Jump to topic:

USADA strips Lance, bans him for life

chrumbelievable
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 11:05:37 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
What happened to "innocent until proven guilty?" He's taken between 500 & 600 drug tests throughout his career. Never, NOT ONCE, did he test positive for performance enhancing drugs. Yet, the USADA has stripped Lance Armstrong of his 7 Tour de France titles and imposed a lifetime ban, effectively ending his competitive cycling career. WTF?

The Justice Department prosecutors had previously investigated Armstrong for doping allegations, but dropped the case due to lack of evidence to formally charge the cyclist. Lance is a victim of a corrupt system. He IS a cancer survivor, an activist, an amazing endurance athlete, an inspiration to millions of people and an ambassador for cancer research. What he is NOT is a cheater.
Apollo.11
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 11:24:18 AM
The reason he is being stripped of his titles is because he announcing he wasn't going to continue to fight the allegations. He dropped his defense case.
USADA isn't doing this out of nowhere. Lance knew this would happen and decided ti drop his case anyway. That is akin to admitting guilt.
Sapere Aude!
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 12:29:50 PM
It's stupid. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't.

They don't have proof that he did it, he passed EVERY test, even random tests with no warning he agreed to... every time.

The only thing they have is possible evidence using a 13 year old urine sample, and only half of the sample at that.
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 12:31:17 PM
At 8/24/2012 11:24:18 AM, Apollo.11 wrote:
The reason he is being stripped of his titles is because he announcing he wasn't going to continue to fight the allegations. He dropped his defense case.
USADA isn't doing this out of nowhere. Lance knew this would happen and decided ti drop his case anyway. That is akin to admitting guilt.

Uh... no.

Just because you don't want to continue spending ridiculous amounts of money and years of your life defending the same allegations over and over, isn't an admission of guilt.

These samples should have the standard of double jeopardy applied. If a sample passes, that's it.
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/24/2012 12:33:03 PM
At 8/24/2012 11:24:18 AM, Apollo.11 wrote:

Also, Lance said he would have continued to fight his if the whole process wasn't being handled solely by the USADA... they basically wouldn't give him anything resembling fair treatment.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
8/27/2012 1:51:09 AM
I'm so humoured by hearing about athletes and teams being "stripped" of titles. It's like, they already won it. The season is over. You can't go back and unwin it for them. The official acknowledgment means almost nothing. They beat the competition, the season ended, and we moved on. Expunging it afterwards seems utterly futile to me. If the NFL took away the Packers' Superbowls, for instance, it really wouldn't mean much because we already watched that season and went through the emotions and celebrated it.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2013 7:16:06 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
No one cares.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2013 7:18:45 PM
At 1/17/2013 7:12:16 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
Lance Armstrong finally admitted to using steroids on Oprah.

yeah it was a nice moment... comparable to Pete Rose admitting to what we all already knew so he could sell a book.

I remember having this argument with my friends during his height of popularity... I always maintained (with no evidence but a hunch) that at the very least, he was blood doping...

The fact that this all finally became obvious like 10 years later is kinda nice, but not really a surprise to anyone who followed this closely and didn't really like the guy anyway... I was never a big fan myself.

Nonetheless, Armstrong was still one of the best among many other cheaters... so he's the Barry Bonds of cycling. Which isn't too bad of company to be in, depending on who you ask.
Debate.org Moderator
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2013 7:28:21 PM
He still did more with one ball than most men do with two!
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2013 7:52:36 PM
At 1/17/2013 7:28:21 PM, tmar19652 wrote:

hmm I suppose... But I have as many Tour De France victories as he does.. and I've also been banned from competition fewer times.
Debate.org Moderator
tmar19652
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2013 8:07:24 PM
At 1/17/2013 7:52:36 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

hmm I suppose... But I have as many Tour De France victories as he does.. and I've also been banned from competition fewer times.

You try putting out 450+ watts on a bike for 5 or 6 hours. I have trained for years, and the best I can do is 350 for an hour. It took more than drugs to get him where he should be. Cycling is possibly the dirtiest sport on the planet, and personally I think an "all drugs allowed" tour de France would be more fair than the current one.
"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first." -Ronald Reagan

"The notion of political correctness declares certain topics, certain ex<x>pressions even certain gestures off-limits. What began as a crusade for civility has soured into a cause of conflict and even censorship." -George H.W. Bush
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2013 8:16:32 PM
At 1/17/2013 8:07:24 PM, tmar19652 wrote:
At 1/17/2013 7:52:36 PM, airmax1227 wrote:

You try putting out 450+ watts on a bike for 5 or 6 hours. I have trained for years, and the best I can do is 350 for an hour. It took more than drugs to get him where he should be. Cycling is possibly the dirtiest sport on the planet, and personally I think an "all drugs allowed" tour de France would be more fair than the current one.

I don't disagree... and an "all drugs allowed" tour de france would be awesome and certainly more fair for the 2 guys involved that aren't doping... I'd love to see an 'all drugs allowed' MLB (also known as the 90's-2000's MLB) and an all drugs NFL might be the most awesome thing ever seen... though I think it might be put to an end when players end up dead on the field.. but it'd certainly be entertaining.
Debate.org Moderator
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2013 8:21:29 PM
Doping is extremely prevalent in cycling. It's almost, almost a dope-to-compete atmosphere.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...