NFL 2012 Season

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 10:55:07 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
It's finally here! Football 2012!

My Giants are kicking it off vs. the Cowboys (ew!) tonight, and I have class from 7:15 - 10:05 pm. Of course the game starts smack dab in the middle at 8:30, but I'm hoping since it's the first day we won't have to stay the entire time. Right after that I'm headed to the bar to watch the Tony Momo's first loss of the season :)

I remember there was a thread last year asking what teams we all support. We know I'm a Giants (and Jets... sigh) fan, and Rob loves the Packers. Koopin likes the Pats and Loserboi and Marquis (and apparently Orange) are Niners fans. That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Let the trash talking commence!
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 10:56:31 AM
From the Draft thread

Rob: I think the Niners will probably do well, and being in a division that is probably the worst in the league will probably make it to the playoffs. But they are my top pick to fall off this year, because they are coming off of one unusually good year for them and are not perennial contenders - they are perennial losers who fail despite receiving good draft picks each year. Taking Smith over Rodgers a few years ago in the draft is just another way they screwed things up - Rodgers was eagerly anticipating playing for the Niners and was even from the area - there are no excuses for them missing that opportunity. And Favre did not mentor Rodgers in Green Bay, Favre openly admitted it wasn't his job to teach Rodgers anything and it's pretty clear that, at least in that part of his career, Favre was much more concerned with other things than breaking in his own replacement.

I think the additions at WR are a help for the Niners, but seriously, Manningham and Moss add depth but not star power. Manningham is used to a system where he plays slot behind two elite receivers and an elite QB, and Moss is well past his prime and in all likelihood will be a complete bust once again. And the old slogan about defense winning championships is really more cliche than anything else these days, as high-powered offenses are clearly what's been winning the big games for the last several years. And that's the way it should be - offense is your turn to control the ball, the clock, and the momentum of the game. The Patriots' success with Brady is testament to that; they've defeated the entire conference 45% of the seasons he's played with them.

How could the Niners foresee Rodgers' success? I think they'll go 11-5 during the regular season. They'll obviously make the Playoffs unless the Seahawks come out of nowhere (but I don't esee that happening this season). However I do think I was a little aggressive calling them the 3rd best in the league. On second thought I don't think they're better than the Giants. Whether or now they're better than the Texans and Ravens is debatable.

I agree with what Rob said about Moss and Manningham; however, Crabtree's no slacker and Vernon Davis is one of the best TE's in the league, so it's not as if Smith has absolutely nothing to work with. Plus both of those guys bring valuable experience to the table. Smith is doing better and also getting more experience, including in the post-season. While Gore isn't a star RB per se, the addition of Jacobs can certainly lighten his load and the two of them can share carries like he and Bradshaw did for the Giants. In other words, they can make their run game work. If their defense can hold other teams down, and their offense can get SOMETHING going, I think they'll do alright.

I see what Rob is saying about them potentially falling from grace; after all it doesn't seem like they have a lot of weapons on paper. But they've had fewer weapons than this these past few years, yet have somehow managed to get pretty far. I can't see why they'd stop now. If anything I think they have a great sense of renewed confidence from what they've accomplished recently, as well as the excitement of a successful new coach. I agree that playing in an easier division has benefited them significantly. But I also think they're legitimately talented.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 10:58:25 AM
Also, considering the season officially starts today, make sure all of your fantasy teams are up to date and you've submitted your picks for Beat the Insiders :P
President of DDO
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 11:21:37 AM
-See's NFL 2012 season-
-Hopes for national forensic league-
-See's football-

Sad nerd is sad D:
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 11:24:26 AM
LOL I was just thinking about creating this thread. The ESPN power rankings:

http://espn.go.com...

The Packers spent the entire 2011 Season in first, and it looks like they are going to continue that trend. I think it's laughable that the Giants whipped the Patriots in the SB just to find themselves one-upped by them in the power-rankings.

Although it's a big game tonight, I think it's clear that the real big game of the week is going to be Packers/Niners. Nobody is going to blink if the G-men lose tonight because we are all expecting them to be inconsistent anyway; they lost 7 times last year after all. Nobody will count them out while they still have a chance.

But the Niners and Pack have tons to prove. Were the Niners just a one-season wonder? Can they get their offense rolling with more depth at WR and RB? Are the Packers still as dominant as the analysts insist? Is their Defense still going to be the worst in the league, or will these rookies turn it around?

Seeing the Niners offense in action against the Packers defense will be quite telling. This game will truly be in Alex Smith's hands and at this point in his career there's no more room for crying about his situation. It's put up or shut up. He gets a shot at the easiest defense in the league to pass against BEFORE the rookies get a chance to settle in. If he can pull it off, expect to see the Niners dominate these power rankings for weeks to come.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 11:27:07 AM
At 9/5/2012 11:08:06 AM, Koopin wrote:
Rob, why the heck would you pick Kansas over Atlanta?

Well first off, it's not Kansas (they are actually in Missouri), and secondly, I just am not that sold on the Falcos.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 11:31:16 AM
It seems like the Falcons are always hyped but fail to deliver for whatever reason (like the Eagles, though their reason is always injuries).

In honor of tonight's game: http://deadspin.com...
President of DDO
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 11:47:41 AM
At 9/5/2012 11:31:16 AM, Danielle wrote:
It seems like the Falcons are always hyped but fail to deliver for whatever reason (like the Eagles, though their reason is always injuries).

In honor of tonight's game: http://deadspin.com...

Exactly why I hate my home team.
kfc
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 12:10:21 PM
"We're used to [Jerry Jones] hand-selecting players like Dez Bryant—a player so rotten he needs 24-hour babysitting to keep from curb-stomping his own mom—"

Classic!
Beliefs in a nutshell:
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 12:11:27 PM
This is a new season, some good teams will now be bad, some bad teams will now be good. BUT WHICH ONES??
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 12:46:04 PM
At 9/5/2012 12:11:27 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
This is a new season, some good teams will now be bad, some bad teams will now be good. BUT WHICH ONES??

Herr Derr, the dolphins are going to be superbowl champs!
kfc
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 1:03:14 PM
One storyline I think will be VERY interesting is: "can the Saints win without Payton?"

Think about it. If the Saints take off like they have the last few years and make it to the playoffs without much problem, it's going to seriously call into doubt the emphasis we put on head coaches. We, without hesitation, worship any coach that wins the SB unconditionally. It seems like 50% of the glory goes to the coach, 40% goes to the QB, and 10% to the rest of the team. The way the Saints play this year will be the most talked about story-line from 2012 for years to come, long after we forget about who actually took the Lombardi (unless it's the Saints!). If the Saints do well, then we will downgrade head coaches. If the Saints struggle, we will laud them. It's a very interesting controlled experiment we are running right now, and short of Drew Brees breaking his throwing arm, nothing is going to stop the results from dictating how we look at - and indeed pay - head coaches in the future.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 1:23:46 PM
Again, great points from Rob. I do think coaches are important but not terribly so. For instance, it was probably SP's call to have the Saints use the onside kick at the start of the 2nd half two Superbowls ago. Great move. And Bill Belichick just seems to be a great play maker. I guess it depends if you're considering the role of a coach in its entirety, or just in terms of coaching the actual game.

It's not terribly hard to come up with plays. Athletes of a particular caliber are rare, but there are a ton of coaches at all levels who are probably capable of drafting good plays. Carrying them out effectively (and beating the opposition) is another story, which is why players are more important.

While coaches can certainly make gutsy calls, there are a ton of people who could do the same. If I were a coach, I'd probably make a lot more gutsy calls than they do now. For instance I'd make attempts on 4th down more frequently. And I'm sure there are A LOT of football fans out there who know their team in and out, and have good ideas for schemes. There are also a ton of great leaders and motivational speakers. Maybe the combination is what makes a coach great. Who knows. But I personally don't foresee NOLA as making it terribly far into the playoffs, which is a shame. I do think missing out on SP but also some defensive players, and a head coach in general at the start of the season is just a lot of pressure to bounce back from.
President of DDO
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 1:43:06 PM
That's a good point about 4th down... I was watching a documentary on a college football coach who is using statistics to show that punting should be a rarity, only used in special circumstances (like if you're pinned inside the red zone). He makes the case that yes, the other team is probably going to score if you don't convert - however you have to balance that out with the probability of them scoring anyway if you punt it. If you have a ~50% chance of converting, it's worth taking the shot to keep control of the ball instead of just handing it to them...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 2:02:10 PM
At 9/5/2012 11:24:26 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:

The Packers spent the entire 2011 Season in first, and it looks like they are going to continue that trend. I think it's laughable that the Giants whipped the Patriots in the SB just to find themselves one-upped by them in the power-rankings.

Although it's a big game tonight, I think it's clear that the real big game of the week is going to be Packers/Niners. Nobody is going to blink if the G-men lose tonight because we are all expecting them to be inconsistent anyway; they lost 7 times last year after all. Nobody will count them out while they still have a chance.

But the Niners and Pack have tons to prove. Were the Niners just a one-season wonder? Can they get their offense rolling with more depth at WR and RB? Are the Packers still as dominant as the analysts insist? Is their Defense still going to be the worst in the league, or will these rookies turn it around?

Seeing the Niners offense in action against the Packers defense will be quite telling. This game will truly be in Alex Smith's hands and at this point in his career there's no more room for crying about his situation. It's put up or shut up. He gets a shot at the easiest defense in the league to pass against BEFORE the rookies get a chance to settle in. If he can pull it off, expect to see the Niners dominate these power rankings for weeks to come.

Yes. Agreed. I love Alex Smith but he's out of excuses. Nut up or shut up. He has the same OC, a good coach, the best defense, fans who believe in him and the team voted yesterday to make him team captain so obviously they believe in him as well. Be ready though Frank Gore himself said he was ready to go full-tilt against you guys and you don't have an answer for him. This is going to be a great game and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Packs win. And it won't ruin the reason of the season for me. GB is the best in the league IMO.
#BlackLivesMatter
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 5:32:05 PM
At 9/5/2012 2:02:10 PM, Agent_Orange wrote:
At 9/5/2012 11:24:26 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:

Yes. Agreed. I love Alex Smith but he's out of excuses. Nut up or shut up. He has the same OC, a good coach, the best defense, fans who believe in him and the team voted yesterday to make him team captain so obviously they believe in him as well. Be ready though Frank Gore himself said he was ready to go full-tilt against you guys and you don't have an answer for him. This is going to be a great game and it wouldn't surprise me at all to see the Packs win. And it won't ruin the reason of the season for me. GB is the best in the league IMO.

The Pack was decent against the run last season, it was passing that killed them. Forgetting about that Blount embarrassment, of course...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 5:33:15 PM
I have to practice at 7 I won't be watching ****
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 6:18:37 PM
At 9/5/2012 5:33:15 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
I have to practice at 7 I won't be watching ****

It'll be a boring game anyway. Giants 32 Cowboys 7.
kfc
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 6:20:17 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com...

Apparently Peyton Manning's Jersey is "gang-affiliated" in Colorado.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 8:58:20 PM
At 9/5/2012 8:56:43 PM, Agent_Orange wrote:
Halftime. Giants look...ugly out there. But then again since this isn't the playoffs why wouldn't they?

This is crazy. Who would have thought the Cowboys would have been ahead at the half.

Giants are still going to win, but still.
kfc
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 9:41:11 PM
At 9/5/2012 9:39:16 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Giants need to try to remember how to run the ball.

They need to remember how to do everything. They are getting eaten alive. by Tony Romo
#BlackLivesMatter
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/5/2012 9:42:29 PM
At 9/5/2012 9:41:11 PM, Agent_Orange wrote:
At 9/5/2012 9:39:16 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
Giants need to try to remember how to run the ball.

They need to remember how to do everything. They are getting eaten alive. by Tony Romo

Tony Romo is a good QB, he just commits too many wtf plays that people tend to focus on.

He'll probably throw a late pick that costs them the win, so don't worry.