RG3's first pre-season game

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/11/2012 11:59:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
(I'll do Luck's tomorrow).

Most should remember that I was hoping RG3 would be the first pick over Luck, but he was picked second..

Anyway, RG3 had his debut today, of which he went 4/6 for 70 yards and 1 TD. Unfortunately for him, he did have a fumble and did not run for any yards (one of his attributes was that he was a dangerous on the ground as well as the air, even more so than Cam Newton). I do hope that he gets to see some more time next week to help get him use to actual games (or as close as you can get to actual games where most players are not starters).
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 12:03:27 AM
At 8/11/2012 11:59:07 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Most should remember that I was hoping RG3 would be the first pick over Luck, but he was picked second..

Anyway, RG3 had his debut today, of which he went 4/6 for 70 yards and 1 TD. Unfortunately for him, he did have a fumble and did not run for any yards (one of his attributes was that he was a dangerous on the ground as well as the air, even more so than Cam Newton). I do hope that he gets to see some more time next week to help get him use to actual games (or as close as you can get to actual games where most players are not starters).

I don't think he should take off for too many runs in the pre-season, that's an invitation to getting an OLB in his left ear and be sat down for 6 to 8 weeks.

But he's not on my team, so let's see your best Vick-prime impression RG3.
Debate.org Moderator
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 12:18:53 AM
At 8/12/2012 12:03:27 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

I don't think he should take off for too many runs in the pre-season, that's an invitation to getting an OLB in his left ear and be sat down for 6 to 8 weeks.

He's gonna have to. Part of his package is that he can scramble like no other, so if he can't take a hit from the OLB that is currently a bench warmer trying to get higher on the depth chart, then how can he from the 1st string guys throughout the year? And if you say, he can't, then what was all the hype about? He needs to be able to take a hit, just like any small HB needs to be able to take a hit.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 12:28:22 AM
At 8/12/2012 12:18:53 AM, Ore_Ele wrote:
At 8/12/2012 12:03:27 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

He's gonna have to. Part of his package is that he can scramble like no other, so if he can't take a hit from the OLB that is currently a bench warmer trying to get higher on the depth chart, then how can he from the 1st string guys throughout the year? And if you say, he can't, then what was all the hype about? He needs to be able to take a hit, just like any small HB needs to be able to take a hit.

I'm not saying he can't take the hits.. Just that he's probably been instructed to not take too many risks this early in the pre-season. Also the Redskins coaches are going to want him to learn how to be a pocket QB, and only run as another option. We'll see him run, but if he can operate a traditional west-coast offense first, he will be a very scary player by mid season. Assuming he stays healthy.
Debate.org Moderator
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 5:01:11 PM
Well, I said I'd do Luck so here was his stats.

http://espn.go.com...

He did have a good game. Going 10/16 with 2 TDs, including a 9 yard scramble. Now, normally, rationalizing the performance against the quality of their opponent is a poor excuse. However, I think looking at the numbers, there is definitely something to consider.

The other two QBs that played for the Colts went 11/14 with 1 TD. Heck, even Mr Irrelevant went 3/3 with a TD pass against the Rams.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 5:48:46 PM
I dont like either team ( well, I hate anyone who's not the Patriots) but I'm interested in seeing how they do in an actual game. I've heard rookies are told not to display their full strengths on preseason games. Not sure if that's true or not.
kfc
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 8:51:18 PM
At 8/12/2012 5:48:46 PM, Koopin wrote:
I dont like either team ( well, I hate anyone who's not the Patriots) but I'm interested in seeing how they do in an actual game. I've heard rookies are told not to display their full strengths on preseason games. Not sure if that's true or not.

I would think not, unless they were already sure to have the job. Many of the players are fighting to get a spot on the team, and so they will play to their 100% potential in order to get that spot.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 9:01:49 PM
One football game takes a considerable amount of wear and tear on a player. Donald Driver has a local seatbelt commercial that compares each game to x amount of car crashes as far as physical damage goes. You only want them taking hits if they absolutely have to.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 9:34:52 PM
At 8/12/2012 9:24:51 PM, Koopin wrote:
All the new Rookies seem beast. It's gonna be a good football season.

Yeah. That Brandon Weeden should be the next Rodney Peete.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 10:39:39 PM
@OreEle, RG3 isn't really a dual-threat. Where as players like Vince Young and Michael Vick are looking to pass 50% of the time and run 50% of the time, RG3 is more like pass 85% run 15%. He only runs when pressured, basically. Thats mainly because he's a much better passer. Even at Baylor where they basically run the Spread, he didn't run the ball as much as other dual-threats.

Also, RG3 isn't very shifty. He doesn't juke or make people miss like Vick/Young, his main attribute is speed. But everyone is fast in the NFL, so thats not very important.

So I dont think his running will be a big factor during his career. It'll probably be used to buy extra time in the pocket moreso than scrambling for big yards.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/12/2012 10:43:22 PM
At 8/12/2012 8:51:18 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

I would think not, unless they were already sure to have the job. Many of the players are fighting to get a spot on the team, and so they will play to their 100% potential in order to get that spot.

Luck and RG3 are certain to start... No reason for either of them to risk injury by getting flashy. RG3 also needs to learn to be an NFL pocket passer in the preseason, he wont be taking off and running as much as you think.
Debate.org Moderator
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 10:15:44 AM
At 8/12/2012 10:43:22 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
At 8/12/2012 8:51:18 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:

Luck and RG3 are certain to start... No reason for either of them to risk injury by getting flashy. RG3 also needs to learn to be an NFL pocket passer in the preseason, he wont be taking off and running as much as you think.

This, what will make RG3 better is for him to learn to stay in the pocket and follow the offensve gameplan. Mike Shanahan is an excellent coach, that runs excellent west-coast offensive schemes. Of course part of what makes a west coast O so good is the play actions rollouts, however, those only work if the ground game is steamrolling. So essentially, alot of RG3's success depends on whether or not Hightower/Helu can stay healthy. Both are essential to the Redskins offense actually performing decently. Hightower for the runs up the gut, helu for those outside/counter runs so prevalent in west coast O's.

Im really looking forward to see what that tandem can do. RG3's success is dependant upon those two performing well.
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 1:05:09 PM
At 8/12/2012 10:39:39 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
@OreEle, RG3 isn't really a dual-threat. Where as players like Vince Young and Michael Vick are looking to pass 50% of the time and run 50% of the time, RG3 is more like pass 85% run 15%. He only runs when pressured, basically. Thats mainly because he's a much better passer. Even at Baylor where they basically run the Spread, he didn't run the ball as much as other dual-threats.

Also, RG3 isn't very shifty. He doesn't juke or make people miss like Vick/Young, his main attribute is speed. But everyone is fast in the NFL, so thats not very important.

So I dont think his running will be a big factor during his career. It'll probably be used to buy extra time in the pocket moreso than scrambling for big yards.

This.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 1:05:22 PM

This.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 1:12:59 PM
At 8/12/2012 9:34:52 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

This. I wish him the best of luck. During the draft, they kept talking about how he was "so old" to be going into the NFL at 28. I've had quite a few mistakes and set backs in my life that make me pretty old to be going into certain fields as well (in terms of my career path). As such I find myself really pulling for this guy. He doesn't have a lot going for him and there are A LOT of factors against his success right now, including but not limited to his age, teammates, etc. But I have a feeling he's going to play with a tremendous amount of heart. What he lacks in skill and athleticism he will probably make up for in passion and effort. Whether that translates to wins or not is one thing, but like I said, I'll be rooting for him... except when he plays against New York.
President of DDO
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/13/2012 10:59:25 PM
At 8/13/2012 1:12:59 PM, Danielle wrote:
At 8/12/2012 9:34:52 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

This. I wish him the best of luck. During the draft, they kept talking about how he was "so old" to be going into the NFL at 28. I've had quite a few mistakes and set backs in my life that make me pretty old to be going into certain fields as well (in terms of my career path). As such I find myself really pulling for this guy. He doesn't have a lot going for him and there are A LOT of factors against his success right now, including but not limited to his age, teammates, etc. But I have a feeling he's going to play with a tremendous amount of heart.

What he lacks in skill and athleticism he will probably make up for in passion and effort.

This is what I tell women about my performance in bed all the time.

Whether that translates to wins or not is one thing, but like I said, I'll be rooting for him... except when he plays against New York.

I'll be rooting for him ESPECIALLY when he plays NY lol
Beliefs in a nutshell: