Jump to topic:

New York Jets Thread

Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 8:06:03 AM
Posted: 3 years ago
So, the Jets have hired a new GM and a new offensive coordinator, Marty Mornhinweg. Marty spent his last 10 seasons with the Eagles. How do you like that, kids? The Jets in all of their brilliance have decided to hire an offensive coordinator coming off a 4 season win! JESUS CHRIST. Are you kidding me? Tony Sporano had more wins than this guy. Wtf.

Why can't the Jets ever get ANYTHING right when it comes to personnel changes as of late? Marty is coming in with the west-coast offense, which is completely contrary to Ryan's ground-and-pound philosophy. I mean I understand shaking things up a bit and trying something new, but are the Jets prepared for this? Um, no, PROBS NOT.

Let me ask this: Who is going to pilot this new west-coast offense from the QB position??? Sanchez is coming off the worst season of his career, and Tebow is still in limbo. Apparently he's the 3rd string QB. I don't even remember the name of the 2nd string QB. I mean this is crazy. We don't have the talent on offense to go in this direction right now, neither in terms of receivers and CERTAINLY not at QB!

So the question is this: What's going on with my Jets' QBs? Should Sanchez stay or go? (Keep in mind contract implications...) What does the future hold for Timmy Tebow? Who if anyone should the Jets look to bring in? People have been throwing around the name Michael Vick, but honestly, the only way America could possibly find the Jets more obnoxious at this juncture is by bringing in the league's most hated QB lol. Seriously. I mean even Jets fans might get pissed. For me, personally, I'd gladly take Vick over Sanchez as the starter. I think the Jets need to rebuild and focus on bringing in a new franchise QB to rejuvenate the team. For now, let's just grit our teeth and try to make it work. Marty and Vick are familiar with each other.

Personally - and this is completely ideal and I know it would never happen - I would bring Alex Smith over to be the Jets starting QB for now and keep Sanchez as a back-up. I know that can't/won't happen for a bunch of reasons.

I think the Jets should have fired Rex Ryan, and I really hate saying that. I truly like the guy as a person. I know everyone else doesn't. He's loud, he's brash, he's arrogant, pompous, obnoxious and, well, fat... but look where he plays! New Jersey,! Have you seen our governor?! (I have dual residence in NY/NJ). Lol, Christie and Ryan are like 2 peas in a pod. In fact Christie is a Jets fan. The fact is though that the Jets need a new offensive identity, and Ryan isn't an offensive-minded guy. I think the fans and players needed a complete rejuvenation, and since we can't fvcking get rid of Sanchez, getting rid of Ryan would have been the next best thing in terms of an identity shift. A new offensive coordinator is not enough - didn't they learn that from last season?

What changes do you think the Jets should have made and should make going forward? Try to keep this within the realm of realistic possibility...
President of DDO
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 3:55:55 PM
Isn't Tebow already gone? Tebow has to now beg Jacksonville to take him in, that's the only place he can maybe not be a joke and have a coach maybe build an offense around him. Tebow has become like a poison in every locker room just for being who he is.

I think the switch might seem drastic but you guys have to change it up. The jets originally relied on mediocre offense and excellent defensive plays. I'm pretty sure next season when Holmes returns, and Revis returns they will be significantly better. The jets need to start throwing big money at any prime time pass rusher to give that defense any real consistency. You guys don't have Jason Taylor or Shaun Ellis getting back there anymore.

As for quarterback... You guys are stuck where you are. Nobody is going to touch mark Sanchez and that big contract he has. I would love to see Alex smith as a jet. I have been suggesting that for a long time, but I don't think the jets can afford to pay two quarterbacks, starting quarterback money. I really wanted to see Smith succeed somewhere else and win a Super Bowl. (If that happened Warner Bros should make a movie about him)

The jets need to motivate the offensive line, and rebuild that team chemistry cause the locker room is probably a mess. Fixing that O-line is critical though... That O-line is a lot better than how they played last year.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 7:56:34 PM
So... the Eagles can let Vick go but the Jets can't ditch dirty Sanchez? Are their contracts completely different?
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 8:55:31 PM
Tebow isn't in limbo. Multiple sources have said that he's going to be released at some point. Regarding Sanchez, management has been open to trade offers for him, but obviously hasn't had any takers so far.

QB-wise, their best move imo would be to draft Landry Jones, especially if they plan on running the West Coast. Jones doesn't get a lot of media attention, but I've seen him play a lot of games. He's the most accurate QB in the 2013 class, makes quick decisions, and is sharp on the short to intermediate routes, all of which are key to running the WC. He's also got a strong arm that makes all the NFL throws. The reason he doesn't get the coverage Geno Smith does is because he struggles to throw on the run and has a propensity to make decisions that make you scratch your head, such as a dumb pass into double coverage. But he's gotten better with that in every year of his career, which makes me think he can overcome it entirely. I feel like he has a good enough mastery of the QB position to where he could come in and be successful immediately - if all the receivers stay healthy. The Jets are high enough on the draft order to have a good shot at grabbing him in the second round.

Loserboi is right that they need a pass rusher. If they can't get somebody out of free agency, Alex Okafor is a dominant DE/OLB they can grab in the first round. He's a monster pass rusher who had 4.5 sacks in his final game with Texas. He has a strong combination of raw strength and explosiveness, and scouts say he's very comparable to Terrell Suggs.

Regarding Rex Ryan, I used to agree with you that he should have been fired - but I've changed my mind. Think of it this way: talent-wise, the Jets are a 3 to 4 win team. They were a bad team to begin with, but then they lost Santonio Holmes and Dustin Keller for half the season, and Darelle Revis for 75% of it. But instead, they won 6 games. Thats more than they should have won. Not to mention that they were the #8 defense in the league, even without Revis (who is the key to their defense, allowing them to blitz and play man to man). Since Rex is a defensive-minded coach, thats a testament to his ability that he was able to put together a top 10 defense even without its best player. In contrast, look what happened to Wade Phillips' defense when he lost Brian Cushing.
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 9:02:56 PM
Theres a Canadian Team in the CFL that owns the rights to Tim Tebow if he decides to go play football up north, Tebow may just pull a Ricky Williams where he does well up in Canada for a bit until a team in the NFL expresses interest in him.
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Nidhogg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 9:59:40 PM
IM FROM PHILLY FVCK THE JETS GO EAGLES! WOO PHILLY CHEESESTEAK MUTHAFVCKER!!!!! SCREW NAC!!!!!

^Me being an average sports fan in my city.
Ridiculously Photogenic Debater

DDO's most mediocre member since at least a year ago
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 10:55:16 PM
At 1/19/2013 7:56:34 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
So... the Eagles can let Vick go but the Jets can't ditch dirty Sanchez? Are their contracts completely different?

They'd be better of trading him for a draft pick.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
lannan13
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2013 10:56:19 PM
At 1/19/2013 9:59:40 PM, Nidhogg wrote:
IM FROM PHILLY FVCK THE JETS GO EAGLES! WOO PHILLY CHEESESTEAK MUTHAFVCKER!!!!! SCREW NAC!!!!!

I love Philly chease steak.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-Lannan13'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

If the sky's the limit then why do we have footprints on the Moon? I'm shooting my aspirations for the stars.

"If you are going through hell, keep going." "Sir Winston Churchill

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." "Eleanor Roosevelt

Topics I want to debate. (http://tinyurl.com...)
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~
Nidhogg
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2013 1:24:10 PM
At 1/19/2013 10:56:19 PM, lannan13 wrote:
At 1/19/2013 9:59:40 PM, Nidhogg wrote:

I love Philly chease steak.

So do I
Ridiculously Photogenic Debater

DDO's most mediocre member since at least a year ago
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 8:25:47 AM
At 1/25/2013 6:47:33 AM, Loserboi wrote:
Awwww jets looking to get trade Revis now... Sad time for jets fans if they lose him.

Get some picks for him and take every quarterback in the draft. That's what I'd do.

Please stay in the AFC Revis.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 6:50:30 PM
At 1/25/2013 8:25:47 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:
Awwww jets looking to get trade Revis now... Sad time for jets fans if they lose him.

Get some picks for him and take every quarterback in the draft. That's what I'd do.

Come to the NFC and be a 49er for one year... After that one year get out, cause no corner is worth 65-70 million dollars which I believe he will demand.
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2013 7:39:21 PM
At 1/25/2013 6:50:30 PM, Loserboi wrote:
At 1/25/2013 8:25:47 AM, R0b1Billion wrote:

Come to the NFC and be a 49er for one year... After that one year get out, cause no corner is worth 65-70 million dollars which I believe he will demand.

I think the Niners should be looking at getting a solid #2 receiver, not a corner. But yeah I agree, a corner isn't worth it because too many teams have a pair of good wide-outs and Revis can only cover one of them.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 10:58:54 PM
At 1/25/2013 7:39:21 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
and Revis can only cover one of them.

...that depends lol. I've heard/seen otherwise but obviously it's a game to game basis.

I had no idea they were getting rid of their best player. I've been too busy for sports, especially since we're on a football hiatus until the Superbowl :/ I'll have to catch up.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the complete and utter lack of depth at WR. We had Tebow playing WR at one point. Can you guys even name 2 of the Jets receivers?
President of DDO
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/27/2013 11:10:19 PM
At 1/27/2013 10:58:54 PM, Danielle wrote:

...that depends lol. I've heard/seen otherwise but obviously it's a game to game basis.

I had no idea they were getting rid of their best player. I've been too busy for sports, especially since we're on a football hiatus until the Superbowl :/ I'll have to catch up.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the complete and utter lack of depth at WR. We had Tebow playing WR at one point. Can you guys even name 2 of the Jets receivers?

Sure. Santonio Holmes and Plaxico Burress.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Loserboi
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/28/2013 11:46:19 AM
At 1/27/2013 10:58:54 PM, Danielle wrote:

Kerley is fast
ChubbyFatz
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2013 8:07:51 PM
I am a longggggggg time Jets fan. In order for us to be successful again a couple things needed to get done.

1. We got a new GM

2. We got a new offensive coach, although his track record isn't impressive ANYONE is better then Sparano.

3. We need to resecure our OL and DL we went from having one of the best to non existent.

4. Keep Rex Ryan. I think he is the the right coach for his team. He is energetic and enthusiastic. Coaching a ny team you need steel balls and he got that.

5. The number one thing we need to go anywhere ever is a, at minimum, a half decent QB. Mark Sanchez is among the lowest of starting QBs in the league easily. If we were to have had any other QB 3 or 4 seasons ago I truly think we would've won a SB. Sanchez didn't take us to two AFC championship games, our defense and RBs ground and pound did. Any QB would've taken us there the way we played those two years but a decent QB would've taken the SB and possibly won it for us.

Sanchez on the Jets will never ever result in a SB. I will remain a die hard Jet fan but at the same time a realistic one.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/4/2013 8:08:01 AM
At 3/1/2013 8:07:51 PM, ChubbyFatz wrote:
4. Keep Rex Ryan. I think he is the the right coach for his team. He is energetic and enthusiastic. Coaching a ny team you need steel balls and he got that.

This is something I've said all season long (everyone outside of the Jets organization hates Rex Ryan). Then again, Tom Coughlin takes charge in a completely different, less flashy albeit more effective way.
President of DDO
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/5/2013 8:17:40 AM
At 3/4/2013 2:31:54 PM, Agent_Orange wrote:
Come on Jets! Send Revis to San Fran!

San Fran could have the best team in history this year.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Buddamoose
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2013 2:27:07 PM
Son: "Dad what's a touchdown?"

Dad: "I'm not sure son, we're Jets fans."
"Reality is an illusion created due to a lack of alcohol"
-Airmax1227

"You were the moon all this time, and he was always there to make you shine."

"Was he the sun?"

"No honey, he was the darkness"

-Kazekirion
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2013 4:52:37 PM
What an awful time to be a Jets fan. It's hard to imagine them doing any better than last in their division this year. And the circus surrounding Revis is only adding insult to injury.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
daytonanerd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2013 7:13:18 PM
No! We here in Tampa don't want the butt fumbler! I know we would get Revis, but to give up so many draft picks AND get Sanchez? Sanchez is such a waste of cap.
#FeeltheFreezerBern
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2013 10:02:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com...
Beliefs in a nutshell:
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/13/2013 10:07:49 PM
even better
Beliefs in a nutshell:
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/21/2013 10:53:27 PM
The Revis deal goes down for a 1st rounder this year and a 3rd or 4th rounder next year (Bucs). What. A. Disaster. Can anyone explain this to me? It seems absolutely preposterous. For a player of that caliber, I would have wanted two 1st rounders at the very least.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
Agent_Orange
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/22/2013 8:51:26 PM
At 4/21/2013 10:53:27 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:
The Revis deal goes down for a 1st rounder this year and a 3rd or 4th rounder next year (Bucs). What. A. Disaster. Can anyone explain this to me? It seems absolutely preposterous. For a player of that caliber, I would have wanted two 1st rounders at the very least.

I can't explain it. It was ludicrously one sided deal. Jets front office should be ashamed.
#BlackLivesMatter
Ore_Ele
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
4/27/2013 1:12:16 PM
So the Jets have drafted Geno Smith in the second round. Anyone care to speculate what that means for Sanchez and the rest of the QBs over there?
"Wanting Red Rhino Pill to have gender"
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2013 12:08:07 PM
At 4/21/2013 10:53:27 PM, R0b1Billion wrote:

Stupid. STUPID. STUUUUPID. I completely agree with Orange: the Jets front office should be (even more) ashamed. I suspect that the Bucs are going to be a huge force to be reckoned with now also. I think if they had a quick, young QB like Kaepernick or Wilson, they'd go all the way. Schiano is going to do wonders for them. /End Rutgers bias
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/9/2013 12:11:13 PM
At 4/27/2013 1:12:16 PM, Ore_Ele wrote:
So the Jets have drafted Geno Smith in the second round. Anyone care to speculate what that means for Sanchez and the rest of the QBs over there?

I think it will be the same sh!t as last year. Sanchez might do okay, so the Jets play him for more games than he deserves before letting Smith take the reigns. When he does, I think he will be average - certainly no Luck, RG3 or Wilson. They'll probably be similar in skill with different strengths. I hope Ryan doesn't do what he tried to do with Tebow though and have them "share" the starting position. They either need to give Sanchez control (though this has probably messed with his psyche - AGAIN) or start Smith early and let him develop. I suspect the latter will come true; I don't think Jet fans have a lot of patience left for either Sanchez OR Ryan. This should certainly be the last straw for both of them. I think Ryan will fare better than Sanchez when it comes to pressure though. I think the Jets will do okay and have an average season as they did last year, but probably not make the playoffs.
President of DDO