Jump to topic:

Greatest Athletes of All Time

chrumbelievable
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2012 1:32:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Michael Jordan, Babe Ruth, and Muhammad Ali are continuously classified as some of the greatest athletes of all time.

Who, in your opinion, is the greatest athlete of all time?

As a diehard hockey fan, my #1 pick is Wayne Gretzky. His skill was utterly remarkable, and he did an immeasurable amount for the NHL and hockey in general.
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2012 1:42:52 PM
At 9/28/2012 1:32:17 PM, chrumbelievable wrote:
Michael Jordan, Babe Ruth, and Muhammad Ali are continuously classified as some of the greatest athletes of all time.

Joe Louis was better than Muhammad Ali. He won 95.6 percent of his fights, compared with Ali's 91.8 percent, and KO'd an insane 74.3 percent of his opponents, compared with Ali's 60.7 percent.

Remember when Ali refused to fight in the Vietnam War? Louis did stand up to a government as well. The Nazi government. He fought Germany's great Max Schmeling. Hitler used the event to laud Aryan superiority., even extending the 1 a.m. curfew to 3 a.m. so that it could be broadcast for all to see. Louis knocked out Schmeling in two minutes and four seconds.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
MouthWash
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2012 1:44:09 PM
He was also black, btw. That's why it was so embarrassing for Hitler.
"Well, that gives whole new meaning to my assassination. If I was going to die anyway, perhaps I should leave the Bolsheviks' descendants some Christmas cookies instead of breaking their dishes and vodka bottles in their sleep." -Tsar Nicholas II (YYW)
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2012 8:05:54 PM
Deion Sanders. Unlike Michael Jordan he was very successful with both his careers. Baseball and Football. And what makes it even better was he played both at the same time.
#BlackLivesMatter
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/28/2012 11:16:17 PM
Wilt Chamberlain, easily. Was not only a basketball legend, but was a great volleyball player, and was a very gifted college Track and Field star.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
Ahmed.M
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2012 8:06:14 PM
At 9/28/2012 1:42:52 PM, MouthWash wrote:

Joe Louis was better than Muhammad Ali. He won 95.6 percent of his fights, compared with Ali's 91.8 percent, and KO'd an insane 74.3 percent of his opponents, compared with Ali's 60.7 percent.

Remember when Ali refused to fight in the Vietnam War? Louis did stand up to a government as well. The Nazi government. He fought Germany's great Max Schmeling. Hitler used the event to laud Aryan superiority., even extending the 1 a.m. curfew to 3 a.m. so that it could be broadcast for all to see. Louis knocked out Schmeling in two minutes and four seconds.

Muhammad Ali himself said that Sugar Ray Robinson was a legend, he said "The king, the master, my idol." [http://en.wikipedia.org...]. Joe Louis was without a doubt one of the best but Sugar Ray Robinson the best. His speed combined with punching power for the lighter weight divisions was unmatched. ESPN consistenly ranks him as the best boxer of all time.

Also your win percentage doesn't necessarily matter. Rocky Maricano was undefeated but that doesn't mean he's the best. Being the best depends on who you face, if you beat every great boxer in your era then you become the best of the best. This is what Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Robinson did. Muhammad ali defeated George Foreman, Joe Frazier and Sonny Liston. These were the best of the best although the Sonny Liston fights were controversial.

When you compare which boxer was the most defiant against the norms, Jack Johnson was the king. At a time when racism was blatant (early 1900s), Jack Johnson became the first black heavy weight champion. After he won his title race riots broke all over the U.S. Jack Johnson was so supremely confident despite the low confidence of blacks at the time. He married 3 white women which were major social taboos and literally stood up against white america and won.

Joe Louis whilst still an icon conformed to the standards of white america. He didn't get with white women, he didn't look down on the white boxers he destroyed but instead was very humble and acted the way whites wanted him too. He wasn't like Jack Johnson. Jack Johnson boosted the whole morale of African Americans during that time.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
9/30/2012 9:35:32 PM
Lionel Messi will be for sure but he's not even yet close to done with his career.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 3:32:27 PM
Every sport requires different skills, and it would be difficult to say who the best overall athlete would be given we don't know all of the individual details regarding many of their abilities. Orange made a good point about Deion Sanders, as his versatility to perform well at elite (professional) level in two different sports is pretty impressive. However if we look at an individual body of work in their respective sport, I might have to say Michael Jordan. When we look at athletes from years ago, we notice that many of them were absolutely dominant during their day but would probably not make it today. That is especially true of sports like football where the players today are just so much more massive in size. Admittedly, I'm not familiar enough with Wilt Chamberlain's performance (I only know his stats, which are pretty useless in this argument). Would he play up to elite standards even against the athletes of today? I'm not sure. Meanwhile, I think that Michael Jordan in his prime could easily compete with the best today - the likes of Kobe, LeBron and whatnot. So I think that in order to come up with an answer, we need to think about who at their very best would still be able to be considered the best if they played during ANY era. Hmm. I don't know enough about sports history maybe - especially boxing and such. Tiger Woods is probably a good contender, though golf doesn't require a whole lot of overall athleticism...
President of DDO
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 3:58:01 PM
I don't think Wilt could compete as well in today's NBA. No offense to him, but even NBA analyst agree with me here. There's a different NBA now because guys train differently. Advances in science makes guys stronger and faster. More resilient. Sure you had Big O but I'd take Dwight over him any day. And I'd take Shaq over Wilt.
#BlackLivesMatter
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 4:03:04 PM
MJ would still own though but I think Kobe is underrated. To me there's no way he's not second greatest player of all time. I honestly think he misses on purpose to make himself seem more human. I watch that guy tell a fan "watch this" on an inbound, pass the ball in play, take one step forward, get the ball back and drain a three with a man in his face. That's like Babe Ruth pointing out his home run. That's insane talent.
#BlackLivesMatter
Ahmed.M
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2012 10:33:56 PM
Sugar Ray Robinson is the greatest athlete of all time. The only reason he is not seen as such is because his era was in the past 1940s. Athletic greatness is not contingent on time.
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2012 1:57:14 PM
Just speaking from the athletic ability I have been fortunate enough to see with my own eyes I'm gonna go with
- Michael Phelps
- George St Pierre
- Lebron James
- Derrick Rose
- Adrian Peterson
- Andre Ward
- Floyd Mayweather

I think these would be considered to me the greatest athletes in the decade that I started to watch sports.
Bradybarthold
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 8:40:11 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
By far the best athlete of all time is Bo Jackson, no one even compares to how skilled and talented he was. you can not compare eras so you can not say that he was only good because he played way back when, Bo Jackson was a professional 2 sport athlete that was not only just able to compete, but was an all star in both sports.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 9:02:30 AM
I'm gonna go with Michael Jordan. It's tough just to compare physical skill, because of so many variables. Jordan had one skill that seems to set him apart that's wholly different than physicality - the smarts to take a smaller salary so that his team could afford even more talent and become probably the most dominant major sports franchise of all time. MJ invented "dream team" and there hasn't been anything before or after that compares. It comes down to championships in the end.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/14/2013 9:50:42 AM
Jim Thorpe

http://www.smithsonianmag.com...

- Shattered Records at the 1912 Olympics, most of which werent broken till decades later. Some of which still stand.

- The only reason he is barely mentioned is because his medals were stripped, wrongly in fact, due to his violation of the "amateurism" rule of the Olympics.

- he played not one, not two, but three sports professionally. Football, Baseball, Basketball

- was likely college footballs first two-thousand yard rusher in a season. He ran for 1869 yards in a season in which two of the games statistics went unrecorded.

Just, Jim Thorpe, hands down, Greatest Athlete of All-Time. I think theres old Olympic footage of the 1912 Olympics, but not sure if its on the Internet. I remember watching an ESPN special in him in which there was some footage, it was absolutely rediculous how much of a pure athlete he was. Just, better then anyone and everyone at the time, and a large majority of athletes today still
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2013 7:20:49 AM
Muhammad Ali is the greatest boxer of all time. I know sugar ray Robinson has over 100+ fights and most boxers will probably say he's the best of all time just based on that fact. But Muhammad Ali has been in so many wars at so many different points in his life. Muhammad Ali really made boxing interesting and all his fights had a story due to his colorful personality. Ali wars with Sonny Liston, Ken Norton, George Forman, Joe Frazier, Floyd Patterson, Archie Moore, and I'm probably forgetting others. Boxing today lacks the guys with heart anymore.

Muhammad Ali, Michael Jordan, Joe Montana, And Jerry Rice are the guys I consider the greatest athletes of all time. In time I'm sure ill add Jon Jones to the list if the UFC really does overtake boxing in terms of popularity. If Lebron wins 7 rings I will say he overtakes Jordan but I highly doubt that will happen.
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2013 12:53:44 PM
Babe Ruth is probably the best of all time.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
slo1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/17/2013 3:59:04 PM
At 5/14/2013 8:40:11 AM, Bradybarthold wrote:
By far the best athlete of all time is Bo Jackson, no one even compares to how skilled and talented he was. you can not compare eras so you can not say that he was only good because he played way back when, Bo Jackson was a professional 2 sport athlete that was not only just able to compete, but was an all star in both sports.

I'll say this if he would not have had the hip problem and could have had some longevity there would not even be a question on the greatest of all time. It would be Bo. The guy was amazing.

He would have been in running of world record for track and field in the 100m if he went that route. He is one of those guys you could put in any competition for any sport and he would have been a contender. You can't say that for 95% of the people on the list of top athletes.
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 10:59:37 AM
Scottie Pippen is on record saying Lebron would own Michael Jordan. And he's right. At 6'8", 265 pounds LeBron is a lightning bruiser. Mike and Kobe are better overall players but LeBron James is the most physically gifted athlete to ever play in the NBA.
#BlackLivesMatter
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/18/2013 11:10:52 AM
At 5/18/2013 10:59:37 AM, Agent_Orange wrote:
Scottie Pippen is on record saying Lebron would own Michael Jordan. And he's right. At 6'8", 265 pounds LeBron is a lightning bruiser. Mike and Kobe are better overall players but LeBron James is the most physically gifted athlete to ever play in the NBA.

Agreed.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2013 10:04:59 AM
I have to point out its not the greatest player in their respective sports, it's the greatest athletes. I am judging on the scale of athleticism. Wilt Chamberlain was 7'1, and even when he was at the end of his career, he was incredibly strong. He was 300-325 lbs. at the end of his career, yet, unlike Shaq, almost all of it was muscle. Again, I must mention that he was a track star at the University of Kansas, as he was extraordinarily great at the High Jump, and he also competed in the sprints. His height, combined with his vertical and his wingspan, allowed him to block shots that were at high points in the air. He could block a shot that was 13 feet in the air, and more. He was so durable, that in the 1961-1962 season, the season in which he AVERAGED 50 points a game, he played 80 basketball games. Including the overtimes in those games, Wilt Chamberlain only missed 8 minutes that whole season. 8 MINUTES. NBA teams were still asking for him to play for them after he retired. NBA Teams were still trying to get him when he was 50 years old. He was still so strong. He actually was able to lift Arnold Shwarzenegger in the 80's. He was the greatest athlete that ever lived.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
Just-Your-Average-Atheist
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/25/2013 1:03:11 PM

Who, in your opinion, is the greatest athlete of all time?

As a diehard hockey fan, my #1 pick is Wayne Gretzky. His skill was utterly remarkable, and he did an immeasurable amount for the NHL and hockey in general.

I find that those guys who hijacked the plane on 9-11 were the greatest athletes. Think about it, they cleared a whole building while flying.
Hugs and horns,
J.Y.A.A.
deever
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/28/2013 11:49:06 PM
If we want to determine the greatest athlete of all time, you have to see who is more athletic. Most likely, the greatest athlete will come from basketball or football, because they require an extreme level of athleticism. It is harder to sports like hockey because they require certain specific skill. On that note, I would not choose Babe Ruth because he couldn't run well. He was strong and could throw, but not much out of that. I would choose Mickey Mantle as the greatest athlete of all time. He had great speed, was very strong and had the perfect anatomy for a baseball player.
ZachyDiz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/8/2013 11:24:09 PM
The greatest athlete of all time would have to be Ty Cobb. He is ranked second all time for hits in his career and his first of all time in batting average. He is barely talked about, yet very successful at the plate. Also, currently I believe Lebron James is very successful at basketball and is arguably the greatest current athlete of all time. I would also like to nominate Tom Brady.
TSDN
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/14/2013 1:56:53 PM
Sugar Ray Robinson and Floyd Mayweather Jr. are the greatest athletes of all time in my opinion! Boxers are the most physically condition athletes on earth
The Last Sports Network You Will Ever Join!
www.TheDebateNetwork.com
Sower4GS
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/21/2013 3:46:11 PM
At 9/28/2012 1:44:09 PM, MouthWash wrote:
He was also black, btw. That's why it was so embarrassing for Hitler.

Air max is ticked, I believe He or She (duno really never met em) is a Jew. YHWH is convicting Him the Maschiach is here and He will have none of it. I will be back after a while. In the mean-time Seek truth in Scripture, YHWH may close this door the the seed He has planted through His servant Sower For the Good Sheppard can grow, I will be back before Ya'acob's Trouble (Tribulation) takes full hold to Reap the Harvest. Shalom.

Look the Father's name, your Creator and His Son are ONE.
YHWH means "Set apart" ok? Not from this Earth. He Created it and you and everything. Simple. Yet He is Awesome.

That is why people cannot comprehend him and demand proof First, well it does not work that way. Trust first, make a decision, then Blessings. Salvation and the whole Whammy follow.

See you all around, As the Governor of Cali said once "I'll be back" For Intellectuals you sure are a rowdy bunch. If YHWH was not convicting the socks off of you then you would all of actually found me quite funny and likable. But it is not about me, now is it. My name is Yohanan. It means John in English and YHWH is Gracious. Bye you guys....hahaha I had some good laughs.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/26/2013 10:26:41 PM
LOL

Yeah I would pick Michael Jordan and add Ty Cobb, Bo Jackson, and Jerry Rice.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
AnDoctuir
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/27/2013 3:12:32 PM
At 9/28/2012 1:42:52 PM, MouthWash wrote:

That is awesome.
fartingsaucer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/31/2013 3:06:30 PM
AS a Red Wings fan, Gordie Howe has got to be considered as one of the 5 best hockey players ever. Being able to stay in such a physical game for 25 years is remarkable.
No signature here