Jump to topic:

Eliminate place-kicking

R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 12:38:38 PM
Posted: 3 years ago
Skip Bayless has an interesting article on ESPN: http://espn.go.com...

His reasoning in eliminating kick-offs and field-goals (punts would replace kick-offs, from the 25 or 30 yard line perhaps):

- solve the kick-off ethics issue that has recently gained salience
- kickers are unusually high in importance (they always dominate the total points category over QBs/RBs/WRs)
- don't let an insignificant player (who arguably doesn't fit the mold of a "football player") decide big games
- examples abound involving drama with kickers throughout NFL playoff history (e.g., Scott Norwood for the infamous 90s Bills).

I'd like to add:
- eliminate the recent need for special OT rules for playoff games, because of how unsatisfying it is to see them decided by a quick coin-toss/FG

I agree with Bayless that it's worth at least a try. Field goals and extra points are boring and unsatisfying.
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
BlackVoid
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 5:54:23 PM
Skip Bayless has an interesting article on ESPN:

http://espn.go.com...

His reasoning in eliminating passes (runs would replace passes):

- Solve the defenseless receiver injury issue that has recently gained salience
- Quarterbacks are unusually high in importance (they always dominate the total points category over RBs/WRs)
- don't let an insignificant player (who arguably doesn't fit the mold of a "football player", such as small guys like Drew Brees) decide big games
- examples abound involving drama with quarterbacks throughout NFL playoff history (e.g., Brett Favre's crazy interception for the infamous 2009 Vikings).

I'd like to add:
- eliminate the recent need for clutchness in playoff games, because of how unsatisfying it is to see them decided by a QB throwing an interception

I agree with Bayless that it's worth at least a try. Screen passes and dumpoffs are boring and unsatisfying.

___

I just had to :p
airmax1227
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 7:12:54 PM
Anything said after "Skip Bayless" is difficult to take seriously...

And I couldn't disagree more with this anyway... Kicking is part of the game.
Debate.org Moderator
R0b1Billion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2013 7:31:18 PM
At 1/31/2013 5:54:23 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
Skip Bayless has an interesting article on ESPN:

http://espn.go.com...

His reasoning in eliminating passes (runs would replace passes):

- Solve the defenseless receiver injury issue that has recently gained salience
- Quarterbacks are unusually high in importance (they always dominate the total points category over RBs/WRs)
- don't let an insignificant player (who arguably doesn't fit the mold of a "football player", such as small guys like Drew Brees) decide big games
- examples abound involving drama with quarterbacks throughout NFL playoff history (e.g., Brett Favre's crazy interception for the infamous 2009 Vikings).

I'd like to add:
- eliminate the recent need for clutchness in playoff games, because of how unsatisfying it is to see them decided by a QB throwing an interception

I agree with Bayless that it's worth at least a try. Screen passes and dumpoffs are boring and unsatisfying.

___

I just had to :p

8(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
Beliefs in a nutshell:
- The Ends never justify the Means.
- Objectivity is secondary to subjectivity.
- The War on Drugs is the worst policy in the U.S.
- Most people worship technology as a religion.
- Computers will never become sentient.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2013 12:58:24 PM
At 1/31/2013 7:12:54 PM, airmax1227 wrote:
Anything said after "Skip Bayless" is difficult to take seriously...

That, I doubt Skip Bayless has played a down of football in his entire life. Plus he's awful.
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler
DWolf2k2
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2013 12:46:50 AM
Skip Bayless has a point, but I seriously disagree with this. Yeah it seems corny, but people complain and praise last second plays all the time. Besides, I think the closest Bayless has ever had to a pressure situation is having 20 minutes to a deadline. Just my two cents.
lewis20
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2013 12:48:36 AM
I don't like the double standard we hold for our sports. Football is dangerous because you might take a nasty shot to the head, but boxing and UFC are alright despite the entire goal being nasty shots to the head?
"If you are a racist I will attack you with the north"- Abraham Lincoln

"Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material" - Leviticus 19 19

"War is a racket" - Smedley Butler