Jump to topic:

Future of NFL QBs

Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2012 8:54:14 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
What does the future of the role of the NFL QB look like? What I'm mostly wondering about is if the pocket passer is a dying breed (but this thread is free to go wherever on the opening question).

While Drew Brees and the Super Manning Bros have been dominating the league, the Rookies, which while not nearly as good have completely stolen the spotlight. Between Newton, Luck, Griffin, and Wilson, all have been very successful (personally at least) and are looking to have very solid careers (inb4 injury prone of running QBs). But apart from them, looking at the upcoming QBs from College we see more of the same (actually a ton more of the same).

The top 3 QBs for the Heisman were are strong runners (2 of them actually had more rushing TDs than passing TDs). With Freshman like Johnny Manziel, Marcus Mariota, Brett Hundley, and J.W. Walsh coming up through college already driving through devastating team after team and if the current NFL rookies show that they can do well (with 3 rookie QBs possibly going to the playoffs) then the stigma of running QBs might be long pass.

As for their fragility, Manziel rushed for over 1,100 yards against SEC defenses and set an SEC record for most total yards.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2012 10:51:26 PM
A QB has to be able to throw, and running is just an added benefit. I think any NFL coach would take a QB with a great arm and less mobility over a QB with an average arm and the ability to run. The QB run-game is not very reliable; it requires a particular breakdown of defense. The QB sneak has always been a play option, though now it's used more often as more QBs are able and willing. I think going forward, QBs will be expected to run more as it just makes them more well-rounded players, but it definitely won't (and shouldn't) be mandatory. As you noted, there are plenty of stellar QBs who don't have that capacity. Brett Favre nearly going to the Superbowl when he was like 80 is a testament to the fact that throwing is still the most important aspect of any QB. I do think though that you will see more QBs running in the future, just because it's become sort of the norm for those with the athletic ability to do so. People will now start expecting a QB to be able to run as just another element of their skill set, though I think at the NFL level it won't be a priority.
President of DDO
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2012 11:24:22 PM
I'd worry about it when true dual threat QB's start winning super bowls. As of now though it looks like a Manning or Rodgers or Brady or Schaub are going to win this year and for years to come.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler