Total Posts:15|Showing Posts:1-15
Jump to topic:

Greatest Boxers of All Time

chrumbelievable
Posts: 210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2012 2:52:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Muhammad Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson, Joe Louis... All of these men are frequently at the top of many "Greatest Boxers of All Time" lists. Muhammad Ali, in particular, is often crowned with the title "Greatest Athlete of All Time." Do you agree?

Who else would you add to this list of great boxers, and why?
Ahmed.M
Posts: 616
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2012 3:05:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/4/2012 2:52:20 PM, chrumbelievable wrote:
Muhammad Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson, Joe Louis... All of these men are frequently at the top of many "Greatest Boxers of All Time" lists. Muhammad Ali, in particular, is often crowned with the title "Greatest Athlete of All Time." Do you agree?

Who else would you add to this list of great boxers, and why?

Almost all students of boxing will tell you that Sugar Ray Robinson was the best boxer of all time. Muhammad Ali himself said the Sugar Ray Robinson was much better than him. The most official list of the world's greatest boxers lists him as number one, the ESPN [http://sports.espn.go.com...]. He has won his first 123 fights with only one loss he avenged five times after.

The reason why people say that Muhammad Ali or Mike Tyson are the greatest is because the current generation today is more familiar with their eras as they were more recent rather than legends like Joe Louis, Sugar Ray Robinson, Henry Armstrong, and Jack Johnson. Muhammad Ali was indeed one of the greatest, for sure in the top 5 but not the best.

And then you have people say that people like floyd mayweather is the greatest boxer of all time, its a joke. If only they knew the legends that existed in other boxing eras.
Ahmed.M
Posts: 616
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2012 3:07:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
also the reason why I say Sugar Ray Robinson is the greatest athlete of all time is because boxing is the hardest sport in the world. It requires a high amount of dedication, talent, heart, and skills to be in the sport of boxing. The ESPN once again ranks boxing as the world's hardest sport using a rigorous criteria which has 10 different criteria [http://sports.espn.go.com...] .
THEBOMB
Posts: 2,872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2012 3:12:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/4/2012 2:52:20 PM, chrumbelievable wrote:
Muhammad Ali, Sugar Ray Robinson, Joe Louis... All of these men are frequently at the top of many "Greatest Boxers of All Time" lists. Muhammad Ali, in particular, is often crowned with the title "Greatest Athlete of All Time." Do you agree?

Who else would you add to this list of great boxers, and why?

Sugar Ray Robinson is most definitely the greatest boxer.
THEBOMB
Posts: 2,872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2012 3:18:02 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/4/2012 3:07:56 PM, Ahmed.M wrote:
also the reason why I say Sugar Ray Robinson is the greatest athlete of all time is because boxing is the hardest sport in the world. It requires a high amount of dedication, talent, heart, and skills to be in the sport of boxing. The ESPN once again ranks boxing as the world's hardest sport using a rigorous criteria which has 10 different criteria [http://sports.espn.go.com...] .

People who think one sport is easier than another (to be good at least) have not played that sport. The people who say swimming is easier than surfing obviously have not done either. Both are hard, I know, but it takes much more physicality to be a good swimmer than it does to be a good surfer (no offense to any surfers who may be here.)
Ahmed.M
Posts: 616
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2012 3:22:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/4/2012 3:18:02 PM, THEBOMB wrote:
At 10/4/2012 3:07:56 PM, Ahmed.M wrote:
also the reason why I say Sugar Ray Robinson is the greatest athlete of all time is because boxing is the hardest sport in the world. It requires a high amount of dedication, talent, heart, and skills to be in the sport of boxing. The ESPN once again ranks boxing as the world's hardest sport using a rigorous criteria which has 10 different criteria [http://sports.espn.go.com...] .

People who think one sport is easier than another (to be good at least) have not played that sport. The people who say swimming is easier than surfing obviously have not done either. Both are hard, I know, but it takes much more physicality to be a good swimmer than it does to be a good surfer (no offense to any surfers who may be here.)

I know that there is a subjective bias, but I think the evidence I cited has the least bias. They had a full framework.
Chicken
Posts: 1,296
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/4/2012 5:55:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Mike Tyson is definitely top 3, Tyson's punch was monstrous, making him the hardest hitting boxer in history, his aggressiveness and intimidating body language made him extremely intimidating, even when he was only 20. At the age of 20 he set the record for being the youngest Heavyweight boxer of all time.

http://sports.espn.go.com...
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
Loserboi
Posts: 1,232
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2012 1:43:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/4/2012 5:55:55 PM, Chicken wrote:
Mike Tyson is definitely top 3, Tyson's punch was monstrous, making him the hardest hitting boxer in history, his aggressiveness and intimidating body language made him extremely intimidating, even when he was only 20. At the age of 20 he set the record for being the youngest Heavyweight boxer of all time.

http://sports.espn.go.com...

I wouldn't say mike Tyson was the hardest puncher in boxing history. He got knockouts but he was not the hardest puncher in history. Most people recognize Joe Louis as the hardest puncher in the history of the sport. Mile Tyson is not even in the top 10 on most lists.
Loserboi
Posts: 1,232
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2012 1:57:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Greatest boxer of all time for me is always Muhammad Ali. I know sugar ray Robinson did this and that, won 150+ bouts. But Muhammad Ali was fun to watch, he had the charisma to get everyone interested. A well rounded fighter who plays defense and offense. He has a whole list of legends that he has overtaken in his career. Geoege Foreman, Sonny Liston, Ken Norton, Joe Frazier, Floyd Patterson and more I can't remember.
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2012 5:33:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/5/2012 1:43:37 PM, Loserboi wrote:
At 10/4/2012 5:55:55 PM, Chicken wrote:
Mike Tyson is definitely top 3, Tyson's punch was monstrous, making him the hardest hitting boxer in history, his aggressiveness and intimidating body language made him extremely intimidating, even when he was only 20. At the age of 20 he set the record for being the youngest Heavyweight boxer of all time.

http://sports.espn.go.com...

I wouldn't say mike Tyson was the hardest puncher in boxing history. He got knockouts but he was not the hardest puncher in history. Most people recognize Joe Louis as the hardest puncher in the history of the sport. Mile Tyson is not even in the top 10 on most lists.

It's not about how hard he punched. Tyson could put together combinations of hooks and uppercuts like no other.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Ahmed.M
Posts: 616
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/5/2012 9:55:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Mike Tyson would have went on to be the best of all time if he hadn't been slacking off after his mentor and father figure Cus D'Amato died. He also fired Kevin Rooney which was devastating to the rest of his career. Mike Tyson himself said that his career ended after he lost to james buster douglas.
THEBOMB
Posts: 2,872
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/12/2012 11:59:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/4/2012 3:23:50 PM, Ahmed.M wrote:
also how do you determine who is the best athlete without first knowing what sport requires the most athleticism?

The top athlete of almost every sport is the best. Each sport requires something different. It's comparing apples and oranges, impossible.
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2012 12:04:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 10/4/2012 3:07:56 PM, Ahmed.M wrote:
also the reason why I say Sugar Ray Robinson is the greatest athlete of all time is because boxing is the hardest sport in the world. It requires a high amount of dedication, talent, heart, and skills to be in the sport of boxing. The ESPN once again ranks boxing as the world's hardest sport using a rigorous criteria which has 10 different criteria [http://sports.espn.go.com...] .

That list puts basket-ball above wrestling.

It lost all credibility for me there.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.
RyuuKyuzo
Posts: 3,074
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/13/2012 12:25:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
To be honest, to even put boxing above wrestling kills that list for me. I've done both, and wrestling is by far more physically demanding. One minute of wrestling is easily harder than 3 minutes of boxing -- which is why boxers can go for 12 round, while wrestlers go for 3.

Yeah, you get punched in the head in boxing, but at least this stuff doesn't happen to you >>

COME AT ME, BOXERS.
If you're reading this, you're awesome and you should feel awesome.