Green Bay Packers Thread

R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2013 2:43:21 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
http://www.jsonline.com...

I know there are a few of you Packer fans on DDO, and I need something positive to discuss after just watching Collin Kaepernick deliver one of the most dramatically lop-sided offensive displays I've ever seen against our banged-up defense. I would argue that Rodgers got the job done on his side of the ball against the best D in the league, but our defense was completely overwhelmed. Colin Kaepernick is not the return of Achilles, he simply was matched against a group of players that don't comprise a top-notch defense.

Where should we draft? How complete will we otherwise be when injuries and contractual needs play out?

Personally, I am sick of seeing the piss-poor tackling. We were fine in 2010 then we were bouncing off players like everyone is wearing rubber suits. Two DBs sandwiched Kaepernick in the end-zone at full speed and he was still up when the play ended. Charles Woodson said afterwards that they were simply bigger and faster.

Should we keep Dom Capers? I think he deserves another shot.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 4:34:25 AM
Just a week before the packers were praised by ESPN for having a defense that seemed rejuvenated again when you guys dismantled the Vikings. Charles Woodson came back and Clay Matthews was back as well.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 9:53:14 AM
At 1/15/2013 4:34:25 AM, Loserboi wrote:
Just a week before the packers were praised by ESPN for having a defense that seemed rejuvenated again when you guys dismantled the Vikings. Charles Woodson came back and Clay Matthews was back as well.

Matthews isn't effective when we have so many injuries; our front-seven were just way too banged up. Once we are weak enough, they just tend to double-team him and run the opposite way to great effect. Woodson is way past his prime and obviously isn't going to do much against a QB with elite speed. When the season starts again it will be surprising how many starters we just saw this past weekend are on the bench as everyone comes back. Our best tackler, Desmond Bishop, will hopefully be back, as well as Nick Perry (our first-round draft pick pass-rusher) and Jerel Worthy (DE). Although we'd like to continue building the O-line, it seems that defense is still going to have to be the priority here and I'd like to see another DE and linebacker as our first two picks.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 10:18:43 AM
At 1/14/2013 2:43:21 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

I know there are a few of you Packer fans on DDO, and I need something positive to discuss after just watching Collin Kaepernick deliver one of the most dramatically lop-sided offensive displays I've ever seen against our banged-up defense. I would argue that Rodgers got the job done on his side of the ball against the best D in the league, but our defense was completely overwhelmed. Colin Kaepernick is not the return of Achilles, he simply was matched against a group of players that don't comprise a top-notch defense.

Where should we draft? How complete will we otherwise be when injuries and contractual needs play out?

Personally, I am sick of seeing the piss-poor tackling. We were fine in 2010 then we were bouncing off players like everyone is wearing rubber suits. Two DBs sandwiched Kaepernick in the end-zone at full speed and he was still up when the play ended. Charles Woodson said afterwards that they were simply bigger and faster.

The Packers are overrated and so is Aaron Rodgers.
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 11:47:04 AM
At 1/15/2013 10:18:43 AM, inferno wrote:

Aaron Rodgers is one of the best QB's I've seen. Definitely top 5 all time. As for the defense, I think you guys just weren't prepared for it. The read option is still pretty new in the NFL. It looked as if you guys went into the game expecting Alex Smith. I don't think it was the players and I don't think DC shouod be fired. You guys jumped from dead last in defense to 11th that's pretty damn good.
#BlackLivesMatter
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 2:13:51 PM
At 1/15/2013 11:47:04 AM, Agent_Orange wrote:

Aaron Rodgers is one of the best QB's I've seen. Definitely top 5 all time. As for the defense, I think you guys just weren't prepared for it. The read option is still pretty new in the NFL. It looked as if you guys went into the game expecting Alex Smith. I don't think it was the players and I don't think DC shouod be fired. You guys jumped from dead last in defense to 11th that's pretty damn good.

Top 5.............Kid how old are you ? You obviously need a brain surgeon. Hes not even in the top ten. =)
Koopin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 2:25:51 PM

Aaron Rodgers is one of the best QB's I've seen. Definitely top 5 all time.

Steady now....

Not that good.
kfc
Chicken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 4:39:16 PM

You know nothing about football if you make that statement.
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 4:45:56 PM
At 1/15/2013 2:25:51 PM, Koopin wrote:

Steady now....

Not that good.

That'd make him better than one of these guys
John Elway
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Joe Montana
Johnny Unitas
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
Chicken
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 6:33:31 PM
At 1/15/2013 4:45:56 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Steady now....

Not that good.

John Elway
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Joe Montana
Johnny Unitas

If this is top 5 I'd agree. Aaron Rodgers isn't even top 10.
Disciple of Koopin
Right Hand Chicken of the Grand Poobah DDO Vice President FREEDO

Servant of Kfc
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 11:18:34 PM
At 1/15/2013 4:45:56 PM, lewis20 wrote:

Steady now....

Not that good.

John Elway
Peyton Manning
Tom Brady
Joe Montana
Johnny Unitas

I'd pick Rodgers over Brady, and I'm not even close to a Rodger's fan.
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 11:22:56 PM
Hmmm Aaron Rodgers top ten... Maybe, I mean he has been praised by joe theisman for having the greatest release of all time. Yes Theisman stands by this he even went to say Rodgers might even be the most accurate quarterback he has ever seen in his lifetime as well.

But the top ten quarterbacks of all time as voted by from hall of game voters and sports writers are as follows

1. Montana
2. Unitas
3. Peyton Manning
4. Sammy Baugh
5. Otto Graham
6. Brett Favre
7. Tom Brady
8. John Elway
9. Dan Marino
10. Sid Luckman (never heard of him)

Is Rodgers better than Sid Luckman?

Ok but anyway... Rodgers is not overrated... To me he should be competing with Adrian Peterson for the MVP and not Manning. Rodgers has already achieved a whole mess of accolades that should put him somewhere in that conversation of top 10 of all time.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/15/2013 11:35:00 PM
At 1/15/2013 11:22:56 PM, Loserboi wrote:
Hmmm Aaron Rodgers top ten... Maybe, I mean he has been praised by joe theisman for having the greatest release of all time. Yes Theisman stands by this he even went to say Rodgers might even be the most accurate quarterback he has ever seen in his lifetime as well.

But the top ten quarterbacks of all time as voted by from hall of game voters and sports writers are as follows

1. Montana
2. Unitas
3. Peyton Manning
4. Sammy Baugh
5. Otto Graham
6. Brett Favre
7. Tom Brady
8. John Elway
9. Dan Marino
: 10. Sid Luckman (never heard of him)

Is Rodgers better than Sid Luckman?

Ok but anyway... Rodgers is not overrated... To me he should be competing with Adrian Peterson for the MVP and not Manning. Rodgers has already achieved a whole mess of accolades that should put him somewhere in that conversation of top 10 of all time.

Sid Luckman is still the Bears greatest QB ever. I'd put him lower than 10th all time (I think, I'll have to compile a list in a moment) but he's still one of the greatest NFL players of all time.

It's far too early to say Rodgers is a top 5 QB... he's still at the relative beginning of his career, and if he were to retire today, he would not be a hall of famer... if his trajectory stays the same though, and he stays healthy, being top 10 all time is easily within reach for him though.
Debate.org Moderator
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2013 12:00:05 AM
Top QBs of all time:

1. Joe Montana
2. Sammy Baugh
3. John Elway
4. Otto Graham
5. Johnny Unitas
6. Tom Brady
7. Steve Young
8. Bart Starr
9. Peyton manning
10. Brett Favre

I think the top 10 can be rearranged a bit.. but I think these are the top 10 in whatever order they are put in..

11. Dan Marino
12. Terry Bradshaw
13. Troy Aikman
14. Kurt Warner
15. Roger Staubach
16. Fran Tarkenton
17. Jim Kelly
18. Sid Luckman
19. Donovan McNabb
20. Joe Theismann
21. Benny Friedman
22. Ken Stabler
23. Steve McNair
24. Phil Simms
25. Bob Griese
26. Joe Namath
27. Warren Moon
28. Len Dawson
29. Boomer Esiason
30. Drew Bledsoe

I wouldn't say Aaron Rodgers is in this arbitrary top 30 best QBs of all-time yet... but if he plays a couple more years at the high level he has, he'll easily be near the top.

Bonus QBs

31. Dan Fouts
32. Daryle Lamonica
33. Norm Van Brocklin
34. Rich Gannon
35. Randall Cunningham
36. Jack Kemp
37. Ken Anderson
38. Mark Brunell
39. Y.A. Tittle
40. Jim Plunkett

In just the few season Rodgers has played though, he's easily among these guys, who all had very respectable NFL careers.

But to say Rodgers is in the top 5 right now though, is going too far. Longevity plays a huge part in 'the greatest ever' arguments, and Rodgers still hasn't played very long yet.
Debate.org Moderator
Zaradi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2013 12:19:21 AM
.-. Hey, y'all made it to the playoffs. Shut up and let me grieve for my long-dead Chargers D:
Want to debate? Pick a topic and hit me up! - http://www.debate.org...
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2013 12:57:39 AM
I love Steve young but to say he was one of the top 10 greatest quarterbacks is kind of a stretch... Steve young really only played 4 full seasons or so in his career. You take away that Super Bowl win + performance Dan fouts, And Marino probably would rank a lot higher than him.

Peyton Manning deserves top 5, nobody runs the kind of offense Peyton Manning runs, and not many in history have been able to read defenses as well as he could. Peyton is the only 4 time MVP ( probably bullsh1t 5 after this season) a guy like that has to be in the top 5. Think about all the records he holds and will probably break by the time his career is over. I hate manning but saying he is below young is insulting.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2013 1:10:53 AM
At 1/16/2013 12:57:39 AM, Loserboi wrote:
I love Steve young but to say he was one of the top 10 greatest quarterbacks is kind of a stretch... Steve young really only played 4 full seasons or so in his career. You take away that Super Bowl win + performance Dan fouts, And Marino probably would rank a lot higher than him.

Peyton Manning deserves top 5, nobody runs the kind of offense Peyton Manning runs, and not many in history have been able to read defenses as well as he could. Peyton is the only 4 time MVP ( probably bullsh1t 5 after this season) a guy like that has to be in the top 5. Think about all the records he holds and will probably break by the time his career is over. I hate manning but saying he is below young is insulting.

Yeah, I agree. I just threw the top 10 together. Though I enjoyed watching Young a lot more than I do Manning, Manning will have a far greater legacy when his career is over. He's also the greatest 'field general' of all time and his records will likely overshadow his mediocre history in the playoffs (Like Favre).
Debate.org Moderator
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2013 1:18:11 AM

That was a typo. It was supposed to read top 15. There's no way I'm putting him over Brady, Brees and definitely not Manning. And as a SF fan you already know who my number 1 is.
#BlackLivesMatter
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2013 1:20:51 AM
At 1/16/2013 1:18:11 AM, Agent_Orange wrote:

That was a typo. It was supposed to read top 15. There's no way I'm putting him over Brady, Brees and definitely not Manning. And as a SF fan you already know who my number 1 is.

Steve Spurrier?
Debate.org Moderator
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2013 1:22:39 AM
I'm reluctant to put any of today's QB's in the top 5 because the Montanas and Marinos played in a league where the defense could actually hit people. Those guys dominated defenses even when they were allowed to hit players wherever they wanted and fight receivers without getting a flag thrown everytime they so much as breathed on one. If they played in today's league, they would be out of this world. Marino could probably reach close to 6,000 yards in a season and the other guys could have easily set other records that today's QBs wouldn't be able to touch.
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2013 1:38:46 AM
At 1/16/2013 1:22:39 AM, BlackVoid wrote:
I'm reluctant to put any of today's QB's in the top 5 because the Montanas and Marinos played in a league where the defense could actually hit people. Those guys dominated defenses even when they were allowed to hit players wherever they wanted and fight receivers without getting a flag thrown everytime they so much as breathed on one. If they played in today's league, they would be out of this world. Marino could probably reach close to 6,000 yards in a season and the other guys could have easily set other records that today's QBs wouldn't be able to touch.

This is a good point, and its difficult to compare QBs from different eras.

Benny Friedman (The best NFL HOF QB no one has ever heard of) is a really good example. He threw 20 TDs in a season at a time where an incomplete pass out of the back of the end zone meant a touchback. It was not a passing league back then and he still threw 20 TDs. This would be the equivalent to throwing about 70 TDs in todays game. in 1928 he led the league in both passing and rushing TDs (that will never happen again) and held the single season TD pass record for 13 years.

I don't think anyone could really compare the NFL league he played in with todays NFL, but he was clearly one of the best players at the time he did play... and that's probably the only metric we can really go by in the end.
Debate.org Moderator
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2013 4:27:27 AM
At 1/16/2013 1:38:46 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

Benny Friedman (The best NFL HOF QB no one has ever heard of) is a really good example. He threw 20 TDs in a season at a time where an incomplete pass out of the back of the end zone meant a touchback. It was not a passing league back then and he still threw 20 TDs. This would be the equivalent to throwing about 70 TDs in todays game. in 1928 he led the league in both passing and rushing TDs (that will never happen again) and held the single season TD pass record for 13 years.

I don't think anyone could really compare the NFL league he played in with todays NFL, but he was clearly one of the best players at the time he did play... and that's probably the only metric we can really go by in the end.

If we consider this wouldn't that mean defensive players statistics today should be greatly inflated compared to defensive players of the past due to the lack of leniency towards defenses today. So a defensive player like Darrelle Revis should be considered the greatest corner because his actions are so limited
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2013 11:50:42 AM
At 1/16/2013 4:27:27 AM, Loserboi wrote:
At 1/16/2013 1:38:46 AM, airmax1227 wrote:

If we consider this wouldn't that mean defensive players statistics today should be greatly inflated compared to defensive players of the past due to the lack of leniency towards defenses today. So a defensive player like Darrelle Revis should be considered the greatest corner because his actions are so limited

Depends on if he can have more dominant years. As it is, he's only had one. The others, he's been injured and/or not played as well as his 2010 campaign. But if he can have that kind of season year in and year out? Yes.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/16/2013 7:04:42 PM
Quarterbacks really only can be compared within their era. However, Rodgers, based on five seasons, is definitely doing as good or better than anybody who has ever thrown in the NFL. At this pace there won't even be a conversation about the GOAT. I suspect Rodgers will see the playoffs more consistently than any other QB in history, including Brady, when it all plays out.

The evidence comes not from his monumental personal stats, but from the accomplishments the team has seen with him at the helm. A team's primary mission every year is to win their division. Nobody shoots for the wildcard and the playoffs can't be considered without a playoff berth in the first place (Rodgers is now 5-3 in the postseason).

Our division is simply paralyzed by Rodgers (much like the AFC East is around Brady). In Rodgers' 5 seasons, he is a whopping 25-7 against NFC North teams, a division which has been anything but weak during that time-span (unlike the AFC Easy). This is utter domination. Because of Rodgers the division isn't four teams competing with each other, it is three teams trying to do anything they can to find an answer for Rodgers and the Packers. The era of the Patriots dominating the league might not be over, but Rodgers is slowly bringing the Packers up to that level and will likely take the torch from the Patriots as Brady begins to decline with age.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2013 1:22:43 AM
At 1/16/2013 7:04:42 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
Quarterbacks really only can be compared within their era. However, Rodgers, based on five seasons, is definitely doing as good or better than anybody who has ever thrown in the NFL. At this pace there won't even be a conversation about the GOAT. I suspect Rodgers will see the playoffs more consistently than any other QB in history, including Brady, when it all plays out.

The evidence comes not from his monumental personal stats, but from the accomplishments the team has seen with him at the helm. A team's primary mission every year is to win their division. Nobody shoots for the wildcard and the playoffs can't be considered without a playoff berth in the first place (Rodgers is now 5-3 in the postseason).

Our division is simply paralyzed by Rodgers (much like the AFC East is around Brady). In Rodgers' 5 seasons, he is a whopping 25-7 against NFC North teams, a division which has been anything but weak during that time-span (unlike the AFC Easy). This is utter domination. Because of Rodgers the division isn't four teams competing with each other, it is three teams trying to do anything they can to find an answer for Rodgers and the Packers. The era of the Patriots dominating the league might not be over, but Rodgers is slowly bringing the Packers up to that level and will likely take the torch from the Patriots as Brady begins to decline with age.

Ehhhh I don't see anyone ever dethroning Joe Montana as the GOAT for quarterbacks. Rodgers needs at least 3 Super Bowls to attempt to dethrone Joe Montana. I don't see Rodgers winning 3 superbowls, maybe two but I don't see him winning 3.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2013 8:44:38 AM

No. Definitely not. Not yet at least.
President of DDO
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2013 8:48:19 AM
At 1/16/2013 7:04:42 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

Wrong. Aaron Rodgers will go into a steady and slow decline once his injuries and team starts to decay rapidly after winning a title as this particular franchise has always done. Eli and Peyton Manning are way better than Rodgers. Not to mention Flac, Roth, and Brady.
He may win another ring soon. But I doubt seriously he will be even close to being as great as Tom Brady. A decade from now you wont even know who Rodgers is.............