watched fencing before now but I'm watching women's fencing right now (S. Korea vs Italy) and this is intense!!

Where are you watching that?
- lamerde

popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 2:14:51 PM
At 7/28/2012 2:10:02 PM, Maikuru wrote:

Channel 37 (I'm not sure what channel it may be in your area) MSNBC.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 2:20:56 PM
At 7/28/2012 2:14:51 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 7/28/2012 2:10:02 PM, Maikuru wrote:

Channel 37 (I'm not sure what channel it may be in your area) MSNBC.

Cool, thanks!
- lamerde

Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 5:07:45 PM
At 7/26/2012 11:16:33 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
They open today!

What's your favorite sport or event?

Favorite Olympian?

Wrestling, my Dad was an Olympic wrestler and I spent a large part of my youth as an Olympic hopeful, I was never good enough but hey, it's still my favorite Olympic sport by far...and I mean Freestyle Wrestling of course, I don't even understand Greco Roman, it's just wierd.

I will also say that the worst Opening Ceremony in Olympic history was last night's....that was even wierder and less entertaining than Greco Roman wrestling.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
Sidewalker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 5:31:23 PM
Oh, and favorite Olympiuan would either be Muhammad Ali because who doesn't love Ali, or maybe Eric Liddell, because Chariots of Fire might just be my favorite movie.
"It is one of the commonest of mistakes to consider that the limit of our power of perception is also the limit of all there is to perceive." " C. W. Leadbeater
stubs
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 10:18:07 PM

- Said no one ever
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 10:43:16 PM
At 7/28/2012 10:23:32 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 7/28/2012 2:25:26 PM, unitedandy wrote:
It sucks. We've still not got a medal. Boo

Lochte - 400 IM

unitedandy is from the UK.
- lamerde

Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 10:43:34 PM
At 7/28/2012 10:18:07 PM, stubs wrote:

- Said no one ever

LOL haters gonna hate.
- lamerde

popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/28/2012 11:05:44 PM

- Said no one ever

Did you see the match? Lol, it *was* pretty intense....
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/29/2012 12:28:40 PM
At 7/28/2012 11:05:44 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

- Said no one ever

Did you see the match? Lol, it *was* pretty intense....

Men's individual finals is live now. The only thing I like more than the action is how pissed they get when they're hit.
- lamerde

Apollo.11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/30/2012 4:33:43 PM
Olympics Suggestion: Mens USA Basketball Team vs. the Women's USA Basketball Team.

I want to see a group of black women rip LeBron a new one.
Sapere Aude!