Jump to topic:

Disaster Looming For Eagles

Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/5/2012 1:23:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Andy Reid's oldest son, Garrett, has O.D.'ed: http://espn.go.com...

Could this be another tragic season for a team that's too talented to be a loser? Just before the Packers' dismal loss to the Giants last year, the offensive coordinator's son died. It was a very troubling harbinger for Packers' fans and one can only wonder what differences would have been made if we had our coach present in his normal frame of mind.

Most of you are too young to have kids, but I can tell you that when you do have them, your priorities sink. Whatever you thought was your biggest priority will be downgraded (typically career). Some people resist this. NFL players are held to the ultimate standards of dedication, and are forced to take time away from their children to achieve success. Typically they have their wives or housekeepers raise them for them, but while this may be conducive to succeeding in their craft, it takes a toll on their family-life. There is no replacement for your father.

You cannot truly appreciate the regret and loss this man is feeling. I can't truly appreciate it because my daughter hasn't died. If my daughter died I can't imagine how I would maintain my health, ownership of my property, or my degree/career. It would take a very long time for me to regain my will to live.

But Reid has a deeper element to this problem. NFL coaches are unusually dedicated even for NFL personnel. There's no way he will be able to remove his regret and shame for not being there for his son. So many days lost, he could have spent helping his son fight through these times... instead spent in an office towards ambitious goals of winning football games. Pain fades with time. In a few months, psychology dictates that this event will be in his emotional past and he will have fully revived. But regret NEVER fades. The pangs will haunt him every day for the rest of his life... he may try to deal with it with pharmaceuticals, Jesus, or more hard work. But I can guarantee you that Reid will have one pleasure to look forward to when dying, and that is escaping the guilt of making the wrong choice, consistently, throughout his son's life and letting him die alone in an apartment without his father's guidance. Don't make the same mistake Reid made.
Rob
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 11:44:57 AM
It could be motivation for the team and well as Reid to perform even better this year as a tribute to his son. I think the Colts won the year Dungy's son died. Just one example that automatically popped into my head.
Lasagna
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/6/2012 5:45:12 PM
Favre's raping of the Raider's after his father died is another but it's not just about the fact that someone died, it's about how they died. If Reid is distracted and doesn't make the right calls, it could be bad for them.
Rob