Total Posts:18|Showing Posts:1-18
Jump to topic:

poker

Miles_Finch
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2009 5:39:11 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I haven't played poker that much so I don't know any strategies. Just have fun it is just a game, unless you are really winning money, then take it seriously.
I debate what I feel is wrong and I play devil's advocate to open people up to the other side, if the arguements are vaild.
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2009 7:40:40 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I'm pretty good. My stategy is to never talk or show any emotion or noise whatsoever. Never show your cards when you win a hand. Never give anything away. Don't bet unless you have good cards - like some people bet just for the sake of it - it is a waste of chips and adds up after a while. That's it in a nutshell.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2009 7:44:24 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I love it. I've got a monthly home game and am playing online as I type this. I'd enjoy reading/participating in a poker-related debate =D
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2009 7:48:59 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/16/2009 7:40:40 PM, Nags wrote:
I'm pretty good. My stategy is to never talk or show any emotion or noise whatsoever. Never show your cards when you win a hand. Never give anything away. Don't bet unless you have good cards - like some people bet just for the sake of it - it is a waste of chips and adds up after a while. That's it in a nutshell.

I have to disagree there for a few reasons. First of all, you want to avoid becoming predictable. Raising with only a certain type of hand allows others to adapt and respond accordingly (folding, in this case). Secondly, as a player who loves seeing a lot of flops, garbage can turn to gold in a second. Depending on your position, raising low cards can reap some rewards.

I also disagree with not showing any emotion or talking but that's just preference, I suppose. I love doing a lot of talking, for both enjoyment's sake and in the hopes that others will respond in kind. Many players become looser in that type of environment.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2009 7:56:51 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/16/2009 7:48:59 PM, Maikuru wrote:
I have to disagree there for a few reasons. First of all, you want to avoid becoming predictable. Raising with only a certain type of hand allows others to adapt and respond accordingly (folding, in this case).

I only show my hand if I win. If I lose or fold, I never show my cards. Thus, it would be impossible to tell if I only bet on good cards.

Secondly, as a player who loves seeing a lot of flops, garbage can turn to gold in a second. Depending on your position, raising low cards can reap some rewards.

Probability is on my side, I'll take it.

I also disagree with not showing any emotion or talking but that's just preference, I suppose. I love doing a lot of talking, for both enjoyment's sake and in the hopes that others will respond in kind. Many players become looser in that type of environment.

I talk after I fold and in between hands, but never when I have cards in my hand or when the game is actually being played. I notice lots of tells by people who talk and show emotion, so I'm not going to give my opponent's an equal advantage.
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2009 8:16:43 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/16/2009 7:56:51 PM, Nags wrote:
I only show my hand if I win. If I lose or fold, I never show my cards. Thus, it would be impossible to tell if I only bet on good cards.

Even when folding is the norm at a table, it takes little time to realize what types of hands a player takes all the way. If every revealed hand only contains certain cards, a pattern is established. It would be one thing to use this strategy as an advantage and abuse your opponents' beliefs about your cards, but only betting with the goods defeats that.

Then of course there are the matters of bluffing, varying play to match your opponents, and being blinded away while waiting for good starters.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2009 8:26:04 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/16/2009 8:16:43 PM, Maikuru wrote:
At 10/16/2009 7:56:51 PM, Nags wrote:
I only show my hand if I win. If I lose or fold, I never show my cards. Thus, it would be impossible to tell if I only bet on good cards.

Even when folding is the norm at a table, it takes little time to realize what types of hands a player takes all the way. If every revealed hand only contains certain cards, a pattern is established. It would be one thing to use this strategy as an advantage and abuse your opponents' beliefs about your cards, but only betting with the goods defeats that.

Then of course there are the matters of bluffing, varying play to match your opponents, and being blinded away while waiting for good starters.

Hmm... I've never had the problems mentioned above. Maybe it's because the players I play with are not advanced enough. Regardless, I win in Texas Hold 'Em a good 80% of the time. I'll stick with my strategy. :)
Maikuru
Posts: 9,112
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2009 8:34:23 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/16/2009 8:26:04 PM, Nags wrote:
Hmm... I've never had the problems mentioned above. Maybe it's because the players I play with are not advanced enough. Regardless, I win in Texas Hold 'Em a good 80% of the time. I'll stick with my strategy. :)

That could be the potential problem with a poker debate. If you aren't discussing the odds of particular match-ups, so much of it boils down to who you're playing against. A lot of my strategy likely comes from repeated games against the same people, so if your strategy works with your friends, keep it up =D

Do you play online? Right now I only play the hold em application on Facebook but I've been wanting to try fulltiltpoker.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
Xer
Posts: 7,776
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/16/2009 8:41:41 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/16/2009 8:34:23 PM, Maikuru wrote:
That could be the potential problem with a poker debate. If you aren't discussing the odds of particular match-ups, so much of it boils down to who you're playing against. A lot of my strategy likely comes from repeated games against the same people, so if your strategy works with your friends, keep it up =D

It's usually with the same friends, so I think that plays a big part in it. They refuse to play money when I play poker now! Haha, they know they're most likely gunna lose, so if I'm around we only play for fun. A little depressing...

Do you play online? Right now I only play the hold em application on Facebook but I've been wanting to try fulltiltpoker.

Meh. I've tried online but it's just not the same to me. I like being with actual people. Plus, when you're not playing for money people tend not to try as hard and don't play seriously. Some of the funnest parts of poker are missing - grabbing real chips and stacking them up; bluffing; reading tells; interacting with live people; getting real $$$, et cetera.
tmhustler
Posts: 68
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/17/2009 2:34:38 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
thinking for a debate small ball poker is the best tragedy to be a profitable poker player.
latest debate http://www.debate.org...
purpose of education only 3 votes so far
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2009 8:13:29 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
At 10/16/2009 9:08:49 PM, Cody_Franklin wrote:
At 10/16/2009 8:49:39 PM, feverish wrote:
Poker is not a contact sport...

Fixed.

No, I agree with feverish. Poker is not a sport. It's a game.
President of DDO
tmhustler
Posts: 68
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/22/2009 2:08:11 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
poker is a game like chess, it requires a great deal of mental energy to play well. also sports seamed to be the most suitable forum. baseball GAME, football GAME, etc ha
latest debate http://www.debate.org...
purpose of education only 3 votes so far
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
10/23/2009 12:47:57 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I'm not saying this didn't belong in the Sports forum. I'm just saying poker isn't a sport :) Hey if they show it on ESPN, you might as well post it here, right?
President of DDO