Jump to topic:

Kevin-Prince Boateng walks off field

Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2013 9:15:00 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Seriously? This is acceptable in Europe?

A professional athlete giving up a competition just because some drunken idiots chant at them?
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2013 4:12:23 AM
At 1/7/2013 1:23:54 AM, LeafRod wrote:
^Classic response. Totally classic.

Do you even follow sports?

American football mostly. Wherein leaving the field during a game is something that gets you called a "diva." (See Randy Moss). That's not a good thing btw.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2013 9:14:44 AM
What I don't understand is how walking off the field helped him or his team in any way. By doing that, it makes the racist chanters appear as if they've won. They insulted a player and got him to leave... isn't that what they wanted? Didn't they want him to either not play and/or feel inferior? While the player probably doesn't feel inferior, walking off could be perceived as a sign of weakness. We pay tribute to players like Jackie Robinson because they were able to compete though adversity. The best revenge would have been to kick a$s. I personally would have done my best and then took action after the game. Still, I understand his decision even though I don't think it was the best one.
President of DDO
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2013 11:08:30 AM
The issue is that this has happened for a really long time consistently, especially in European leagues. Moreover, FIFA's response has been weak and ineffective. The ultimate purpose of his walking off is to spur some greater action across leagues and on a bigger level, and so far it seems like it's starting to do so.
LeafRod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2013 11:12:26 AM
Also, no offense to you Danielle, but I feel like a lot of people who are insinuating that he should have kept on with it don't really understand the situation. He's kept on with it for his entire career. It's not like this is the first racist incident. He's already done everything others have suggested he might do - now he's taking greater action.

Most of his fans, the team's fans, and soccer fans in general have expressed support for his move, and basically all of his teammates (of course) have. I think Ragnar_Rahl's reaction is a little baseless ultimately because the people who are close to the situation and would have the same perspective as his post have had the opposite opinion. Also, Randy Moss never dealt with anything like this. Racism doesn't exist in American football like it does in European soccer.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2013 12:44:32 PM
I'm not offended (it takes a lot to offend me lol) and you're right - I know absolutely nothing about it. I had no idea racism was an issue in soccer. I would have assumed the opposite given it's the most global sport in the world with fans and players from every continent. If anything I assumed it brought people closer together... but I guess that's silly, considering how ridiculous people get over sporting rivalries. I guess any insult is fair game (pun intended).

As for FIFA, I think it's a tough call because ultimately it's the fans and not anybody employed by the organization who are doing this (so it's not like the players can sue for racism or anything like that). It's hard to hold fans accountable outside of asking them to leave the venue.

While I'll be the first to point out Ragnar's "insensitivity" - which I'm sure he's proud of, because for some reason he equates an autistic-like grasp of social skills/norms with logical prowess - I might be inclined to agree with him (somewhat) here. This guy is an athlete in the public eye, meaning he is going to be subject to particular nuances that non-celebrities don't have to worry about. Would he not play if a mean-spirited FB page were created about him like they are about hundreds of other famous people? It's mean, yes, but outside of removing the inappropriate fans from the venue, I'm not sure what you or he suggests should happen or what FIFA can reasonably be expected to do.

The guy should have the last laugh that the same people taunting him are (indirectly) paying his salary. I dunno... I just think if it were me, I would have went about it differently. I'm super competitive and I highly doubt I would let something like that stop me from doing my job, especially if I loved it and wanted to win (Do you know how many times I've had homophobic insults thrown at me?). I understand his action if it was a publicity stunt to bring more high-profile awareness to the issue though.
President of DDO
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2013 1:18:00 PM
I've never had a crowd of people chanting hatred towards me, I'm not sure exactly how that feels. I have a feeling this is the same impetus that caused Fail Mary - the refs were starting to fear for their lives.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/7/2013 2:56:53 PM
I'm thinking of writing an article on how ridiculously competitive people get over sports. If anyone can point me in the direction of things already written on the matter, that would help :)
President of DDO