Jump to topic:

Whos the greatest team of all time?

SportsGuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/19/2009 2:59:32 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
It depends what you mean by greatest. The Pirates generally suck, but they have the league's best record in deciding Game 7's of the World Series (5-0). By comparison, theLwerd's Yankees are 5-6
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2009 11:33:26 AM
At 10/20/2009 11:21:21 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:
Sunderland AFC because they have the most loyal and vocal supporters and they are one of the oldest football clubs in existence.

http://www.safc.com...

... Fans have nothing to do with it, and just because a team is old doesn't make it good :P
President of DDO
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2009 4:53:11 PM
Without question, the original NWO: http://img253.imageshack.us...
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
SportsGuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2009 8:10:12 PM
At 10/20/2009 11:16:53 AM, theLwerd wrote:
How can you justify using Game 7's as an overall indication of who the best baseball team is?

I am not saying that Game 7's are the only indicator. I was just pointing out that list can drasitically change based on weight given to certain statistics, such as Game 7 records.

For example, if one uses forced turnovers as the main stat to weigh the best defense, SMU (Southern Methodist University) would be one of the best defenses in Division 1 college football, standing at #4 in the nation with 20 forced turnovers (The top three are Ohio, Iowa, and Air Force, with 23, 22, and 21 respectivly)
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2009 9:10:15 PM
At 10/20/2009 8:10:12 PM, SportsGuru wrote:
At 10/20/2009 11:16:53 AM, theLwerd wrote:
How can you justify using Game 7's as an overall indication of who the best baseball team is?

I am not saying that Game 7's are the only indicator. I was just pointing out that list can drasitically change based on weight given to certain statistics, such as Game 7 records.

For example, if one uses forced turnovers as the main stat to weigh the best defense, SMU (Southern Methodist University) would be one of the best defenses in Division 1 college football, standing at #4 in the nation with 20 forced turnovers (The top three are Ohio, Iowa, and Air Force, with 23, 22, and 21 respectivly)

My point was: Who the hell would use that (Game 7s) as an indicator? That's retarded. Similarly, forced turn-overs is a bad indicator as well; it's WAY too specific. Something broad like who has the best defense is much more appropriate. And btw, Ohio and Iowa really ARE part of the top teams in the country. SMU? Never heard of it. So, this indicates that those minor indicators are kind of useless and irrelevant :|
President of DDO
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2009 9:15:25 PM
Similarly, forced turn-overs is a bad indicator as well; it's WAY too specific. Something broad like who has the best defense is much more appropriate.
"Who has the best defense" is not a question that can be answered without making assumptions about how much statistics like forced turnovers, points against per game, yardage per down,etc, are relevant on that front
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/20/2009 9:20:53 PM
At 10/20/2009 9:15:25 PM, Ragnar_Rahl wrote:
Similarly, forced turn-overs is a bad indicator as well; it's WAY too specific. Something broad like who has the best defense is much more appropriate.
"Who has the best defense" is not a question that can be answered without making assumptions about how much statistics like forced turnovers, points against per game, yardage per down,etc, are relevant on that front

Duh. But you can't tell who's the best defense by ONE statistic, such as forced turn-overs. You need a bunch: sacks, interceptions, points allowed per game, tackles, etc.
President of DDO
theitalianstallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/21/2009 1:46:25 PM
1995-1996 Nebraska Cornhuskers

Beat Oklahoma State 64-21
Beat Michigan State 50-10
Beat Arizona State 77-28
Beat Pacific 49-7
Beat Washington State 35-21
Beat Missouri 57-0
Beat Kansas State 49-25
Beat Colorado 44-21
Beat Iowa State 73-14
Beat Kansas 41-3
Beat Oklahoma 37-0
Beat Florida 62-24 (National Championship game)

The Cornhuskers outscored their opponents 638-174 for an average final of 53-14.
With the exception of Washington State, Nebraska outscored all of its opponents' final scores by halftime. Six of Nebraska's opponents were outscored by the end of the first quarter.

In twelve games, Nebraska amassed 6,748 total yards while holding opponents to just 3,586 for an average of 562 yards to 298.
When Reach fell, I came.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2009 8:11:58 AM
At 10/21/2009 5:12:21 PM, Steinspitze wrote:
The Six-Time SuperBowl Champion Pittsburgh Steelers (Football)

Lol the Yankees have won 26 World Series...

I don't think this thread specified a specific sport :)
President of DDO
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2009 9:14:36 AM
At 10/20/2009 11:33:26 AM, theLwerd wrote:
Sunderland AFC because they have the most loyal and vocal supporters and they are one of the oldest football clubs in existence.

... Fans have nothing to do with it, and just because a team is old doesn't make it good :P

No, it doesn't make them good, it makes them great.

Sunderland are not the most successful team at the moment (although we are currently 7th in the Premier League and have been consistently in the top flight for over 130 years) but our supporters have always turned up and out-sung all the opposition even during the bad times.

Furthermore, Sunderland is one of the most economically-depressed cities in the country so the cost of the match ticket means a lot more to our supporters than the over-privileged scum that infest Stamford Bridge.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2009 9:30:53 AM
At 10/22/2009 9:14:36 AM, brian_eggleston wrote:

No, it doesn't make them good, it makes them great.

Sunderland are not the most successful team at the moment (although we are currently 7th in the Premier League and have been consistently in the top flight for over 130 years) but our supporters have always turned up and out-sung all the opposition even during the bad times.

Furthermore, Sunderland is one of the most economically-depressed cities in the country so the cost of the match ticket means a lot more to our supporters than the over-privileged scum that infest Stamford Bridge.

Bravo. That was a really moving response, Brian. I'm shedding a tear on the inside. Really, I am. I mean, it's neat that the sport means so much to the fans over there (probably because they have nothing else to cling to, since they're under-privileged like you said). It might make for a louder, rowdier and more meaningful match, but in the end, the team isn't any better because they have more passionate fans. Of course the energy at a game has some impact; however, in the end it's about skill, talent, hard work and performance. Maybe a little luck - who knows.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2009 3:35:25 PM
At 10/22/2009 3:32:54 PM, theitalianstallion wrote:
Hold on guys. You're not doing the best team, you're doing the best franchise.

True. In that case... let me think about it.
President of DDO
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2009 12:08:26 PM

Sunderland FTW!!
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
Vi_Veri
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2009 12:08:44 PM

They also have an excellent captain.
I could give a f about no haters as long as my ishes love me.
leet4A1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/8/2009 5:50:58 PM
Definitely not the Orlando Magic because they're getting their @$$ kicked as we speak and are probably going to cost me bulk money.
"Let me tell you the truth. The truth is, 'what is'. And 'what should be' is a fantasy, a terrible terrible lie that someone gave to the people long ago. The 'what should be' never did exist, but people keep trying to live up to it. There is no 'what should be,' there is only what is." - Lenny Bruce

"Satan goes to church, did you know that?" - Godsands

"And Genisis 1 does match modern science... you just have to try really hard." - GR33K FR33K5
untitled_entity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/9/2009 6:48:49 PM
At 11/8/2009 10:47:52 PM, Lwerd wrote:
At 11/8/2009 5:57:05 PM, untitled_entity wrote:
the 1980 U.S. Olympic Hockey Team.....

Good call.

Thanks. Not to mention that today's NHL teams are full of whiny b1tches.

Define: Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin