Total Posts:59|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

What Sport do you play?

R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,731
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 10:44:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'd like to see what sports are most popular for DDO'ers, or if most people here hold down the couch, so to speak. List what you play and comment below.

1. Tennis - 5 years
2. Running - 11 years

Distant Seconds
3. Frolf - 10 years
4. Rollerblading - 20 years

Tennis - Are there any other tennis players out there? I'm probably in the novice/intermediate skill range. I've got an OK overhand and a pretty good slice, my serve is slow but straight and as of yet I really have no overhand-smash to speak of (but desperately trying). My net-game is horrible but I can sit back and have the speed to get to just about any drop-shot.

I've dabbled with Bball and I'd like to start softball next season again (perhaps if I can more consistently keep up with the push-ups/pull-ups). We had an ultimate-frisbee weekend going for a couple weeks there but it fell out, which was unfortunate because that games is tits and a55.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 10:49:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I have always wanted to play tennis and I do mean always. I watch it religiously and have tried arranging lessons multiple times to no avail. All my friends play and refuse to teach me. I envy you. How long did it take you to learn the basics?
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
BlackVoid
Posts: 9,170
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 11:02:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I never joined a team or anything, but I play some basketball every now and then. Tennis is pretty cool, but nobody else I know likes it, so its hard to get an opponent. So I do basketball most of the time, we have a good court not far from the neighborhood.
Zaradi
Posts: 14,125
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 11:25:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Sports I currently play? Soccer, and have been for somewhere along the lines of 12-13 years. Although I've played close to every sport under the sun, including football, baseball, basketball, tennis, roller and field hockey, beach volleyball, and badminton.
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,731
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 11:28:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/15/2012 10:49:29 PM, Maikuru wrote:
I have always wanted to play tennis and I do mean always. I watch it religiously and have tried arranging lessons multiple times to no avail. All my friends play and refuse to teach me. I envy you. How long did it take you to learn the basics?

Well the class as I remember was perhaps a half-dozen sessions of a couple hours... at the end I at least had the seeds of knowledge from the instructor that I could use for years to come. I've tried watching some youtube lessons and I don't find them helpful at all - they are strictly supplementary. Someone needs to show you what you're doing wrong.

Id say the biggest thing for a new player is to make sure you line up perpendicular to the ball as you swing. When you hit it you shouldn't be facing toward the ball, you should be facing towards its trajectory - just like a baseball hitter is oriented. From that position you should have a nice fluid stroke, starting by winding up and coming through. As you get better with your forehand, you want to start ripping up on it so it spins forward and dives as it lands. On your backhand, you should change your grip so the racket does not face upwards when you swing, and as you get better start chopping down to give it some backspin (slice). I'm just now working on the opposite shots, the forehand slice and backhand overhand, but they are much more challenging.

I can't believe you have friends that won't teach you, dare I say it's time for some new friends?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,731
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/15/2012 11:33:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/15/2012 11:02:31 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
I never joined a team or anything, but I play some basketball every now and then. Tennis is pretty cool, but nobody else I know likes it, so its hard to get an opponent. So I do basketball most of the time, we have a good court not far from the neighborhood.

I am extremely lucky to have one really good friend that is very consistent and active with tennis. He calls me up almost every morning about 11am and we go out for a couple sets, and we are perfectly matched skill-wise. Every time we go out we work on new shots, tweak, and compete against each other... the progress is very steady when you get that muscle-memory going. If you hit a tennis ball 1,000,000 times, you are gonna be good no matter what your innate talent is.

Bball is definitely more prevalent but you need 3 other people for a decent match, and if you have more you need it to be even or else someone is sitting out. You can get away with 2, 3, or 4-man tennis matches. By my age (31) all the guys who used to love playing bball are long out of shape and washed up lol. If I want to play I have to find younger people.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Wallstreetatheist
Posts: 7,132
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 12:02:47 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
My current sports:
Ultimate - 3 years, my favorite sport ever
Running - 4 years

My current activities:
Ping Pong - 6 months
Archery - 8 years
Skimboarding - 6 years
Surfing - 5 years
Pool - 6 years

Past sports:
Soccer - 3 years
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
Loserboi
Posts: 1,232
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 1:13:13 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I play football and basketball occasionally all my life

I don't know if its considered play but I have been boxing for a year and will start my amateur career soon. I did Muay Thai for a year as well.
Loserboi
Posts: 1,232
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 1:14:17 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/16/2012 12:14:00 AM, Apollo.11 wrote:
Running isn't a sport.

Do you guys do Track or XC?

I did Track short distance. I ran the 100, 200, and the 400 relay

I tried XC, it was so intense.
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,731
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 1:20:47 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/15/2012 11:42:10 PM, RyuuKyuzo wrote:
Power-Lifting
Wrestling (freestyle)
Archery

Archery is something I am VERY interested in but haven't gotten a chance to try since 4th grade camp. What do you think of her is she THAT good? You can tell by the sounds made she isn't hitting the target more than half the time.

http://www.wimp.com...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,731
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 1:23:16 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/16/2012 1:13:13 AM, Loserboi wrote:
I play football and basketball occasionally all my life

I don't know if its considered play but I have been boxing for a year and will start my amateur career soon. I did Muay Thai for a year as well.

My friend started fighting and had the misfortune of facing off against a future UFCer.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,731
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 1:24:41 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/16/2012 12:14:00 AM, Apollo.11 wrote:
Running isn't a sport.

Do you guys do Track or XC?

When you compete it is...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Apollo.11
Posts: 3,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 1:32:57 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/16/2012 1:24:41 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 8/16/2012 12:14:00 AM, Apollo.11 wrote:
Running isn't a sport.

Do you guys do Track or XC?

When you compete it is...

Competitive running is called track for 100m-1600m (and rarely 5000m and 10,000m) or cross country if it's not on a track. Or a marathon if you're really really really in shape.
Sapere Aude!
ScottyDouglas
Posts: 2,350
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 1:40:35 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I got a 5-yr old son so playing a little sports is a must with him.
When I was younger I played many sports as...
1. Baseball-my fav of all
2. Basketball
3. Poker- Played Professional online for years until the ban still play in Casino sometimes but it is hours away from me.
4. Tennis- In school
5. Track n field- Long distance-mile
6. Bowling
7. Pool
8. Swimming
TheAsylum
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 1:49:03 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I played little league baseball until the minors, but I hated it. Didn't really do other sports until highschool when I started Tennis. By senior year I was fourth singles. Haven't played tennis since, but I really should. I probably suck now.

I've been casually frolfing with my friends for a couple of years.

At 8/15/2012 10:49:29 PM, Maikuru wrote:
I have always wanted to play tennis and I do mean always. I watch it religiously and have tried arranging lessons multiple times to no avail. All my friends play and refuse to teach me. I envy you. How long did it take you to learn the basics?

Get good tennis shoes and a good racquet (~$150) and find a place near you that offers lessons and just take them. Shouldn't take much more than two weeks to get to the point where you can consistently hit it over the net.

I'm lucky because there's a nationally acclaimed tennis center in my city, they hold a few world-wide tournaments there a year.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,731
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 1:28:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/16/2012 1:32:57 AM, Apollo.11 wrote:
At 8/16/2012 1:24:41 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 8/16/2012 12:14:00 AM, Apollo.11 wrote:
Running isn't a sport.

Do you guys do Track or XC?

When you compete it is...

Competitive running is called track for 100m-1600m (and rarely 5000m and 10,000m) or cross country if it's not on a track. Or a marathon if you're really really really in shape.

OK Mr. Semantics. I am up to ten miles but I have a long way to go to get to 26.2 and I don't see how I'd get the time during the week to continue to practice at that length... I'm also a bit worried about my knees holding out on such a ridiculously long run.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,731
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 1:39:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/16/2012 1:49:03 AM, Korashk wrote:

Get good tennis shoes and a good racquet (~$150) and find a place near you that offers lessons and just take them. Shouldn't take much more than two weeks to get to the point where you can consistently hit it over the net.

$150 is a bit overkill for a n00b... I started with a $15 racquet and did just fine. I would say it's OK to wait until your next season to get the good racquet because then you can justify the expenditure more and you can take advantage of the higher quality.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Apollo.11
Posts: 3,478
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 2:30:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/16/2012 1:28:40 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 8/16/2012 1:32:57 AM, Apollo.11 wrote:
At 8/16/2012 1:24:41 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 8/16/2012 12:14:00 AM, Apollo.11 wrote:
Running isn't a sport.

Do you guys do Track or XC?

When you compete it is...

Competitive running is called track for 100m-1600m (and rarely 5000m and 10,000m) or cross country if it's not on a track. Or a marathon if you're really really really in shape.

OK Mr. Semantics. I am up to ten miles but I have a long way to go to get to 26.2 and I don't see how I'd get the time during the week to continue to practice at that length... I'm also a bit worried about my knees holding out on such a ridiculously long run.
Marathons are definitely not good for you. If you're worried about your knees, running on sand is good. But then it's harder to go as far because it takes more energy when you're pushing off.
Sapere Aude!
Korashk
Posts: 4,597
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 2:54:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/16/2012 1:39:19 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 8/16/2012 1:49:03 AM, Korashk wrote:

Get good tennis shoes and a good racquet (~$150) and find a place near you that offers lessons and just take them. Shouldn't take much more than two weeks to get to the point where you can consistently hit it over the net.

$150 is a bit overkill for a n00b... I started with a $15 racquet and did just fine. I would say it's OK to wait until your next season to get the good racquet because then you can justify the expenditure more and you can take advantage of the higher quality.

The price was for shoes and racquet combined. Although I can't imagine playing with a $15 one. That sounds terrible.
When large numbers of otherwise-law abiding people break specific laws en masse, it's usually a fault that lies with the law. - Unknown
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,731
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 3:32:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/16/2012 2:54:03 PM, Korashk wrote:
At 8/16/2012 1:39:19 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 8/16/2012 1:49:03 AM, Korashk wrote:

Get good tennis shoes and a good racquet (~$150) and find a place near you that offers lessons and just take them. Shouldn't take much more than two weeks to get to the point where you can consistently hit it over the net.

$150 is a bit overkill for a n00b... I started with a $15 racquet and did just fine. I would say it's OK to wait until your next season to get the good racquet because then you can justify the expenditure more and you can take advantage of the higher quality.

The price was for shoes and racquet combined. Although I can't imagine playing with a $15 one. That sounds terrible.

Haha KMart had$15 racquets and I just had to try them. They were good enough for a n00b that doesn't have any spin shots...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 5:12:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I used to play basketball and softball (shocking). I don't play anymore, but plan on joining my company's softball team next Spring. I used to be really good. One of my biggest regrets (and definitely MISTAKES) was not continuing.
President of DDO
Lickdafoot
Posts: 5,599
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 5:42:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
^ I used to play softball too. for 10 years from about 5-15. i usually played 2nd or shortstop, sometimes centerfield. I stopped in high school because I didn't like my coach, but I'd like to start back up.

I was a cheerleader too, if that could be considered a sport lol. (competitive cheerleading)

i don't really play sports now. mostly for exercise, i go rollerblading, hiking, snowboarding, etc.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 11:39:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/16/2012 3:32:33 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 8/16/2012 2:54:03 PM, Korashk wrote:
At 8/16/2012 1:39:19 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 8/16/2012 1:49:03 AM, Korashk wrote:

Get good tennis shoes and a good racquet (~$150) and find a place near you that offers lessons and just take them. Shouldn't take much more than two weeks to get to the point where you can consistently hit it over the net.

$150 is a bit overkill for a n00b... I started with a $15 racquet and did just fine. I would say it's OK to wait until your next season to get the good racquet because then you can justify the expenditure more and you can take advantage of the higher quality.

The price was for shoes and racquet combined. Although I can't imagine playing with a $15 one. That sounds terrible.

Haha KMart had$15 racquets and I just had to try them. They were good enough for a n00b that doesn't have any spin shots...

You guys have encouraged me. I researched local classes and I'm going shopping this weekend for some new sneaks and equipment. I also stopped by the local school's courts this afternoon just to make sure I could still sneak onto them (they got new gates last year). Good to go!

Also, Rob, you're right. My friends do suck lol.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,731
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/16/2012 11:48:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/16/2012 11:39:14 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 8/16/2012 3:32:33 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 8/16/2012 2:54:03 PM, Korashk wrote:
At 8/16/2012 1:39:19 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 8/16/2012 1:49:03 AM, Korashk wrote:

Get good tennis shoes and a good racquet (~$150) and find a place near you that offers lessons and just take them. Shouldn't take much more than two weeks to get to the point where you can consistently hit it over the net.

$150 is a bit overkill for a n00b... I started with a $15 racquet and did just fine. I would say it's OK to wait until your next season to get the good racquet because then you can justify the expenditure more and you can take advantage of the higher quality.

The price was for shoes and racquet combined. Although I can't imagine playing with a $15 one. That sounds terrible.

Haha KMart had$15 racquets and I just had to try them. They were good enough for a n00b that doesn't have any spin shots...

You guys have encouraged me. I researched local classes and I'm going shopping this weekend for some new sneaks and equipment. I also stopped by the local school's courts this afternoon just to make sure I could still sneak onto them (they got new gates last year). Good to go!

Also, Rob, you're right. My friends do suck lol.

LOL you'll be whipping their asses in no time.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,731
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 12:03:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 8/16/2012 1:13:13 AM, Loserboi wrote:
I play football ...

Any concussion history? lol
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
R0b1Billion
Posts: 3,731
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/17/2012 12:15:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Some of these were a bit ambiguous ("I used to," "I will be," etc.) so I did my best. I decided that poker and pool were a bit of a stretch but Bowling was acceptable (barely). Looks like Tennis has a firm lead for the time being...

The Sports of DDO

Tennis
1) R0b1Billion
2) Maikuru
3) Blackvoid
4) ScottyDouglas
5) Korashk
6) Lickdafoot

Running
1) R0b1Billion
2) Wallstreetatheist
3) Loserboi
4) ScottyDouglas

Baseball/softball
1) ScottyDouglas
2) R0b1Billion
3) Danielle
4) Lickdafoot

Soccer
1) Zaradi
2) Wallstreetatheist
3) F-16_Fighting_Falcon

Basketball
1) Blackvoid
2) Loserboi
3) ScottyDouglas

Frolf
1) R0b1Billion
2) Korashk

Archery
1) RyuuKyuzo
2) Wallstreetatheist

Ultimate
1) Wallstreetatheist
2) R0b1Billion

Rollerblading
1) R0b1Billion

Wrestling
1) RyuuKyuzo

Power-Lifting
1) RyuuKyuzo

Ping-pong
1) Wallstreetatheist

Surfing/Skimboarding
1) Wallstreetatheist

Football
1) Loserboi

Bowling
1) ScottyDouglas

Swimming
1) ScottyDouglas

Cheerleading
1) Lickdafoot

Golf
1) Lickdafoot
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.