Jump to topic:

Heisman Race

theitalianstallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2009 2:57:52 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I have two problems with this years race; Tim Tebow and Ndamukong Suh.

The Heisman is supposed, or its original purpose was, to go to the best player in the country.

This season, Tim Tebow as been by far the best player in the country. There are quarterbacks in the SEC that eclipse his numbers. He is only in the race because of his performance the previous two seasons and the celebrity status he has attained.

Ndamukong Suh has been mentioned by a few analysts as a contender, but poll seems to think that a defensive player should be given a shot to win the heisman. I am not saying that Suh has been the best player, but has been one of the most dominant players in the country this year and is not given a chance because he plays on defense.

Any thoughts?
When Reach fell, I came.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2009 10:32:20 PM
Ndamukong Suh absolutely deserves to be a contendor. To not consider an individual because they play defense is absurd. There's never been a defensive Heisman winner; I think every single winner has been a RB or QB except for 5 in the history of the award (and those 5 have played WR or TE). How about some love for the offensive linemen whom without which an offense would not even be possible?! Anyway I personally love a good Safety. When I played in a tough football league, it was my favorite position to play (aside from TE). Defense wins games. Ndamukong Suh has been outstanding. He should be in the running. Period.
President of DDO
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/10/2009 10:33:00 PM
Stallion - Who do you think should be up there? Tim Tebow is fantastic but I agree with your assessment about his fame. Also, he's on a good team. That helps.
President of DDO
theitalianstallion
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2009 1:06:46 PM
At 11/10/2009 10:33:00 PM, theLwerd wrote:
Stallion - Who do you think should be up there? Tim Tebow is fantastic but I agree with your assessment about his fame. Also, he's on a good team. That helps.

-The QB from Oregon. His name escapes me, but even in the loss to Stanford, he put up some good numbers.

-Colt McCoy. He's had an average year compared to his others, but is still putting up gaudy numbers; better than most at the position.

-CJ Spiller. He plays in a bad conference, on a mediocre team; the award is for the best player, not the best player on the best team.
When Reach fell, I came.
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/12/2009 3:43:47 PM
Tim Tebow is barely having his third-best season. He'll be considered, but I'll lean toward the Alabama RB.

Whatever his name is.
NightLane
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2009 9:36:02 AM
mark ingram?
and I am too, not just because I'm an Alabama fan. With an average passing game, Ingram still manages to put up good numbers against a lot of the good teams Alabama has faced.
Same goes for Toby Gerhart.
As for Ndamukong Suh, Nebraska needs to win more because voters only vote for players on winning teams

also, do all of you think Case Keenum is a system quarterback or an actual good one?
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/15/2009 11:38:57 AM
At 11/15/2009 9:36:02 AM, NightLane wrote:
mark ingram?

Yes, him.

also, do all of you think Case Keenum is a system quarterback or an actual good one?

Too early to tell. He's led some comebacks, which usually points toward instinct over indoctrination. It's tough to gauge things like this after one season.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/28/2009 9:09:19 AM
Add CJ Spiller to that list. He may not be as fancy shmancy as the others, but he's a big player, makes huge plays, people alter their game around him, he's set a few records this year, etc. I'm watching him spank S. Carolina right now where he just returned a kick off for a TD at the start of the game, which he's done 7 times :) I'll leave it at that for now. Any other suggestions?
President of DDO
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/29/2009 1:38:16 AM
Don't discount the RB from Stanford, either. Or the Oregon QB. Again, I can't think of their names, and don't feel like pulling up ESPN.com to find out.

But they'll lost out to Tebow or McCoy, or possibly the Alabama RB, because those fellows have a Conference Championship Game and the Pac-10 doesn't.
Danielle
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
11/30/2009 12:34:52 AM
Looks like it's between Mark Ingram, Toby Gerhart, Colt McCoy, CJ Spiller and Tim Tebow. Honestly, this is a REALLY hard one to pick for me. I definitely wouldn't give it to Tebow though. A lot of people think it's between Gerhart and McCoy, but honestly I'm not familiar enough with Gerhart's playing to have an informed decision on the guy. I've seen a lot of the others play but haven't watched a Stanford game this season - only highlights. Final thoughts?
President of DDO
USAPitBull63
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2009 7:28:37 PM
Posted: 6 years ago
At 11/12/2009 3:43:47 PM, USAPitBull63 wrote:
Tim Tebow is barely having his third-best season. He'll be considered, but I'll lean toward the Alabama RB.

Whatever his name is.

Go me. :)