Total Posts:31|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Sports Movies

Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2009 8:04:24 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
I absolutely HATE feel-good sports movies... especially those about racism. How many times can we see the SAME fuggin story-line? We get it. Sports was once all-white and then it wasn't. And yes, the black athletes struggled hard. Woop. We've seen the same plot time and again with just about every damn sport there is. We've even seen it in a debate movie now (not that debate is a sport), and who could forget Cool Runnings about the black bobsled team?! Anyway, to be fair, I also hate Rudy (that's right - I said it)! But I was wondering what sports movies you guys liked, or more specifically if there weren't any that were just obnoxious with cliche happy endings. Last night I watched The Express - the Ernie Davis story - and I thought it was decent :)
President of DDO
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2009 11:30:21 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/1/2009 8:04:24 AM, theLwerd wrote:
I absolutely HATE feel-good sports movies... especially those about racism. How many times can we see the SAME fuggin story-line? We get it. Sports was once all-white and then it wasn't. And yes, the black athletes struggled hard. Woop. We've seen the same plot time and again with just about every damn sport there is. We've even seen it in a debate movie now (not that debate is a sport), and who could forget Cool Runnings about the black bobsled team?! Anyway, to be fair, I also hate Rudy (that's right - I said it)! But I was wondering what sports movies you guys liked, or more specifically if there weren't any that were just obnoxious with cliche happy endings. Last night I watched The Express - the Ernie Davis story - and I thought it was decent :)

Bad news bears... with Billybob
Jerry Maguire... but thats not what you are looking for

and the best was

Rocky.... and he lost in the first one.... great
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2009 1:32:18 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Olympia by Leni Reifenstal.or however you spell it.

It's supposed to be good. Haven't seen it though ....D:
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
USAPitBull63
Posts: 668
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2009 5:53:04 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Some thoughts on sports movies:

*"Raging Bull" is probably the most overrated sports movie of all time.

*From Cleveland, I'm partial to "Major League." Classic.

*"Baseketball" is severely underrated. The Make-a-Wish kid wanting Chelsea Clinton still kills me.

*I liked the recent "The Longest Yard." Football movies usually suck, but this was all right.

*To be honest, my favorite baseball movie is probably "A League of Their Own." Honorable mention goes to "The Sandlot."

*My favorite sports movie, however, is "Miracle." I thought it would be cheesy, but it's not. Kurt Russell as Coach Herb Brooks is outstanding. The scene where he gasses the team until the rink closes ("AGAIN!")... dynamite. I genuinely feel patriotic watching that movie, not forced. Great hockey scenes, too.
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2009 7:07:30 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I have made my final decision...

Rocky is the best... semi sad ending, great story, and it is not about black oppression.
wjmelements
Posts: 8,206
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2009 7:36:13 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Not a big fan of Remember the Titans, Lwerd?

We had to watch 3 feel-good race-and-sports movies for SPEECH CLASS. Feel and embrace my pain.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
tmhustler
Posts: 68
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/1/2009 9:27:41 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
If your a decent pool player

pool hall junkies
color of money
The hustler

have to be the best
latest debate http://www.debate.org...
purpose of education only 3 votes so far
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/2/2009 6:31:13 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
A League of Their Own ftw! Oh and I LOVE The Sandlot. I've always wanted to see Miracle. I doubt I'll feel patriotic afterward lol but ya never know. Rocky is awesome, yes. I saw Baseketball a LONG time ago, so I don't really remember it. Hmm.
President of DDO
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2009 9:12:14 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/3/2009 8:18:18 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
The Waterboy. "Little girls are the devil!!"

that is a good one, but i resent the way the movie portrays that people from louisiana are as dumb as those characters.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2009 9:32:38 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/3/2009 9:12:14 AM, comoncents wrote:
At 10/3/2009 8:18:18 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
The Waterboy. "Little girls are the devil!!"

that is a good one, but i resent the way the movie portrays that people from louisiana are as dumb as those characters.

I know, they give them too much credit.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
wonderwoman
Posts: 744
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2009 1:52:27 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/2/2009 6:31:13 AM, theLwerd wrote:
A League of Their Own ftw! Oh and I LOVE The Sandlot. I've always wanted to see Miracle. I doubt I'll feel patriotic afterward lol but ya never know. Rocky is awesome, yes. I saw Baseketball a LONG time ago, so I don't really remember it. Hmm.

Yes, A League Of Their Own is a good movie. Rocky is ok. I mean honestly how many times can they make a boxing movie?

I would say The Rookie, The Natural, or Caddyshack are the best.
USAPitBull63
Posts: 668
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2009 4:15:46 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/2/2009 6:31:13 AM, theLwerd wrote:
I've always wanted to see Miracle. I doubt I'll feel patriotic afterward lol but ya never know.

It's not a preachy movie, which is why it works.

It's rare for me to actually root for characters/teams in sports movies, but this movie makes it easy to root for these scrappy no-names; and not because the movie tells me I have to, or that I should.
BrandonClark
Posts: 500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2009 6:08:42 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/1/2009 1:23:00 PM, theitalianstallion wrote:
Prefontaine.

Yes. On a dyestat thread about pre being a puss, someone said "I bet his drivers ed teacher feels like a jerk..." I laughed for a solid 3 minutes.
BLACKHAWKS 6-5 lN OVERTIME!!!
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/3/2009 6:55:29 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/3/2009 9:32:38 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 10/3/2009 9:12:14 AM, comoncents wrote:
At 10/3/2009 8:18:18 AM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
The Waterboy. "Little girls are the devil!!"

that is a good one, but i resent the way the movie portrays that people from louisiana are as dumb as those characters.

I know, they give them too much credit.

Maybe, but thank goodness it was Louisiana and not Ireland...
the people from Ireland are so much dumber that it would not have been a funny movie... just sad.
theitalianstallion
Posts: 1,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2009 3:30:51 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/1/2009 9:27:41 PM, tmhustler wrote:

pool hall junkies

Saw Pool Hall Junkies once, can't remember a thing about it, but know I loved it!
When Reach fell, I came.
leet4A1
Posts: 1,986
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2009 3:40:37 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
*"Baseketball" is severely underrated. The Make-a-Wish kid wanting Chelsea Clinton still kills me.

Baseketball underrated? I've never met anyone who didn't love that movie.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
BrandonClark
Posts: 500
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/6/2009 4:34:53 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/3/2009 1:34:31 PM, comoncents wrote:
little giants, and the mighty ducks...

That big bad private school in the mighty ducks movies is the school that I go to.
BLACKHAWKS 6-5 lN OVERTIME!!!
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2009 1:32:22 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
A League of Their Own, The Sandlot and Little Giants :P

Nah, I dunno. A bunch of em were fun when we were kids... like Major League and Rookie of the Year. Haha and Air Bud. Oh wait... The Karate Kid! And the THREE NINJAS :)
President of DDO
USAPitBull63
Posts: 668
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/9/2009 3:03:12 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
Actually, my favorite baseball movie might be 61*. Great movie, made for HBO, Billy Crystal the director. Barry Pepper and Thomas Jane are great as Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle. I'm not even a Yankees fan, but this is an underrated baseball movie.
CrusaderDebater
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2009 10:45:03 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
I loved "Dodgeball: A true underdog story" and "Field of Dreams." But "A League of Their Own" was a great movie and "Talladega Nights: The ballad of Ricky Bobby" was hilarious.
Heaven Doesn't Know
MikeLoviN
Posts: 746
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/2/2009 11:21:58 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
I still say Rudy is the best sports movie of all time... but I haven't seen anyone mention Kicking & Screaming which was reasonably funny.

Some others: The Replacements, The Mighty Ducks, the original Air Bud, Angels in the Outfield, Days of Thunder (as much as I hate NASCAR) ... just a few I didn't see at a glance of this forum
bkelley211
Posts: 74
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2010 11:57:41 AM
Posted: 6 years ago
I'm surprised no one mentioned Million Dollar Baby--one of my favorite movies. The ending is certainly not Disney-like. However, the story is uplifting.

The sport of boxing seems to lend itself to making excellent sports movies.
I-am-a-panda
Posts: 15,380
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/29/2010 12:34:16 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/29/2010 11:57:41 AM, bkelley211 wrote:
I'm surprised no one mentioned Million Dollar Baby--one of my favorite movies. The ending is certainly not Disney-like. However, the story is uplifting.

The sport of boxing seems to lend itself to making excellent sports movies.

Lol I had a debate on banning boxing, and someone brought that up on the CON side and forgot she dies at the end, quite ironic.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
bkelley211
Posts: 74
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2010 9:37:01 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 1/29/2010 12:34:16 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 1/29/2010 11:57:41 AM, bkelley211 wrote:
I'm surprised no one mentioned Million Dollar Baby--one of my favorite movies. The ending is certainly not Disney-like. However, the story is uplifting.

The sport of boxing seems to lend itself to making excellent sports movies.

Lol I had a debate on banning boxing, and someone brought that up on the CON side and forgot she dies at the end, quite ironic.

That's pretty funny. I guess she felt the movie delivered a strong positive message, to be able to completely forget the ending.