Jump to topic:

NFL Top 5

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 10:30:31 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
What a happy Monday! First of all, my Giants manhandled the Niners in a way I couldn't be more proud of (boo yah to all the SF fans here). I was admittedly really nervous about that game. Last week Adam Schefter didn't list the Giants in his top 5 power rankings, which I thought was complete BS and apparently I was right (I believe they are a top 3 team). What are your top 5 power teams? In no particular order, mine are the Giants, Niners, Packers, Texans and Falcons. I know a few of you might raise your eyebrows at the inclusion of the Packers, but... suck it :)
President of DDO
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 12:17:41 PM
Falcons, Giants, Texans, Bears, Ravens in that order.

Niners are off the top five after being trounced by the Giants.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 5:56:52 PM
Niners just had a bad game. The game plan was bad. They should have stuck with what works. Ground and pound. Alex Smith wasn't himself or rather was his old self. He refused to throw the ball to Vernon Davis even though he was open a lot. It looked as if the game plan was"get the ball to receivers first, tight ends second"

Great game by the Giants but the Niners are still the better team. Yeah they beat the Niners but so did the Vikings. The Niners have a way of underestimating opponents and getting punched in the mouth because of it. They should bounce back in a huge way against Seattle.

And we still outscored all New York teams 82-29 lol
#BlackLivesMatter
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/15/2012 11:11:56 PM
The Falcons show an impressive ability to defeat teams that are sub-par. There's really not much more to say about them and never has. Well I guess you can point out that they have awesome receivers...

The Niners are scary, despite being pummeled by the Giants. They have the most elite Defense around and just got a 300/300 game - a statistic that didn't even exist until last week. Luck is always going to be a factor in a stat like that, but luck can't do it alone.

The Packers are on track to repeating their 2010 season. Both started at 3-3, and the defense looks much more like the 2010 version than the 2011 one. The Packers have shown they can overcome any obstacle; the worst pass-defense ever quietly became #1 in the league through the first 4 games, and still ranks relatively well. A piss-poor sacking rate has been replaced with the league's best. Even without their all-pro receiver, and a tight end that drops more balls than a virgin boy in a whore-house, Rodgers still managed a 6-TD game the other night. That stat actually has special meaning here because the only other Packers' QB to accomplish that was not Brett Favre or Bart Starr, not even Don Majkowsky - it was none other than the Seahawks' back-up QB Matt Flynn. Thankfully that record only lasted 10 months :P

The Giants are doing what they do best - riding out a tumultuous regular season while preparing to make a playoff run. If they don't blow the whole thing to the Eagles, which shouldn't (in theory) be that difficult, then they will be a truly feared team in the playoffs. Nobody wants to see Eli Manning roll into town in January, that's for sure.

The Pats, as usual, beat up on an underwhelming AFC and in all likelihood will play the SB against one of the aforementioned 3 NFC teams; neither Flacco nor Schaub will be able to keep up with Brady's assault. If we never get to see a Rodgers/Brady Superbowl then it will truly be a tragedy for the ages...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 11:02:59 AM
At 10/15/2012 11:58:07 AM, Koopin wrote:
Falcons are overrated. I cant wait for them to play a real team.

Denver and San Diego are "real teams." They beat the Chargers 27-3. They'll win at least 11 games this season, so they'll be in the playoffs. I don't think they're overrated because I'm not saying they're number 1, but I think they're top 5 for sure. At this point I'd say #4, because of what Rob pointed out: their awesome receivers/TE. Matty Ice isn't entirely consistent but certainly capable, and his receivers help him out a lot.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 11:46:27 AM
At 10/15/2012 5:56:52 PM, Agent_Orange wrote:
Niners just had a bad game. The game plan was bad. They should have stuck with what works. Ground and pound. Alex Smith wasn't himself or rather was his old self. He refused to throw the ball to Vernon Davis even though he was open a lot. It looked as if the game plan was"get the ball to receivers first, tight ends second"

Great game by the Giants but the Niners are still the better team. Yeah they beat the Niners but so did the Vikings. The Niners have a way of underestimating opponents and getting punched in the mouth because of it. They should bounce back in a huge way against Seattle.

And we still outscored all New York teams 82-29 lol

You know, I'm not so sure that the Niners are the better team. I think the Giants are better-- at absolute best they're neck and neck. For one thing, they didn't just lose - they got ABUSED. The Niners went in with a chip on their shoulder regarding last year's NFC championship game, and were still humiliated on their own turf.

First of all, The Niners were beat on defense. Your QBs were sacked 6 times for a total of 48 lost yards. Justin Tuck and JPP are awesome. The Giants defense have held their opponents to fewer than 85 rushing yards in the last four of five games. Clearly Harbaugh didn't think the run would be effective, and rightfully so. The Giants attacked the run early-on particularly regarding JPP. They also had plays prepared for the Niners run fronts. The Niners weren't productive with the run because the Giants beat them on it, which is why they stopped with those plays. Also, keep in mind that INTs aren't necessarily a reflection of poor quarterbacking but perhaps good defense (though admittedly Smith wasn't accurate with the Giants tight coverage).

The Niners were also beat on offense, and that's not surprising given the Giants' roster. I think you're underrating them-- let's break down their teams. First, the most important position or facet of any team is their QB. Eli Manning is an elite QB with 2 Superbowl MVPs and a ton of comebacks under his belt. He's consistent and cool as a cucumber. Alex Smith gets rattled more often, and there's no doubt that anyone in their right mind would take Eli over Alex in a heartbeat. He's simply a lot better and the one you'd want in a pinch or big game.

As far as receivers go, TE Vernon Davis is the best on the Niners, though he can easily be rivaled by Victor Cruz who is extraordinary in the slot. With RBs, yes Gore is better than Bradshaw but our back-up David Wilson is no scrub and a great kick returner. I actually think he'll earn a spot ahead of Bradshaw at some point. I have a feeling that the Giants' running game is going to improve. But yeah, I'll admit that the Niners have a slightly better run game for now. Perhaps it would be better if they had a better O-line; I personally think the Giants O-line is one of the best if not THE best in the league (I'm not sure of the stats or if there's a ranking for that). Keep in mind Eli Manning hasn't been sacked in 3 games.

As for receivers as a whole, I would take Nicks/ Hixon/ Randle over Crabtree/ Moss/ Manningham. Perhaps that's debate-able given the G-men's recent injuries, but either way it's neck and neck - especially because the Giants have a much better QB which gives them the edge.

Now let's talk defense. Here's the thing: the Giants have a ton of star power on defense, though simply haven't been productive with it... but I think that's about to change. I mentioned Tuck and JPP, but I think what the Giants lack in talent or athleticism compared to the Niners they make up for in coaching. So let's give important team elements certain points for ranking...

- QB (7) Giants
- Defense (6) Niners
- Receivers (5) Giants
- Running Backs (4) Niners
- Special Teams (3) Niners
- Coaching (2) Giants
- Clutch (1) Giants

Giants ~ 15
Niners ~ 13

The receivers/special teams were close, so yeah perhaps they should both have 14 points. Who knows. Like I said, at best they're neck and neck. Keep in mind that the once elite special teams of the Niners though have blown it lately and become a liability this season. Also, I would trust the Giants in big games. Notice how they've always been hot and clutch at the right times, whereas various players on the Niners seem to blow it. It's a tough call. But either way both of these teams will be in the playoffs, so let's see what happens at the end of the season. I have a hard time saying though that the Niners are better, because the facts of them playing each other, especially in SF, seem to indicate otherwise.

And you know, yes the Vikings beat SF also but you can't use that as an argument that even bad teams get lucky, because the Vikings aren't THAT bad. They're ranked #10 in the power rankings. I dunno... I'd take the Giants. Feel free to say otherwise but like I said we'll see who toughs it out in the playoffs. I don't hate the Niners and wish them the best of luck either way, especially since 2 Giants players whom I like are now on their team :P
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2012 11:52:00 AM
Rob, I agree with what you said but who do you think the top 5 teams are? I think you mentioned the Niners, Packers, Giants and Pats in your post. While I agree that the Pats will make the playoffs, their defense has been sub-par. Their offense is still great, but the Giants can hold them down in big games-- another argument in favor of the Giants D perhaps being underrated (like I said, a few years ago the Giants were known for punishing QBs and that showed in the Niners game with 6 sacks - not to mention our 2 INTs when Alex Smith hasn't thrown INTs in awhile). Like you said, the Giants win games when it matters. If I had to choose one of those teams to win it I'd say the Giants are more likely for now, just because I think they're more mature and have a certain veteran sense of endurance, which I think has a lot to do with Tom Coughlin and Eli Manning.
President of DDO
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 9:44:32 AM
At 10/15/2012 12:17:41 PM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
Falcons, Giants, Texans, Bears, Ravens in that order.

Niners are off the top five after being trounced by the Giants.

Texans, Giants, Falcons, Ravens, 49ers (giving them another chance.)

Tempted to put the Patriots on this list, but their record just is to bad. However, if you add up the point deficit of all their losses it would be 4. FREAK'N 4 POINTS FOR THREE LOSSES. However, shockingly I picked the Jets to beat the Patriots.

Also, I hate the Falcons. The minute they play a better team they are going to fail horribly.
kfc
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 11:27:45 AM
Yes, that is pretty shocking. In the case of a fragile, mostly injured Jets team vs. Tom Brady and Bill Belichick with a chip on their shoulder coming off a tough loss (not to mention a handful of receiving weapons and an underrated run-game), I'd take the latter any day. How the hell is a defense without Revis going to stop them? Actually, I might reconsider putting the Pats instead of the Packers on my top 5. The Packers play better defense, but with their RBs injured have a very one-sided offensive structure. Still, that didn't stop Aaron Rodgers from throwing 6 TD passes last weekend.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 11:38:49 AM
The top 10 power rankings according to Danielle and not the NFL or ESPN.

1. Texans
2. Giants
3. Niners
4. Falcons
5. Patriots
6. Packers
7. Ravens
8. Bears
9. Broncos
10. Seahawks

Disagree?
President of DDO
Chicken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 4:14:54 PM
At 10/17/2012 11:38:49 AM, Danielle wrote:

1. Texans
2. Giants
3. Niners
4. Falcons
5. Patriots
6. Packers
7. Ravens
8. Bears
9. Broncos
10. Seahawks

Disagree?

I love you, and I want to have your baby (You literally have it in almost the exact same order i do.)
Only difference between my top 10 and yours,

Switch giants and niners to 3-2 respectively, and bears and broncos.
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
Chicken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 4:15:25 PM
At 10/17/2012 4:14:54 PM, Chicken wrote:
At 10/17/2012 11:38:49 AM, Danielle wrote:

1. Texans
2. Giants
3. Niners
4. Falcons
5. Patriots
6. Packers
7. Ravens
8. Bears
9. Broncos
10. Seahawks

Disagree?

I love you, and I want to have your baby (You literally have it in almost the exact same order i do.)

Even after the whopping defeat by NYG, 9'ers are still a bit better IMO
Disciple of Koopin

Servant of Kfc
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 5:06:01 PM
@ Danielle

I would put the Bears at five, ahead of the Niners, Pats, and Packers. I previously had the Bears in front of the Ravens, but I changed my mind.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 7:03:45 PM
At 10/17/2012 11:27:45 AM, Danielle wrote:
How the hell is a defense without Revis going to stop them?

Completely forgot about that, and the Pats are playing at home. Yeah, I'm changing my pick.

It's gonna be a critical game whatever happens. My boss tried to scheduled me for work that day, I immediately called him.
kfc
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 8:40:07 PM
1) Giants
2) Packers
3) 49ers
4) Patriots
5) Seahawks
6) Texans
7) Ravens
8) Broncos
9) Falcons
10) Bears

Not exactly a whole of thought going into this but this is how I feel.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2012 9:47:10 PM
At 10/17/2012 8:40:07 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
1) Giants
2) Packers
3) 49ers
4) Patriots
5) Seahawks
6) Texans
7) Ravens
8) Broncos
9) Falcons
10) Bears

Not exactly a whole of thought going into this but this is how I feel.

What the...
kfc
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 9:14:36 AM

Interesting... I suppose the Bears and Broncos could be switched. As for the Niners and Giants, I gave a pretty in depth analysis of why I would pick the Giants over the Niners. Perhaps the Niners are the better team insofar as their likelihood of beating other teams, but when it comes to beating each other, I think the Giants would win... and they've pretty much proven that :P
President of DDO
Chicken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 4:28:46 PM
At 10/18/2012 9:14:36 AM, Danielle wrote:

Interesting... I suppose the Bears and Broncos could be switched. As for the Niners and Giants, I gave a pretty in depth analysis of why I would pick the Giants over the Niners. Perhaps the Niners are the better team insofar as their likelihood of beating other teams, but when it comes to beating each other, I think the Giants would win... and they've pretty much proven that :P

Your analysis is based off of a 1v1 standoff, but as you stated later, Giants are good, against the best teams (Irony)... Yet look at their regular season records for the past 4 seasons, they tend to actually beat teams over .500 and lose to teams under .500 or barely above the mark. Matchups are huge in the NFL and unless the giants are playing 49'er like teams (Extremely good defense, relatively average offense), which they are not, they are not likely to go past the first round of the playoffs, assuming Dallas continues to suck D!ck. I hate the cowboys, don't care much for your Giants, although I love the Manning Bro's. Giants in the Playoffs either power through or lose in the first round, possibly the most volatile team in the league which is precisely why we will give them such a high ranking no matter how bad their defense is. Ultimately this is how the standing will play out-

AFC Championship game- Texans and Ravens (NO PATRIOTS)

Winner- Texans

NFC Championship game- Blast from the past- Giants (What?! Past the first round? Then they will win the Superbowl right?!) and 49'ers

Winner- 49'ers

Texans win the superbowl, Harbaugh throws a fit, and everyone goes home thinking what the fvck happened?
Disciple of Koopin

Servant of Kfc
Chicken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 4:46:27 PM
At 10/18/2012 9:14:36 AM, Danielle wrote:

If the 9'ers lose to the Seahawks today, then I will rank them back to 3 and Giants to 2. I strongly believe in the powers of Patrick Willis, and the 9'ers Defense.

The two teams that i feel have the best chance at shocking everyone this year would be the Broncos (Yo boy Eli's Bro) and the Seahawks.

The Broncos were 77 to 6 in 4th quarter points scored to allowed (1st in the NFL in points scored in 4th, and 1st in fewest points allowed in 4th quarter), but have one of the lowest scores for the first two quarters in the entire NFL, what does this tell you about the team? Theirs alot of work to be done, and it takes a long time for clear communication between teammates to take place. If the Broncos were to somehow harness Peyton Manning's complicated Offense, they may win, as he is running plays directly from Tony Dungy's Playbook (The same playbook that won him the Superbowl). It seems like alot to ask, but in reality, and no matter how much the commentators and teammates of Manning may say they know his strategy, they don't. If they did, you would see Manning execute his plays very precisely, his 3 picks against the Falcons came mainly from tips/ Misguidance by a Wide Receiver whether on a slant route gone wrong or just not following the play. I miss the good old Colts, which the Atlanta Falcons are mimicking right now, with a Pocket QB (Manning now Ryan) 2 top 10 Wide Receivers (Harrison-Wayne now Jones-White) and a great RB (James now Turner, although Turner is no where near as good so far, he's still a great RB) And of course a good Secondary (Not overall Defense, but the secondary for the Old Colts is just like this new Atlanta Secondary) Give Atlanta 1-2 seasons and they may win a Superbowl. As for the Broncos, Peyton Manning has a better shot than most people think. If Von Miller stays healthy, the Broncos defense should be top 15-top 10 overall. I highly doubt it will get into the top 5 even after that wreckage at San Diego.

Seahawks (Look at their Defense, and their Ranks in YPG, PPG, RYPG, and PYPG) They have an insane defense this year, and their offense isn't bad with Russel Wilson, (They are 3-3 in my eyes, although technically 4-2 for now) This 49'rs game won't necessarily seal the deal, even if they somehow blew out the 9'ers at home. What I want to see more of is the Seahawks Offense, their defense is already good enough to carry the team against opponents under .500, however it's quite obvious a decent offense will be needed. Russel Wilson is definitely a good Rookie QB, maybe the best of the 4, however he hasn't done anything to make him an "Above Average" QB, nothing stands out for that Seahawks Offense, in comparison to their defense, which does carry their team in many games.
Disciple of Koopin

Servant of Kfc
Chicken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 6:34:47 PM
At 10/18/2012 5:09:33 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 10/18/2012 4:28:46 PM, Chicken wrote:

Texans win the superbowl.

lol

Hmm? So one loss to a good team is bad? We all know GB Packers are a good team, and their 3-3 record doesn't prove how good they are.

If you want to look at humiliation, go back the blowout by NYG against the 49'ers. Are the 49'ers still a top 3 team after that? The answer is yes. One loss doesn't define a team, if it can continue to win it will be fine.
Disciple of Koopin

Servant of Kfc
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 7:58:25 PM
At 10/18/2012 6:34:47 PM, Chicken wrote:
At 10/18/2012 5:09:33 PM, Koopin wrote:
At 10/18/2012 4:28:46 PM, Chicken wrote:

Texans win the superbowl.

lol

Hmm? So one loss to a good team is bad? We all know GB Packers are a good team, and their 3-3 record doesn't prove how good they are.

If you want to look at humiliation, go back the blowout by NYG against the 49'ers. Are the 49'ers still a top 3 team after that? The answer is yes. One loss doesn't define a team, if it can continue to win it will be fine.

They are overrated too. Their record looks impressive, but the teams they have played are not outstanding. I can't wait for the Pats to play them.
kfc
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 10:28:07 PM
What a horrible horrible game. The seahawks would have won big time if they did not drop every throw. What the heck was that anyway? Boo!
kfc
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 11:45:55 PM
At 10/18/2012 10:28:07 PM, Koopin wrote:
What a horrible horrible game. The seahawks would have won big time if they did not drop every throw. What the heck was that anyway? Boo!

Should have kept T.O.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/18/2012 11:54:01 PM
Sloppy game. From both sides. Alex Smith has Randy Moss wide open and throws it to the open defender. He needs to wake up. I still think he's a good QB, but he's in a major slump right now. And Harbaugh screwed me over in Fantasy Football by taking away that safety. A$$.
#BlackLivesMatter
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2012 9:25:09 AM
At 10/18/2012 11:54:01 PM, Agent_Orange wrote:
Sloppy game. From both sides. Alex Smith has Randy Moss wide open and throws it to the open defender. He needs to wake up. I still think he's a good QB, but he's in a major slump right now. And Harbaugh screwed me over in Fantasy Football by taking away that safety. A$$.

Well he would have been up by 9 pt... however Seattle could have theoretically delivered double on-side kicks for scores and won the game -_-
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2012 11:40:30 AM
At 10/19/2012 9:25:09 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
At 10/18/2012 11:54:01 PM, Agent_Orange wrote:

Well he would have been up by 9 pt... however Seattle could have theoretically delivered double on-side kicks for scores and won the game -_-

Somehow that doesn't seem likely.
kfc